CL L Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Manchester United 0:2 Paris St Germain

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 February 2019

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I think we are being a bit harsh on Ole. Maybe he did miss a bit in his substitutions this match, but he is somewhat limited by his personnel. If Kimpembe gets sent off in the first half, which he surely deserved (how is the foul on Shaw not even whistled, much less a second yellow), we are all talking about how brilliant his game plan was. Plan A was the right plan, and it was working IMHO, but it’s hard when two of your four key attackers get injured.

Man-marking rarely happens at this level. I think the staff was understandably surprised. Pushing Pogba out to the wing in a midfield 4 would have forced Tuchel to either push Marquinhos out to mark Pogba, or pull Alves up to mark him leaving space in behind.

I disagree that Shaw was a problem, or that one game defines our left side attack. Martial was poor, missing Lingard’s pass that was slightly behind him, but I’m not going to let that change my opinion of his overall ability.

I believe that even Sir Alex Ferguson, the greatest manager ever, made a tactical mistake on occasion. Let’s not condemn OGS for a loss that, frankly, we all thought was the most likely outcome when we saw the draw. Throw in a bribed referee and it was never going to happen.
We used Park to man mark Barca, right? It is not really something that should surprise our staff imo. It's been a tried and tested tactic and would work well with a player like Pogba. After this match, I'd not be surprised if other teams resorted to this too.

I'm not harsh on Ole. After Mou, he's something that rekindled my excitement in watching United play. But at same time, we should accept that both in player quality and tactically we were behind PSG. No harm in accepting that, learning from it and moving on rather than bucking down into "we did the best and no improvement was possible" way of thinking.

Rozski

Not even close. When Pogba saw his second yellow the tie was practically over, it didn't change much. And even though Alves is a massive cnut, the second yellow was justified. With Nani on the other hand we were cruising to the next round until the sending off, which wasn't even a foul, let alone a straight red.
Totally agree with this and the Nani red still really steams me up. It also seemed to signify the end of him at Old Trafford which makes it extra sad in hindsight.

Giggsyking

We used Park to man mark Barca, right? It is not really something that should surprise our staff imo. It's been a tried and tested tactic and would work well with a player like Pogba. After this match, I'd not be surprised if other teams resorted to this too.

I'm not harsh on Ole. After Mou, he's something that rekindled my excitement in watching United play. But at same time, we should accept that both in player quality and tactically we were behind PSG. No harm in accepting that, learning from it and moving on rather than bucking down into "we did the best and no improvement was possible" way of thinking.
If other teams resort to this tactic (marking Pogba) the manager can find other solutions to fix it, Ole didnt do that yesterday but he will think of a tactical solution for sure.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Just one question. Why didn't the ref send Kimpembe off? It would have been a completely different game.
In France, as a PSG player, he would have been certainly sent off but French referees are of uneven quality.

French referees tend to follow the following rationale:
- 'If a player is severly injured following a harsh challenge, then the wrongdoer is sent off. Otherwise, a yellow card is shown'

Mikeowen78

Piss poor from the team and the ref
We didn't look particularly interested from the start. I hate to blame refs and I am not saying he cost us the match but wasn't he terrible and his linesmen. We got a glimpse of what we need to try and get up to. At times it got a little embarrassing the way they were knocking the ball about. For about a ten min period I thought we were gonna have 5 or 6 stuffed past us. In the end going there in a couple weeks only 2 down gives us the slightest hope. No idea why we are giving Young a new contract. He showed last night that he is so far behind the quality we need it was quite the eye opener.

Steerpike

Despite some odd refereeing decisions, I don't think we can complain about the result. PSG were the better team and looked a level above us.

The first half was fairly even, albeit in a poor game, but the loss of both Lingard and Martial altered the balance of our team and the match. We'd struggled to create anything in the first half, but looked completely toothless in the second. I think PSG also sensed that we were much weaker following the changes, and they took their opportunity.

Pogba was effectively marked out of the game, a tactic we may well see other teams employ, so there's a challenge to find a way of maintaining the creativity when the main man is less able to contribute. Pogba himself also needs to work out better strategies for dealing with being man marked.

The defeat itself was of course disappointing, but what may be more damaging is the absence of some key players from the big games coming up. I don't think we have any like for like replacements for Lingard and Martial, so that is going to affect how we play - Ole has now got to find a plan B. On the evidence of last night, that plan will not be a front three of Mata, Rashford and Sanchez.

Walters_19_MuFc

If you really, genuinely draw that conclusion from the game then I am extremely surprised.

They absorbed all the fervour and pressing in the first 20mins, and then ran the game. It was a superb, away-from-home-in-Europe performance.

This is a reality check, a damn good one in my opinion, because as supporters, it will make some of us reassess how we view our squad... Which is very good, with a couple of truly, outstanding players... but simply not strong enough, or good enough yet to compete at that level.

That was a team missing Rabiot, Cavani and Neymar.

Some of us need to get real.
Having slept, I still share the same opinion. PSG did nothing of note before the goal. The two opportunities they had were offside.

First goals are massive, and I maintain that had we been the team to score first, we'd have seen a complete different game.

reddevil702

The fact that everyone is so gutted with this result really shows how far Ole has brought United. This result was a foregone conclusion 2 months ago and most really expected us to win this match going into it. It was close for about an hour or so and after the first goal we didn't have a choice but to try and get the equalizer which was always going to leave us open for the counter. Really need to get Fred going as he will likely be replacing Pogba.

nainaisson

And if we keep messing up our transfers like we have been doing in recent times, it's going to take a hell of a lot more steps to get anywhere.
We keep giving players who are either past it or will never be good enough new contracts, because the club doesn't want to pay the increasingly ridiculous transfer fees for replacements. State-owned clubs like PSG and City are the primary reason the transfer fees are so high. As long as United remains a private corporation primarily concerned with keeping financially afloat, the gulf in quality between its squad and the squads of state-owned clubs will continue to increase until challenging for the biggest trophies becomes totally unrealistic.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One of the things that was clear from the start, was that they played with a 5 man midfield which we never coped with. Martial and Lingard are not the CM types who can cope with that. It’s dimething we need to address in Europe

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The fact that everyone is so gutted with this result really shows how far Ole has brought United. This result was a foregone conclusion 2 months ago and most really expected us to win this match going into it. It was close for about an hour or so and after the first goal we didn't have a choice but to try and get the equalizer which was always going to leave us open for the counter. Really need to get Fred going as he will likely be replacing Pogba.
Exactly

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
not as good as we think we are, better than we believe we are. i refuse to rubbish players after 6 games but i believe that Sanchez is dreadful, Mata too slow (and he is my favourite player) , Young not good enough. Its aslways the same that the bloke who should have been sent off then scores. the ref wasnt good enough but we cannot blame him.

I don't think we should be too downcast after last night. We're improving, but PSG demonstrated how far we still have to go, if we're to compete with the very best again. Second half they went up a notch and outclassed us, even without Neymar and Cavani. We should look at it as a learning experience: that's where United need to be.

Not sour grapes, but the ref was abysmal. The guy who scored the first goal should have already been sent off, and the decisions went against us all night. Not that the ref affected the result, as PSG were a class above us.

There is no pressure for the second leg now. Let's have a real go in Paris and see if we can test them. I'm sure Ole has identified where we need strengthening, in order to compete against the best, and last night would have given him more evidence.

reddevil702

Having slept, I still share the same opinion. PSG did nothing of note before the goal. The two opportunities they had were offside.

First goals are massive, and I maintain that had we been the team to score first, we'd have seen a complete different game.
Agree with you. First goal has and injuries really changed the dynamic of the game.

slayerfer

In the first half we played with speed, we tried to make quick transitions, the problem was the lack of precision in the final third. Once we had a counterattack in which Rashford had the ball over the right wing and he missed a simple pass. Sometimes he wastes easy occasions to score; other times he misses an easy pass. This kid keeps making bad decisions, we're going to have to be very patient with him.

Also in the first half we let PSG come close too close to our area and all our midfielders and defenders were standing and watching without pressing while the PSG moved the ball from one side to the other. That was very dangerous and in the second time PSG punished us for leaving them unmarked. I know they scored from a corner, but it's the same issue. To be honest with all of you guys, I have seen United since 1998 and for me it has always been a team that gives too much freedom to rival players. That is a part of our DNA that I don't like too much.

Pogba every now and then makes an ugly tackle. He is a big boy already, I wonder if he will ever stop doing these things. Because one day it was going to harm us in an important match and that happened yesterday. Scholes was equal to him in that respect. Player with class that every so often loses his head and makes hard and unnecessary fauls.

Is this over? I don't know. It depends on whether we can score goals, but first we must create scoring opportunities and stop ruining counterattacks. It's up to you Martial, Rashford and Lingard.

dave1956

We didn't look particularly interested from the start. I hate to blame refs and I am not saying he cost us the match but wasn't he terrible and his linesmen. We got a glimpse of what we need to try and get up to. At times it got a little embarrassing the way they were knocking the ball about. For about a ten min period I thought we were gonna have 5 or 6 stuffed past us. In the end going there in a couple weeks only 2 down gives us the slightest hope. No idea why we are giving Young a new contract. He showed last night that he is so far behind the quality we need it was quite the eye opener.
Fair summing up I think

SpaceAttacker

Second Leg in Paris:

Early pressure on our goal from PSG, and Dave is forced into a couple of routine saves.

From some safety first defending from PSG, we get our first corner. Ashley Young swings it in, keeper comes but only gets a hand and Chris Smalling bundles it in at the far post. The equation has changed. One more goal and the game goes to extra time.

The PSG midfield starts making some mistakes. Nothing major, just some passes straight into touch, few miscontrolled passes. Nothing major, but a foreshadowing for events to come. Eventually their quality on the ball begins to tell and they start dominating the game, pinning us back in our own half.

Inevitably, at around 43 minutes, Dani Alves' cross is turned into the back of the net by Kimpembe. (Yes, again. It goes on to become part of the Weird feelings of football thread)

Back to square one.

A quiet opening segues into a good passage of play of play for United. Lukaku isolates Bernat on the right and drives past him to square the ball to Mata on the edge of the box. Mata turns inside to shoot but instead slides a ball through to Lukaku whose miss hit cross wriggles through Buffon's arms at the near post.

One more goal. The crowd is nervous, but PSG are asserting themselves on the pitch, looking for the kill. United still committing bodies forward in numbers but without much luck.

Ball breaks at the edge of the PSG penalty area and a couple of quick passes set Mbappe in a race against Smalling who tries to take him out. Mbappe skips over the challenge and races towards De Gea. Perhaps because of the nervousness of the crowd, he loses his composure and shoots at de Gea instead of passing to Di Maria.

De Gea makes a good save low to his right but the ball bounces to Di Maria who tries to place it. A despairing dive by Lindelof fails to reach the ball but the curling trajectory only hits the outside of the post and bounces out to be cleared by Shaw with his right.

Many posters are wishing Fellaini was still here instead of assembling semiconductors in China, but keep their thoughts to themselves, mentally earmarking the Fellaini thread for the post-game. We are launching balls into their box, but their defenders clear everything.

Lukaku is at the heart of everything. His complete failure as a target man is being revealed in the cruelest possible way. He tries to control a long ball but it ricochets off the inside of his foot and rolls between the two defenders. And running onto it is MATA!

Buffon comes out and makes himself big but Mata slots it past his fingertips to the back of the net.

A few nervy minutes later, it is over. United are through on away goals.

The remaining teams hold a quick meeting and knowing that nothing will ever top this, the Champions League is awarded to United at a special ceremony at Old Trafford where Sir Alex also announces the line of Solskjaer as managers for life.

The rapture occurs and everyone goes to heaven except Liverpool fans, players and sponsors (past and present), with special dispensation for Michael Owen and Busby.

TL;DR

If we can get to 1:1 at 60 minutes, we have a shot.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The players in the squad are not good enough to compete with PSG, their squad is light years ahead of ours. Apart from the attacking 4 which started yesterday the rest of the players are a level below those who started for PSG. What you saw yesterday was the result of the lack of direction at the club ever since Fergie retired.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Disappointed with Ole. Jose would have gotten us a 1-0 win.

Gasolin

PSG was man-marking Pogba with Marquinhos. Pogba was not an option, and getting fouled constantly. PSG was terrified of Rashford and Pogba. Notice they had both Thiago Silva and Kimpembe near Rashford, tight, and would foul before allowing him to turn to counter.

The antidote to that was to push Martial and Lingard wide and break with them. The injuries to both really killed our chances to win.

Frankly, I thought we played them even in the first half until Martial and Lingard got hurt. You could argue we had the better chances. The media is making it seem like Ole got schooled tactically, but I disagree. He just didn’t have options on the bench to continue to execute his game plan. Mata cannot play like Lingard and Sanchez is a shell of his former self. Maybe bring Lukaku on instead of Mata, and revert to a 4-4-2 with Rashford up top with Lukaku. If Marquinhos is going to man mark Pogba, push him out to the left?

Tough loss. Awful refereeing. Qatar bribed their way into hosting the World Cup. What’s one measly referee?
True that part. I didn't see any obvious answers but I thought maybe Rashford should have waited for the ball with the defender behind and not think, just try to pass the ball side ways no matter what. And we would have both Martial and one midfielder (Pogba? Herrera?) or even Lingard to bomb forward hoping for the ball to be on his way. Then whoever gets the ball goes forward, the rest of the team moves up in the box and wait.

Like you, first half, I felt ok. But as soon as Lingard got the ball around the 40th minute and he gave it to Martial but the latter was unable to pass the full back, it was over. That's the kind of situation where we have to score, because we had 3 other players bombing forward, it was working, it was going to work.

Zed 101

If, when Ole had taken the reins somebody had offered the run we have had, throw in a loss to Liverpool in a couple of weeks time, and would have snapped their hand off!

The team/squad is not at the level that Liverpool, City, Spurs and most of the top European clubs are, that didn't change over night just because a new manager came in, realistically before the start of that match player for player how many Utd players would get into that PSG first 11 depleted as it was... Maybe De Gea and..... Pogba???

All that the result has highlighted is that we need to improve several positions in teh first 11 and on the bench, and whilst Ole was very complimentary to Sanchez and Mata, throw Lukaku in the mix, that bench left very little in the way of options, nothing different that had been on show, and who will replace Pogba in the 2nd leg? Mctominey? really? I like the lad but he is barely good enough to warm the bench at Utd let alone be a realistic stand in for Pogba.

Whoever is here as next manager I hope they are given the funds and support to invest in the squad, even at the cost of ditching a few expensive hangovers.

rotherham_red

First half, particularly the first 20 mins showed that our first choice belonged at that level. We pressed and harried them and were it not for a couple of poor decisions on the final ball, we might well have had something to show for it.

Then the injuries struck and we just never recovered. Ole made a mistake on the Mata sub, but after what he's done in the last 11 games, I'll put it down to experience. After all, this was his first CL game, and that too in a knockout situation - talk about a baptism of fire...

What the game showed to me was that, even with the holes we have at CB, full backs, RW and CM, we still have enough talent, endeavour, skill and application to give anyone a good game. Outside of that first XI however, we have too many squad players who simply aren't at the required level and need to be moved on, ASAP. This result should be the learning experience that this team needs to get to the next level and that is the big question which will be answered in the next few games - will it be this team's Milan away in 2007, or Chelsea away in 2005, where we learned the lessons that needed to be learned and get to the summit the next season, or will it cause us to go in to a tailspin, a la Wigan away in 2012? I'm willing to bank it being the former with Ole at the helm...

#CR7

Maybe too much of a gamble but I think that Dalot would've been a good substitution for our RW yesterday. It would've allowed Young to focus on his defensive responsibilities whilst maintaining an outlet on the right. Obviously in hindsight it's easy to say but I think we should've adopted a more pragmatic approach in the second half and grinded out a result.

ABC of Football

This game showed us where we need to be. I thought we matched them and were even the better team in the first half. But once we got our injuries they were different class to us.

Martial, Lingard and Rashford showed a little too much naivety. Which is natural for young players. They’ve been great at taking chances, but I felt like they looked at the likes of Thiago Silva and kept things too simple in the first half which is why we never got beyond them.

Psg’s Class showed over all though. The biggest difference between them and every other team we’ve played. Our pressing has been massively impressive in the past two months. And it forces defenders to rush the play and we’ve been able to turn over possession very quickly. But no matter how hard we pressed the psg defence, they were massively impressive in keeping there nerve and playing out from the back and keeping possession more often then not. Because we couldn’t rush the psg players, we didn’t win the ball as high up the pitch as we usually do. And once Lingard and martial were subbed we never won the ball back from them full stop!

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
What is now important that we go through in the FA-Cup and few positive results in the league too before we go to Paris.

We have currently just a 5% chance......but if we can get a early goal in the 2nd leg then who knows what can happen.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
How is pogba hugely overrated? The guy had two to three players on him all the time with no one taking advantage of the spaces left behind, the only thing overrated was our ability as a team, from the wingers to the fullbacks all absolutely terrible.
as ever, he held on to the ball too long then fell over and expected a free kick which was never coming. of course others had bad games too but Pogba, we are told, is world class. maybe compare him with some of PSG's world classers!

Owen06

as ever, he held on to the ball too long then fell over and expected a free kick which was never coming. of course others had bad games too but Pogba, we are told, is world class. maybe compare him with some of PSG's world classers!
Which WC players does psg have?

Verrati is not wc, he's a very good player,pogba has played in a far higher level than him.it was a good tactics from their coach, we were tactically outclassed, just because they kept possession after scoring from a setpiece does not mean that they have WC players all over.
they figured our game out and our coaches had no response, the kudos goes to their coach for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekeke

Matic worked hard but was either too far up the pitch or simply too immobile to be a factor when PSG broke on us with pace. He was often in front of the ball making his way back rather than being an active obstruction to PSG's breaks. He also didnt mark Kimpembe, lost him leading to the opening goal.

Similarly Lindelof and Bailly couldnt live with MBappe's rapid pace and runs in behind with Di Maria and others playing him in. It could easily have been more than 2 goals with more clinical finishing. Di Maria had 3 key passes and 2 assists alone.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We shouldn't bother with this CL. Just be realistic.

Get top 4 or higher, and winning a cup; that still consider a successful season.

Giggs86

If there is one team out of the big (ish) European teams to bottle a lead like that in a CL knockout tie, it is PSG. While extremely unlikely, there is still hope.

nainaisson

Disappointed with Ole. Jose would have gotten us a 1-0 win.
A 0-0 draw, maybe, but scoring a single goal at home in the Champions League against any team but Young Boys seems highly unlikely. Still, I prefer the 0-0 draw over conceding two away goals.

Joseunited

Second Leg in Paris:

Early pressure on our goal from PSG, and Dave is forced into a couple of routine saves.

From some safety first defending from PSG, we get our first corner. Ashley Young swings it in, keeper comes but only gets a hand and Chris Smalling bundles it in at the far post. The equation has changed. One more goal and the game goes to extra time.

The PSG midfield starts making some mistakes. Nothing major, just some passes straight into touch, few miscontrolled passes. Nothing major, but a foreshadowing for events to come. Eventually their quality on the ball begins to tell and they start dominating the game, pinning us back in our own half.

Inevitably, at around 43 minutes, Dani Alves' cross is turned into the back of the net by Kimpembe. (Yes, again. It goes on to become part of the Weird feelings of football thread)

Back to square one.

A quiet opening segues into a good passage of play of play for United. Lukaku isolates Bernat on the right and drives past him to square the ball to Mata on the edge of the box. Mata turns inside to shoot but instead slides a ball through to Lukaku whose miss hit cross wriggles through Buffon's arms at the near post.

One more goal. The crowd is nervous, but PSG are asserting themselves on the pitch, looking for the kill. United still committing bodies forward in numbers but without much luck.

Ball breaks at the edge of the PSG penalty area and a couple of quick passes set Mbappe in a race against Smalling who tries to take him out. Mbappe skips over the challenge and races towards De Gea. Perhaps because of the nervousness of the crowd, he loses his composure and shoots at de Gea instead of passing to Di Maria.

De Gea makes a good save low to his right but the ball bounces to Di Maria who tries to place it. A despairing dive by Lindelof fails to reach the ball but the curling trajectory only hits the outside of the post and bounces out to be cleared by Shaw with his right.

Many posters are wishing Fellaini was still here instead of assembling semiconductors in China, but keep their thoughts to themselves, mentally earmarking the Fellaini thread for the post-game. We are launching balls into their box, but their defenders clear everything.

Lukaku is at the heart of everything. His complete failure as a target man is being revealed in the cruelest possible way. He tries to control a long ball but it ricochets off the inside of his foot and rolls between the two defenders. And running onto it is MATA!

Buffon comes out and makes himself big but Mata slots it past his fingertips to the back of the net.

The remaining teams hold a quick meeting and knowing that nothing will ever top this, the Champions League is awarded to United at a special ceremony at Old Trafford where Sir Alex also announces the line of Solskjaer as managers for life.

The rapture occurs and everyone goes to heaven except Liverpool fans, players and sponsors (past and present), with special dispensation for Michael Owen and Busby.

TL;DR

This is just weird.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Second Leg in Paris:

Back to square one.

TL;DR

Not bad not bad :D

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 405 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 PSG