EL W Europa League Round of 16 1st Leg

Manchester United 4:1 Real Betis

Post-match discussion

Thu, 09 March 2023

AlPistacho

Fantastic performance and great win. Also with fixtures being as they are should be able to rest a few players in the 2nd leg

Red00012

Seen videos of Betis fans punching Stewards

Anyone at the game seen this ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Solid performance, especially in the 2nd half. The sort of response I would expect from ETH after a thrashing, just as earlier in the season following the Brentford game.

Jack-C20

Seen videos of Betis fans punching Stewards

Anyone at the game seen this ?
Yeah Betis fans and United fans were squaring up for ages with just the stewards between them. Then the police got involved and returned the favour to the Betis fans. Was going on for a good ten minutes.

Waynne

Bruno's revenge game. He was like a man possessed.
And why the feck can't he be possessed every game? Same with all the other players.
Why does it need to take a 7-0 drubbing to get the players to show aggression, character and hunger to win regardless of the opposition.

sepulturite

Roberto Carlos was not good now or what? :lol:
I never said that, but what the feck has our situation with Dalot and AWB got to do with a player that retired years ago? There is no player like Roberto Carlos anymore so it moot point

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Delighted with the win. We're finally battering Spanish teams under ETH, which is something we basically never did before even when facing Celta fecking Vigo at Old Trafford.

Stig

Same team picked and have showed their ability to bounce back from Sunday's disasterclass.

Could or should have scored 8 goals against a Betis side in decent form which includes a draw with Real Madrid at the weekend. Only black spots was the goal conceded, how it wasn't a handball i don't know and Degea awful distribution 1st half
The lady in the BT studio explained the rule.

jackal&hyde

I never said that, but what the feck has our situation with Dalot and AWB got to do with a player that retired years ago? There is no player like Roberto Carlos anymore so it moot point
Then stop spamming my posts already Jesus. He is decent I've said on his thread but you keep wanting to make him look like Cafu or something. He is good ok?

sepulturite

Then stop spamming my posts already Jesus. He is decent I've said on his thread but you keep wanting to make him look like Cafu or something. He is good ok?
Spamming your posts :lol: it's a discussion forum mate, get over it.

Stig

I was hoping for a two-goal lead going into next week, so this is very nice. Now we can surely rest players and park the bus in Spain.

But, annoying that their goal was set up by a handball. Don't really understand why that's not getting disallowed.
The lady in the BT studio explained why it wasn't hand ball.

Last edited:

Moriarty

I'll have to watch the highlights because I couldn't get a live broadcast. However, it's nice to see that Liverpool result banished from the front page of the site.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
And why the feck can't he be possessed every game? Same with all the other players.
Why does it need to take a 7-0 drubbing to get the players to show aggression, character and hunger to win regardless of the opposition.
To be fair we won 16 out of the last 20 matches before last Sunday. And I think we showed aggression, character and hunger in all those matches.

Robbie Boy

Should have had 7. A far jammier team would definitely had all the luck in the world and gotten 7.

Paul_Scholes18

If say we had got a 1-1 draw vs Liverpool this season would have been feeling so amazing right now.

That defeat hurt, but we are bookies favorites to win europa league and given we will 100% go for it with Arsenal resting players for the league I think that make sense.

stu_1992

Very good result to take to thr second leg. First half was a bit meh after our goal and I did worry for a second that we'd let the game get away from us. Thankfully the second half brought a renewed focus, as it so often does, a d we ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Great finish by Rashford in the first goal. Antony got the best version of the goal we all know he's capable of. Fernandes had a powerful header, but despite being the worst of the lot technique wise, I have to say I'm most happy for Weghorst to finally score. Especially after spurning many good opportunities!

Canuckred64

Must have been some second half, went into a meeting at half time at 1-1 feeling worried and come out and it's 4-1. Maybe I shoukd have more Half time meetings.

Great result makes almost forget last weekends debacle

Paul_Scholes18

Should have had 7. A far jammier team would definitely had all the luck in the world and gotten 7.
3 goals should see is through I think. We need to go best team though, but can take players off like Rashford if we are far ahead.

People talked about us not being fresh, but second half we showed great energy. A lot of football is mental and us bouncing back is a good sign.

I think Weghorst can get a rest on sunday and start Pellistri possibly he did well when coming on or start Sancho/Garnacho.

Robbie Boy

3 goals should see is through I think. We need to go best team though, but can take players off like Rashford if we are far ahead.

People talked about us not being fresh, but second half we showed great energy. A lot of football is mental and us bouncing back is a good sign.

I think Weghorst can get a rest on sunday and start Pellistri possibly he did well when coming on or start Sancho/Garnacho.
I genuinely thought we anhilated them second half. We should really have had 5 or 6, but I think the 3 goal cushion will be enough. I didn't want that second half to end!

Rusholme Ruffian

Stig

Huh, why was their equaliser not ruled out for handball?
The laws of the game state that if there was an accidental handball in the lead-up, and not by the goalscorer, then the strike stands

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I really enjoyed that. Second half was as good a 45 as we've played in ages. Could have had 8. Narrative will probably be this lot are shite but that was proper front foot, aggressive, attacking football. I'd have Wan Bissaka as starter from now on, find more minutes for Pellestri and edge the admittedly likeable Wout out of there. Although Bruno was fantastic where he was played tonight. And yeah, maybe it's time to be looking beyond de Gea.

SuperiorXI

Half decent first half excluding the De Gea clangers. I think the 7-0 followed him mentally into this game. He was really nervy and it was affecting our defensive cohesion. Great goal smashed in by Rashford, he just can't stop scoring. We then created some chances and got punished by a mistake, can happen.

Second half we were a different proposition entirely. Created chance after chance and did not let in. These past years we usually take our foot off the gas; it wasn't the case tonight, it was a real onslaught.

Special mention to Wan Bissaka, he did an excellent job when he came on and transformed our threat from his side. If he wasn't already, he's certainly ahead of Dalot now. Pellistri had a great cameo. What he did for the goal felt like it happened in slow motion from the Stretford End. Very happy for Weghorst: the greatest player of all time.

JagUTD

Hopefully we can put another 9 game unbeaten run together. Seems to be how we respond to a defeat

JagUTD

And De Gea getting a lot of stick after this game. He made 1 howler which was entirely on him with the pass to a Betis player, but harsh to blame him for their goal and Dalot was more at fault for the one earlier in the game.

He didn't really have much to do overall. Shakey in the first half but so we're quite a few and could have taken the second half off.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 272 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Betis win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Real Betis
  • 16% Man Utd 3:0 Real Betis