LC L League Cup Round of 16

Manchester United 0:3 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 November 2023

patch1

If the manager cannot get the players to play for him, then either he goes or the players go.
Maybe it is time to start from scratch.Starting from the owners downwards.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
first game ive missed in many years as I was at a concert. Any positives at all?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Tough night. Sad day. Reports that Bobby Charlton fell against a radiator and broke ribs. Two three nils. It’s hard to know how much we learn from this night. I’m not that pushed about this cup, but we coughed up goals so easily. Very fragile. Three players that need to step up, and seem to be struggling; Hannibal Mejbri, Amrabat and Mount. It seems a long time ago that Maguire was blamed for everything. Newcastle pressed fiercely, we played a lot of nice football. It’s going to be a long process. My hope is that Ratcliffe comes in, puts his weight behind Ten Hag, and things develop naturally.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Feck me, did anybody saw that Newcastle utd lineup? That was a fking second string reserve team that just came to Old trafford and spunked us 3-0. I'm sorry, i am a huge ETH fan but being outplayed in our own turf by a second string Newcastle side is by itself a sackable offence.
It's true, but you have to acknowledge our line up was pretty much the same thing.
None of the first choice back 4, half fit Casemiro, no Bruno, Hojlund, Rashford etc. We can argue who out of McTom/Eriksen is the starter 3rd mid at the moment, but what is certain is it's not Mount or Hannibal.

lex talionis

You’re right though. However, it seems to be the case with any half decent team we play: they score great goals easily, the ball always bounces their way, the officials tend to believe their extravagantly acrobatic dives. I wonder if after dominating English football for so long, other clubs know that we’re now ripe for revenge and just love whipping our arses.
At the moment though I am so sick of it I’m never sure whether it’s my own darkened lens I’m looking through and seeing things that aren’t really there. Don’t think so, mind.
We do suffer from game raisers putting in the performance of their lives, this time Newcastle’s B Team. But we invite game raising performances time after time.

When you look at the matches we’ve actually won so far this season, almost all of them could have been defeats. We’re in a bad place right now and the problems are everywhere, but for me it’s as clear as can be that the most serious problem is the rot in the executive suite, the owners of this storied club.

Lost bear

We do suffer from game raisers putting in the performance of their lives, this time Newcastle’s B Team. But we invite game raising performances time after time.

When you look at the matches we’ve actually won so far this season, almost all of them could have been defeats. We’re in a bad place right now and the problems are everywhere, but for me it’s as clear as can be that the most serious problem is the rot in the executive suite, the owners of this storied club.
Fully agree.

TrailMonkey

It's true, but you have to acknowledge our line up was pretty much the same thing.
Not sure who really is a first 11 for us anymore. Our best performers (from the last 1-3 years) have gone backwards so far, and there's no one stepping up from the backups. Too early to judge the likes of Hojlund and Mount etc.

swissgenius

first game ive missed in many years as I was at a concert. Any positives at all?
Arrived at home when it was already 0-2, usually I would turn on the game as fast as possible. Couldn't bother yesterday, I was so sure they won't come back and I wasn't even mad about it.
Strange feeling.

Wing Attack Plan R

"We started well" could be our epitaph. But seriously, we looked good up until that first goal, which was against the run of play and a bit of a fluke that came from a Dalot error. The second goal -- Maguire heading the ball back into danger and the guy volleying the feck out of it -- was also against the run of play. From there we collapsed.

There is no unity between the forwards and the mids. The players on the wings are not swapping roles, they're not playing with the idea of feeding a teammate, just a lot selfishness. Rashford and Antony were pants. Bruno can get wrecked. Martial? No. It doesn't matter that we have willing runners if there's no cohesion of thought, Mount had an excellent strike on goal -- and then we never tried to feed him after that. He was anonymous because they never gave him the ball, but rewatch it and look at how much off the ball running he's doing, while everyone else is rooted to their spot like they're on a foosball table.

Interesting too that all 3 goals fell in the exact same spot of the goal: bottom corner to the keeper's left. Is that Onana's achilles heel?

Maticmaker

Not many positives from last night.

One was AWB's come back another was ETH managed to get Casemiro off before he got a second yellow and a final one we are out of a competition that was 'one too many' this season, which we did win last year, but needed like a 'hole in the head' this season, with injuries and form being what they are.

Other things we have learned or confirmed recently;

*If ETH insists on effectively playing a two-man midfield it has to be Casemiro and Amrabat, at least for the moment until the first team defenders are back;
*Maguire has shown improvement when he has some capable cover in the midfield.
*Dalot can be creative going forward, but there are too many mistakes in his defensive play;
*Garnacho is still along way off a 90 minute player, can be 'dynamite' when used as a last quarter sub;
*Mount has shown some nice touches, but he's not really 'in touch' properly as yet;
*Bruno looked far more effective when he came on for the last quarter, but still not captain material.
*Cannot keep playing a 'non-right' footer on the left wing and a stronger right footed player on the left, where the only real danger both present is when they cut in on the angle... but other teams are wise to this now, so its too easy to nullify.
*Lindelof may be a half decent CB, but no way is he a fullback.

Wing Attack Plan R

Did we create a single opportunity of note?
Bruno maybe late on but he missed the target
At home in a knockout tie and I don't remember us even having a decent chance in the entire game

Whatever he's trying to do he needs to scrap it now, the players either can't or won't do it and he'll pay with his job very quickly
Dalot had a shot that trickled just wide left, and Mount had a volley caught. That's two. We should really be doing better, it's almost Van Gaal-esque having 2 shots at goal and only 1 on target.

Manncunian

Unpleasant, nasty post .. and wrong as well.
Good god. I see worse in here daily, get a grip. No profanities. In fact, it was the most pleasant way to phrase somebody talking utter rubbish.

I suggest you leave social media if something so soft has triggered you :lol:

FortunaUtd

Every single fan voting to keep this useless excuse of a manager deserve this and every subsequent loss we endure under his god forsaken abysmal tenure.
Oh shut up will you
Imagine my shock when I saw how you voted.
Feck off.
It is just such a horrible attitude to have.
First of all, you have no clue what is the timing nor reasoning behind any of the "keep" votes in the thread you refer to. To speak for myself, I am probably as frustrated with and disappointed in Ten Hag as you are, still the simple question sack/keep does not represent my take on the current situation, in such a way I would change my keep vote from a couple of months ago.
Give me the option "reassess at the end of the year and start to look for a new manager to replace him", I am voting that right now. Because clearly it is a very bad situation for a sacking when the very people who are tasked with hiring the manager and setting footballing directive are themselves both in need of replacing and likely about to replaced due to the imminent ownership changes.
It does make a lot of sense to make these changes first and leave the keep/sack/replace situation to the new people who will have the actual authority and competency to enact it and see it through, rather than lame duck, perspective-less, hopeless Murtough and Arnold. If anything, that makes my analysis even more dire, as even the most common and useful tool for a top club in a bad situation -and yes, that is to sack the manager, no disagreements there-, is not properly at our disposal right now.

And then you come along with this toxic turd of a post, pinning your hurt onto other fans of the club because of a fecking online poll. What happened to 'win together, lose together'? You think we are not hurting? You think we are happy with Ten Hag as it is?
After a bad loss like Wednesday, emotions are flaring up, and posts become heated, I get it. But the default channel for your negative emotions cannot be to be divisive and insulting towards fellow fans. We do not need this crap, we have enough problems as it is.

Manncunian

It is just such a horrible attitude to have.
First of all, you have no clue what is the timing nor reasoning behind any of the "keep" votes in the thread you refer to. To speak for myself, I am probably as frustrated with and disappointed in Ten Hag as you are, still the simple question sack/keep does not represent my take on the current situation, in such a way I would change my keep vote from a couple of months ago.
Give me the option "reassess at the end of the year and start to look for a new manager to replace him", I am voting that right now. Because clearly it is a very bad situation for a sacking when the very people who are tasked with hiring the manager and setting footballing directive are themselves both in need of replacing and likely about to replaced due to the imminent ownership changes.
It does make a lot of sense to make these changes first and leave the keep/sack/replace situation to the new people who will have the actual authority and competency to enact it and see it through, rather than lame duck, perspective-less, hopeless Murtough and Arnold. If anything, that makes my analysis even more dire, as even the most common and useful tool for a top club in a bad situation -and yes, that is to sack the manager, no disagreements there-, is not properly at our disposal right now.

And then you come along with this toxic turd of a post, pinning your hurt onto other fans of the club because of a fecking online poll. What happened to 'win together, lose together'? You think we are not hurting? You think we are happy with Ten Hag as it is?
After a bad loss like Wednesday, emotions are flaring up, and posts become heated, I get it. But the default channel for your negative emotions cannot be to be divisive and insulting towards fellow fans. We do not need this crap, we have enough problems as it is.
Replying to a post 4 days later and after the defeat for what reason? The high and mighty, morally superior attitude is easy now once emotions have died down eh.

Can your violin get any smaller? We are talking about football here, not life and death.

I love how you’re upset about me telling you to feck off when your initial post was an attack telling me to “shut up”. Can’t really get precious about a mild retaliation can you. Pot kettle and all that.

But I’m sure you’re sat there feeling smug with yourself bringing all this up after we’ve played another game since, when this thread is basically now irrelevant.

FortunaUtd

Replying to a post 4 days later and after the defeat for what reason? The high and mighty, morally superior attitude is easy now once emotions have died down eh.

Can your violin get any smaller? We are talking about football here, not life and death.

I love how you’re upset about me telling you to feck off when your initial post was an attack telling me to “shut up”. Can’t really get precious about a mild retaliation can you. Pot kettle and all that.

But I’m sure you’re sat there feeling smug with yourself bringing all this up after we’ve played another game since, when this thread is basically now irrelevant.
Honestly I did not answer on the night as I had run out of posts.. just as well since I have since calmed down. Same does not seem to have happened for you though :lol:.
Horrible attitude all over again.

Manncunian

Honestly I did not answer on the night as I had run out of posts.. just as well since I have since calmed down. Same does not seem to have happened for you though :lol:.
Horrible attitude all over again.
Awww is it? How ever will I sleep.

You should become a moderator considering you’re here to police everyone’s opinion, although denouncing those who strongly disagree with you isn’t the best trait for it.

Player Ratings

3.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 210 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 14% Man Utd 0:2 Newcastle