PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 October 2022

siw2007

We need to win our home matches so to come away with a draw this afternoon is a disappointing result. The performance was alright, not many poor performers out there but there just wasn’t enough quality to show for it. Two bad misses at the end make it a sore one, Marcus played well when he came on but he’s going to get some stick for that header there.

Gordon S

We`re seeing shades of LvG here.
Receive the ball, watch a teammate run into space, ignore that teammate, pass it calmly 10meters to the teammate closest to you and standing still. That player does the same as well. Then hopefully we can walk the ball past the keeper.

We have played some decent football lately however so i`m not to pissed. Frustrating but still somewhat entertaining.

Dominos

You can't go on from the last season to win convincingly every game this season over night. We're a work in progress.
We've not won 1 game convincingly is my point. And Southampton, Leicester and Everton are amongst the worst teams in the league. You need to be performing at a higher level to put winning runs together, you can't expect to pick up the points tally needed by playing poorly.

Our goal was top 4 and we're severely lagging behind already. With the amount spent in the summer it's a real disappointment if we're not even competitive for 4th.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We're poor against set defences. We improved in the second half and again showed we can be solid at the back but not enough from us all day in terms of clear chances and quality finishing. Two points dropped in very frustrating fashion.

pascell

Antony had the beating of his man all game, even had him on a yellow, so we try going down the left instead, absolutely brainless.

We have so many average players it's no surprise we get performances like today.

OneUnited24

We're poor against set defences. We improved in the second half and again showed we can be solid at the back but not enough from us all day in terms of clear chances and quality finishing. Two points dropped in very frustrating fashion.
Didn’t help that we lost Erikson

davidmichael

I’ve said it so many times that it now frustrates me even thinking it but Ronaldo and Fernandes can NOT play in the same team, Ronaldo needs creativity around him to put things on a plate whilst Fernandes needs pace around him to play his natural Hollywood style so they both cancel each other out and bring out the worst in each other too.

I don’t understand why we don’t put Zidane Iqbal in when Eriksen isn’t playing as we seriously lack creativity from midfield with any combination of Casemiro, Fred or McTominay. Today was the worst of Fred as he can’t control the ball, can’t handle being pressed and can’t pass so at home is basically pointless so should ever play alongside Casemiro or McTominay EVER again.

If we’d won today I’d fancy us against Spurs on Wednesday but if Eriksen and Martial are both back for that game we should have enough to put them away but if Martial is injured I’d play Rashford up top with Antony and Sancho either side of him as we’ll need lots of pace, with Chelsea winning today it’s a must win game on Wednesday especially with Chelsea having Brentford away that night too.

Ibrahimorich

So many negative nellies here. Thought we were comfortably the better team. Finishing was poor admittedly and Antony seemed to want to pass or cross to Ronaldo exclusively but other than that we looked alright.
If the ref or VAR had seen fit to give us any of those 3 or 4 penalty shouts then it would've been a routine win.

sdb4884

Receive the ball, watch a teammate run into space, ignore that teammate, pass it calmly 10meters to the teammate closest to you and standing still. That player does the same as well. Then hopefully we can walk the ball past the keeper.

We have played some decent football lately however so i`m not to pissed. Frustrating but still somewhat entertaining.
I was thinking the same thing, we just couldn't break down any defences especially at home during his reign.

sparx99

We've not won 1 game convincingly is my point. And Southampton, Leicester and Everton are amongst the worst teams in the league. You need to be performing at a higher level to put winning runs together, you can't expect to pick up the points tally needed by playing poorly.

Our goal was top 4 and we're severely lagging behind already. With the amount spent in the summer it's a real disappointment if we're not even competitive for 4th.
We are 3 pts off top 4? Considering our start to the seasons we’ve done well to be that close.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
There's a lot of despair in this and the matchday thread, but I don't really understand it. We've seen plenty of horrible performances in the past few years, but today's wasn't one of them.
The way I see it, there were positive signs in the way we played - particularly in possession from the back (albeit with the one dropped bollock from Fred).

We're very much a work in progress, and I think I've seen enough to say we are progressing. The problem is that progress doesn't happen overnight and we're stuck with the squad we have. When our CF options are this version of Ronaldo, an injury prone Martial and Rashford, who has never been a good enough striker to play CF then it's not surprising when we look impotent in front of goal.

Real Name

How are we not competitive, we're fifth.

Red_Aaron

Poor first half, better second

Still not moving the ball quick enough allowing defences to set themselves. Lack of a centre forward hurting us not just for the goals but also runs that create space for others.

Frustrated we didn't nick with 2 great chances at the end

Overall probably a good indicator of where we're at

Giggsy13

No we are certainly not.

Woodzy

Someone said before but we lose that game last season. We need players and time to step up another level, in particular a striker, but for now that was okay.

Real Name

Varane was just back from injury and not risked.

Shaw had only just gotten back into the team and is being rotated with Malacia. He wasn't rested.

Sancho was not rested either, he was dropped for being shit.

Eriksen was the only player truly being rested in that game.
Well neither of them played on Thursday so they got a rest.

Cathy Ferguson

This game is the exact reason I wasn't happy with the performances against Southampton, Leicester, Everton while so many on here were pretending we played well. You need to be winning games convincingly to be reliably putting winning runs together. If you're constantly scraping close results then you're going to inevitably drop points in games like this.

So many brainless players, poor passes and poor decisions.
Our attacking play is not good enough in general still this was a decent game and we wasted two great opportunities at the end. Fred is not good enough and Bruno is not as dominant as he used to be. Sancho and Antony lack serious pace to be top players. We are making progress but hard to believe we will finish top 4 or win the EL.

The One and Only

I actually think we played quite well. Dominated possession and defensively solid apart from corners and freekicks. With slightly better finishing we could have scored 2 or 3 very easily.
Yeah me too. I'm surprised by all the negative comments. The ref screwed us again.

There are clear signs of progression. We desperately need a striker though

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

I'm not.

GMoore23

Well neither of them played on Thursday so they got a rest.
Dalot
Martinez
Eriksen
Bruno
Rashford
Antony

The above were the players in most need of a rest and only Eriksen got one.

Hell, even De Gea should have been given the night off.

Real Name

Dalot
Martinez
Eriksen
Bruno
Rashford
Antony

The above were the players in most need of a rest and only Eriksen got one.

Hell, even De Gea should have been given the night off.
So a whole first eleven should have been rested?

Hammondo

We look like a 2011 Barcelona tribute act. So many chances to shoot not taken as we try and walk the ball in. Dalot in stoppage time. What was he thinking?
We played nothing like them, not even a little.

Telsim

We didn't lose at least, so that's good. That's about it. This lot can’t create and can’t score to save their lives. Sterile, sloppy, and low quality are what describe our football right now. And this has been the case in every single game this season where the initiative lies with us.

Yakuza_devils

1) Rashford should have scored. It's harder to miss from 6 yard free header.

2) Fred's miss was even worse. It was empty net from 8 yard. FFS. How was it possible to miss?

3) Ronaldo and Sancho both should have a penalty can't believe the referee and VAR missed it.

On another day it could be a comfortable 4-0 win.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
From where we came from last season, we are a better side. Still very much work in progress but better.
But we still struggle to break down tightly packed defences. That is why teams do it. Because it is difficult. Newcastle are no mugs. But we do need more quality, especially in attack.

Adrian7

Fred and Bruno occupied moaning half of the time. Casemiro Mctommy and Eriksen should do the job in the midfiled

M Bison

Supports
York City
We’re a striker away from being a good side. We have very little in the final 3rd and unless it’s passed to Ronaldo’s feet, he gives us next to nothing and makes it so easy to defend against.

suheilsworld

The frustrating thing was that newcastle team wasn’t that good on paper and even weren’t wow in their play. Agreed that they worked hard as a unit and hustled together. We should’ve well beaten this team. Our attackers need extra hours on shooting. Ref was bent and definitely needs looking into. Shocking ref and I don’t understand how that Sancho tackle wasn’t referred to the ref to go to the monitor

Fts 74

I didn't think we were too bad first half was even 2nd half we played well without really threatening. Having said that, Fred and Rashford should really have scored we still need upgrades on him and McT plus an out and out striker.

We're getting there slowly patience is required.

1) Rashford should have scored. It's harder to miss from 6 yard free header.

2) Fred's miss was even worse. It was empty net from 8 yard. FFS. How was it possible to miss?

3) Ronaldo and Sancho both should have a penalty can't believe the referee and VAR missed it.

On another day it could be a comfortable 4-0 win.
But it wasn't a 4-0 win, it was another poor result. Given how tough top four is now, we can't afford to be dropping these points, and it will happen again. It's so annoying.

davidfpn

Honestly you lots are something else. Absymal performance? Posts like these are pathetic and only serve to incite more bullshit. Why can't some of you lots simply behave instead of regurgitating nonsensical crap so you can have a moan.
Well said.

manichester

We deserved a win, dominated the second half and fell foul of a refereeing decision again, where was var and what is the point if it does not ask the referee to take another look.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

This is what happens when Eriksen is not in there pulling the strings. Weird saying, but we also needed Scott to add stability in the midfield and to burst forward. Fred is an accident waiting to happen.

Lyng

We desperately need to become more clinical.
And then it's frustrating how absurdly bad referees in the Premier League are.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 226 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 17% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle