CL W Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Paris St Germain 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 March 2019

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Forced errors. First one was a FORCED error, a result of pressing, a tactical move, executed by Rashford and Lukaku together. Second was a shot by Rashford which was moving, skidding, bouncing. Again the error was a result of a problem being posed and not dealt with. The peno. Definitely a peno. The guy watched the ball come at him, jumped with his arms raised. In the penalty area. His guilt was written all over his face. And the peno still had to be put away.
true but we had to give ourselves the chance to be lucky and we went about it the only way we could in this game by being on point early in the game and grabbing a goal thereby setting some panic in the PSG ranks who have had form for bottling it and being in the game until the very end where we allow their nerves to perhaps get the better of them and wait to capitalise on mistakes. Now that i say it out loud it sounds so Mourinhoesque. :lol:
We had nothing to lose and played like it, i'm glad we didn't throw the game away in light of personnel non-availability and more important fixtures but that we stuck at it. The old united is well and truly back. Going into the final few minutes when nothing looked like happening i was still happy even though we were going out as we had done immeasurably better than anyone ever gave us a chance of doing and were winning away at Paris with a threadbare lineup and a lot of squad players and reserves starting but i guess it was probably just karma and destiny that saw us through. It still needed the belief though like Lukaku and Ole said.
I'm not disagreeing, I think the same. Just replying to a post that suggested we were lucky/gifted. There's a difference between luck and some (earned) fortune.

Tapori

The camera direction yesterday was one of the worst ones I have ever seen. The fact that they managed to completely miss out on Rashford's celebration in favour of some boring shots of Buffon looking dejected and a bloke in the stands pulling his hat over his head is borderline criminal.

I hope we get on of those "All angles" videos on United's Youtube channel.
This
All footy fans need to campaign to have match directors held to account
Shocking direction

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I wonder what he'd say if we approached Mbappe today and asked him if he wanted to join a proper league
I think if they sold Mbappe, that would be curtains for PSG. No chance for me, even if he wanted to.

ManRed

PSG really bottled this. They saw we were against the ropes and instead of bringing in Cavani and making our life difficult Tuchel chose to do nothing and see the game out.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
You can say many things why we won that game,

Its a really great replay. But from a tactical standpoint, your manager made so many fouls this game. We had 1 tactic, we had no real depth in the squad. The one and only tactic was pure fight.

Look at the substitutions:
Our:
Dalot: 14 united games and 8 porto games - 0 a-nation games
Chong: 3 united games (compared around 45 mins) - 0 a-nation games
Greenwood: 1 united game (only yesterday) - 0 a-nation games

Yours:
Meunier: 96 PSG games and 198 Brugge games - 36 a-nation games
Paredes: 9 PSG games and 61 Zenit games - 9 a-nation games
Cavani: 273 PSG games and 138 Napoli games - 109 a-nation games
Pure fight and pure luck too. But luck is part of the game.

PSG is just snakebitten in the CL. The further the match went with MU needing just one goal, the more mistakes PSG were making. Nerves are a funny thing.

I though Draxler and Alves were very good. During the match I kept thinking why did Barca let Alves go? He is an easy opposing player to not like, but he is so talented and still has good pace at 35. I don't watch PSG but I have to believe that Di Maria is one of your top players also.

At least this time you had the right tactics and simple mistakes cost you. I never understood the tactics in the 2nd leg with Chelsea and it cost you. Real Madrid were just too experienced for you. The Barca 6-1 was just weird.
Di Maria is a top player but has to viewed as a super sub if all the players are fit.

I don't want to enter into details regarding the previous campaigns but each result is explained by 4-5 different reasons. The lack of experience has never been a proper explanation.

It would be time-consuming to explain each game.

You should sell Neymar, build the team around Mbappe. Neymar and Cavani unbalance your team significantly. Cavani does defend from the front but does little in the way of tracking, Neymar couldn't be less interested in defending if he tries. It makes it difficult for PSG to keep a good shape in games when it needs to.

Mbappe is the future of French football, and probably world football. PSG should remake the team to work around him, like Madrid did with Ronaldo and Barcelona did with Messi. PSG will become a more cohesive tactical unit if it sells Neymar and Cavani IMO.
Fully disagree. Cavani/Neymar/M'bappé is a complimentary trio.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Draxler is simply over rated. He's not special, he's basically a poor mans Theo Walcott and that's being generous.
Crikey. I think that's the most scathing putdown of a footballer I've ever read.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Pure fight and pure luck too. But luck is part of the game.

Di Maria is a top player but has to viewed as a super sub if all the players are fit.

I don't want to enter into details regarding the previous campaigns but each result is explained by 4-5 different reasons. The lack of experience has never been a proper explanation.

It would be time-consuming to explain each game.

To one another but not to the other eight players on the pitch. Very often they show no inclination to maintain team shape in transition and leave all the defending to other people. That leads PSG to be a fragmented team at times. Fine against lesser opponents but it will be exposed against better teams.

Ronaldinho and Eto'o were better players than Pedro and Villa, however Pedro and Villa were more complementary to Messi and to a more rounded team game and that took Barcelona to the next level. PSG could learn from that instead of persuing the Galacticos strategy. Its important to remember that Madrid won relatively little during the original Galacticos period. In the second they had to sideline Kaka and a variety of other stars to make the team work for Ronaldo.

PSG could become a better unit without Cavani and Neymar.

Nori-

Massive result. We needed that after the last mind numbing year.

The team need to snap back and refocus as soon as possible though. We have Arsenal next in a game which could be crucial for a top 4 finish. Then we play Wolves away in the FA cup, which is our best chance of a trophy this season in my opinion.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm still on a massive high from that. Haven't felt that from a result in a long long time.

When the ref gave the penalty I didn't know what to do with myself. Was pacing up and down having heart palpitations just muttering "come on Marcus" over and over :lol:

Can't remember the last time a manager was so adored by the players. I obviously think we should appoint him but we don't have to do it right now still. It's a nice little morale booster/trump card we can play at any point during the season.

Oneunited26

Me too. To win over there, with ten players missing, is one of our greatest results. Incredible stuff.
But listen to pundits and rival fans

PSG bottled it

They were missing Neymar

Ole is overrated

united were lucky

United didn’t play football

But hey PSG should have been red carded at OT, but hey let’s forget that, because it’s ABU for a reason

And to sum it up, ole did it with united reserves

RU Devil

They compliment each other fine, but probably unbalance the whole team. No doubt they function well as an attacking trident, but offer very little on the other side of the pitch. As such, the rest of the team gets stretched & probably aren't used to seeing games out when under a bit of pressure.

At this time, neither Neymar or Mbappe seem ready to defer to one another like Benzema did for CRonaldo. Not that they 'need to' to make it work, but add in Cavani and you have less resources to build upon in the back. RM got away with it due to Benzema doing yeoman's work, plus having much better defenders. PSG probably would be better served playing 2 up front, or at least replace Cavani (Di Maria, when he could be arsed like at OT is the idea).

DSG

I got the feeling from the first minute that PSG was too uptight about the match. The Bernat goal calmed them down (more evidence that Bailly is not going to be here after the summer... playing Mbappe onside, then strolling around as if it was a Sunday kick about). Ole didn’t hesitate, realized Bailly was not up to the task, and subbed Dalot in immediately.

I do think the first half was dominated by PSG. We played better in the 2nd half. The breakaway slip by Mbappe was lucky for us. But the 65th minute onwards, PSG got nervous.

The penalty was clearly karma payback for Kimpembe not getting sent off in the first leg. And guess what. I don’t care. On to the quarters!

ghagua

Never thought we would win this tie, not when this draw was made or any time up to the final whistle. Great result!

mu4c_20le

I'm still on a massive high from that. Haven't felt that from a result in a long long time.

When the ref gave the penalty I didn't know what to do with myself. Was pacing up and down having heart palpitations just muttering "come on Marcus" over and over :lol:

Can't remember the last time a manager was so adored by the players. I obviously think we should appoint him but we don't have to do it right now still. It's a nice little morale booster/trump card we can play at any point during the season.
Not gonna lie, im still reeling after a night of celebrations.. its the manner in which we won it. If we scored early and just defended like hell, it wouldn't be the same as a late late winner with all the drama and passion. That's why it was so emotional. You simply cannot script it any better than that.

Hughie77

Unbelievable, I put money on at 11/2 Just to win but more in hope, what a pen under pressure. Best night since 99.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Has anyone calmed down yet?

I still feel all weird and fuzzy about it all :lol:

I sit next to a scouser at work, and the silly bastard didn't even try to be controversial. The only real let down.

lewwoo

Watched us win last night in a bar in Malta with a load of PSG supporters who were chanting throughout the game and believed they had it in the bag. They all walked out when Rashford scored and I started going crazy! I was also in a bar in Rome last year when we beat Liverpool 2-1. I need to go on holiday more often

Suv666

Saw the Neymar comments on the refs today. Should surely get fined or something. Bang out of order.

buchansleftleg

I'm trying to be measured about the game and I freely concede that on some level PSG bottled it.

Whilst Bailly was on the pitch they dominated play and should have scored a brace.

Individual PSG players made mistakes that lead to our first 2 goals, but these mistakes came from pressure exerted by a third string midfield from us.

That this team played with such belief is to the credit of the management team. The fact that Ole kept changing things up front kept PSG from settling into concerted attacking pressure.

Did we get a bit of luck? Yes we did. But we kept going with immense belief and teamwork.

PSG may talk of "curses" but I think they failed to raise their game. They're used to winning easily and teams giving up when playing them...Not this side!

Charlie Foley

Johnathan Wilson nailed it on the Guardian podcast. What Ole did was put us in the best possible spot to capitalise from whatever luck fell our way

mu4c_20le

PSG have no excuse, I mean they should have watched us do the Saints just days ago.

Canagel

Tuchel was clearly frustrated after the contest arguing that he ‘never had the impression that Manchester United wanted to win’ the match.
‘After the second goal, we controlled the match, we played with a lot of quality,’ Tuchel told RMC Sport. ‘We react well to the first goal we gave them. We had a lot of chances but we did not score the second, or the third. ‘Aside from that, with not even a chance, with not even anything they get a second goal. The second goal turned the match completely in our heads.
‘In the second half, they didn’t have a single chance. I have the same feeling now as I did after our defeat to Guingamp in the Coupe de la Ligue, it was impossible to lose and we lost with three penalties. ‘Today, I never had the impression that Manchester United wanted to win here. We lost but we controlled the whole game. They won, congratulations to them, but I have no explanation as to how they won.’
Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/07/psg-...ng-champions-league-loss-8845019/?ito=cbshare

So how many shots on target this team at home that wanted to win and controlled the whole game had vs this depleted man united side? Same as us, thats how many.
So if we were poor, what does that make them? Fecking arsenal in disguise.
it's all nonsense and sour grapes. even his player said "we need to eat our own sh*t". they bottled it to be very simple.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’m still buzzing about what happened last night, proud of the boys.

I went a bit mad celebrating last night and didn’t get any sleep as I got in at 6:30am with work the next day at 9am.

Needless to say, I’m absolutely battered, but it was worth it.

Member 90887

it's all nonsense and sour grapes. even his player said "we need to eat our own sh*t". they bottled it to be very simple.
That's a fine example of a manager that can't accept the fact that there are several ways to achieve your goal in football. you make your luck.

They played into our hands, the plan was always to try and get the first goal so that we're in the game. Ole even said before the game that the plan is to get a first goal, and try to be one goal from qualification in the last 15/20 minutes. that's exactly what the team did, there was no need to try to attack and score considering that we got a goal in the first few minutes. from that point, it was always about not conceding until the last 15 minutes of the game and then go all out attack. that's what we did, and it paid off.

Coming up with things like that he looks like an inexperienced manager that got outplayed by an actually inexperienced manager.

Ole's gameplan worked to perfection, We needed some luck, we got it. they had plenty of luck in the first leg, it should have never finished at 0-2 with the Kimpebe red card.

Talisker

i dashed up to bed straight after the final whistle as I have to be up at 4.15 for work. It took me well past midnight to fall asleep - buzzing!

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Yesterday I kept talking we will win 2-4, and go to next round, my colleges were laughing their heads off. Some placed bets on PSG hendicap.. I told them they are wrong, and should bet on United handicap. They did not believe me, thinking, a fan talking rubbish, PSG at home, blah, you have injuries, blah, Pogba suspended, blah, I said:"I see it in my crystal ball, and I feel it in my ovaries!" They laughed. Told them: "See ya losers tomorrow, I will be the smilling one." Went home.

Today, aaaah. Best day ever, went to work, walked into my office like a peacock, with a huge smile on my face, and everybody congratulated me. I said: "What did I tell you all yesterday?" They said that something is wrong with my crystal ball because I sad 2-4, I told them I'm happy with it, couldn't care less, and started singing Ole's at the wheel.
Don't know why, they were avoiding me whole day, but I was nice. :angel:

Still buzzing

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
To one another but not to the other eight players on the pitch. Very often they show no inclination to maintain team shape in transition and leave all the defending to other people. That leads PSG to be a fragmented team at times. Fine against lesser opponents but it will be exposed against better teams.

Ronaldinho and Eto'o were better players than Pedro and Villa, however Pedro and Villa were more complementary to Messi and to a more rounded team game and that took Barcelona to the next level. PSG could learn from that instead of persuing the Galacticos strategy. Its important to remember that Madrid won relatively little during the original Galacticos period. In the second they had to sideline Kaka and a variety of other stars to make the team work for Ronaldo.

PSG could become a better unit without Cavani and Neymar.
I fully understand your rationale and thanks for taking the time to explain your your way of thinking.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you today and I don't think you could find a single PSG fan saying the team is better without Neymar: he's just our offensive leader #1 and he makes the team and especially M'bappé better and more unpredictable. The partnership M'bappé/Neymar is just our biggest asset: Neymar is always looking for Kylian.

Regarding the balance of the team, it's true the offensive trio didn't do the job at Anfield but since that 1st loss of the season, they made more efforts since.

That said, you may find some PSG fans saying the team is better without Cavani.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still can't believe we won.

At one stage, PSG played a throughball, my feed froze, and when it came up, the ball was in the net. It just felt inevitable, and "we need 2 now" and it seemed impossible.

Then I realised play was going on, and it was offside! One of a number of great moments yesterday!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
They compliment each other fine, but probably unbalance the whole team. No doubt they function well as an attacking trident, but offer very little on the other side of the pitch. As such, the rest of the team gets stretched & probably aren't used to seeing games out when under a bit of pressure.

At this time, neither Neymar or Mbappe seem ready to defer to one another like Benzema did for CRonaldo. Not that they 'need to' to make it work, but add in Cavani and you have less resources to build upon in the back. RM got away with it due to Benzema doing yeoman's work, plus having much better defenders. PSG probably would be better served playing 2 up front, or at least replace Cavani (Di Maria, when he could be arsed like at OT is the idea).
Cavani sacrificed in some specific big games can make sense when he isn't in a great shape (see his games against Madrid last season).

Dante

Average bang
Is this result, and the way it transpired, better than if we'd won 1-0 in both legs with two comfortable performances?

Player Ratings

7.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% PSG 1:3 Man Utd
  • 13% PSG 2:1 Man Utd