LC L League Cup Round of 16

Manchester United 0:3 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 November 2023

Loon

:lol:
This club needs an Exorcist, never mind a new manager. Still, even the Cubs broke the curse after a 100 years.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I was so busy today I totally forgot about this but I'll take that as a blessing. Sorry to all those who had to suffer through it. It's very sad when you're beyond feeling disappointed. It's just numbness now.

Hanky panky

I don´t know if 10Hag is a right manager. I know our squad isn´t anywhere as good as it should be. But im sure one of the main problems are players attitude. Fecking lazy primadonnas, after a huge paycheck. Ready to throw manager under a bus. It has been like this already 10 years. If we will sack 10Hag and hire a new manager, it will be same. At least as long as it is not someone like Zidane. They don´t respect manager, they don´t respect fans. They think they are bigger than club. This club needs full rebuild from bottom to top.

Yorke to Cole

Bring back Fred.
That is looking like a mistake, if you are considering the lack of tenacity in the middle.

If you are missing finishing, then Greenwood now has more goals and assists than any of our front line.

Also, bring Jassim's bid.

TheRedHearted

The only player that should still be here after the january window is Höjlund. The rest needs to be forced out or just plain bought out, we wont get anywhere with this rot inside the club.

ETH is not the right guy, but there is no one else to hire
You don’t rate Amrabat?

JediSith

Losing 3-0 against one of the top clubs is like 0-0. Also credit to us for not crumbling when they scored the third & and conceding another 3-4 goals. Credit to the lads for that as it showed great character considering past score lines where we’ve been battered.

:( He’s a good boy…. He’s a very good… he’s just different… cutting open kittens is actually a sign that he’s interested in a biology. He’ll probably become a surgeon when his older. He’s a good boy.

BorisManUtd

Thought we'd lose 3-1 to City and 3-2 to Newcastle but looks like I was optimistic :lol:

TomSkalle

Its the first time i didnt know who on United to give Man of the match.
Nobody stands out.
Great group of players we have atm.

BrayRed

Unless

Casemiro injured as well appearently and out of Saturday. Just brilliant

Heinzesight

Newcastle didn’t even play that well. Two of the goals absolute gifts and for their third, letting that prick run most of the half and not get closed down with four players around him then just allowed a free shot on the D is inexcusable.

Our team looked miserable from the first minute and looks like they’ve given up on the manager…absolute bastards all of them. Only player who looked arsed was Hannibal. The rest can go feck themselves.

And Rashford and Fernandes were just as shit when they came on.

Insipid cnuts.

paulscholes18

What an awful side Newcastle put out as well, I was confident after seeing the teamsheet, Christ these useless wankers have downed tools.

UTD_Since_1978

Yet another dreadful performance, back to back 3-0 home defeats, I dunno who can replace him but ETH is looking as clueless as OGS & saying exactly the same things in his post match comments as Ole did.

People saying we need a reset, I thought the appointment of ETH was going to be that reset but apparently not.

Keep playing like this & we won't even finish in the top half of the EPL table yet alone do anything else.

lex talionis

We were crap, but Newcastle's finishing was the kind of stuff you only see on YouTube videos. Whoever scored those goals will never score goals like that ever again in their careers.

But let's not take our eye off the ball...we were crap. Decaying fecal matter too rotten for even the lowliest housefly to bother with.

MartinPaul

Team doesn’t know how to play with each other, the blame has to be laid on the coaching staff.
Has to be the worst performance this season And we sold too many tickets to Newcastle

tjb

I don´t know if 10Hag is a right manager. I know our squad isn´t anywhere as good as it should be. But im sure one of the main problems are players attitude. Fecking lazy primadonnas, after a huge paycheck. Ready to throw manager under a bus. It has been like this already 10 years. If we will sack 10Hag and hire a new manager, it will be same. At least as long as it is not someone like Zidane. They don´t respect manager, they don´t respect fans. They think they are bigger than club. This club needs full rebuild from bottom to top.
Honestly, I don't think this has anything to do with the players. This is tactical and it's been that way all season.

Fans expect players to go out and perform whilst either following directions that aren't being communicated properly or aren't good. There is literally no indication that players are purposely not performing. What is quite clear is that we have massive gaps between attack and defence. Casemiro hasn't been able to cover that space all season. Losing Shaw and Licha seems to have totally disabled our ability to play out of the back, which much weaker teams can do. Teams have been able to hurt us on cutbacks and drives through midfield. We've also consistently lost the midfield battle in almost every game. Fans like to cry about players, but Rashford, Bruno and Hojlund aren't in the build up play.

What has been suggested is that we haven't been able to play decent football since 2 members of our backline have been injured. Yet we can watch teams with lesser players than Varane, Licha, Maguire, Dalot, AWB, Malacia and Shaw do this. Last season, the same excuse was used for the striker position. Every element has to be perfect for us to even look like a decent team, whilst I can watch Spurs, Brighton and Villa play well.

A poor team of players is what Chelsea look like. They can dominate games, but have issues scoring and concede weak goals due to defensive lapses and an inability to finish chances. Their players are still able to move the ball quickly enough and spread it around the pitch. Their issue is that when moments of quality are needed, their lack of quality shows. I can tell you how they attack, how they set up, how they build up and how they attempt to defend. I could do that somewhat with United last season, but since Erik started trying to transition, I haven't been able to see that. As fans we re confused, but so are the players.

Our fans always seem to want to praise managers and dish our on players when things don't go well. I'd argue that our arrogance in needing to feel less cold than other top teams has led us to try and make every manager we have the next Messiah. It's ok to run through managers until you get the right one. The Glazers actual mistake over the last ten years has been them not getting involved with the club on these type of issues. You sack managers when your team performs this badly for this long. A manager should fear that.a manager should know that poor performances won't be tolerated and as a result not take risks like bringing in Mount or Antony. Or break up a system that was working to experiment on transition. That's what happens when managers feel too comfortable. IMO the standard that's fallen isn't just about our players, but the lack of pressure put on our managers

Big Andy

Bloke
Getting Ole’d before half time, fecking embarrassing.

one of the worst performances I’ve ever had the displeasure to sit through. Left on 70 minutes for the first time ever. feck those cnuts, not fit to wear the shirt

dcrompton

When we lost 4-0 at Everton 4 years ago Solskjaer said in post match that he would be here longer than these players. Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, Rashford and Martial all still here and all will be here longer than Ten Hag. Lindelof was even our captain at one point today? Has there ever been a worse United captain?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The xg looks a fair reflection of what I saw but fair play to Newcastle taking their chances so well, and the piddling nature of our defending also made the good chances they did get a lot easier. Longstaff was one of the only Newcastle players who didn't look like scoring one out of nothing tonight, and oddly enough he's also the only one we've ever shown an interest in purchasing! We do love signing huffers who can't finish.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Three players who never score all fire fecking laser beams into the side netting. Feels like every week a graphic pops up showing how it's the dogshit player who has just scored against us's first goal in professional football or whatever.

I don't know how we can somehow manage to be so shit and so unlucky at the same time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Feels like we are starting to free fall from now, reminds me of last days of Ole and Mourinho.

Laurencio

Three players who never score all fire fecking laser beams into the side netting. Feels like every week a graphic pops up showing how it's the dogshit player who has just scored against us's first goal in professional football or whatever.

I don't know how we can somehow manage to be so shit and so unlucky at the same time.
Ten Hag is playing real life FM. Buying his favorites for far too much money, struggling to sell anyone for a decent price, looking at stat charts, delivering press conference lines, trying to beat the tactic regression bug by switching things up and getting FM'ed by players who haven't scored in 37 games and what not.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I was so busy today I totally forgot about this but I'll take that as a blessing. Sorry to all those who had to suffer through it. It's very sad when you're beyond feeling disappointed. It's just numbness now.
I wish I'd forgotten

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Ten Hag is playing real life FM. Buying his favorites for far too much money, struggling to sell anyone for a decent price, looking at stat charts, delivering press conference lines, trying to beat the tactic regression bug by switching things up and getting FM'ed by players who haven't scored in 37 games and what not.
That does sound about right!

All we really need to do is play gegenpressing, sign a few decent newgens and set up a nice little corner routine that exploits the match engine. I know just the man for the job:

redmanx

That does sound about right!

All we really need to do is play gegenpressing, sign a few decent newgens and set up a nice little corner routine that exploits the match engine. I know just the man for the job:
I think the way we are now the routine of a corner shop would be beyond us.

Duncan the Great

ETH must go, regardless of having no one nailed on to take over. There was a little sign of improvement (post SAF) prior to signing the carthorse that is Maguire but since then everthing seems to have slowly got worse and worse, to the point where one cannot see them ever winning again. If I was the coach off a team that was continually performing so poorly I would be seriously questioning my own ability, and consequentlty looking to resigning. Never, even the rare games we have won has he put out a team that looks ballanced and seen to play with a recognisable style or system. It is blatantly obvious the players are not buying into what ever way he is asking them to play and whether this is what you call loosing the dressing room I don't know, but it cannot be allowed to continue any longer..
There is not another defence in the Prem that would allow the so called best finisher in the world, so much room at the back post, he was10 to 12 metres from the nearest Utd player when he headed their 2nd goal. Basic defending in any ones book, surely a defender had been asigned to pick him up inside the box. He seems way out of his depth and is clueless as to how he get out of the hole they have dug for themselves.
One can only hope there are bodies in the club looking into finding a replacement for him so the rot can hopefully be stopped and at least get the team competing in games, not rolling over and so readily accepting defeat.

Pscholes18

Dalot is absolute shite......what a fecking muppet.....it just hit me....not a single player on this team has any technique. Plain Janes the lot of them.

Anytime they start moving forward someone stops and passes it back. Constantly stopping on the break and passing it backward. Surely ETH doesn't tell everyone who doesn't have the ball to just stand in one spot? Dire times indeed.

House Mkhitaryan

Honestly, I don't think this has anything to do with the players. This is tactical and it's been that way all season.

Fans expect players to go out and perform whilst either following directions that aren't being communicated properly or aren't good. There is literally no indication that players are purposely not performing. What is quite clear is that we have massive gaps between attack and defence. Casemiro hasn't been able to cover that space all season. Losing Shaw and Licha seems to have totally disabled our ability to play out of the back, which much weaker teams can do. Teams have been able to hurt us on cutbacks and drives through midfield. We've also consistently lost the midfield battle in almost every game. Fans like to cry about players, but Rashford, Bruno and Hojlund aren't in the build up play.

What has been suggested is that we haven't been able to play decent football since 2 members of our backline have been injured. Yet we can watch teams with lesser players than Varane, Licha, Maguire, Dalot, AWB, Malacia and Shaw do this. Last season, the same excuse was used for the striker position. Every element has to be perfect for us to even look like a decent team, whilst I can watch Spurs, Brighton and Villa play well.

A poor team of players is what Chelsea look like. They can dominate games, but have issues scoring and concede weak goals due to defensive lapses and an inability to finish chances. Their players are still able to move the ball quickly enough and spread it around the pitch. Their issue is that when moments of quality are needed, their lack of quality shows. I can tell you how they attack, how they set up, how they build up and how they attempt to defend. I could do that somewhat with United last season, but since Erik started trying to transition, I haven't been able to see that. As fans we re confused, but so are the players.

Our fans always seem to want to praise managers and dish our on players when things don't go well. I'd argue that our arrogance in needing to feel less cold than other top teams has led us to try and make every manager we have the next Messiah. It's ok to run through managers until you get the right one. The Glazers actual mistake over the last ten years has been them not getting involved with the club on these type of issues. You sack managers when your team performs this badly for this long. A manager should fear that.a manager should know that poor performances won't be tolerated and as a result not take risks like bringing in Mount or Antony. Or break up a system that was working to experiment on transition. That's what happens when managers feel too comfortable. IMO the standard that's fallen isn't just about our players, but the lack of pressure put on our managers
Great post and I agree completely. Our players seem to constantly be in a disadvantaged position, outnumbered and likely to fail. Contrast this with a team like Man City, where their players seem to always be in a position to make something positive happen. When entire squad is like this (good or bad), it almost certainly comes down to coaching/tactics. What seems to have happened with our players is they all have experienced so much failure this season that now they have all played themselves out of form.

Player Ratings

3.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 210 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 14% Man Utd 0:2 Newcastle