PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 October 2022

MDFC Manager

One thing I noticed late in the second half. United players looked really fit and were able to keep the ball in the Newcastle half for long periods of pressure. We've not seen this from United for many years. Under Ole, when we had a lot of possession it was padded by being mainly in our own half.

Newcastle made 5 subs in the end and looked like they were tired and hanging on. Another ten minutes and I think we win the game.
Good call, and this improved fitness will be put to sterner tests with the glut of games coming up

nakpodiareuben

We dominated newcastle with Casemiro, fred and Fernades. i remember how they will come and dominate us with those Longstaff brothers. We are improving guys...At lease i have not heard anyone saying we should go and sigh a longstaff for 50m

justsomebloke

I believe a lot of the OTT responses in post match threads are emotional (I've been guilty of them too). Most of the same fans will watch the game again next week and want the team to win.

Fans hope that results turn around quickly so we have something to fight for at the end of the season.

We are all tired of fighting for top 4 and falling short!
Yet that is exactly where we realistically are at this point. Getting top 4 would be a big achievement this season, considering the strength of the opposition (at least if you presuppose Chelsea and Liverpool getting their act together). Seems a bit pointless to me to be angry about that (although there is every reason to be angry about the fact that the management of the club over the past few years have left us in that position). I guess that's more or less your point too.

desirere

Boys how about we just gather our thoughts a little bit and realize that this is the start of a very difficult transition from being a lost cause of a footballing institution to hopefully back to being the front runners in that department.

Reading the caf in general over the years we have managed to contradict ourselves on every single opinion. When we’re winning we aim anger at philosophy, strategy and style. When we go for a transition to a modern attacking progressive style, we want the managers head if we’re not winning as well. This just doesn’t make sense, none of the clubs that are currently best in the world were always playing this type of football, most were shitehouse clubs to be fair. Then came a catalyst that, in time, made them to what they are (Sir Alex,Wenger, Pep, Klopp, Poch…) there are many other examples some needed more some less funds but all needed time.

We are currently in the best phase of the process, you can lay back munch on some salt&buttered popcorn and enjoy the road, it’s gonna be extra bumpy. We can expect anything from winning 10 in a row to loosing 10:0 at home to Spurs. The main point being, Ten Hag knows the the f he’s doing, this season is here just to look at the positives and maybe somehow qualify for the CL, if possible if not que sera sera.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We didn't deserve to win the match but this stat doesn't surprise me watching the game:
It's ridiculous that the referee can just make up time added on as he pleases.

lex talionis

I really don’t know what to think about where we’re going after this match. We defended well, moved the ball in the middle third well, and we create enough chances so that we should have scored on at lest two glorious chances at the end, Fred and then Rashford.

I have no idea what the “xG” for each of those two chances were, but all I can say is that we should have scored on both. Our woefulness on goal is frustrating and a cause for concern. All we can do is live with our frustration and hope for a better return on goal the rest of the season but unless our finishing improves we’re looking at another season without CL football.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Gotta say, Eddie Howe learnt from his mistakes at Bournemouth. He has evolved as a manager.

Parma Dewol

It really did feel like that at the game. Second half could barely be described as football. Ball in play less than an hour yet players cramping up all over the field.

MDFC Manager

We didn't deserve to win the match but this stat doesn't surprise me watching the game:
Yeah Newcastle wasted loads of time, the feckers. Ref couldn't manage it at all

bosskeano

We still have to find a way to get win,especially with that electric start from Arsenal and Spurs going about business quietly
we play better football than spurs...they just have two guys in kane and son who are just lethal in taking their chances

arsenal are the enigma b/c they don't play great football but are grinding out results which is very un-arsenal like

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No surprise that MoTD relegated us to just a few minutes towards the end bu hilarious hearing Keown saying Newcastle should have had a penalty (probably right) but no mention of the hacking down of Sancho or Ronaldo's nipping in after the Newcastle free kick - and no use of VAR lines so we could see certain decisions. Little wonder I prefer Sky's fuller coverage...

We weren't great and even though newcastle's defensive record is good, I think we did enough to deserve the win in the second half and Rashford's miss was very poor (he possibly should have gone for goal earlier too instead of passing to Fred).

Our defence looked pretty good but it's time to drop Bruno, I'm afraid. Another anonymous performance

davidfpn

Boys how about we just gather our thoughts a little bit and realize that this is the start of a very difficult transition from being a lost cause of a footballing institution to hopefully back to being the front runners in that department.

Reading the caf in general over the years we have managed to contradict ourselves on every single opinion. When we’re winning we aim anger at philosophy, strategy and style. When we go for a transition to a modern attacking progressive style, we want the managers head if we’re not winning as well. This just doesn’t make sense, none of the clubs that are currently best in the world were always playing this type of football, most were shitehouse clubs to be fair. Then came a catalyst that, in time, made them to what they are (Sir Alex,Wenger, Pep, Klopp, Poch…) there are many other examples some needed more some less funds but all needed time.

We are currently in the best phase of the process, you can lay back munch on some salt&buttered popcorn and enjoy the road, it’s gonna be extra bumpy. We can expect anything from winning 10 in a row to loosing 10:0 at home to Spurs. The main point being, Ten Hag knows the the f he’s doing, this season is here just to look at the positives and maybe somehow qualify for the CL, if possible if not que sera sera.
Very well written, my thoughts exactly.

lex talionis

I've read conflicting reports on whether the referee actually blew the whistle on the controversial Ronaldo disallowed goal. If he blew the whistle before the defender passed the ball back to the keeper, it's a live ball without any debate, regardless of the position of the referee's arm.

So, did the referee blow the whistle to authorize the restart of play? It's pretty clear to me he did.

Bosws87

VAR is horrific has been since implemented decisions have got worse and less reliable since this farce was introduced.

The City goal being disallowed was pathetic also yesterday.

I was at the game so haven't had the opportunity to look at anything close or replays but i saw the most obvious blatant penalty i have seen for Newcastle think it was Varane who took the guy out but it was that obvious it was laughable, whole thing is broken.

Maticmaker

Looked like a game between two sides just on the verges of the top six... Oh, wait that's what they are!!

Newcastle have improved no end since Eddie Howe took over, his defence work as a unit and kept us at bay until the dying embers.
Without Eriksen we struggle to break the lines and rely on trying to work the ball out wide, but even when we do, we rarely hit the goal line for pull backs into the box. As predictable has ever.
You can see some differences ETH has made but it's very slow progress, where there is poor finishing, the result is almost always 0-0... and so it came to pass, that those who cannot hit a barndoor sat on the latch, will finish up goalless!!

RedDevil@84

VAR is horrific has been since implemented decisions have got worse and less reliable since this farce was introduced.
The VAR refs are just buddies with the on-field refs. So they basically sign off on what the on field ref gives.

Oranges038

I've read conflicting reports on whether the referee actually blew the whistle on the controversial Ronaldo disallowed goal. If he blew the whistle before the defender passed the ball back to the keeper, it's a live ball without any debate, regardless of the position of the referee's arm.

So, did the referee blow the whistle to authorize the restart of play? It's pretty clear to me he did.

Seen this earlier. When he blows his whistle the ball is dead, Schar plays the ball and it's live.

It's a goal.

Maticmaker

The VAR refs are just buddies with the on-field refs. So they basically sign off on what the on field ref gives.
Apart from the goal technology or the offside lines, where the results are 'absolutes', then every other decision, is as it always has been, up to the ref's discretion .... therefore, there will always be disagreement, even with VAR, therefore, refs will continue to be, for many supporters... 'black, scouse, or 'short-sighted', bas***ds'.

lex talionis

Seen this earlier. When he blows his whistle the ball is dead, Schar plays the ball and it's live.

It's a goal.
It is indeed a goal. Other appalling referee decisions should not be overlooked, but this is a whopper that at the very least should be entered into official file of Craig Pawson.

But it will be ignored by the PGMOL and Pawson will sleep well at night, knowing there are no consequences for his incompetence.

RedDevil@84

It is indeed a goal. Other appalling referee decisions should not be overlooked, but this is a whopper that at the very least should be entered into official file of Craig Pawson.

But it will be ignored by the PGMOL and Pawson will sleep well at night, knowing there are no consequences for his incompetence.
I doubt even if it is entered in official file. it makes much of a difference. Do referees move out of the select groups in PGMOL for under performance, mid season?

Coops73

The ref having that view and not giving a penalty?

Paswon shouldn’t be allowed to ref in the prem for a period of time, absolute shit, the refereeing in the premier league, supposedly the best in the world, is dogshit.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Apart from the goal technology or the offside lines, where the results are 'absolutes', then every other decision, is as it always has been, up to the ref's discretion .... therefore, there will always be disagreement, even with VAR, therefore, refs will continue to be, for many supporters... 'black, scouse, or 'short-sighted', bas***ds'.
:nervous: you probably ought to reconsider this post.

nakpodiareuben

We need
I really don’t know what to think about where we’re going after this match. We defended well, moved the ball in the middle third well, and we create enough chances so that we should have scored on at lest two glorious chances at the end, Fred and then Rashford.

I have no idea what the “xG” for each of those two chances were, but all I can say is that we should have scored on both. Our woefulness on goal is frustrating and a cause for concern. All we can do is live with our frustration and hope for a better return on goal the rest of the season but unless our finishing improves we’re looking at another season without CL football.
[/QUOTE

We need to sign a striker.

Oranges038

It's Pawson, he's just a terrible referee. He has a long list of stupid and outlandish decsions behind him going back years, even if you just pick Utd games and forget the wink at Arteta after his use of VAR in the Utd Arsenal game this year. He was even labelled a lazy referee who was too reliant on VAR by Keith Hackett after he was given the FA Cup. Now it looks like he won't even use VAR even when he should.

RedDevil@84

It's Pawson, he's just a terrible referee. He has a long list of stupid and outlandish decsions behind him going back years, even if you just pick Utd games. He was even labelled a lazy referee who was too reliant on VAR by Keith Hackett after he was given the FA Cup. Now it looks like he won't even use VAR even when he should.
Until the conversations between the VAR room and on-field ref are made public, we don't know if the VAR ref is looking into this or has gone to take a dump.

Oranges038

Until the conversations between the VAR room and on-field ref are made public, we don't know if the VAR ref is looking into this or has gone to take a dump.
Aye, it should be done, but Idon't think that will ever happen.

The whole system is a joke, it was supposed to make the game better. But now you look at a game and are wondering why 2 referees even with all the camera angles are still making stupid decsions.

In Pawson's case. It's mental that a referee could be even worse with VAR and still be a PL referee.

croadyman

we play better football than spurs...they just have two guys in kane and son who are just lethal in taking their chances

arsenal are the enigma b/c they don't play great football but are grinding out results which is very un-arsenal like
Will grant you we play better stuff than Spurs,however Arsenal play some of the best football in the league for me.

MegadrivePerson

The Referee blows the whistle as the defender is tapping the ball. It's very clear that nobody bar Ronaldo thinks the ball is in play at this point. It's clutching at straws trying to say that this decision has cost us a goal. If this was the other way round you'd be livid if it was given against you!

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 226 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 17% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle