SC L UEFA Super Cup

Real Madrid 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 August 2017

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Matic looked the 'real deal' last night and its against such quality opponents you can make worthwhile judgements.
Apart from Degea, Fellaini (when he came on) Myki when he came inside last twenty minutes, and Valencia first half, the rest look only average and some less than that. We need a 'big game' player to lead the line and Lukaku is struggling just now.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Matic looked the 'real deal' last night and its against such quality opponents you can make worthwhile judgements.
Apart from Degea, Fellaini (when he came on) Myki when he came inside last twenty minutes, and Valencia first half, the rest look only average and some less than that. We need a 'big game' player to lead the line and Lukaku is struggling just now.
Totally agree. Based on this one match, Matic is our best player by a fair distance. I really wish Pogba and Mikhi could keep the ball as well as Matic.

cheeky_backheel

Was not at the same level and the main reason we looked better in the 2nd half was cos fatigue was setting in for Madrid (they are 2 weeks away from start of the season and while we are closer to being match fit)

Team still needs at least one top quality player in the final third who the attack can revolve around.

Without regular service, Lukaku was MIA

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The only thing that legit pissed me off last night was starting Lingard.
yeah, fair dos...I agree
It wasn't a total shock because of his record in cup finals and the fact Jose obviously sees him as a big game player. The performance was, of course, disappointing.

I find it hard to get too upset at Jose showing favouritism towards Lingard and Rashford, though. As soon as he took the job people started freaking out about how he'd put an end to our tradition of relying on local, homegrown talent. It seems ironic now that he gets so much shit for favouring these two over expensive imports. There's obviously a balance to be struck but any counter-point to the the whole galactico project we seem to be turning into, post-Fergie, is ok with me.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Agree with most of this and think that Bailly was sorely missed. He is a lot sharper and possible could have prevented both their goals which were due to lack of concentration by the central defenders. Matic was at their level at least and is a tiger. Ramos was at his cheating best and I hope I see the day that he gets his deserts. As a whole Real are a team of cheats, diving and feigning all over the place. I look forward to playing them again as I think we can boss them if all players turn up. Unusually, Hererra went missing, I didn't think he was playing for a long time and Pogba was in one of his mindless roles. Lindgard is too light weight against stronger teams. Fellaini turned the game round to our favour and I'm beginning to think his detractors are being petty against him for things that are nothing to do with football because he does that well.
LOL. I don't think we will every be able to boss this Real team. RM right now is probably as good as Barca during Xavi prime years. In other words, one of the best sides ever.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Will people stop stressing. If we are not good against West Ham people can worry a bit, but even then it is the first game. Chelsea lost early on and won the league. If we are out of contention at Christmas then people can start asking questions. The season hasn't even kicked off yet.

Djemba-Djemba

It wasn't a total shock because of his record in cup finals and the fact Jose obviously sees him as a big game player. The performance was, of course, disappointing.

I find it hard to get too upset at Jose showing favouritism towards Lingard and Rashford, though. As soon as he took the job people started freaking out about how he'd put an end to our tradition of relying on local, homegrown talent. It seems ironic now that he gets so much shit for favouring these two over expensive imports. There's obviously a balance to be struck but any counter-point to the the whole galactico project we seem to be turning into, post-Fergie, is ok with me.
I think it's different scenarios with Rashford and Lingard though. Rashford is a great young player with loads of potential.

Both are local lads who clearly love the club, but the key difference is Lingard just isn't good enough. Last night was probably the archetypal Lingard performance where he's subbed off early and you sit there thinking " Did he do anything at all in that game?"

Maybe it's because Jose knows how much importance we place on local youth players that he thinks he has to persist with Lingard?

Rusholme Ruffian

Yep, accepted.

I think for me the Lingard role is the one area of the team (apart from left-back) where I'm not completely on board with what Mourinho is trying to do. I'm hoping that with another attacking signing (and Martial developing) we may get to the point where Lingard is a valuable squad player who can be brought in for specific games to do a designated job, rather than a starter more often than not.

Robin Your Persie

In cup finals when the opposition is Southampton and Palace you can rely on him to do a good job, but when the opposition is the elite of Europe he's out of his depth.

ike

Think it's pretty harsh to think that Lingards poor performance resulted in our loss.

The main difference between us and Madrid is they play like a team where as we still look like a bunch of individuals. We will get there, especially if Mou is given enough time.

leontas

Negative first half and I expect to see a repeat of that performance multiple times over the course of the season against the big teams. We seriously lack width in our attacks and I think we should reconsider our formation to one which takes advantage of the players in our squad. For example, it's quite obvious that Mkhi only excels in a more central role rather than on the right wing.

Having followed our pre-season, the only match where I actually enjoyed watching us play was the first half vs City. All the other games, we seemed a little out of sync and I truly hope that we're able to improve attacking wise but it just doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen so far. I'm also a little worried by Lindelof but I'll reserve judgment until halfway through the season - the kid looks scared still.

RedDevil@84

We were miles behind Real in quality was anyways evident before the match.

I think my main concern about yesterday's match was how easily we conceded possession even with minimal pressure from opposition. And I dont think having Martial or anyone else would have helped us to do much better.
Secondly, Pogba was pretty average or below in another big match. Either he is too excited/anxious when big matches come or this is his level against big teams. I am not sure. Having Matic is supposed to help Pogba, but if he goes AWOL, it ll be a matter of concern.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think it's different scenarios with Rashford and Lingard though. Rashford is a great young player with loads of potential.

Both are local lads who clearly love the club, but the key difference is Lingard just isn't good enough. Last night was probably the archetypal Lingard performance where he's subbed off early and you sit there thinking " Did he do anything at all in that game?"

Maybe it's because Jose knows how much importance we place on local youth players that he thinks he has to persist with Lingard?
That's definitely possible.

RooneyLegend

Not 'outclassed' by any means but I didn't had the feeling that Bayern was their equal.
Really? even after pushing them to extra time in the second leg after winning the match in regulation time despite playing a substantial amount of time with 10 men?

RooneyLegend

No my laughter is you considering we are on the same level as Barca and Bayern. Why can't people understand we have progress to make?
it's obvious we aren't on the level, but we're supposed to be. All this slow progress is due to poor management over the years, nothing else. I've never seen United fans being so defeatist, acting as though its acceptable to play such poor football and waxing lyrical about a season where we finished 6th and won a couple of B class trophies. When Bayern got spanked by Barca in 09 they put things in place so they could compete with them, a couple of seasons later they could. Same thing happened to Madrid after the 6-2. No surprise those clubs have been leading European football for such a long time. Us on the other hand spend our time talking about cycles and how some teams are too good. That is no way for the richest club in the world to act.

SqueakyWeasel

I will never understand why so many people disregard Supercup or Charity Shield. In most countries it's a proper trophy.
Totally agree! It's a result-based conclusion. Win and of course it's important; lose and it was a good run-out for the boys and let's wait for the proper stuff to start - as if the players could have won last night but we're holding something back for West Ham.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Will people stop stressing. If we are not good against West Ham people can worry a bit, but even then it is the first game. Chelsea lost early on and won the league. If we are out of contention at Christmas then people can start asking questions. The season hasn't even kicked off yet.
If we look out of sync for scoring enough goals it will be a continuation of last season and people have a legit reason to stress out about that.

Not much has changed to adress our failing attack except replacing Zlatan with Lukaku. If people feel our other forwards are still as shit as they were last season than they are right to be worried.

Currently feels like it will be a repeat of last season. We look like a capable team, strong, fit, well organised but we lack creativity and sharpness in front of goal. If we had it, we would have won last night for sure. We lacked it all throughout last season as well and given the fact we haven't signed new attackers (except Lukaku) I do think the scenario of repeating our mistakes from last year is very likely. Not much seems to have changed, which is a pitty.

MadMike

Fully agree. We're all for giving youngsters and local players chances to prove themselves... so long as they are showing considerable promise. Hence the difference in the treatment of Rashford and Lingard as you pointed out.

In any case Lingard is 25 now (?) and in all his time here he has failed to show quality that justifies him being picked ahead of other players to face probably the best club team of the decade. His substitution at half time seemed inevitable.

I don't blame or dislike the lad. He has simply hit his ceiling which is decent for a squad player but not good enough for staring XI against such opposition. His substitution at half time was one of those things that recur and make you want to ask of Jose "what were you thinking"?

ike

We obviously have loads of work to do. There are still a few square pegs in round holes and players that need to step up.
I'm hoping Jose is ruthless in his player management this season.

My big concern is we still don't look the least bit fluid in attack. OK we've added a new striker but I still see the same lack of service and problems we had last season.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I think overall our performance was quite similar to the one I expected. We raised the game and gave them a fight, but we lacked like we have quality in the final third.

Real Madrid though did raise the game as well. They are such a great team and they have the wining mentality to edge it when needed. They are the best team in the world no doubt and won Champions league now 2 seasons in a row.

We should be disappointed about loosing a big final, but I don't think this game tell us much about how we will do in the league. No team in the PL is at Reals level and I think performing like today and we will do well in the big games in the PL.
Like Ferguson's teams.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
United needs a leader and everybody tough that leader was Pogba, they got that one wrong and this year he needs to step up or he will be the biggest flop in the PL.
Saying he's a flop is ridiculous but I do agree Pogba hasn't had the impact some of us thought he would. He's been very good but he's not a leader.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Negative first half and I expect to see a repeat of that performance multiple times over the course of the season against the big teams. We seriously lack width in our attacks and I think we should reconsider our formation to one which takes advantage of the players in our squad. For example, it's quite obvious that Mkhi only excels in a more central role rather than on the right wing.

Having followed our pre-season, the only match where I actually enjoyed watching us play was the first half vs City. All the other games, we seemed a little out of sync and I truly hope that we're able to improve attacking wise but it just doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen so far. I'm also a little worried by Lindelof but I'll reserve judgment until halfway through the season - the kid looks scared still.
I rarely agree with Alan Pardew but he said that Lindelof 'didn't put any personality on the pitch'. That sums his performance last night up pretty well.

Trophy Room

I was happy that we competed especially in the second half. We were outclassed in the first. Gulf in quality is quite apparent. We improved when Fellaini came in and as a whole just became more aggressive. Quite impressed with Matic. Pogba was meh but had his moments.

No idea why Martial didn't play especially considering Real looked most vulnerable when we were running at them or in behind. He is the most talented forward at the club and the only one imo that has the ability to beat players consistently. I also think he's more clinical than Rashford. He'll leave soon and be a success somewhere else. Victim of Mourinho and thats a huge shame for us. Rashford will always be ahead in Mourinho's eyes given his perceived 'work ethic.' I don't know why we can't play both.

Mourinho was slightly cowardice in that he reverted to his tried and tested methods even when we were behind. He's set in his ways, it'll bring us success imo but against bigger teams we will often be perceived as being 'outplayed' in footballing terms but that doesn't mean we won't win those games.

On the whole we have clearly improved as a team but there is still something missing. Lets see what the season brings.

Rusholme Ruffian

United needs a leader and everybody tough that leader was Pogba, they got that one wrong and this year he needs to step up or he will be the biggest flop in the PL.
I'm not sure anybody expected Pogba to be a leader straight away. He was very much the junior partner at Juve and is still young. He has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders and hopefully he'll grow into it.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I thinkMatric is going to prove to be the best buy of the season. I would start Martial on the left wing before Lingard if we had a really sound left back - Rose? A fit Shaw?

Stacks

Relax Rusholme, this is a discussion forum, one should share opinion. Not necessarily moaners, just observations. I'm looking forward to the season, I just feel we have a few players who need to step up. Mata, lindgaard, Martial, Mikhi... be great if they could get say, eight PREMIERSHIP goals each right? they all have that ability, just application for me. None of them tackle for toffee....
Every attacking player cant bag near double figures in the league. One can only expect that from those who play 1st team for the majority.

Havak

Pokemon master
Some good performances, namely Matic, Fellaini, and Smalling. I thought we were OK, had to expect to lose that kind of game unless we got everything right. Shows where we are at and I think we'll do well this season.

Dave46

Thank you.

Dave46

Most games should be played at 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1. Jose's 4-3-3 is too defensive and lacks proper fullbacks, see Real Madrid, to be an effective goal scoring system. Miki is lost under 4-3-3, so is Mata.

Pat Evra

This was first United game I attended in my life, so I can't say anything bad. :D

On serious note, there should be no overreaction on this game. It's still beginning of the season and Real Madrid is obviously very dominant team at this time.

It was entertaining match and there were many positive things for United, as well. Darmian and Smalling were surprisingly good, Matić and Miki also had a good game. Anyway, on sunday is real thing and focus is now there.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 623 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Real Madrid 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Real Madrid 2:1 Man Utd