PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 15 May 2024

MyBloodIsRed

Amad should’ve been starting ages ago. Antony sold and Rashy can be a bench player. We need players bought in and fit what ETH wants to do. Great performance by Amrabat!
If we have to use Case as a CB we will give away a pen or 2 in the Cup Final …. Shocking

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Fair play to Ten and the lads.I thought the best we would do was a score draw. I presume it was Geordies doing the booing at the end? At least I hope so.
Good goals by the 3 lads .

r0663664

Worships Man City
Trying to get some highlights of the game and got snippets. First goal from Mainoo was lucky beside that Amad and Hoijund was good goals. Again, I see Onana long kick causing our own problem as well as allowing a corner to a immediate counter attack. Why does it happen again and again? Why does Erik allows this to happen? It seems that he knows it is happen and chose to continue because our opponents are shit. I hope Amad is given a fair chance else this boy will end up as a great player once he leaves United.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Anyone who thinks we're better off without Bruno is an utter utter moron, especially after the last two performances without him and with Mason Mount and McTominay playing instead.

Also, we would have done far better this season with Bruno false-nine, and Hojlund shifted to the right until he's good enough, like end-stage Lukaku was.
100%

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Amazing how calm this place is even after a meaningless win after a shocking season. Just shows how quickly the overall mood will shift again with a couple of signings and early wins next season.

NZT-One

I guess next season I'll skip the player ratings. I have no fecking clue, what kind of match people have seen to hand out 6's, 7's and even 8's to our players. We were the slightly worse from two rather average teams today. Too bad Newcastle couldn't finish, god knows we gave them chances. Amrabat too easily pressured, McTominay kills his myth of being a physical player, seeing him not able to hold his ground as soon as someone slightly in his weight class is around. 2 bouncy goals and counter. This is Ole football all over again. I really think, I enjoyed the Arsenal match than this today. At least we looked like we played together, today it was as frantic as ever.
Kudos to the team for holding onto the result, kudos to ETH as his subs paid off and kudos to everybody for punishing Newcastles weak finishing. I had to rewatch it as I missed the first half, unfortunately got a glimpse of the result though. I hoped I could say we are now a bunch of gameraising players but no, not even that.

Cantonagotmehere

Entertaining game today that I can feel good about since we actually had a positive result.

Amad seems to be taking his chance and impressing so that's great. Fernandes had a very good game. Amrabat also. It's probably a case of too little too late for him, but wish he had played more like this earlier in the season and/or actually got chances.

Hojlund getting a goal could be massive for his confidence going into the final.

Nice to see a few injured players back too.
You have to wonder if Armabat really got a run and some confidence how he would have done this season. He's been miles better than Casemiro in that role this year over last couple of matches. (I know it's a small sample)

NZT-One

Anyone who thinks we're better off without Bruno is an utter utter moron, especially after the last two performances without him and with Mason Mount and McTominay playing instead.
That attitude will do wonders to keep the Bruno thread firing forever. But I guess this will continue on another day, today we'll "celebrate" the great win over Newcastle, that came from to bouncy balls and Newcastles inability to finish.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Some great play in the first half. We could have been 2 up at HT. Newcastle are a dirty team. Onana still makes me nervous, but it was their keeper who made big errors. Delightful to see us put 3 past the Toon. Sandcastle United seemed to almost expect a win. I thought they were a bit thrown by ETH tactics. Very weirdly biased/agenda driven commentary on Sky. I have Bruno MOTM but Case was great too. Applause for Evans, Dalot and Mainoo, too. C’mon United.

sepulturite

I was just thinking, considering how terrible this season has been and how awful we've been in most games I can't believe we could potentially end up on 60 points. We've been that bad 90% of the time.

croadyman

Maybe it's just me but first time in ages we have beaten a team with a quality midfield

caid

Maybe it's just me but first time in ages we have beaten a team with a quality midfield
Probably because they dont have one. Guimaraes is very good but Longstaff and Anderson or Joelinton isn't much to shout about.

maximus419

It was a pleasantly surprising win and more important performance. I think it shows when everyone is putting in the effort, as well as a more balanced line up they can get results against anyone.

I do feel that this was an exception though and it's nothing about the team turning a corner. Last home game of the season, one eye on getting picked for FA cup final, that played a far bigger role in the effort and performance. That's the biggest issue really, attitude. How do you get the players to put that in for every game, it's a question unanswered for many years.

Dan_F

Newcastle fans are a weird bunch, singing about Shearer all game. I’ve never met a single United fan who gives a shit about him not signing. Maybe if it happened in the last 10 years it would sting but we were in our most successful period of the clubs history. The striker we signed that summer won us the treble. So so strange.

erikcred

Newcastle fans are a weird bunch, singing about Shearer all game. I’ve never met a single United fan who gives a shit about him not signing. Maybe if it happened in the last 10 years it would sting but we were in our most successful period of the clubs history. The striker we signed that summer won us the treble. So so strange.
Makes complete sense to me. Let's list some trophies they could sing about having won. What's the most recent one?

redmanx

Fair play to Ten and the lads.I thought the best we would do was a score draw. I presume it was Geordies doing the booing at the end? At least I hope so.
Good goals by the 3 lads .
Performances like this simply beg the question "Why are the majority of our performances so bad?"

freddie the red

Entertaining game and happy to see Amad, Kobee and Rasmus get on the scoresheet.
I know Alejandro has had a drop in form of late but I like the lad. Always tries hard, always an outlet and gives the oppo stuff to think about.
Build around those 4 going forward and hopefully things will improve over the coming seasons.

moodyred

Great game. We were playing with more urgency and confidence and Bruno does make a difference.

I know Amad did well, but consistency is key if he is to be a first team player. Yes, I would like to see more of him.

We were however rather shakey in defence yet again. The game could easily have been a draw or even a loss if some of Newcastle's missed chances had gone in. I would say we deserve the victory, but just.

wildflower2007

Who'd have thought the youngsters like Garnacho, Mainoo, Amad and Hojlund were the answer going forward? Mind blown!

Also, got to say, Amrabat was everywhere and annoying Newcastle wherever he could.
Casimero may well be better in central defence now his legs are going, so shorter bursts suit him. We know he can read a game well and can pass out, so who knows? Maybe he can transition like Valencia did and get a few more years out of himself. He might be a good squad option, I'd take him over Lindelof anytime.
Shows we don't need Rashford.

GregM40

First game I’ve genuinely enjoyed since the Liverpool game. Can’t even remember last time I celebrated a goal!

Bruno was unplayable last night, brilliant. Why has it taken this long to have some sort of cohesion in midfield? Baffled. We could be much better off in the league, regardless of injuries.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Probably because they dont have one. Guimaraes is very good but Longstaff and Anderson or Joelinton isn't much to shout about.
Thought Anderson played ok for them. He always wanted the ball and could be rather physical.

redmanx

Makes complete sense to me. Let's list some trophies they could sing about having won. What's the most recent one?
Shearer was a great goal scorer, but it seems that rather winning trophies and honours, as he would have done with United, he was more interested in the money as he turned Sir Alex down twice, once for Blackburn where he won a single Premier League, then Newcastle where he won 2 FA Cup R/U medals. Shearer claimed he was joining Newcastle as it was his "home" team, but he had already turned them down to join Blackburn from Southampton. One Premier League and a couple of Golden Boot awards is very little to show for a player of Shearers undoubted skill.

wildflower2007

Shearer was a great goal scorer, but it seems that rather winning trophies and honours, as he would have done with United, he was more interested in the money as he turned Sir Alex down twice, once for Blackburn where he won a single Premier League, then Newcastle where he won 2 FA Cup R/U medals. Shearer claimed he was joining Newcastle as it was his "home" team, but he had already turned them down to join Blackburn from Southampton. One Premier League and a couple of Golden Boot awards is very little to show for a player of Shearers undoubted skill.
I saw Shearer play a few times and for England, he was a brilliant striker to watch, scored some stunning goals. But I've always thought the same, that when he retired, his trophy cabinet will look pretty empty, when it should have been chock full of medals and trophies.
I always get the impression when he speaks of turning Sir Alex down that there's a deep regret inside, you can sort of see it in his eyes, like he knows he shouldn't have. He could have been incredible at United, he'd have scored a shitload of goals being fed by Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and Keane behind him.

Can't help but feel that Kanes career is almost a carbon copy of Shearers, that for someone so prolific at goalscoring, he'll not have much to show for it.

AndyMUFC

I guess next season I'll skip the player ratings. I have no fecking clue, what kind of match people have seen to hand out 6's, 7's and even 8's to our players. We were the slightly worse from two rather average teams today. Too bad Newcastle couldn't finish, god knows we gave them chances. Amrabat too easily pressured, McTominay kills his myth of being a physical player, seeing him not able to hold his ground as soon as someone slightly in his weight class is around. 2 bouncy goals and counter. This is Ole football all over again. I really think, I enjoyed the Arsenal match than this today. At least we looked like we played together, today it was as frantic as ever.
Kudos to the team for holding onto the result, kudos to ETH as his subs paid off and kudos to everybody for punishing Newcastles weak finishing. I had to rewatch it as I missed the first half, unfortunately got a glimpse of the result though. I hoped I could say we are now a bunch of gameraising players but no, not even that.
People’s opinions just change based on the result haha.

I thought we played some better football first half but yeah it was still a similar sort of game to we’ve seen all year, with Newcastle having 20 + shots. It’s just we were on the winning side this time.

Fitchett

It was a really enjoyable open game to watch. Both teams going for it and no parking of the bus. Midfield was much better with Amrabat as the anchor. Attack was much better with a proper right winger in Amad. It beggars belief that Ten Hag has barely used this pair in their best positions all season. Throw in a top performance from Fernandes, solid displays from Onana, Mainoo and Garnacho and there's the basis of a decent team.

johnnyteutonic

Fully agreed.

Too many loose passes, not great build up from the back, very chaotic and just not convincing at all.

To be fair I haven't watched us play much lately but if this is what people think is a good performance, then I'm really not sure what to say.

Grande

Great game. We were playing with more urgency and confidence and Bruno does make a difference.

I know Amad did well, but consistency is key if he is to be a first team player. Yes, I would like to see more of him.

We were however rather shakey in defence yet again. The game could easily have been a draw or even a loss if some of Newcastle's missed chances had gone in. I would say we deserve the victory, but just.
It’s great to see a deserved victory vs Newcastle (one of the in form teams) with goals from Mainoo, Amad and Højlund, and Garnacho not having an even faintly good day (mentally knackered?). Give them a couple of years of consistency and experience, it might be great fun to watch on a regular basis, and we would still have an extrordinary young team.

You could also see hints of what Licha brings to this team when he came on.

peridigm

We are nothing without Bruno. We need another two with his technical abilities.
Yeah, we should not be a one man team but we need a fit squad with some additional quality in several areas. This will be the season to forget.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
First game I’ve genuinely enjoyed since the Liverpool game. Can’t even remember last time I celebrated a goal!

Bruno was unplayable last night, brilliant. Why has it taken this long to have some sort of cohesion in midfield? Baffled. We could be much better off in the league, regardless of injuries.
I guess we've had 2 good games all season, Liverpool and Newcastle at home. I don't remember any other really good game.

NZT-One

You seem pretty upset that we won?
This year United created a bit of trauma... consider myself a football fan first right now and I think the better team didn't win today. Probably should have been 1:1 or close 2:1 but us scoring 3 times to me tells the wrong story of the match. But it is subjective, nice to hear that people enjoyed it.

I guess we've had 2 good games all season, Liverpool and Newcastle at home. I don't remember any other really good game.
It says a lot about our season when yesterday is considered a good game.

Maticmaker

Good result, some good performances, but as usual we rode our luck at times. One or two signs that 'the schoolboy' mentality might be ebbing, noticed at our throw-ins in their final third, Scott and occasional Amad went to stand on the dead ball, as they cannot be offside from a throw in and this cause a stir in Newcastle's defence that led to confusion. Time was taken with free kicks in the middle third of the field, again looked like we knew what we were doing, and it confused Newcastle who initially were expecting a quick take and had all our bases covered.
Special mention must be given to Amrabat like a human dynamo, here there and everywhere, when he needed to be..long time since we've such positive running and a refusal to be muscled-off the ball. Bet he slept well last night.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Better football, but really the same 'ol . . . we were very lucky and did anyone really doubt that Newcastle would get that second goal near the end and make us suffer. Can't agree with those who like Amrabat, he's so slow and lumbering, does nothing really special except every great once in a while surprise us like blocking Isak's shot, and is a massive liability, as evidenced by their first goal. Definition of mediocre. And as good as he is and can be, Garnacho's errant passing and losing the ball has to be called out. It's suicidal. It is everything that is wrong with us as a side. I can't understand how after two years Ten Hag hasn't remedied our shit passing and foolish ball losing that's killing us. For that alone he should be sacked.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 54% of 201 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 187 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw