PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Norwich City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 April 2022

WPMUFC

saved from absolute embarrassment by a poor GK error. Think that sums up our entire effort.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
That win yesterday is one step closer to us securing 7th place. Liverpool will walk over us on Tuesday, Norwich done it and nearly won the game. Then we have arsenal and Chelsea to play as well which again we will struggle so top 4 looks close on paper but in reality it’s never going to happen.

Lentwood

The part about "no other team" conceding those types of goals is bang on, but the reason it happens has been obvious all season.

We have no midfield and we basically defend with four players. Teams can cut through us at will and our back four are usually man-for-man or even outnumbered.

I'll say it for the millionth time, but our defenders are not mugs. We can argue about how good they are exactly, but Maguire starts every game for England, Lindelof is Sweden captain and Varane is one of the most decorated CBs in the game. The amount of last-ditch defending and fire-fighting they have to do makes it an impossible job.

Swearing Budgie

Sancho and Rashford cannot beat a man, so why do they keep trying?

Lingard was okay but Bruno was shit.

Maticmaker

Best three players we had on the pitch were the three oldest... CR, can't argue with a hat trick!, Matic, moment he came on he look like he knew what he was doing and Mata immediately found space, although I also thought Lingard was OK.

'Schoolboy' defending at times Telles and Dalot were terrible and Pogba was on a stroll.

Will watch Liverpool game from behind the sofa!

UTD_Since_1978

First off, that so-called protest, waste of time, at the start of the match the TV cameras showed the extent of this so-called protest by show a ground virtually packed with tiny little pockets of empty seats dotted about the place, I'm sure the Glazers are quaking in their boots at this not so awesome protest.

You've got 60,000+ UTD supporters at OT & the protest organisers could not get them to unify against the Glazers, instead all they got was tiny little groups of people & the Glazers are in the USA laughing their heads off at this so-called protest where 99% of UTD fans didn't give a fig about protesting against the Glazers as it clearly showed in the TV coverage of the ground being virtually full at kick-off.

Secondly, anybody who thinks Ronaldo is still the problem needs their head examined.

Cantonagotmehere

Well! That was a bit more worrying than it needed to be!
Ronaldo FC wins it for us. Krul had two lucky saves earlier (one from Lingard, another with his shins) so him making a mistake for Ronaldo's 3rd is fair. Edit: if Krul had kept his feet planted instead of that little shuffle step to his left right before Ronaldo hit the ball, he would have had more than a fingertip on the shot and would have saved it, so I call that a Krul mistake, as great as the kick was, it was savable.
Sancho, Lindelof, Elanga, DeGea had very good games. Mata came on and was instantly the best player on the pitch. Good subs from RR because it was like we were playing not only without a central midfield but also without a defense. I rewatched the goals and Telles' positioning was suicidal. He kept getting sucked towards the ball and leaving 1 or 2 Norwich players free at the back post.
Lindelof bailed us out at least twice with last-minute interceptions. He had a really strong game.
Dalot showed flashes and his sliding effort in our box probably saved the points for us. Both he and Telles are really being shown up as just not there defensively, although I think both are better at getting forward than the 2 nominally ahead of them (AWB, Shaw). If we are going to gamble with our fullbacks bombing up the wing, someone needs to drop and fill, and no one was.
If we play like this on Tuesday it's going to be a bloodbath.
Pogba was brilliant and abysmal. Sublime skill then casual as feck and sloppy. Can he even sprint? I'm not sure, he does a sort of gallop that's faster than walking but you never seem him really stretching his legs.
Bruno made one of his now trademarked bad passes that usually end up in the opponents scoring. Today, we got lucky. It's just not coming off for him lately, maybe it's fatigue or maybe he's trying too many risky passes, but he's been on a massive downward trajectory for awhile now.
Rashford, good god man, what has happened to you? He's got nothing in his locker now except speed, he can't move with the ball, can't beat a man. I would rather have seen one of the two ballyhooed youth come on in his stead. Rashford is not only not contributing he's an actual detriment to the team, take him out of the firing line and let him regroup.
Maguire was good not as rubbish as he has been, except he did his usual stand rooted to the spot while pointing at opponents, as if that's going to magically cover that player. He can do basic defending, repel aerial balls and that's about it. He's so, so limited as a player and that's down to his lack of mobility, which makes his positioning awful because he can't recover, and then he panics. He's nowhere near being an elite level player. His diagonals out to Telles were good at giving us space and time, the only time he messed that up was when he tried to bomb one to Ronaldo. Maguire is far too static for my liking, gets stuck on his heels and just acts like a cone. He might survive the first season under ETH but not the second.
Perfect Pogba summation. Cannot wait for him to be gone.

Stadjer

Annoying that a 2-0 lead was just given away like that. Was hoping for some Hannibal or Garnacho minutes... instead we got the Mata/Matic retirement tour and hopeless Rashford.

Foxbatt

I think the poor showing off Dalot and Telles show us the importance of Fred in the side. Without him and Pogba having a stroll there was no midfield. Ralf was naive in thinking that even against Norwich, Pogba was going to listen to him. He never listens to anyone. Not Jose, Not Ole and now not Ralf.

The King Eric

I was at yesterday's game and this is my 2 cents on it.

In terms of who played well, outside of Ronaldo, it may not be popular on here, but Jesse Lingard was very very good!! Bruno was poor, nothing came off for him and it almost cost us, Sancho is brilliant with the ball at his feet, but will not run the length of himself, so many times we had the chance to break and our players looked either so short of fitness or just had no clue what to do or just couldn't be bothered. Our defence is shocking, lindelof was by far our best and most competent defender, the others honestly are not of the standard we require if we want to get back yo a competing level. Pogba is brilliant on occasions and then seems disinterested and poor on others. It's definitely the right decision to have a mutual parting of the ways in the summer.

Onto Ronaldo. I never got to see Georgie Best play at Old Trafford but to see a true world great and probably the best player ever in the flesh and score a hat trick was special.

United in general, we are shocking, shockingly bad! The lack of effort apart from a few is telling. ETH has a massive job on his hands. We need a massive clear out and a complete change in attitude. Yesterday was the first time in 30 years following United that I heard, you're not fit to wear the shirt sung. That says it all.

Reactions: Jippy

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Man Utd doesn't deserve CR.

That said, Man Utd desperately needs CR for 22-23.

Hammondo

I quite liked the conclusions after first 30 minutes in the matchday thread:
- Ronaldo proving haters wrong(he actually scored 3 so fair enough)
- Pogba deserves his contract extension
- We are so much better defensively with Lindelof

All made after 30 minutes against the worst team in the league.
You thought Pogba played well?

UTD_Since_1978

You thought Pogba played well?
I know you weren't asking me but I think Pogba did well yesterday, he was displaying some skills, some good passes & some good runs but I'm not saying we should break the bank to give him a new contract or if he stays at UTD next season he will be player of the season at the end of it.

Hammondo

I know you weren't asking me but I think Pogba did well yesterday, he was displaying some skills, some good passes & some good runs but I'm not saying we should break the bank to give him a new contract or if he stays at UTD next season he will be player of the season at the end of it.
You don't ask much for a "good" performance.

redmanx

Despite the 3 points I cant see us finishing any higher than 5th, if we're lucky, but my biggest fear now is either Liverpool or City replicating our Treble; Liverpool could even go one better, so Im hoping Chelsea win the FA Cup and City the Prem because if not we would never hear the last of it, either from City or Liverpool or the media who love them so much and love to put us down.

Wing Attack Plan R

I was at yesterday's game and this is my 2 cents on it.

In terms of who played well, outside of Ronaldo, it may not be popular on here, but Jesse Lingard was very very good!! Bruno was poor, nothing came off for him and it almost cost us, Sancho is brilliant with the ball at his feet, but will not run the length of himself, so many times we had the chance to break and our players looked either so short of fitness or just had no clue what to do or just couldn't be bothered. Our defence is shocking, lindelof was by far our best and most competent defender, the others honestly are not of the standard we require if we want to get back yo a competing level. Pogba is brilliant on occasions and then seems disinterested and poor on others. It's definitely the right decision to have a mutual parting of the ways in the summer.

Onto Ronaldo. I never got to see Georgie Best play at Old Trafford but to see a true world great and probably the best player ever in the flesh and score a hat trick was special.

United in general, we are shocking, shockingly bad! The lack of effort apart from a few is telling. ETH has a massive job on his hands. We need a massive clear out and a complete change in attitude. Yesterday was the first time in 30 years following United that I heard, you're not fit to wear the shirt sung. That says it all.
Did they single out any particular player for that chant, or was it the whole team?

The Red Thinker

Was on a 500 km drive when I heard about the score. I heard 2-0, then 2-2... then 3-2. I got back home... didn't feel like watching as I thought we'd have been quite shit... took the chance today to see Ronaldo do this thing... BUT MY GOD ARE WE SHITE! The kind that sticks and no amount of water will wash away. Forget the flush, the whole house needs to be redone! We play like a mid-table team. Utterly horrendous defending. Maguire cannot remain captain. Telles is showing his defensive liability. Pogba is a luxury player perfect for super teams, not for hard-working teams ( not that we work hard or anything.)

I cannot watch the Liverpool game. It will be an annihilation.

GueRed

Playing three attacking players in the middle backfired for Ralf. It was almost 4-0-6 at times. There were wide open spaces in the middle of the pitch leaving the defence constantly exposed on the break. It was comical at times.

Defensively as a team poor. Attacking and creativity likewise.

A disjointed and open match, a draw would've been a fair result tbh.

UTD_Since_1978

We should've. If we didn't lose to Everton and managed to win 2 of the many draws (Leicester, Watford, Burnley, Newcastle, Villa, etc.) we would've been favourites for 4th easy.
100% we should've.

When we finished 2nd last season & added Sancho, Varane & Ronaldo to our squad absolutely nobody (UTD fan or ABU) was talking about UTD finishing out of the top 4 this season.

oz insomniac

Watched the game and basically it confirms that obvious that the midfield is a dogs breakfast, how that wasn’t addressed over the past 2/3 seasons is solely on the moron Woodward who has taken the club backwards in a fashion that took a lot of effort.

Until the midfield is rendered competitive, having the likes of Ronaldo and Sancho up front is a luxury given the awful service the receive. Whoever takes charge needs to concentrate on the area between the defence and the attack , it’s like a giant vacuum currently. Fred is at least serviceable, can’t say that for the rest of them.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
100% we should've.

When we finished 2nd last season & added Sancho, Varane & Ronaldo to our squad absolutely nobody (UTD fan or ABU) was talking about UTD finishing out of the top 4 this season.
True although I personally did say that Sancho would not translate his form this season and would start off slow referencing pretty much every young winger apart from the likes of Robben in the last 20 years. Even Ronaldo was hit and miss in his first season. Ultimately he will be a success though.

You definitely lost 4th place. Spurs and Arsenal are only in with a chance because of yourselves. Conte was willing to resign at one point and Arsenal started this season atrociously and took a while to get going. The race for 4th has been interesting, it’s more consistency than quality and whoever achieves it will literally be falling over the line.

Craig Ward

At this point, i'm just grateful for the win.

Whoever we play, whatever the outcome you can 100% expect us to be outworked, outplayed and make mistakes galore.

2-0. Coasting against the worst team in the league. Scrape a win we didnt deserve. Standard utd.

Just watching the lack of effort, from Pogba in particular just makes my blood boil. We are pathetic beyond belief.

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 97% of 211 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 191 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw