PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 October 2022

MegadrivePerson

The most frustrating thing about the game was the two late missed chances by Rashford and Fred.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The Referee blows the whistle as the defender is tapping the ball. It's very clear that nobody bar Ronaldo thinks the ball is in play at this point. It's clutching at straws trying to say that this decision has cost us a goal. If this was the other way round you'd be livid if it was given against you!
Doesn't matter if they think that, what matters is who is right.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Doesn't matter if they think that, what matters is who is right.
When a player takes that kind of liberty with a dead ball, not in someone's hands, didn't the Ref's use to term it as 'ungentlemanly conduct'... in the days before VAR, obviously?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
When a player takes that kind of liberty with a dead ball, not in someone's hands, didn't the Ref's use to term it as 'ungentlemanly conduct'... in the days before VAR, obviously?
I remember the term but don't remember if it was ever used for something like that. I thought it was usually things like spitting, swearing, rude gestures, that sort of thing.

lex talionis

The Referee blows the whistle as the defender is tapping the ball. It's very clear that nobody bar Ronaldo thinks the ball is in play at this point. It's clutching at straws trying to say that this decision has cost us a goal. If this was the other way round you'd be livid if it was given against you!
I would put it this way. If the goal were given against us, I’d be livid…at the incompetence of our players not understanding the Laws of the game.

When the referee blows the whistle to restart play, and the ball is kicked, the ball is live.

Think of this way: you have a free kick outside the opposition box and the referee has blown the whistle to authorize the restart of play. The ball is kicked and rolls one foot. It’s a live ball that players from both sides are perfectly free to attack. If an opposing player gets there first, oh well. If you get there first and smash it into the goal, the goal of course stands.

What happened here is that Pawson let his mental guard down. He blew the whistle. The ball was kicked. The ball was live. The goal should have stood. That said, Pawson found himself in what he believed was an untenable position and disallowed the goal. But by the book, the goal should have stood.

Maticmaker

I remember the term but don't remember if it was ever used for something like that. I thought it was usually things like spitting, swearing, rude gestures, that sort of thing.
Yes, as far as I can remember, it was a distinction that refs made between 'kicking or attempting to kick the ball out of the keeper's hands' (dangerous play) and making him look foolish by nicking the ball away from him, if he wasn't concentrating, or as he was judged to have released the ball = ungentlemanly conduct!

Swearing and rude gestures were parr for the course (old school) but as for spitting in the days I am referring to it would have caused a riot!
Spitting seemed to be brought in from elsewhere???

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 226 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 17% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle