PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Nottingham Forest

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 August 2023

Idxomer

The absolute gall of Forest and their fans to complain about Rashford diving after he actually got fouled when Gibbs-White went down numerous times when they were leading whenever someone so much as breathed on him.

They'd be fuming if they didn't get the Rashford penalty themselves, of course, or if one of our players escaped with a yellow for bringing down one of their players running through on goal.

They really shouldn't be feeling hard done by, because they didn't exactly have to do much to be two goals up and as soon as they were they reverted to cowardly tactics. Acting as if the red and the penalty changed the game when we had already completed two thirds of the comeback is a bit of a reach.
He and Brennan Johnson are massive divers.

ColvaleGoa

Nedum Onuha and Martin Keown were frothing at the mouth convincing themselves that it was not a penalty. Watch the clip on social Media and it's is funny to see their Pi** boiling

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Okay. If that's summer international football, then every summer has international football.
Agree. What used to be played 1st week of June has now been pushed back 3 weeks as European seasons and finals are getting later and later.

A summer with a major tournament is obviously a lot worse, but managing the player pre season for bigger clubs is crucial. These tours help in no way whatsoever and we still look a team who are at the end of a long season. We don't look fit or fresh at all.

I'm still stunned there was only 3 minutes added on in the 1st half and 11 minutes in the 2nd half. Groan from the crowd tells you everything you need to know about these ridiculous new stoppage time rules

Crimson King

Nedum Onuha and Martin Keown were frothing at the mouth convincing themselves that it was not a penalty. Watch the clip on social Media and it's is funny to see their Pi** boiling
I can't believe how upset they both get in that clip. Keown calls it an outrage, and brings up the comments Dean made the other week, so consciously linking us to that unrelated controversy.

It's hilarious, but also annoying. That's how the media sets an agenda, just like the Wolves incident that probably cost us against Spurs.

lex talionis

I’m starting to agree that something went wrong during pre-season. We were in a mental fog against Wolves, then again against Spurs and yet again against Forest.

After having conceded two goals in the first four minutes we did wake up and ground out the win, but it’s pretty embarrassing to scrape wins over Wolves and Forest…two clubs we all expect to be in a relegation battle in May.

What went wrong in pre-season I can’t possibly know but the squad just isn’t at the races yet.

Care_de_Bobo

He and Brennan Johnson are massive divers.
Absolutely. Players from the smaller teams rarely get called out on it though and commentators usually praise their clever play for drawing fouls. They can now even foul each other and get awarded for it apparently.

LordSpud

It's painful. I don't see any other clubs' decisions put under the microscope and certainly spoken about by pundits with such disdain for United as this club is. So annoying.

UTD_Since_1978

Good job we were playing crappy Forest any other team with a 2-0 lead over us would no doubt hold on to it.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
It’s a strong team. Takes a lot of spirit to turn around a 0-2 situation. Good things are coming.

glasgow 21

It's painful. I don't see any other clubs' decisions put under the microscope and certainly spoken about by pundits with such disdain for United as this club is. So annoying.
It is now "open season" on United and any negative comments and media hysteria is welcomed with cherries on the top. I said it last year that United as a club had to fight this Casemiro targeting head on. They didn't, so we are now been trampled on at every turn. Referees who give decisions our way are now been hounded, it is absolutely blatant and obvious to the conclusion that it is planned.

tjb

It’s a strong team. Takes a lot of spirit to turn around a 0-2 situation. Good things are coming.
It's not even about them being strong, people are just weirdly negative and impatient at the moment. The media is building a very ugly narrative which is what's causing this.
Why?
The Wolves game was pretty poor, but we won. We then lost to a decent Spurs team, which could happen any season and to any other top team. We outplayed them for the first 45, then had a bit of a collapse in the second half. We then beat Forest at home after conceding 2 early fluky goals in a good performance for both halves. Again, something which happens. Go and look back to United seasons of the past under Fergie and we've had similar starts results wise and even performance wise at times to start the season due to players coming back foggy and tactical plans not being completely operational, working our way into the season.

Yet a narrative of impatience exists at the moment. The weird digs at Onana, the need for Mount to fail, the need to discuss decisions goings United's way ( fairly imo, i don't think the Onana situation would have been called a penalty for most teams, as it generally isn't) and the lack of discussion concerning decisions that should have gone our way but didn't. The media smell blood for some reason and some of our fans are lapping it up, which is allowing them to go further into this.

Arsenal drew yesterday against Fulham. They had the same full back gaps we've been having and are also tweaking things formation wise. Real Madrid in Spain having been winning games and working through their system like us, not necessarily smoking through times and conceding a lot of chances.

I don't even blame the media, as United stories sell. But there's a cloud being built up for no particular reason. We won a game and we have an 8 page thread, yet when we lost last week, it was 17 pages. Negativity, negativity, negativity. It's not analysis, it's looking at something you assume and trying to confirm it. Some people for example are talking about how we reverted to a 4231, we didn't, this was the same free 8's system. No one's talking about injuries we have. It's almost like people have forgotten what it's like to actually support a team.

oreon

It's not even about them being strong, people are just weirdly negative and impatient at the moment. The media is building a very ugly narrative which is what's causing this.
Why?
The Wolves game was pretty poor, but we won. We then lost to a decent Spurs team, which could happen any season and to any other top team. We outplayed them for the first 45, then had a bit of a collapse in the second half. We then beat Forest at home after conceding 2 early fluky goals in a good performance for both halves. Again, something which happens. Go and look back to United seasons of the past under Fergie and we've had similar starts results wise and even performance wise at times to start the season due to players coming back foggy and tactical plans not being completely operational, working our way into the season.

Yet a narrative of impatience exists at the moment. The weird digs at Onana, the need for Mount to fail, the need to discuss decisions goings United's way ( fairly imo, i don't think the Onana situation would have been called a penalty for most teams, as it generally isn't) and the lack of discussion concerning decisions that should have gone our way but didn't. The media smell blood for some reason and some of our fans are lapping it up, which is allowing them to go further into this.

Arsenal drew yesterday against Fulham. They had the same full back gaps we've been having and are also tweaking things formation wise. Real Madrid in Spain having been winning games and working through their system like us, not necessarily smoking through times and conceding a lot of chances.

I don't even blame the media, as United stories sell. But there's a cloud being built up for no particular reason. We won a game and we have an 8 page thread, yet when we lost last week, it was 17 pages. Negativity, negativity, negativity. It's not analysis, it's looking at something you assume and trying to confirm it. Some people for example are talking about how we reverted to a 4231, we didn't, this was the same free 8's system. No one's talking about injuries we have. It's almost like people have forgotten what it's like to actually support a team.
I disagree. Just because fans are negative doesn't mean they don't support the team. We've seen this before. A good season followed by a disastrous one. Fans can't be blamed if they don't have faith on these players. We don't know if this progress or not. This season they could finish 2nd and win FA/Carling cup but there's also a good chance they could miss top 4 with no trophies.
It's up to the players and coach to show consistency and improvement so fans can believe that this time we've actually turned the corner. Till see consistency season after season there's no reason to believe the ETH era won't end like Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole

RedDevilRoshi

I didn’t see the game as was out enjoying the Edinburgh Fringe Festival instead. Only seen the highlights and from what I could take was we battered them after a sloppy start. The winning was going to come with the way we were peppering their goal.

Win could be huge psychologically and be the spring board we need to kick start this season, similar to last season when we won against Liverpool at OT.

greater wall

Why?

I agree with this. People getting on the backs of players who are actually performing and helping to win matches. Press and fans starting to turn against ETH. He finished 3rd ahead of schedule and now suddenly we are going to compete with city. Talk about being deluded.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If you cut out the first 4 minutes and everything after we took the lead, I thought we played quite well...or OK at least.

I thought forest were a lot better than Wolves, and there was no part of the Wolves game where we'd have been coning back to win from 2-0 down, so there is that.

They had some chances even when we were on top but I thought partly because they just used the opportunities very well. Mostly it was us boxing them in and causing problems. Our lack of physicality and stupid lunging tackles were a worry again though.

The game just emphasised the obvious i thought. Eriksen needs to be in midfield until we have a better alternative than Mount, Rashford needs to be on the left or running in behind, and outside of him our forwards need to either score/assist more than once a month or stop giving the ball away every fecking time it goes near them.

Also the panicking near the end was baffling. Why did we go into neutral the second we scored?

Bissaka was excellent. Lindelof did well when he came on. Fernandes was pretty good. Rashford created 3 goals with very good pieces of play despite mostly tackling himself all game. Aurier also played very well for us.

Not sure what the whining about the ref is based on. The red was a red and the penalty was slightly soft but mostly rubbish defending, and the ref then basically played on forever when they were pushing to equalise. Plus the main reason for 11 minutes being added on was due to Forest's main tactic being to have one of their players sit on the floor and force the game to stop every 5 minutes, in the hope it would mean it ended before they were losing. You can't spend a majority of the game deploying defeatist tactics then moan at anyone else when you get defeated.

cyril C

Evans has a much better left foot than Maguire does. Better right foot too.
This is what happens when there is international football during the summer, players coming back in dribs and drabs, half and half teams so nobody getting proper match fitness. Think a lot of teams are having issues and don't looks quite right.
The trouble is, we are the ONLY team without a single player that can run for 80 min. AWB is about the only name that I can quote is near-match fit. I can accept 2-3 players below 6, I can accept we failed to score, but at least put in a 6-7 all around for 90min+, which is what other teams are doing.

Take Rashford and Antony as example, on 3rd game, they are back to their form of existence. Not necessarily at peak form, but at least not losing the ball or mis-passing every 5 min.

mariko48

I saw that the team was calm and stuck to the plan, it's a well-deserved win. We are gaining momentum and I expect the performance will be up when Hojlund starts playing.

RedOrange

I disagree. Just because fans are negative doesn't mean they don't support the team. We've seen this before. A good season followed by a disastrous one. Fans can't be blamed if they don't have faith on these players. We don't know if this progress or not. This season they could finish 2nd and win FA/Carling cup but there's also a good chance they could miss top 4 with no trophies.
It's up to the players and coach to show consistency and improvement so fans can believe that this time we've actually turned the corner. Till see consistency season after season there's no reason to believe the ETH era won't end like Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole
All of you bedwetters should at least make some original, entertaining complaints instead of shouting the same boring, stupid shite back and forth into each other's assholes.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's hard to know what to feel about that performance. There were moments when our defence was an utter joke and how dangerous we made Forest look on the break - a team that has forgotten how to win away from the City Ground. But a comeback is a comeback and I can hardly recall the last time we turned round a 2-0 deficit to win...

It's clear we are nowhere near good enough to challenge for the title - our forwards haven't even looked like scoring in the three games so far. It really is time to get Marital out of the club - did he even have a single shot off target let alone on target? I wish ETH would try Garnacho down the centre until Ramus is ready...

There were some good(ish) performances: I thought after a poor start Antony had a good final 50 minutes, Rashford, as the whole world knows, is better on the left than at No.9, Bruno started to affect the game after a slow start and Eriksen was possibly my MoM, although I'm sure most people here went for Bruno.

I also think Scotty did a very good job when he came on and Lindelof was steady again too.

However, if we play like that at Emirates next week, we will get stuffed... we give the ball away far too easily and don't work hard enough to get it back when we do. Newcastle and Liverpool both looked better than us...

M16Red

Absolutely. Players from the smaller teams rarely get called out on it though and commentators usually praise their clever play for drawing fouls. They can now even foul each other and get awarded for it apparently.
That was ludacris, Rashford shouldn't have reacted like that - but I'd be pissed off as well.

I remember Gibbs-White waving a card as well, I'm sure that is a card under this seasons rules? He was already booked as well.

justsomebloke

It's hard to know what to feel about that performance. There were moments when our defence was an utter joke and how dangerous we made Forest look on the break - a team that has forgotten how to win away from the City Ground. But a comeback is a comeback and I can hardly recall the last time we turned round a 2-0 deficit to win...

It's clear we are nowhere near good enough to challenge for the title - our forwards haven't even looked like scoring in the three games so far. It really is time to get Marital out of the club - did he even have a single shot off target let alone on target? I wish ETH would try Garnacho down the centre until Ramus is ready...

There were some good(ish) performances: I thought after a poor start Antony had a good final 50 minutes, Rashford, as the whole world knows, is better on the left than at No.9, Bruno started to affect the game after a slow start and Eriksen was possibly my MoM, although I'm sure most people here went for Bruno.

I also think Scotty did a very good job when he came on and Lindelof was steady again too.

However, if we play like that at Emirates next week, we will get stuffed... we give the ball away far too easily and don't work hard enough to get it back when we do. Newcastle and Liverpool both looked better than us...
Nothing is clear after 3 rounds. It would be a surprise if we're good enough to challenge for the title, but I would have said that before the season even started, and more or less regardless of how we fared in the first three games.

Martial was disappointing yes, but perhaps we should be consider that he hasn't played a game in months. Obviously rusty. Given that Garnacho has been really struggling in his customary role down the left in his two starts, it's hard to see why playing him in a highly unfamiliar one down the middle would work any better (or even as good).

Also, I don't think either giveaways or regaining the ball were significant issues against Forest, unlike against Wolves.

SonOfFergie

Crazy match we were lucky to win. It was interesting to me watching Celta Vigo - Real Madrid and comparing it to our first matches. Real had very hard time playing against Celta. The intensity of challenges, application of players was much better than what I saw from United. Granted Celta has to compensate inferior quality with better application of players to stand a chance but nonetheless. What stood out was that Real was able to absorb pressure better. Play out of tight situations better. And what stood out for me as I don't watch Real regularly what beast of a player Vinicius has become. He has speed, power, control in bucketloads. Incredible what progress he has made in recent years. Bellingham also good, great technique, drive and will to win.
Back to United we are lacking in may areas to stand a chance. Striker position is a worry - Martial is not up to speed, fragile and will never be able to withstand intensity and number of matches in England anymore. Hojlund waiting to see his impact. We would still need one more veteran striker to help carry the load. Also midfield - Eriksen can play only versus deep lying teams as he doesn't have legs anymore. And problem is neither does Casemiro. Against good teams only one of them can play and then you need athletic CM next to one of those and Bruno. In defense Varane is a worry as his is injury prone and losing pace. Lindelof is able deputy, still need one more.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Travelling in London when the game was on so only able to check the score while in a queue in Hamleys.

Its taken me this long to finish this post so Ive nothing more insightful than that :lol:

RuudTom83

Why?

Love It! 100%

Crimson King

Why?

Couldn't have put it better myself.

bonsaiboy

I’m starting to agree that something went wrong during pre-season. We were in a mental fog against Wolves, then again against Spurs and yet again against Forest.

After having conceded two goals in the first four minutes we did wake up and ground out the win, but it’s pretty embarrassing to scrape wins over Wolves and Forest…two clubs we all expect to be in a relegation battle in May.

What went wrong in pre-season I can’t possibly know but the squad just isn’t at the races yet.
I wouldn't say this was scraping a win. We dominated for the majority of the match and scored 3 goals. If we hadn't conceded the two - freak - early goals we'd have been saying it was a comfortable win.

What *is* clear to me is that we have a problem starting and finishing matches. It takes us a while to get going, and as soon as we're a goal up we seem to forget how to play. That's a mentality problem and one that ten Hag needs to address.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I see Forest have now put in an actual complaint to PGMOL about the decisions. Effectively accusing the officials of match fixing.

Surely the FA and Premier league need to act to stop this bullshit now? Referees are being pressured by the media and other clubs into not giving any decisions which benefit United. No other club is subjected to this level of craziness.

In their article on it, the BBC even refer to the recent Mike Dean comments as if this basically proves the decisions on Saturday at OT must have been dodgy. The false logic is mind blowing

Thrillho

I see Forest have now put in an actual complaint to PGMOL about the decisions. Effectively accusing the officials of match fixing.

Surely the FA and Premier league need to act to stop this bullshit now? Referees are being pressured by the media and other clubs into not giving any decisions which benefit United. No other club is subjected to this level of craziness.

In their article on it, the BBC even refer to the recent Mike Dean comments as if this basically proves the decisions on Saturday at OT must have been dodgy. The false logic is mind blowing
I agree, the decisions weren’t even that controversial and yet here they are jumping on the bandwagon that somehow Man United are getting favourable decisions more than others. The amount of attention the media is giving this is getting out of hand, we need the club (whoever it is - players, manager, officials) to come out and start challenging the rhetoric. Before long it will really start costing us. The game was lost regardless but we saw it at play in the non-pen decision at Spurs. Hopefully PGMOL will tell Forest to stick their complaint where the sun don’t shine. They need to make clear they won’t just buckle to any old issue otherwise it’ll be open season and lack of respect for refs will get even worse.

oreon

All of you bedwetters should at least make some original, entertaining complaints instead of shouting the same boring, stupid shite back and forth into each other's assholes.
Its same complaints because UTD have been repeating same mistakes and that's why there's no progress. If you got no rebuttal or something to stay then don't quote instead of posting dumbass comments

justsomebloke

Making a formal complaint hardly amounts to an accusation of match fixing - just that the decisions were wrong. Which does happen, see f.e. the recent overturning of Macallister's red card.

But here they have a nothing case, in my view. The red card maybe can at least be debated, but no way does that get overturned. The penalty is crystal clear and beyond reasonable debate.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 70% of 264 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 257 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Nottingham Forest win
  • Draw