SC L UEFA Super Cup

Real Madrid 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 August 2017

markhrad

We clearly played against a better team, however, that is partially due to the fact that they have been playing together as a unit far longer than our players.
Also it seemed, especially in the first half, that every time we got the ball we headed straight into attack and most times ended up losing possession while real Madrid was far more patient and just kept possession waiting for an opening.
This again could be due to them knowing each other better.
Anyway I like most was impressed by Matic and a little disappointed with Pogba. This was the game where I thought Pogba would show his class. I would not be surprised that it is Matic that is given more freedom until Pogba gets his act together.
Lingard has great spirit and Rashford has great potential but unfortunately they are not good enough. I was disappointed that Martial did not get a game, against a superior team sometimes it takes an individual effort to defeat them. Martial, Pogba and Mikhi to a lesser extent are the only players that we have that can get the ball, dribble past defenders and score on their own. Jose should have given him at least 10 minutes to try something or bring on Mata who may have been able to sneak in the box and tap one in.
All in all we are going to need more time for our players to gel and we need at least one attacking player that can link up well with Lukaku. I can only remember one instance of him and Mikhi playing a one-two.

tomaldinho1

The Kroos - Modric tandem is just too good with Casemiro behind. They are better in general than us but they keep the ball so well and have so much more movement off the ball than us that we were always facing an uphill battle.

Maybe it's a Premier League thing but our attacking runs are always very direct - looking for a ball over the top for a Rashford or Lukaku - and we have no slick interchanges or guile in how we put players in. The one moment that I thought was very nice was Mkhi's pass for Rashford's one on one - great build up and not just a hoof over the top for him to chase but a clever ball to get him immediately into a one on one.

At the end of the day it's pre season, we won't face any team as good as them in the PL and we lost to an offside goal. Not great, not awful...just like Fellaini

Ban

Pep has taken it forward , zidane is playing absolutely the same , same with bayern barcelona city and hate to say it but also liverpool.

How hard it is to play from the back? to pass it sideways and back wards in a high press? to put creative widemen on the wings ?

Lumping it long everytime when one should create? keeping creative players on the bench? Drop deep rather than pressing high is asking for trouble against those sides.
Look. Saying LVG laid any foundations at our club is nonsense. That's all I'm saying.

OldTrevil

Good warm up, could have been great with a win but I hope the boys get extra motivation for the first match of the season.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It's that kind of performance we are used to against big teams in recent years. We are not able to keep possesion or create a nice game to watch, I know it's our first game, but then again I know this is going to happen again in the Premier League or CL. Gutted we couldn't get more out of it since we had our chances to score.

Then again, the thing that got in my mind and made me angry, like really angry is that Jose gave his silver medal to fans. This is not Chelsea, this is the biggest club in the world and you shouldn't be allowed to do that. He has to accept that he hasn't won it and he has to accept that he's not bigger then the club here, he has to take that medal and stand behind his teams performance. The club should fine him.
Wut?!?

prtk0811

FFS VG era was shit stop mentioning him. Mourinho had to break it. If Vg was any good he would have still been here
I am talking about the principles of his ball circulation, jeez, which needs just some tinkering to dominate every other team .

We had to build on it and not break it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's that kind of performance we are used to against big teams in recent years. We are not able to keep possesion or create a nice game to watch, I know it's our first game, but then again I know this is going to happen again in the Premier League or CL. Gutted we couldn't get more out of it since we had our chances to score.

Then again, the thing that got in my mind and made me angry, like really angry is that Jose gave his silver medal to fans. This is not Chelsea, this is the biggest club in the world and you shouldn't be allowed to do that. He has to accept that he hasn't won it and he has to accept that he's not bigger then the club here, he has to take that medal and stand behind his teams performance. The club should fine him.
Proof that speaking your mind is not always a good thing.

The Bloody-Nine

I'm not sure you guys realise what happend there, you can't just throw it away like that. I know that guy that has his medal now feels like happiest man alive, but for real, why did he do that? Trying to make it like it never happend? Cover the truth that you lost the final?
He gave away a Premier League winners medal. He gives his medals away all the time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We're still a way from being a real top team, but we should have enough for a good fist of the CL. We're not good enough individually or collectively to touch the top sides in Europe yet though. At least one top winger and left back away from going up a level, but that's just the personnel. You do get the impression watching Real tonight that even a couple of better players wouldn't see us play football like them. We need time and Jose needs to do his thing.

Lastwolf

I'm not sure you guys realise what happend there, you can't just throw it away like that. I know that guy that has his medal now feels like happiest man alive, but for real, why did he do that? Trying to make it like it never happend? Cover the truth that you lost the final?
He always does it, who cares about a medal?

Win lose or draw it's on the next tournament.

Djemba-Djemba

You want us to fine Jose for giving away his Super Cup runners up medal?

Why would we do that though? It's in no way a big deal.

legball

I'm only interested in knowing what Lingard offers, because it's genuinely baffling, he shouldn't be starting for a club with ambitions. At least Fellaini wins balls, makes a nuisance of himself and had a hand in the goal, but what does Lingard offer? He doesn't score enough, doesn't assist, doesn't create, it's a myth that he's solid defensively, sprints around a lot, but what else does he do, and why does he start when we have better players in this team? I actually like Lingard, but as a footballer, what does he offer us that other players lack or that we can't do without?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Didn't disgrace ourselves. Madrid obviously deserved to win, we had our chances though. How Lukaku is missing that open goal i don't know, and Rashford had a glorious chance to pull it back to 2-2 - poor finishing/decent save by the keeper.

The last 20 minutes of the game i thought we actually played really well. Matic was superb but Pogba was really poor, imo. We showed, in glimpses, that we can duke it out with the best, but ultimately Madrid did show their class and are a cut above us at the moment; obviously no surprises there.

Mike09

If people watch the whole game, you should know it was a poor game for us. The midfield and the wingers can't pass the ball properly and keep losing the ball. Lukaku's off the ball movement was poor as well. We only looked dangerous when the game is already over with 2-0 down. I think we need to change the system and play Lukaku and Rashford together up front. We don't have quality wingers or wide players and shouldn't play 3 up front.

serxyo

He always does it, who cares about a medal?

Win lose or draw it's on the next tournament.
You want us to fine Jose for giving away his Super Cup runners up medal?

Why would we do that though? It's in no way a big deal.
If you are not able to accept that you were defeated and throw away a medal, you shouldn't keep a medal when you win. Doesn't that sound like if you can't support us when we loose or draw, don't support us when we win? I think it does. He should've taken that medal.

The Bloody-Nine

I am talking about the principles of his ball circulation, jeez, which needs just some tinkering to dominate every other team .

We had to build on it and not break it.
No, we didn't. It was the worst 'football' I've ever had the misfortune of witnessing in over 30 years. We had to get rid of LVG and thank christ, we did.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If we watch the whole game, it was a poor game for us. The midfield and the wingers can't pass the ball properly and keep losing the ball. Lukaku's off the ball movement was poor as well. We only looked dangerous when the game is already over with 2-0 down. I think we need to change the system and play Lukaku and Rashford together up front. We don't have quality wingers or wide players and shouldn't play 3 up front.
Agreed. Seemed we were approaching this more with a pre-season mentality than an actual cup game. Agree with Lukaku and Rashers playing together. Hopefully Mou feels the same.

prtk0811

Look. Saying LVG laid any foundations at our club is nonsense. That's all I'm saying.
No definately not, His style needed upgrade in posession that's it, Ignoring the total footballing principles means swimming against the tide.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Not a bad night's work. This Madrid outfit have schooled most of Europe in the past three seasons, most recently a really strong Juventus side in the Champions League. We had some bright moments and some moments we need to work harder on.

Overall, I think Mourinho will be content. Plenty of positive signs there to work with.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Watch the game, I still don't understand why Lingard is allow to start at United. For me, he is just someone who start from bench. I heard some people say Pogba played well, I don't really think so for his price tag. I hope Mata start in European game, I like his ability to find pocket of space and influence the game. Matic player well for his 2nd game. We really need a winger, Ed needs to get Jose's winger.

Acole9

Outstanding
This match had a real exhibition feel about it. No need to get hysterical about it, we played the best team in the world right now who are going through a cycle similar to the one we saw from Barcelona a few years back.

I think some of our fans are still stuck in the SAF days thinking we can match anyone. We're aspiring to be at that level again but there's still plenty of work to do. I think we're still two possibly three players short of that.

There was definitely positives to take from tonight, the fact we played 4-3-3 was a surprise, I genuinely thought it would be three at the back. I think we should've made the most of our third substitution and brought on Martial.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I'm not sure you realize what happened here. How ffs would giving a medal make it like this never happened or him trying to cover the truth? He will always be judged based on performances and that's it.

Maybe he wanted to make some fan happy because we lost a final?

prtk0811

No, we didn't. It was the worst 'football' I've ever had the misfortune of witnessing in over 30 years. We had to get rid of LVG and thank christ, we did.
Madrid dominated tonight in posession and attack because of the same principles, and won last 3 of 4 ucl's and barcelona the rest followed by bayern.

We can not reach those levels with ignoring those principles in ball circulation. And then people say we are not as good as x y z is just hilarious when they argue against those same principles .

Home&Away

There was nothing good about what the two eyes could see, so these mentalists came up with 'foundations' which were somehow going to make us look good in 5 years no matter how shite it made us look at present
Mate just because you and the others don't see football in a certain way doesn't mean the rest is blind. I could say the same to you.

Check the YouTube video on balague on LVG when he was here.

LVG's game was built purely on possession and positioning which is important no matter what formation you play.

This stuff needs to be taken forward. I totally understand if you don't get it - not everybody understands science so understanding a science of football might be a tad hard.

Ban

No definately not, His style needed upgrade in posession that's it, Ignoring the total footballing principles means swimming against the tide.
No. His style didn't need any upgrade. His style was to bore all of us deadly and not to shot on goal at any cost. That isn't a style. That's horrible.

The Bloody-Nine

Madrid dominated tonight in posession and attack because of the same principles, and won last 3 of 4 ucl's and barcelona the rest followed by bayern.

We can not reach those levels with ignoring those principles in ball circulation. And then people say we are not as good as x y z is just hilarious.
Madrid also had a lot of shots on goal. Under LVG, we routinely had none.

Ban

Mate just because you and the others don't see football in a certain way doesn't mean the rest is blind. I could say the same to you.

LVG's game was built purely on possession and positioning which is important no matter what formation you play.

This stuff needs to be taken forward. I totally understand if you don't get it - not everybody understands science so understanding a science of football might be a tad hard.
Or philosphy? Maybe we dont understand football philosophy either? Of every player occupying some area on the pitch and not moving.

wolvored

We need creative Wingers.
I agree. Miki Rashford Martial and Mata, although decent players at times are not te answer out wide. We either need another Valencia on the left, or buy two proper wingers, or at least a LW. Bale or even Perisic would be ideal, unfortunately wont happen. Have we any youth that could be brought forward. How about Mitchell being given a chance? Shaw is too injury prone to leave it all on his shoulders

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If Real don't stop having longer vacations then everyone else they could lose alot of titles in this time of the year. luckily last year they played a team who sold to many players and bought new ones in Sevilla and they also start pre-season really late hence you could argue fitness was pretty much the same.

They are also lucky that Barca have started the pre-season late and always do but just imagine if Barca is in fitness and form? They could trash Real madrid like they did back in 2015 with 4-0.

Even without Neymar but I do reckon barca losing Neymar was a huge boost for everyone in the UCL.

Real madrid lost to MLS-allstars in pre-season that was the lowest they hit that people and most of their fans actully had Man utd as favorite to win this match.. That is how bad their match fitness was going into this match
Very interesting!

fellaini's barber

:lol: oh its science now, I thought it was filosophee. Are you talking about that picture where all the players were gathered around the centre of the pitch before a goal kick which someone once posted here as some sign of LVG genius? I forget the name of one utter LVG maniac who kept posting shit like this during LVG's time here and threatened to leave when LVG was sacked, someone please remind me

prtk0811

Madrid also had a lot of shots on goal. Under LVG, we routinely had none.
I said we needed improvement on those principles in posession, but the basic idea of positioning and press and creativity is the same.

While reactive counter attacking football you need to be absolutely resolute in defending and deadly on the counter which we dont have the players for even with this amount of spend.

AshRK

I don't mind the result today. We played decent and showed we can compete with the big dogs. Once this team is settled,it will do a solid job against top sides. My worry is lack of trust shown to martial. It was shocking actually. Like what was jose thinking. If I were martial, i would be super gutted. He should trust martial.more and stop this obsession with lingard.

Apart from.that not much to complain. We will improve under jose for sure.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 623 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Real Madrid 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Real Madrid 2:1 Man Utd