EL W Europa League Group L

Partizan 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 24 October 2019

I Am Zlatan

From the reactions across this forum you'd think we were beaten 5-0 with our best team fielded and fully fit. I bet some people in here are actually upset whenever we win - and if we (against all odds admittedly) manage to save a decent spot in the league by the end of this season I'm pretty sure they'll start a protest :lol:
see the problem is, if we’ve been playing good, or at least okay, not many people would have complained about today’s match, but since we have been absolutely terrible, and to get dominated by Partizan (who are not even number one in their league) is unacceptable..

We parked the bus almost the whole second half ffs! We had one shot on target and it came from a PK, we can’t score more than one and no creativity, they could’ve at least equalized..

I am very happy with the win, I really want champions league football next season (which is highly unlikely), this is our best option.

I can’t wait till Ole gets sacked.. can it get worse than this?

people definitely losing their patience, and mainly because there is no improvement, we actually regressed. What’s the point of Ole? What does he offer? Made three good signings (one Mourinho wanted, and another was a good rb last season) and that’s it? Can I make some signings (two obvious ones) and get a job as a manager?

It’s not all Ole’s fault, but he himself is a big problem, I understand he loves the club, we all do, but that doesn’t mean that’s a good enough reason to leave him at a job he can’t do okay at, let alone good. We need to start seeing some improvements at least, I don’t want instant success, I just want some improvements at this point, that’s all.

RG 11

The football at the moment is worse than anything under Mourinho and Van Gaal. Feel sorry for the fans who travel to watch it.
You have a short memory if you think this is worse than LVGs second season. It was mind numbingly boring. At least we do get one off decent counter attacks with Rashford and James these days.

Irish_Red

In the last 5 games, United have managed 6 shots on target. Let that sink in.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
The performances keep getting worse. The bar keeps going lower.

Struggling against random clubs in EL, and 14th place in the league with a quarter of the season gone, while coughing up such poor results with awful football. And we have no quality players left, either. The worst part is, this isn't underperforming, it's on par. A young mediocre squad under an inexperienced mediocre manager.

It'll be a long long time before we're a regular CL team again. It'll be longer before we challenge for the title.

Eric7C

The performances keep getting worse. The bar keeps going lower.

Struggling against random clubs in EL, and 14th place in the league with a quarter of the season gone, while coughing up such poor results with awful football. And we have no quality players left, either. The worst part is, this isn't underperforming, it's on par. A young mediocre squad under an inexperienced mediocre manager.

It'll be a long long time before we're a regular CL team again. It'll be longer before we challenge for the title.
Experienced* mediocre manager; he's been in management for 10 years.

It was a masterclass away European performance according to some here.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We missed, we missed, we had to rely on a penalty yet again, we have a shit squad, we game raised and drew.

Find it weird how some people are desperate to be positive.
Because being negative is cheap and contributes nothing. Its like you think the team we played last night is somehow our first team.

We just had a great game v liverpool with the actual first team squad. But instead you choose to complain thinking its somehow productive?

Siorac

Very good performance, with a weakened team. If there is any future, it will resemble something like this. Great combo of the young lads and old, Mata and Jones did well. Great work by Romero, Wan Bissaka gave us one of the moments of the match with that tackle. Top result. The voters in the caf and the general thread, ffs!
That's terrifying.

Red_Orchestra

Painful to watch, only one shot on target that hit the post by Lingard. We seriously need some help in the attacking department.

Alabaster Codify7

Another dire 90mins of 'football' from a manager who apparently gets the club and is moulding it in his vision.

Terrifying. Bloke is a fraud

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

The modern football fan so desperately wants to be entertained.

We won, that's all that matters. It's a sport not a TV show as the broadcasters would have you believe.

2 decent results on the spin, hopefully we can now gather some momentum and confidence.

BigLebowski007

Yeah, even if it wasn't a great performance it's a first away win since march. And with another winnable away match at Norwich hopefully we can get some momentum finally.

Godfather

To be honest that midfield yesterday was probably the worst I have seen. McTominay is good at running around and putting a shift in but I have yet to see a single good pass forward from him. Garner was just dissapointing.

But still I agree with Scholes. We should be doing much better.

For me though there was no doubt that the Pool game wouldn't change anything. It's exactly the game Ole likes. A nothing to lose game as we were underdogs. Sitting back for 90 mins and trying to break on the counter with our fast players. Completely different game to the one yesterday and to the ones we have to play 90 percent of the time. He has no idea how to coach us when we are controlling the game. Majority of ball possession means no goals for us this season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Mike Phelan had his legs out,arms crossed sat on the bench last night as-if he was watching Corrie on a Wednesday night after a hard days labour. Surprised I didn't see a small table with tea and biscuits on the side. That's our assistant manager.

Last edited:

Godfather

Because being negative is cheap and contributes nothing. Its like you think the team we played last night is somehow our first team.

We just had a great game v liverpool with the actual first team squad. But instead you choose to complain thinking its somehow productive?
Actually being blindly naive and positive despite every evidence that Ole is going nowhere contributes nothing.

Also we didn't have a great game against Pool. We threw away a lead with shithouse tactics in the second half.

Rake

Watching the game now... 30 minutes into the game and Jones is our playmaker... By minute 30 Williams had at least 6 great opportunities to run at their defense from an advance position. Maguire has better passing than all of our midfielders (bar Pogba) but Jones is the one to drive the play.

Bestofthebest

Mike Phelan had his legs out,arms crossed sat on the bench last night as-if he was watching Corrie on a Wednesday night after a hard days labour. Surprised I didn't see a small table with tea and biscuits on the side. That's our assistant manager.
That's pretty much how he played for Utd. Hardly a bundle of energy on the pitch. One of United's underperformers in his time.

To be honest that midfield yesterday was probably the worst I have seen. McTominay is good at running around and putting a shift in but I have yet to see a single good pass forward from him. Garner was just dissapointing.

But still I agree with Scholes. We should be doing much better.

For me though there was no doubt that the Pool game wouldn't change anything. It's exactly the game Ole likes. A nothing to lose game as we were underdogs. Sitting back for 90 mins and trying to break on the counter with our fast players. Completely different game to the one yesterday and to the ones we have to play 90 percent of the time. He has no idea how to coach us when we are controlling the game. Majority of ball possession means no goals for us this season.
It's really starting to grind my gears, I get we don't have a lot of quality with our personnel. But surely we should be able to come up with something tactically to get the team performing better as a whole. You dont need WC players to be able to create a few chances as a team.

BigBebe

My enduring memory of last night was Jones walking forward with the ball whilst the rest of our players stood stock still, usually behind a Partisan player.

It happened again and again

Judas

Open to offers
Garner looked raw, out of his depth and simply not ready. But you'll still have mugs in the match day thread getting annoyed him and other kids aren't playing or on the bench for the next game.

Godfather

It's really starting to grind my gears, I get we don't have a lot of quality with our personnel. But surely we should be able to come up with something tactically to get the team performing better as a whole. You dont need WC players to be able to create a few chances as a team.
I agree. It's what many ignore or simply fail to see.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
And for this particular match, We are supposedly miles ahead of them on paper.

Grobar

Supports
Partizan
Hello everyone! I'm from Serbia, I'm a Partisan fan. After Partizan my favorite club has long been Man united. Yesterday for me and many fans of M United in Serbia was the Festival of Football.

Partizan made us happy with the game while we were disappointed with the game of Man United. Partizan did not take a lot of real opportunities but we have to say that the referee damaged Partizan a lot! What scares me is playing Mancester. This is desperate. Clearly, the biggest problem is the poor choice of players who are brought to the club for the big money they don't deserve. Hopefully that will change.

Last edited by a moderator:

settembrini

It was a bog standard away win in a European group stage match. We played a weak side and got a good result. Yes the attacking was awful but I had zero expectations of anything else. We need better attackers. Having either one of Mata or Lingard in the team is normally bad enough but last night we were subjected to both, that's just cruel.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Although I didn't see the full 90 minutes, I saw enough to know not much has changed. Yes, good result, yes some good performances (Williams, Garner to an extent, Maguire and, for me, Rojo) but no shots on target from open play... how is that anywhere near acceptable from any side let alone United? It's become the normal and its shite

Woodzy

Liverpool game aside, it looks like we don’t even try.

The worst style of football I’ve seen from a United team in my lifetime.

Ole understands the club and its philosophies so it’s all good though, right?

I think like a couple of managers before him, Ole has realised we don’t have the quality to ‘attack, attack, attack’ and we are paying the price with whatever this shit we are getting is instead.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 278 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Partizan win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Partizan 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Partizan 0:1 Man Utd