PL L FA Premier League

Nottingham Forest 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 December 2023

oz insomniac

Just watched the replay
On what planet do you replace a mobile , hard working DM with of all people the most ineffective and position less player at the club, McTominlay. ETH should not be allowed on theteam bus home, and have company with McTom.
Anyone that has played any sport is aware of the one player that never misses a training session, nods at everything the coach says and helps clear up after training, somehow they get game time when better players miss out. How the friggin hell can that happen at a club like Man Utd.
Fred at least ran around and was enthusiastic, not sure what McTom offers.
Well I’m 6’3” and 96 Kg and available, never played above Div 1 Sunday league, but I did look the part. Now I’m over 70 , probably almost as mobile as a certain player, just don’t understand what he offers to get selected time and again.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I know that when the team stinks up a game, that gets magnified into twice the kneejerk idiocy in here, but judging from the player ratings this is even worse than usual.

Onana 4.3 - really? What exactly did he do wrong this game? I can't think of anything.

Bruno 3.8, but Garnacho 5.5? Are there really so many people here with their heads so far up their own asses they managed to see a better performance from Garnacho than Bruno tonight? Great interception and sublime pass to Rashford, but other than that he had a pretty much 100% fiasco rate with everything he tried. I don't think he succeeded with a single take-on, or had as much as one good pass, apart from the goal. While Bruno put up pretty much everything that was put up by our attackers, goal aside.

Varane 4.4? - Again, what exactly did he do wrong today? Okay, there was that weird clearance, but other than that he was consistently in the right place at the right time, cut off passes, moved the ball well, had quite a few really good passes actually. That was a good game.
Players ratings would often be generally low when we loss to poor opponents with poor display of performance.

But the ratings of the above are not really much far off to be fair:

Onana - conceded 2 goals from Forest only 2 attempts in the game

Bruno - Giving the ball every 90 sec in avg with very poor possession play, the loss was on him too with his stupid dummy which gifted Forest's counter.

Varane - first goal was partly on him who failed to position himself for offside trap setup

As for Garnacho, great effort in assist to our goal, and always keep trying in the game. Hence he is my only choice for MOTM. But he also ends many of our attack play with poor decision too, and doesn't deserve high rating to be honest.

GledTheRed

We exist for the amusement of others. Nothing more.

How many times have we been made to endure opposition fans taking the piss?
Happens every other week it seems. Absolute banter club, opposition setting up the cameras in the dressing room pre lock off.

Savlehest

We concede so many goals from cutbacks. I don’t get why are we the only team in PL who can’t defend the middle of the goal? Is it really the DMs or the defenders who always ending up standing on a straight line.

I don’t know what to say anymore. We really haven’t had a single good full game this season. We have been lucky with minimum half of our points.

Tingen

Eriksen and Bruno absolutely atrocious today. Eriksens miss at the end summed it up.

Ref was a disgrace, not that it affected our ability to create chances, but I still don't understand how turner's is not a backpass to himself, how Yates or Danilo didn't get booked and a littany of other errors.
It was the correct decision though

“An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
• touches the ball with the hand/arm after releasing it and before it has touched another player
• touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
• it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
• receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate”

[Page 102 - Laws of the Game 23/24 - IFAB]

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
It was awful. I always try to defend the team - they are playing at a level that none of us here can imagine or ever played so who are we to criticise? But when they play like that, I'm stumped

PogBruno

When we were 2-1 down, we wasted 2 mins after 85 mins arguing about who and why we got the yellow cards, that shows the state of our players

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It was the correct decision though

“An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
• touches the ball with the hand/arm after releasing it and before it has touched another player
• touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
• it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
• receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate”

Thanks for that, I stand corrected.

Andersons Dietician

We concede so many goals from cutbacks. I don’t get why are we the only team in PL who can’t defend the middle of the goal? Is it really the DMs or the defenders who always ending up standing on a straight line.

I don’t know what to say anymore. We really haven’t had a single good full game this season. We have been lucky with minimum half of our points.
McT makes the wrong choice but it’s hard to say it’s a mistake as you’re expected to double up people.

eriksen and Bruno should have been getting back in to cover that space, however neither Really has the athleticsim to get back in on a break like that.

It’s just something that happens too much to us due to our lack of quality in midfield.

Zed 101

Apart from Garnacho who was trying the rest of the team was a shambles, there is more quality there than that some time the buck has to stop at ETH's door

redmanx

If Mainoo was tired, it would have been better to bring on Hannibal and ask him to sit in front of the back 4. Ultimately we were toothless again in attack though.
Antony should have been replaced at half time, if not sooner, but that can be said for just about all of them with the exception of Evans and Mainoo who were the only ones who could hold their heads up. Garnacho tried and was our most likely player to score but all too often he fails to look up and plays a bad pass.

Smithy89

He subbed on Mctominay and just surrendered the midfield, Mcotminay, and Bruno need binning with Phil Mitchell.

Kept and clean sheet at Anfield with Mainno and Amrabat and I don't think we've seen it since.

Salford_Red83

Remember when he said he didn't play Varane 'cos he couldn't play at LCB and he needed a left footer there? Then Varane played there and he was perfectly fine?

Yeah, this is the same kind of nonsense excuse.

Take off 18 year old Mainoo and leave on 31 year old Eriksen who we all know can't complete 2 full 90 minutes.

Tingen

Thanks for that, I stand corrected.
I only know it, because it was a question in a Christmas quiz we had at our local referee community (which I originally got wrong, I might add).

We are all amateurs that mostly referee young players / lowest tier of seniors, so it’s not like I am really any more of an expert than the general public ^^

Betson

It was a fitting way to end the year ,this is by far the worst Utd team in the premier league era.

Love the club and always will but I hate everything about the Club right now , if that makes sense.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault

Good grief. Someone needs to remind refs that bit's apparently still applicable.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I only know it, because it was a question in a Christmas quiz we had at our local referee community (which I originally got wrong, I might add).

We are all amateurs that mostly referee young players / lowest tier of seniors, so it’s not like I am really any more of an expert than the general public ^^
:lol: could have convinced us all otherwise!

Eagle_eye

Hi persistence with Antony is going to be one of his downfalls I believe.. It's as if he doesn't want to admit that this signing has been a flop, and wants to keep playing him and hope that one day he comes good, so to save face.

ColvaleGoa

Hi persistence with Antony is going to be one of his downfalls I believe.. It's as if he doesn't want to admit that this signing has been a flop, and wants to keep playing him and hope that one day he comes good, so to save face.

Also Scott.

But I was really looking forward to see if he would start with Garnacho on the right. But Hoijlund being out yesterday didn't leave us with any options.

I think Amad and Garnacho will be good options for future. Antony can fidget wheel to being a right back in Saudi.

Cantonagotmehere

What tripe. Only positive is the Ineos team seeing how utterly horrible we are and drastic things need to happen.

I try not to over react about ETH because of our squad and injuries, but I am moving towards the out camp more and m ore with his lineup and sub decisions that have been said many times in this thread.

freddie the red

I couldn't care less about CFC. We have our own problems to deal with.
But you are right, in terms of transfer fees and wages, we are the worst in the EPL. We have teams whose players get paid a fraction of what we pay our players and they beat us.
I couldn't care less about CFC either but was getting my retaliation in first in case anybody suggested they are worse than us on a pound for pound basis!

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Nottingham Forest win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Nottingham Forest 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Nottingham Forest 0:2 Man Utd