CL W Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Paris St Germain 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 March 2019

cyril C

It was PSG lost the game rather than we won it, they made so many mistakes while we only made 1. PSG was in cruise control before and after the equaliser and it was only a matter of time. By luck we caught them another mistake and by luck Bailly was taken off, our shape was much better. Ole certainly did his homework and asked the team to press high and intense hence forcing so many errors, credit due; but error on Bailly which was luckily rectified soonest. I thought PSG also made another error on sub by putting out 2 DMF when they were still good on possession, just allowed the game to drift to our direction and we were in control after 70th min. Even if we didn't get the PK I am sure most fans would be proud of our achievement, we played our game to our best ability, the opposition crumble under pressure.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I just watched the match and did not know the result. WOW! After I saw the replay I thought it was a penalty as the player was watching the ball get struck.

Thank you OSG!

ship50

Thank you Ole! Thank you United! Ignored the Doc. Ignored the medicines (they make me sleepy). Stayed up till late to watch this miracle. Now I'll sleep.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Okay I wasn't dreaming? That actually happened?

James_42

Amazing game, still buzzing and can't sleep.

Haven't felt anything like that since Moscow.

Get In Scholesy

Just watched the game.

Fantastic result, it was our regimented shape that got us to the end of the tie. We had troubles down the right side early, but that was quickly identified and we executed the game plan well. Credit to Ole.

Such an amazing feeling, it was a penalty 100% given the VAR circumstances. It is why it was brought it. Right call at the end.

Great character by Rashford to take the penalty and place it well.

fecking buzzing still.

Ps. Give Old the job, got nothing to lose.

ManRed

The best thing about the game was with 10 mins to go I wasn't feeling sad or depressed of going out. Just the sheer character of the squad made me proud that we were in it against all odds.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Yea the Bailly thing means OGS can err and fix it midstream. Not Bailly’s fault- just being played out of position.
Totally agree. I kept watching to see if Bailly was really playing as FB and I was a bit shocked. Then when the first goal was scored.... Was Bailly really hurt?

shahzy

another salty Brazilian. oh man this is boiling so much piss right now.
Have brazillians decided that PSG is a brazillian club all of a sudden? Seemingly all coming out all of a sudden. What a joke :lol:

Shimo

Anyone who says we got lucky can sod off. We got dicked in the first leg and got the right call for a change. Seen ex-players say the penalty was harsh but, I think anyone looking at it through the lens of the current rules, it was a clear pen. Saw Peter Walton argue with Owen H, Owen and Rio exactly that, to him it was a clear as day penalty. Honestly from the first moments of the game when he called Fred for a foul on that cry baby weasel Di Maria, thought back to the last game thought we were in trouble again with the ref. PSG player tries to head and goes into Rashford instead who then down clutching his head and forgetting the no foul called, ref didn't even stop it for a head injury as Rashford lay on the ground.

He made the absolute right call on the penalty till they change the rules but, what the heck was with playing almost 3 extra minutes? Penalty goes in at 94:30 and was already on the pitch prior to that for a minute plus - doesn't call the game till 99th minute.

What a performance. Now just need to recover for another pivotal game on the weekend.

BootsyCollins

First, under the match, i was so nervous i drank too much vine.
Then, after the match i was so happy, i drank too much vine.
Now i am waking up to work and my head is banging, but still so happy and emotional. So fecking proud of everyone!

SqueakyWeasel

Anyone who says we got lucky can sod off. We got dicked in the first leg and got the right call for a change. Seen ex-players say the penalty was harsh but, I think anyone looking at it through the lens of the current rules, it was a clear pen. Saw Peter Walton argue with Owen H, Owen and Rio exactly that, to him it was a clear as day penalty. Honestly from the first moments of the game when he called Fred for a foul on that cry baby weasel Di Maria, thought back to the last game thought we were in trouble again with the ref. PSG player tries to head and goes into Rashford instead who then down clutching his head and forgetting the no foul called, ref didn't even stop it for a head injury as Rashford lay on the ground.

He made the absolute right call on the penalty till they change the rules but, what the heck was with playing almost 3 extra minutes? Penalty goes in at 94:30 and was already on the pitch prior to that for a minute plus - doesn't call the game till 99th minute.

What a performance. Now just need to recover for another pivotal game on the weekend.
The first real test Volume 3 chapter 6
:D

dmode

Now I can officially say that we are back to our normal self... feels so good :devil:

And ohhhh... the scousers are have already shitted their pants.

My little finger tells me that we have a great shout to win the CL.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Ole's pre and post game comments make Mourinho's 'football heritage' comment feel even more disgusting.

Siorac

Cheers man. Really pleased you guys got the all clear. I'm struggling as my Mrs was 25 and completely healthy, and seeing something like that happen is hard man. I bet two years of what you've been through must have been agony. Anyway, probably not a good idea to bring down the mood in here too much. What a great night for all of us. Playing youth, and playing without fear, last minute winner.... don't think that performance could be any more United
As @Mockney said, keep talking if you feel like it helps. Don't you worry about our mood - enjoy the win and share what you feel like sharing.

Cockney Phil

The guys played a hard and disciplined game of footy and the number of changes in moves an d tactics was mesmerising. Hats off to them, that was maturity and bravery and gutsy. Fred the mystery man stepped up and ran his socks off. Rom the enigma, scored 2 and even controlled the ball around the half way line. The iceman was put in the shade by Chris Smalling. Dalot stepped up when. Silly was struggling. Dave punched the ball in a panic moment but made a fantastic save to feet covered by Smalling. The young guys especially McT (his best game by far) were all in it to win it. Then Rashford stepped up like Eric or Ronnie before him and was even colder! Magnificent work by Ole and the team, a great night of football.

Jeffthered

A truly wonderful and memorable night. I did not expect to win, Just wanted us to be organised and give a good account of ourselves. I would have been as proud even if we did not get a result, because we were so committed. It's great to see how things have changed.
I only watched last 20min, and I understand we were a little dis-organised at times.

But PSG also seem to bottle it at this stage.

However, what pleased me was the young players coming in and experiencing that. McTom. Cheong. Greenwood. Garner debut the other week. Rashford scoring that pen said it all. That's what I love about this amazing, amazing football club. That's priceless. It gives all the players, Ole and his staff, and us fans (who have been sensational all season by the way..) great energy. The squad really has stepped up. Lukaku is now, being that talisman... in his own way. I'm v pleased for him, because he has shown character and dignity. That's also Man Utd.

From what I saw, Fred, finally began to show bit of his talent. He really made a difference in the parts of the game I saw.

A wonderful night and I so, so, so love this club.

Lam

I'm worried we'll defeat City and hand it over to Liverpool. Hopefully Liverpool continue to drop more points.

PieCrust

It wasn't pretty that's for sure. PSG completely dominated the match, but we made them pay for their errors. PSG is such a mentally challenged team it was surreal just watching them dominate but not be able to have any sort of cutting edge once Bailly was taken off. Mbappe is legit though, just oozes class that kid.

I still cannot believe that with the team we were forced to put out and the dominance that PSG had that we got not only the result for the match, but won the tie. Unbelievable and a huge credit to Ole and the entire squad. Other than Bailly's dismal performance (and Young) it was a masterclass of resolution from United and fighting until the end.

That first goal from Lukaku was immense. You cannot understate the importance of that goal in the 2'. It completely turned the tie on its head and gave United legitimate belief and PSG serious doubt.

snk123

It wasn't pretty that's for sure. PSG completely dominated the match, but we made them pay for their errors. PSG is such a mentally challenged team it was surreal just watching them dominate but not be able to have any sort of cutting edge once Bailly was taken off. Mbappe is legit though, just oozes class that kid.
But isn't he also then mentally challenged then? because let's face it, he had two great opportunities and he fluffed them both especially the one on one with DDG.

PieCrust

But isn't he also then mentally challenged then? because let's face it, he had two great opportunities and he fluffed them both especially the one on one with DDG.
True. I think the weather had a lot to do with it as well and Smalling actually made up some good ground to get into a good position on one of them.

My comment was more along the lines of how much I hate PSG as a plastic club in a shite league and I resent that because of those 2 factors they get a luxury that other clubs don't by being able to 100% focus on the CL all the while using their state sponsorship to buy up top quality talent. They have no soul.

But I don't hold that against Mbappe (who's so young and will move on in a few more years) as much as I do against say Neymar, who claims to be a top player, but chooses to waste away his prime in league 1 where he'll never get the credit he thinks he deserves.

Zed 101

It felt a bit like the Liverpool game, PSG should have slaughtered us TBH whilst Baily was on anyway, we were rocking for 10 minutes then after they scored they lost their intensity..... for the majority of the match PSG did very little to threaten our goal, yes we defended well (Baily injury a blessing in disguise) but still in terms of solid chances we probably were closer to them than the possession would suggest.

Not taking away our effort and performance all things considered it was mammoth, but if I was a PSG fan I would be extremely frustrated by their performance, rather than anything we did.

Treble

I wonder how Jose feels right now - after the heroics against Sevilla and the comments after that. Hope Madrid get him again, he's past it.

Zed 101

That result earned us a cool 6.5 mil euros, pays for Sanchez for a couple of weeks at least.

SqueakyWeasel

I have actual tears in my eyes while I'm going through this thread!

Looking at the reactions of players, fans, ex-players, pundits and even compliments from rival fans.

To put it into perspective I'd forgotten we even had a player called Martial until I saw his celebration video :wenger:

Like many on here I got a bollocking when I finally crawled drunkenly into bed for the racket I made when I turned the still German night air blue with my screaming celebrations as Marcus buried that penalty. The volume apparently ramped up while the ref allowed play to go on into the 100th minute as I was sure the dream would be cruelly taken away by FIFA bowing to oil money once again! My decision to drink a few more beers and start going through reactions was, on reflection, probably ill-advised! As was trying to explain the significance of what had just happened to my GF when I finally hit the sack at around 1:30am.

Being immediately evicted to the couch backfired on her though because it's far too near the fridge where all the cold beer was! :lol:

Player Ratings

7.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% PSG 1:3 Man Utd
  • 13% PSG 2:1 Man Utd