CL L Champions League Group H

Manchester United 1:3 Paris St Germain

Post-match discussion

Wed, 02 December 2020

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Team can blame themselves. You can't not score on so many A+ chances.

lex talionis

Gave it away. Ole and Fred are a match made in heaven, but WTF was that from Martial?

Statue of Limitations

I'm heavily in the Ole-in camp, but the failure to take Fred off was just baffling.
That aside, we didn't take our chances and were the better team for long spells of the game.

Job to do in Leipzig, which I'm sure we will do, was 5-0 last time out, won't be easy but we should do it.

Reynoldo

So:

Win - top the group
Draw - finish second (most likely)
Lose - Europa league

we don’t usually do ourselves any favors in these situations

Møllemanden

We were brilliant. I know it sounds wierd when we got beat by PSG but game should have been wrapped up long ago. We had controll of the game all the time until red card. And even then we tried.
I agree. I love the fact that Ole went for it, instead of going for damage limitation. Fergie would have done the exact same. It will pay off in the long run, I think.

If you look at the way the team worked and gave PSG a proper game... You didn't see that passion and aggression from any of our previous teams under Moyes, LvG and Mou.

Yes, Fred should have been on the bench for the second half. But Ole gambled and credit to him for daring to do so.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not taking Fred off at half time shows how little Ole trusts in other options, at least defensively.
Must be. Probably because he thought Matic wouldn’t have the legs to do the job in a 2.

But if that was the case and he had 5 subs, he should have brought on Matic and Donny, taken off a striker and reverted into a diamond.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So:

Win - top the group
Draw - finish second (most likely)
Lose - Europa league

we don’t usually do ourselves any favors in these situations
Win and we finish 2nd if PSG match our result. It will only be 2-way H2H and PSG’s is superior after that late goal.

cptkeane1993

We went into this game with the wrong attitude. Players joking about in training, Ole making jokes during the press conference whilst PSG were quietly training away, focussed and serious.
They wanted to win the game more, our players probably thought job done and we just need a point. Inexperience - players and Ole.

It will be the same for Leipzig. They need to win and we need a draw to finish second at best. (Istanbul has nothing to play for and will lose in Paris.)
They will be up for the game after the 5-0 reverse and they need to win, so little motivation required and Nagelsmann will be prepared for it. If we went it with the same attitude as today, it's Europa League again definitely.

We say it a lot but this is going to be a real test for Ole and this team.

Teja

Arrrrrrrgh.

So that's that, move on and beat RBL away. They're not that special, we kept up with them with our B team.

Only concern is injuries - looks like Rashford was carrying a knock and still played. VdB was probably nursing the ankle too. No idea who's fit for WHU but come on, it's Moyes, we can kill 'em.

El Presidente

Can't believe last season people were genuinely arguing that Martial is better than Kane and in some fantasy world where Spurs would offer us a straight swap, they still wouldn't take it.
Straight swap :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Please ...

Heinzesight

Still think their second was dodgy. There was a still they showed where he looked well off. Then the next time they showed it was level. Fishy.

mav_9me

Ah, well, f*ck this shit; we are not even among the best 16 clubs in Europe. Even if we qualified by beating friggin' Leipzig. A Top side scores its chances and doesn't concede. This 1-3 is exactly where we are against the likes of PSG or Bayern.
PSG and bayern are no where near same level. Tbh the way psg were caught on the counter again and again was amateurish. To me they are a nothing team, dependent completely on neymar and Mbappe to create something.

We complain about ole and that we are not well coached but they are no better than us.

bondsname

Difficult to react to this game reasonably when the wound is still fresh. We did play well and 1-3 is not a fair reflection of the game, but ultimately PSG took their chances and we didn't. We had a good opportunity tonight to seal it and be comfortable in our next game versus Leipzig, but nope that won't be the case now. It will be another nerve wracking game that will feck my stomach up and that sucks.

Hope Ole has learnt his lesson now that Fred can't be trusted when on a yellow. It's not a knee jerk reaction, Fred has been a crucial part of our midfield but he more often than not gives away fouls, sometimes in dangerous areas, and against an opposition like PSG we simply can't afford to go down to 10 men.

Other than that I think Ole got it right. PSG had some nice spells, and we did aswell, it was pleasant to see us actually playing good football against an elite team in the Champions League, instead of playing deep and pragmatically. Those Martial chances pisses me off just by thinking of them, but it is what is. Hope Martial can get back to last season's form because we could've really needed that guy tonight.

I enjoyed seeing McTomminay doing a good job of targeting Neymar. An academy lad marking arguably one of the top 3 best players in the world , we should be proud of him.

Back to reality now and start realising what wonderful things I have in life that I should be grateful for, so I don't sit and dwell on this games for several days. Hope we can bounce back versus West Ham.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Ole is young and learning. He'll get it right next time.
I don't think he should go, but I don't think he learns, either.

We've seen this story of not making streetsmart subs too many times from him. He's especially vulnerable to shithousery and playacting teams. Sevilla, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and now PSG. Ole needs help in this regard or this will be his undoing.

SER19

Must be. Probably because he thought Matic wouldn’t have the legs to do the job in a 2. But given 3 had 5 subs, he should have brought on Matic and Donny and reverted into a diamond.
Yes it's a bullshit excuse we had 3 good midfield options and if you can't improvise a plan b with such a liability stating you in the face it just isn't good enough.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
2 Critical errors here:

1. Keeping Fred on
  2. Going balls to the wall and losing H2H with PSG.

We now have to beat RB Leipzig which completely changes the dynamic.

I'm usually alright with Ole but this was poor from him tonight.

• Fred should have a word
  • Martial should have a word

Awful performances from both.
We dont have to beat Leipzig. Except for winning the group, but a draw sees us through

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I'm going to assume Ole is oblivious to the fact that Fred is a walking red card.

Where the feck are Phelan, Carrick, and co ffs?

90 + 5min

I agree. I love the fact that Ole went for it, instead of going for damage limitation. Fergie would have done the exact same. It will pay off in the long run, I think.

If you look at the way the team worked and gave PSG a proper game... You didn't see that passion and aggression from any of our previous teams under Moyes, LvG and Mou.

Yes, Fred should have been on the bench for the second half. But Ole gambled and credit to him for daring to do so.
Solskjaer should get blame for being little bit naive. I get it. But otherwise, it was propper CL performence and should have got us 3 points if Marital had shootig boots on. Or Rashford had little bit better decision making.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Ole is young and learning. He'll get it right next time.
That is delusional.
You don't learn as you go as manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Fred gets stuck into challenges for the ball, it doesn't take a genius to forsee he was liable to get sent off. In this age when you can make 5 subs it's was unforgivable to leave him on.

OleBoiii

I blame the poor finishing and the ref for making the wrong call(Fred's second yellow was never a yellow).

You can't miss 3-4 sitters against PSG and expect to win.

MikeeMike

Cannot believe Fred was not subbed. Surely at HT anyway. Ironic he walked for a descent tackle. Ole , seriously

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not taking Fred off at half time shows how little Ole trusts in other options, at least defensively.
Looks to be the case doesn't it? I'm thinking aloud here but what exactly was McTominay's role? Couldn't he have done the defensive work, while being supported by VDB, who'd presumably replaced Fred?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Win and we finish 2nd if PSG match our result. It will only be 2-way H2H and PSG’s is superior after that late goal.
PSG are third and we’re top with a better GD. How do PSG win the group if they match our result? I’m a bit confused

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Some positives... some decent play, 20+ minutes when we were very good. Thought Donny looked good when came on.... bit physical at times too, good to see.

Ole will regret not subbing Fred and we/he knows that ... guessing he thought their MF three needed the competitiveness of Fred but the downsides (of leaving him on) were much too great. Mistake that helped decide the result but not only factor.

Some small margins... Cavani hits the bar, Martial hits the floodlights, their 2nd goal (right foot offside?) just goes under De Geas leg. Another night, we draw/win that but coulda, woulda, shoulda?

Martial can just feck off. Never mind skying that chance... just generally, his attitude, his work rate, the negativity he just exudes. Got to be dropped, we've got much better options.

Think Upamecano booked for Leipzig and misses our game. Didn't rate them last time, play like tonight and we'll be fine. Just a shame that we could have helped eliminate PSG.... a horrible team.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Proper calamity showing from us. Missing absolute sitters and then they’re getting ridiculously lucky goals. Then again ours was very lucky. Still, we missed an unreal chance to qualify tonight. A calamity away in Leipzig could be on it’s way.

Can already see the Basel/Wolfsburg/Benfica-esque meltdowns on here.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Can't believe last season people were genuinely arguing that Martial is better than Kane and in some fantasy world where Spurs would offer us a straight swap, they still wouldn't take it.
I introduce you to Martial FC or FC Martial whatever the feck they're called. Its a cult.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
This club in recent times is good at giving hope only to then pull it away and take a gigantic dump on it.

Walters_19_MuFc

We always do it the hard way!

Fine margins tonight. Better team tonight. Unfortunately, we didn't take our chances, which can always lead to being punished at the other end.

It'll go down to the last night but with Leipzig needing to go for it, it sets us up perfectly to counter them like we did against them in the home tie.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 1:1 PSG
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 PSG