PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 December 2023

M Bison

Supports
York City
Maguire, and to an extent Shaw, are the only ones who can come away from that with any dignity. The rest were awful, Sunday league standard.

OrcaFat

Newcastle are just better than us at the moment.

We lost too many battles. The team lacks physicality. Ralf was saying that two years ago and it’s not really changed.

Wazzaduke33

Rashford is so so so so bad, there’s something going on there . . .

Woodzy

That Spurs left back was probably our third best player which says a lot really.

Smudgers

Shocking performance, Rashford needs to sort himself out he , at the moment, is an embarrassment, Martial why pick him above Rasmus , unbelievable, well done Harry and Luke , and Kobe , the rest well !!

BTG

ETH isn't it.

I don't know who is or who we could even get that is, but for the biggest team in the world we are playing like a squad trying to avoid relegation.

Samoerai Jack

I wonder if Rashford has a provision in his contract that he has to play when fit. Because he didn't deserve to start, and did nothing to prove otherwise.

ETH has been admirably consistent and fair in his dealings with the players. But if Rashford can continue to put in performances like this and keep getting picked that'll undermine all the good work. There's no reason to believe Marcus will sort himself out on the pitch. He's had enough time and it's hurting United too much.

abailey123

How did that only finish 1-0? Newcastle had more desire, work rate, everything you want in a team. The amount of lack of tracking runs from us was pathetic. Really poor performance that.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Bollocks.

Onana is shaky.
Dalot is crap.
Shaw should have been LB
McTominay is crap, don’t care how many he scores, it will never be enough to mitigate his awful performance.
Too much on Mainoos shoulders. He’s good but we shouldn’t rely on him.
Rashford is fecking useless on the right. He’s right off the pace at the moment. He looked so poor tonight.
Martial is an absolute waste of space.
Garnashers was poor again tonight too.

It’s just not good enough all over the park.

Kudos to Harry Maguire for being the only player on the park in red who looked like he gave a shit.

Okey

Embarrassing. This can't go on much longer can it? Should it even get to January? We're poor beyond belief.

Superden

Livaremento and Tripper did more in defence, midfield and attack than any of our players. Shambolic.

davidmichael

Utterly disgusting performance and outside of Maguire and Shaw no one can be happy with their performance, basically played with 9 men due to Rashford and Martial not bothering at all.

I will never understand playing Dalot at left back and we looked far better when Regulion came on, players should play in their best position or NOT at all.

I’m now firmly in the sack ETH camp and I never thought I would be as I really wanted him over the prior couple of years before he did come. Awful team selections, awful in game management, awful ability to make changes when needed, no aggression, no desire, no set style and it’s clear the players have no idea what they’re meant to be doing.

Gee Male

Inept, cowardly shit. No desire, no heart. Literally no sense of what competition is, either in the game as a whole or in each individual moment.

Genuinely shocking level of determination in this team.

Going nowhere again.

The Irish Connection

Woeful.
Our build up from the back through midfield is miles away from the top 8 teams.
Ten Hag deserves criticism for the starting lineup, particularly Martial and Rashford, and how late his subs were.
As limited as Antony is, he deserved a start after Galatasary and given Rashfords form.
Injuries have been tough but we can barely keep the ball.

Edit: Maguire motm again for us. Fair play to him. Happy to keep him as a squad player unless someone offers a fair amount.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Suffered through this abortion on a shit stream, Lightning lost 8-1, & we’re gonna start a third stringer in the ACC Championship tonight.

What a shit show of a day for me.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought Maguire was utter shit myself after a run of decent performances from him before this. Shaw was the only good player for us. Rashford has to be dropped. No excuse for starting him in the next game after that performance, he needs to prove he can contribute from the bench before we even think about starting him again.

Red_Aaron

Whenever we actually managed to get the ball we'd turn it over within 3 passes

Wan Bissaka sleeping for the goal

Zero threat up front

Starting to lose faith in the manager tbh

youngrell

Our lack of intensity and fight completely shown up by Newcastle. They aren’t even very good, but they are earn whatever they get.

Glorio

From the 1st to 85 minute bossed and out fought in that match. Man United defended reasonably well when you consider it was a defence with zero protection. Goal given away was soft the frustrating part for Ten Hag but any least the games only goal didn't come from a big individual error tonight
His fault - the amount of chances we give away, the defenders can only focus for so long. We had no plan, no protection of the defence, and anyone could see the goal coming from a mile away.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Inevitable, that was the sad truth. It's just too easy to predict these days. We got fortunate against Everton last week that they were clinical in the first half. This time round we play the same way against a better team and get easily outmatched.

If we play away from home against a decent team we will struggle to come out with a draw.

tomaldinho1

Two sides to this story.

Players: I’m not sure - particularly first half- if we won a single 50/50 or flicked on/knock down ball? Our flanks are weak as anything I’ve seen at United, Rashford was appalling, Garnacho is young and was caught out a lot, Dalot is poor, AWB was good but will be remembered for getting paced by Gordon. We have a slow team who make poor decision and nothing in midfield so we try and pass out form the back and it’s basically the back 5 + Mainoo and then a chasm, then the rest of the team. It’s awful.

ETH: what was he expecting to happen in this game with that setup? Playing a child as a DM and then the most wayward CM/AM pair he could have fielded.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Thought we handled the game well for 30 mins, soaked up pressure well and looked comfortable and fancied us going forward, I was unusually positive

but after 30 mins but especially all the 2nd half was nothing short of pathetic. I have nothing positive except that Maguire clearly tried his best

Rustyspider13

Disgraceful. Both from the players and the manager. This isn't a team that knows what they want to do on the pitch.

daveskimufc

The problem is nothing changes. The same formation, the same "tactics", nothing new. We've got a weak midfield, why cant they see that. Try something new.

352?, 3241? Just try

The Hilton

The difference in application was huge, Newcastle played that like a cup final, whereas we didn't match their application at all until the final few minutes.

They should have had a red card though, and the ref bottled a few other decisions in order to avoid the home crowd saying nasty things to him.

Telsim

0.36 xG against Newcastle's second team. Is this a joke?

SonOfFergie

I don't care what Rashford did for this club in the past or what he will do for this club in the future. The way he downed tools whenever he feels like it now for at least two managers he can take his presumptuous lazy ass and feck off somewhere else. As a local player supposedly world class (but in reality nowhere near that level) no matter the manager he should be displaying courage, fire and setting the standards for the rest of the players. Now the only thing he displays is that we play effectively with a player less on whichever flank he is played. ETH should have balls and drop him, no player is bigger than a club.

Tactically after first half we should get Lindelof at CB, put Shaw on the wing, replace Rashford immediately with anyone else (Antony/Pellistri) and get Hojlund on. Again late with substitutions.

How is Scharr tackle not reviewed by VAR is a total joke. The least it warranted a yellow.

Hester_manc

AWB did not get much help from Rashford in the first half. But AWB made a huge mistake at the goal, where he was watching football instead of following his man. He feel asleep in that situation and it costed us the goal.

steffyr2

I wonder if Rashford has a provision in his contract that he has to play when fit. Because he didn't deserve to start, and did nothing to prove otherwise.

ETH has been admirably consistent and fair in his dealings with the players. But if Rashford can continue to put in performances like this and keep getting picked that'll undermine all the good work. There's no reason to believe Marcus will sort himself out on the pitch. He's had enough time and it's hurting United too much.
I presume the players that get on the field are doing what eth wants from them. This is it.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Quick shout out to the GLAZERS, absolute wankstains on our club. Hope nothing good happens to them.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 67% of 236 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 258 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw