CL W Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Paris St Germain 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 March 2019

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Its probably due to my own negligence, but I'd never even hear of Kehrer before yesterday. Is he a regular starter for you lot?

Also, is Draxler all hype on nothing else? He never seems to do much on the (admittedly rare) occasions i see him.
Kehrer was or is considered as a promising German defender given his age. I don't follow the Bundesliga but has been called by the Mannshaft several times this season. In fact, he did similar mistakes at the beginning of the season so can't say I'm fully surprised by his mistake. He needs to strenghten his game.

Draxler is another story, his best role is left-forward: good player but he was supposed to be on the bench this season because Mbappe/Neymar/Cavani make the starting 11 and Di Maria is supposed to be the super sub. I think he should leave, which would the best solution for all the parties involved.

Drifter

American
Having calmed down from the giddiness of yesterday. I have to say we were gifted all three goals. Not complaining at all.But trying not to get carried away.

LeRoiEric

Supports
Olympique Marseille
Hi guys,

As a fan of Olympique Marseille and Eric Cantona, I just remember the 'Olééééé' during the first match and I just want to say one thing:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Paris is definitely magic. Every year they disappear from Champions League and no one understand the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canagel

Having calmed down from the giddiness of yesterday. I have to say we were gifted all three goals. Not complaining at all.But trying not to get carried away.
only the first one was a gift. The game was far from smash and grab. they had the ball but we were the better side from minute 30 onward.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I did have a similar thought this morning .... was it a defensive error, a goalie error and a ref error (not that I cared either way mind).

Then I thought about Rashford pressurising the defender and Lukaku anticipation/finish..... Rashford was going for goal and Lukaku anticipation..... Dalot was going for goal and (per refs on BT/social media) a pens a pen?

Some fortune maybe but (and noting we had a lot of players out), we earned those goals I think.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Or maybe the lads took their chances when it came calling. The goals were very efficient.
A few weeks back Lukaku would have missed those chances, so it says a lot about the work Ole has done with his strikers. Also great teams don't gift goals like that. PSG are arrogant, but nowhere near as good as they think they are. Yes they might have made errors but we made them happen.

Galinha

You can say many things why we won that game,
As a PSG fan, I have experienced La Remontada two years ago and many diverse catastrophic events before and after Qatar acquired the club. My comments:

- Congrats to you: OGS implemented the right strategy given the circumstances: focus on the spine, straight-forward approach, 2 central strikers...

- Cursed PSG: with 3 goals which are some jokes including one in the 3 minutes of the game, especially given the context

- Overconfidence from several players before the 2nd leg: I'm not surprised that Kimpembe made a mistake even if VAR/referee is strange

- 2 of the 4 most important players out: not an excuse but we never have all the most important players on the pitch in February since several seasons. Missing Neymar and Cavani. I know that you had a lot of injured players my point still stands. PSG mainly relies on 4 major players: erratti+M'bappé+Neymar+Cavani... All the other players are secondary ones, which doesn't mean they are not good but I mean they can be replaced.

- Cursed Neymar . Let's say we had 4 critical games in two seasons and he only played 1 game: the first leg against Madrid last season and he was absolutely brilliant (best player on the pitch for me), injured before the 2nd leg, unavailable against United.

- Failure of German players who made to play for Arsenal and not for PSG: I'm sure @oneniltothearsenal would enjoy Kehrer and Draxler. They are like kids

- Failure of experienced players like Buffon and Dani Alves : we don't need them for the future, trust Areola and Meunier

- From a tactical standpoint, the right-wing was weak:
Kehrer/35-year-old Dani Alves/Draxler is a unit which lacks power, pace and energy. And PSG is cursed but it's part of our DNA since the 80s in a certain sense.

And to those who think PSG is a "superficial club", I just believe they are parrots with a limited football knowledge and appreciation and it's obvious that PSG fans at home and away have demonstrated PSG's soul is much more powerful than most of the Premier League clubs.

The club is still capable to retain M'bappé/Neymar/Cavani/Verratti for another year. If they are all available in February and if some adjustments are made in defence, then please be sure the club can win the Champions League next season :angel:

And to provide some context, in the last 6 years: we have been kicked out by

- Barcelona 3 times
- Real Madrid, Chelsea, United, City: 1 time

PSG will get his revenge sooner or later :devil:
Its a really great replay. But from a tactical standpoint, your manager made so many fouls this game. We had 1 tactic, we had no real depth in the squad. The one and only tactic was pure fight.

Look at the substitutions:
Our:
Dalot: 14 united games and 8 porto games - 0 a-nation games
Chong: 3 united games (compared around 45 mins) - 0 a-nation games
Greenwood: 1 united game (only yesterday) - 0 a-nation games

Yours:
Meunier: 96 PSG games and 198 Brugge games - 36 a-nation games
Paredes: 9 PSG games and 61 Zenit games - 9 a-nation games
Cavani: 273 PSG games and 138 Napoli games - 109 a-nation games

crossy1686

career ending
You create your own luck, as the great man Fergie once said. We put them in a position to make mistakes and made it difficult for them, they gifted us the errors we forced them into.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Probably the closest we've come to a Fergie performance and Fergie result since Fergie retired. Absolutely astonishing from the boys, especially if you look at how many big saves DDG had to make (one: at the feet of Mbappe just before they hit the post). I am one of his biggest critics but Smalling was immense; quite brilliant. Lindelof wasn't far behind while the Fred/Scot McT axis which most people were probably dreading was awesome. I actually thought Rash had a poor first 20 minutes, making wrong choices. Even the shot for the second goal originally looked the wrong choice, although obviously it turned out to be right. Lukaku was huge. All round fantastic other than poor old Bailly - and to be fair he just can't play anywhere except CB. It was Ole's only mistake to start with him and not Dalot (who should now be a regular first choice). Even Young was good once he moved to FB. As for the penalty, I was surprised it was given straightaway: right or wrong law, it fitted the description of an offence right down to the ground

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I wonder what he'd say if we approached Mbappe today and asked him if he wanted to join a proper league

gaucho_10

Glorious night of football that was! :drool:

Congratulations to all of you red fecks. I was behind you all all the way!

Shyftyy

I finally managed to spare some time to listen to the podcast. Listening to that now, with the advantage of hindsight, is so fun

Snafu17

The camera direction yesterday was one of the worst ones I have ever seen. The fact that they managed to completely miss out on Rashford's celebration in favour of some boring shots of Buffon looking dejected and a bloke in the stands pulling his hat over his head is borderline criminal.

I hope we get on of those "All angles" videos on United's Youtube channel.

Oneunited26

Today we saw the sleeping monster reawaken, and pundits, rival fans are hating it, we hear a scouser on talksport call ole overrated, a French journey call united lucky and ole doing nothing tactically, when in the first leg their very own Frenchman should have been sent off. There is the saying you make your own luck, and PSG get karma for what happened at old Trafford

Ole is doing beyond Houdini stuff, this is like witchcraft sorcery stuff, cannot believe it. If I’m honest nothing surprises me with MUFC, when they in this mood they like a freight train. There is no matic, Herrera, pogba, martial, lingard and many more, think I’m missing more I think and ole has gone to Paris and done one of the most difficult tasks. There truly is something magical about Man Utd, many ask - what is the united way? This is the united way, rocky balboa in the ring that will not stop no matter the odds, he will give everything he has got to win, we hunt to kill no matter the personal

Jose Mourinho could never understand the red magic, he’s like an atheist coming into our religion dismissing the magic that things can’t ever be like it was in the old days, the old ways are over Jose said, same has VG and moyes said this, and we need to fall in line with everyone else. Ole has proven this club is not like anything else, if you can’t embrace the magic, the religion, what this football club is why we support it, you will never be one of us. You either get on board with the magic, or don’t come here at all. It’s why MUFC is the greatest story ever told

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
As a PSG fan, I have experienced La Remontada two years ago and many diverse catastrophic events before and after Qatar acquired the club. My comments:

- Congrats to you: OGS implemented the right strategy given the circumstances: focus on the spine, straight-forward approach, 2 central strikers...

- Cursed PSG: with 3 goals which are some jokes including one in the 3 minutes of the game, especially given the context

- Overconfidence from several players before the 2nd leg: I'm not surprised that Kimpembe made a mistake even if VAR/referee is strange

- 2 of the 4 most important players out: not an excuse but we never have all the most important players on the pitch in February since several seasons. Missing Neymar and Cavani. I know that you had a lot of injured players my point still stands. PSG mainly relies on 4 major players: erratti+M'bappé+Neymar+Cavani... All the other players are secondary ones, which doesn't mean they are not good but I mean they can be replaced.

- Cursed Neymar . Let's say we had 4 critical games in two seasons and he only played 1 game: the first leg against Madrid last season and he was absolutely brilliant (best player on the pitch for me), injured before the 2nd leg, unavailable against United.

- Failure of German players who made to play for Arsenal and not for PSG: I'm sure @oneniltothearsenal would enjoy Kehrer and Draxler. They are like kids

- Failure of experienced players like Buffon and Dani Alves : we don't need them for the future, trust Areola and Meunier

Kehrer/35-year-old Dani Alves/Draxler is a unit which lacks power, pace and energy. And PSG is cursed but it's part of our DNA since the 80s in a certain sense.

And to those who think PSG is a "superficial club", I just believe they are parrots with a limited football knowledge and appreciation and it's obvious that PSG fans at home and away have demonstrated PSG's soul is much more powerful than most of the Premier League clubs.

The club is still capable to retain M'bappé/Neymar/Cavani/Verratti for another year. If they are all available in February and if some adjustments are made in defence, then please be sure the club can win the Champions League next season :angel:

- Barcelona 3 times

PSG is just snakebitten in the CL. The further the match went with MU needing just one goal, the more mistakes PSG were making. Nerves are a funny thing.

I though Draxler and Alves were very good. During the match I kept thinking why did Barca let Alves go? He is an easy opposing player to not like, but he is so talented and still has good pace at 35. I don't watch PSG but I have to believe that Di Maria is one of your top players also.

At least this time you had the right tactics and simple mistakes cost you. I never understood the tactics in the 2nd leg with Chelsea and it cost you. Real Madrid were just too experienced for you. The Barca 6-1 was just weird.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I did have a similar thought this morning .... was it a defensive error, a goalie error and a ref error (not that I cared either way mind).

Then I thought about Rashford pressurising the defender and Lukaku anticipation/finish..... Rashford was going for goal and Lukaku anticipation..... Dalot was going for goal and (per refs on BT/social media) a pens a pen?

Some fortune maybe but (and noting we had a lot of players out), we earned those goals I think.
Forced errors. First one was a FORCED error, a result of pressing, a tactical move, executed by Rashford and Lukaku together. Second was a shot by Rashford which was moving, skidding, bouncing. Again the error was a result of a problem being posed and not dealt with. The peno. Definitely a peno. The guy watched the ball come at him, jumped with his arms raised. In the penalty area. His guilt was written all over his face. And the peno still had to be put away.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

- Barcelona 3 times

You should sell Neymar, build the team around Mbappe. Neymar and Cavani unbalance your team significantly. Cavani does defend from the front but does little in the way of tracking, Neymar couldn't be less interested in defending if he tries. It makes it difficult for PSG to keep a good shape in games when it needs to.

Mbappe is the future of French football, and probably world football. PSG should remake the team to work around him, like Madrid did with Ronaldo and Barcelona did with Messi. PSG will become a more cohesive tactical unit if it sells Neymar and Cavani IMO.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The camera direction yesterday was one of the worst ones I have ever seen. The fact that they managed to completely miss out on Rashford's celebration in favour of some boring shots of Buffon looking dejected and a bloke in the stands pulling his hat over his head is borderline criminal.

I hope we get on of those "All angles" videos on United's Youtube channel.
Would be nice to see the goings-on during the run up to the penalty too. They did their best to put Marcus R off, happily it didnt work.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Its probably due to my own negligence, but I'd never even hear of Kehrer before yesterday. Is he a regular starter for you lot?

Also, is Draxler all hype on nothing else? He never seems to do much on the (admittedly rare) occasions i see him.
Kehrer played for Schalke before moving to PSG. He's had a very inconsistent season so far at PSG, he has talent but he might not be cut out for the very top, could simply be struggling with moving country so probably best to judge him more harshly next season. But so far he's not lived up to his potential.

Draxler is simply over rated. He's not special, he's basically a poor mans Theo Walcott and that's being generous.

rollingstoned1

true but we had to give ourselves the chance to be lucky and we went about it the only way we could in this game by being on point early in the game and grabbing a goal thereby setting some panic in the PSG ranks who have had form for bottling it and being in the game until the very end where we allow their nerves to perhaps get the better of them and wait to capitalise on mistakes. Now that i say it out loud it sounds so Mourinhoesque. :lol:
We had nothing to lose and played like it, i'm glad we didn't throw the game away in light of personnel non-availability and more important fixtures but that we stuck at it. The old united is well and truly back. Going into the final few minutes when nothing looked like happening i was still happy even though we were going out as we had done immeasurably better than anyone ever gave us a chance of doing and were winning away at Paris with a threadbare lineup and a lot of squad players and reserves starting but i guess it was probably just karma and destiny that saw us through. It still needed the belief though like Lukaku and Ole said.

Redlyn

Tuchel was clearly frustrated after the contest arguing that he ‘never had the impression that Manchester United wanted to win’ the match.
‘After the second goal, we controlled the match, we played with a lot of quality,’ Tuchel told RMC Sport. ‘We react well to the first goal we gave them. We had a lot of chances but we did not score the second, or the third. ‘Aside from that, with not even a chance, with not even anything they get a second goal. The second goal turned the match completely in our heads.
‘In the second half, they didn’t have a single chance. I have the same feeling now as I did after our defeat to Guingamp in the Coupe de la Ligue, it was impossible to lose and we lost with three penalties. ‘Today, I never had the impression that Manchester United wanted to win here. We lost but we controlled the whole game. They won, congratulations to them, but I have no explanation as to how they won.’
Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/07/psg-...ng-champions-league-loss-8845019/?ito=cbshare

So how many shots on target this team at home that wanted to win and controlled the whole game had vs this depleted man united side? Same as us, thats how many.
So if we were poor, what does that make them? Fecking arsenal in disguise.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Tuchel was clearly frustrated after the contest arguing that he ‘never had the impression that Manchester United wanted to win’ the match.
‘After the second goal, we controlled the match, we played with a lot of quality,’ Tuchel told RMC Sport. ‘We react well to the first goal we gave them. We had a lot of chances but we did not score the second, or the third. ‘Aside from that, with not even a chance, with not even anything they get a second goal. The second goal turned the match completely in our heads.
‘In the second half, they didn’t have a single chance. I have the same feeling now as I did after our defeat to Guingamp in the Coupe de la Ligue, it was impossible to lose and we lost with three penalties. ‘Today, I never had the impression that Manchester United wanted to win here. We lost but we controlled the whole game. They won, congratulations to them, but I have no explanation as to how they won.’
Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/07/psg-...ng-champions-league-loss-8845019/?ito=cbshare

So how many shots on target this team at home that wanted to win and controlled the whole game had vs this depleted man united side? Same as us, thats how many.
So if we were poor, what does that make them? Fecking arsenal in disguise.
They lost because they only scored one goal and we scored three, think that is how football works.

Lam

Irony is Mou would have set up exactly like this. He would not have played Martial. He might not have played Pogba. He would not have wanted possession. He would have hoped Lukaku will find a way to get 2 goals. He’d have played Mctominay. 5 at the back. And we would have lost 3-1 after which he would have thrown the team under the bus.

The difference is now the players are playing for each other. For Ole. And believing in themselves. That’s man management. Football, and more importantly footballers, has changed since 2005 but he hasn’t. Ole is the right one. I would like thank Mou for messing up the last CL group game and giving us an opportunity to experience ‘that’ night in Paris.

djembatheking

I hope a few of our supporters that wanted to play a weakened side and rest as many players as possible for the Arsenal game as the tie was done learn a lesson from this . Thankfully Ole never gives up .
The amount of posters on here that shot down any positive posts before the match with `forget it mate,it`s done ` was shocking .
As Ole says - We are Man United , it is what we do .

Player Ratings

7.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% PSG 1:3 Man Utd
  • 13% PSG 2:1 Man Utd