PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 September 2021

acolyte

They were very, very good today. This was one of the best Newcastle performances I've seen in years.
Yeah I know they weren't bad but I was trying to make the Woodman joke. Maybe I should have used "well drilled" instead?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not the best performance overall, but a win is a win.

I still think the ball is being moved too slowly and passes aren't been taken when they are on, instead the ball is brought back inside and moved across only to be brought put into the middle and lost. It's very frustrating how many times the wrong option is taken.

The midfield was bypassed by simple passes too many times. Matic hasn't got the legs anymore and he slows the play down way too much.
The fact we weren't at our scintillating best only encourages me more. Newcastle defended as well as any team will at OT this season - they were dangerous on the counter, too - yet we still won the game comfortably. We were flat out poor against Wolves but, again, still ground out a win.

It's what title-winning sides do.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think there is an element of worry when playing teams that just sit back. In the first half we struggled badly to break them down. But i think part of it is to wear them down so that in the latter part of the second half chances will come.

I think as well we will look better against the good teams ironically. The better teams would attack more and we would counter. It is when we come up against teams that just sit back and park the bus, like the Europa league final last season, where we struggle.

Chip

Great win. But is it just me or do we needlessly throw away the ball at an alarming rate?

largelyworried

Defence still shaky as hell, luckily we got some goals at the right time.
Agreed. I think the actual back line was ok, it was the defensive midfield that was the root cause. Runners coming from deep unchallenged yet again, same as last game. Definitely needs sorting.

bondsname

I was frustrated during the whole game but now after we've got 3 points, scored 4 wonderful goals, Ronaldo is back, and that's how I'll remember this game in the future.

I do hope we pick it up a notch from here on, there's some sloppiness and ball hogging going on now. Probably something to do with match-fitness.

suheilsworld

I know it’s early days and our misfield is still a question mark, but these are the kind of games where we were dropping points and cost us last season. So it was refreshing to get over these games where teams are defending with 10 men. Onwards and upwards

NewUser777

Really dont care if we should or could have done that or this. It was the perfect set up and we have been waiting all week for it. Loved it! We are two signings off being the best team in the world! Glory glory Man Utd!

Regalia

That 2nd Ronaldo goal was sublime. Like he never left. Takes me back 13 years, ah the memories. That red shirt just feels right on him. :)

downunder red

Rumor has it Madrid are putting a bid together next summer for CR7.
Great result when you think of all the international duties some of them had.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
That 2nd Ronaldo goal was sublime. Like he never left. Takes me back 13 years, ah the memories. That red shirt just feels right on him. :)
Yea the touch to set up was brilliant. Meant to put it through the legs as well.

Dream debut from Ronaldo. Didn't expect it to go so well. Sancho was good, especially in the first half - I don't know why people are slacking him so much. Pogba was amazing. Bruno was terrible, if not for his goal. Ole needs to tell him to relax and stop trying to make shit happen when there is no need to. Some of his decisions are utterly baffling. His greed is also unbecoming for a United player. I love that part about Bruno, but sometimes he just tries too hard and is a detriment to the team. Varane was absolute class, Maguire did well, but had some costly mistakes, which is kinda like a staple for him at the moment. Matic was fecking dreadful.

And I don't think we played all that well, tbh. Newcastle with their few attacks were far more dangerous than us with our mindless possession. Few class individual performances and an overall headless team that has problems stringing simple passes and has the tempo of playing a pre-season friendly. I don't know what is going with the coaching, but it's pretty bad. My main criticism has to go towards Ole. He continues to make dreadful team selections. Matic had no business being in this game (or any game for that matter at this point)

I'm afraid we can't rely on Ronaldo every time to bail us out or Pogba or Bruno or whoever. The coaching really needs to step its game up and instead of individual brilliance, we have to start producing great teamwork and great teamplay. Otherwise it's simply another wasted season for us with a simple top 4 finish and nothing else to show for. I know that I may be too harsh given the result, but the scoreline is flattering for us, tbh.
What exactly do you know about the coaching at United?

And what specific changes to the coaching do you want?

Mickson

Not a classic, but we have match winners all over the pitch which makes it inevitable that we win these games in the end.

Dazzmondo

Don't want to get too carried away lads but I'm pretty confident we're winning the quadruple and going unbeaten all season with Ronaldo scoring 100 goals and Pogba getting 100 assists

Offsideagain

The defence is ok, what isn’t ok is the midfield in front of them. Imagine if we had Kante playing for us. We would give City and the rest a good run for their money. A 7 out of 10 performance from the team today. Too slow at times but the papers say we won and are top so does it matter? We have played much better and lost.

largelyworried

The fact we weren't at our scintillating best only encourages me more. Newcastle defended as well as any team will at OT this season - they were dangerous on the counter, too - yet we still won the game comfortably. We were flat out poor against Wolves but, again, still ground out a win.

Occasionally, yes, but not often. Usually they don’t need to because usually they play well.

The defence is ok, what isn’t ok is the midfield in front of them. Imagine if we had Kante playing for us. We would give City and the rest a good run for their money. A 7 out of 10 performance from the team today. Too slow at times but the papers say we won and are top so does it matter? We have played much better and lost.
I agree overall... but match fitness still needs to develop and quite a few new players in the 11 and it takes time for them all the gel.

Oranges038

They did aye. And in the last couple of years these have been the teams this team has struggled agianst and they have come away with positive results from their point of view.

Personally, I think the speed of play needs to improve it should be 1 or 2 at most 3 touches, too many times it's slowed down to a snails pace and it's 4/5/6 touches and players just standing around static because they've made a move and the pass hasn't come. It's too slow and it restricts the options for the passer. It's why it ends up being sideways/sideways/backways passing that goes nowhere.

That and decison making needs to improve drastically if this side is seriously going to challenge for or win the title.

lex talionis

I think we’ve just got to hope this is another RVP season. We’ve seen that we’re still vulnerable when players go at us.
The pieces are there for a historic season, but we definitely need to perform better against parked bus sides. The last third passing was brutal until the final goal, the first “team goal” we’ve scored in a long time.

Pavl3n

A bit of flattering result for us.
Sloppiness and lack of tempo give a bad taste to very good four goals.
We need a little time until everyone gels in. We had on paper 3 new signings in the starting 11.
This team will get better with time.
I hope we get a midfielder in the winter.

Spoony

The People's President
New signing scored a couple of goals. Seems to have the fanbase in his pocket just after one game.

choccy77

Great result today, so much pressure on Ronaldo and the team but they did a great job against a team who could cause a threat or two at times.

Will be interesting to see how Cavani and Rashford also add to the options in the weeks ahead.

Midfield needs work, but damn that front half just looks scary

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Good game and win, Returnees Ronaldo and Lingard on the scoresheet, and Bruno, the heart of this team, scoring a stunner. Most importantly we're top of the league table. What's not to love?

We've got quality starters and very good depth. This team looks to really be going places.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I actually think the performances will get better with two competitive games per week. I still don’t think the match sharpness is above 75% for quite a few of them

90 + 5min

Not the best game but we can't complain after 4-1. Solskjaer will have lot of good headace chosing a team.

What we need to do is get better balance in the team. With all that firepower, we need to be carefull at the back. So if we can get balance we will be very, very hard to play against.

Reddevildans

I was surprised how good Newcastle looked in some parts of the game. With match winners everywhere I was confident we'll have enough. Obviously the big worry is midfield. To win the league we will need Mcfred to have the best seasons in their career because the link between defence and attack cannot be relied on. Once again the subs were questionable. Should have taken off matic after 60mins and put fred on but can't complain much after a 4-1 victory.

Sancho will need time to bed in. I just wish he's given a full 90mins because he needs a goal to boost his confidence. The best time would have been after we scored the third.

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 84% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 431 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw