LC L League Cup Round of 16

Manchester United 0:3 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 November 2023

Captmfla

Possession don't mean that much. In this match, it means united is chasing for an equalizer while Newcastle is aiming to counter attack after leading.

Lost bear

We were crap, but Newcastle's finishing was the kind of stuff you only see on YouTube videos. Whoever scored those goals will never score goals like that ever again in their careers.

But let's not take our eye off the ball...we were crap. Decaying fecal matter too rotten for even the lowliest housefly to bother with.
You’re right though. However, it seems to be the case with any half decent team we play: they score great goals easily, the ball always bounces their way, the officials tend to believe their extravagantly acrobatic dives. I wonder if after dominating English football for so long, other clubs know that we’re now ripe for revenge and just love whipping our arses.
At the moment though I am so sick of it I’m never sure whether it’s my own darkened lens I’m looking through and seeing things that aren’t really there. Don’t think so, mind.

ti vu

I don't understand this "sacking won't fix it" take. So what, we carry on with this and just freefall? At what point do we accept its over and make the change? We are not going to get rid of the owners overnight, so we just stick with Ten Hag no matter how badly he is performing? No. I would much rather these owners and a semi competent manager that can at least get the players on side, than this. Its completely unsustainable. Keeping Ten Hag with these owners is like being in a house fire and using a flamethrower to put the fire out. Even if all we can get in his place is a water pistol, its better than this. Big Sam.
Sacking is necessary, but sacking alone doesn't help if you don't have plan for succession within this season. See Chelsea and Tottenham last season. We may just write this season off, and start look for the next manager. Not necessary sack ETH when there is no suitable replacement.

I doubt we can get a decent interim manager after RR experience. Hiring United way ex players don't help it for long term planning if they just go back to do what SAF used to do.

Lost bear

Sacking is necessary, but sacking alone doesn't help if you don't have plan for succession within this season. See Chelsea and Tottenham last season. We may just write this season off, and start look for the next manager. Not necessary sack ETH when there is no suitable replacement.

I doubt we can get a decent interim manager after RR experience. Hiring United way ex players don't help it for long term planning if they just go back to do what SAF used to do.
Apart from winning.

ti vu

Only this club returns to glory is to get rid of most of these players.
Culture reset you say? That goes as far as ownership. Restricting the club yet still appoint incompetent people in important directors role doesn't change a thing. When Football Director still act like the manager's servant when it comes to transfer target, then it's same shite different name. New manager would come and spend all the available budget to sign his own players. And when the team failed, the new players become deadwood. This vicious cycle need to be stopped by holding the Directors accounted for their incompetence. But that's tall order for these clueless owners.

FrantikChicken

This might be one of the most embarrassing results we’ve had in the last 10 years.

From my Newcastle supporting mate before the game (he thought they were throwing the game away):

“Our back 4 and goal keeper combined have played like 10 games in a year”

“Livramento and Krafth have 2 games in 2 years between them”

The fact that we lost 3-0 against this, at home, is frankly so pathetic I can’t even put word

always_hoping

We were crap, but Newcastle's finishing was the kind of stuff you only see on YouTube videos. Whoever scored those goals will never score goals like that ever again in their careers.

But let's not take our eye off the ball...we were crap. Decaying fecal matter too rotten for even the lowliest housefly to bother with.
I'd look more at the build up to all three goals, all of them came from Man United cheaply losing possession and truly awful defending.

Kopral Jono

This club needs an Exorcist, never mind a new manager. Still, even the Cubs broke the curse after a 100 years.
Cursed after so many years of dominant success.
I said a few times before, and I'm not joking, that bringing in a feng shui master to both Carrington and Old Trafford for a thorough cleansing wouldn't be the worst of ideas.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Can’t be pissed off with that result. It the League Cup and it might allow ETH enough time to start drilling this team properly.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't understand this "sacking won't fix it" take. So what, we carry on with this and just freefall? At what point do we accept its over and make the change? We are not going to get rid of the owners overnight, so we just stick with Ten Hag no matter how badly he is performing? No. I would much rather these owners and a semi competent manager that can at least get the players on side, than this. Its completely unsustainable. Keeping Ten Hag with these owners is like being in a house fire and using a flamethrower to put the fire out. Even if all we can get in his place is a water pistol, its better than this. Big Sam.
The idea is that Ratcliffe will likely take over that side soon. The hope at least. You hope he will put his people, lots of talk of Paul Mitchell who has been around and has a good reputation to be a football director. Whatever it is, there will be new people calling the shots. We need those people to be the ones to decide what to do. And there's no use in making big decisions before they actually come in. If they want to keep ten hag, then they keep him. If they want him gone, they replace.

Nebel

Newcastle celebrating like they just won a cup.

ETH should make the players stand out on the pitch and watch that. The shameless bunch of underperforming lazy gowls.
Hey, at least beating United still matters to other teams! So there's that...

Jacob

It has honestly come to the point where I expect all teams to beat us.

Nebel

I gave everyone a 1/10, mainly because they were still breathing at the end.
United still takes my breath away, albeit in a much different way. Felt so bad for my dad watching this last night. Luckily I was on the road and could not follow it.
This rot seems to be going from top to bottom now. I blame ETH for not being able to setup a proper strategy, to give them confidence. The blame the players for not giving a damn, for getting this much money and still seem to have zero responsibility for their actions on the pitch. We are in dire need of leadership. Top to bottom.

Andrew Richmond

Never quite understood the hate from many towards Fred.

He was a decent player, someone who always gave 100%. Something that can’t be said for a majority of the current playing group.

Far better player than the current so called midfielders ETH has at his disposal. Not suggesting results would be different if he was still here but at the very least he would have shown some pride in the jersey and his own performances.

Micky Targaryen

The only positive take-away from this game...

The grass at OT must be nice man.. Our rivals love doing sliding celebrations at OT.

Jordi Cruyff 99

Weird, I thought Bruno and Rashford were the problem??
Nobody said that they were the sole problem. If you can't see a problem with two 'senior' players in the squad, 'star players', being simply not up to standard, then I don't know what to tell you. It sets a horrible example. The entire club needs a rehaul, everyone can see that.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is bad but sacking ETH not gonna fix this. However given how stupid we're we'll sack him soon. Then appoint a caretaker who will go back to sit deep and counter. Results will improve and he'd get the permanent job. Sound familiar?

Better just hire Ole back he's still unemployed I think.
The problems will not be solved, or not long term by sacking the manager. This isn't Chelsea where they got it right time and time again under Roman. This is Glazer's United run by idiots. In an ideal situation we would just give half of these players away and start with a clean sheet, but financially we are in such a state that we cannot do that. I would keep very few of them.

ZainCRse7en

Feck me, did anybody saw that Newcastle utd lineup? That was a fking second string reserve team that just came to Old trafford and spunked us 3-0. I'm sorry, i am a huge ETH fan but being outplayed in our own turf by a second string Newcastle side is by itself a sackable offence.

G-manc

I only watched the second half. Lots of possession with little movement and no cutting edge.

In fact, apart from 1 late run from Bruno which he skied, I don’t remember us making one chance against a reserve back 5.

I don’t agree with everything Neville says but he’s right in that there’s a massive problem when you are leaking goals but aren’t a threat at the other end to compensate.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Nobody said that they were the sole problem. If you can't see a problem with two 'senior' players in the squad, 'star players', being simply not up to standard, then I don't know what to tell you. It sets a horrible example. The entire club needs a rehaul, everyone can see that.
That's the issue, they can't see that or at least they can buy would still look for scapegoats and blame players they don't really like.

We have threads on here called 'Bruno and Rashford are a problem' or words to that effect, which is simply not true.
Last night proved that.

captain666

The horrorshow continues ,no matter what permutation of 11 players ETH fields the result is the same, crap performances ,lack of effort and spirit.The changes need to start at board level by removing the 4 Glazer siblings and actually appoint people who know what they are doing .We are going to have to wait until SJR issues are resolved unfortunately by which time we will be in the bottom half of the Premiership and out of the Champions League.

uwotm8

Am I delusional to think that performances from Amrabat and Hannibal (aside from the early recklessness) were not that bad. They played simple passes relatively quickly and were able to recycle possession. There was absolutely no creativity in front of them and some awful mistakes at the back, especially from Dalot

UTD_Since_1978

November 1986 following a thrashing in the LC by Southampton double FA Cup winning manager Ron Atkinson was sacked & replaced by SAF who finally managed to turn us in to a football power house again.

November 2023 following a thrashing in the LC ETH carries on & no doubt the poor results & performances will continue.

Player Ratings

3.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 210 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 14% Man Utd 0:2 Newcastle