EL L Europa League Group E

Manchester United 0:1 Real Sociedad

Post-match discussion

Thu, 08 September 2022

AmanNits04

Refree was very poor, poor call for the pen and Sociedad kept getting away with their fouls, awful refereeing

Godfather

Boring football. Seems we continue our tradition of having no idea what to do when we are supposed to dominate teams

Swedish_Plumber

Most of them were absolute shite. Think Elanga was about the only one that showed anything resembling promise.

There are players there that shouldn’t play for United again (after the shite they served up last year). And the depressing part is they will have to. Reverted back to last season in level of performance.

Mike Smalling

No energy and squad deficiencies cost us that game.

Ronaldo awful, and when Eriksen got taken off, we lacked all composure in midfield. We will be very reliant on our strongest eleven going forward, and even that will not have enough goals.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If the players can show that one setback no longer equates to weeks/months of shite, it will be worth it.

CarbonStoolBites

Took me back to Ralf days, we were shit.
Credit to Real Sociedad, they played well, very organized and smart, men against boys.

Put 20 English teams and 20 Spanish team in the same league and the Spanish teams would do miles better, always been the case and always will be.

Having said that, we should beating them at home.

El Zoido

Was an even game, should have finished 0-0 cause the penalty decision was scandalous.

Telsim

No words... Instantly exposed when we can't counter teams to death.

joedirt87

Bizarre penalty call and VAR decision, but at best this team is taking a point off that game. Just useless around goal and there were chances to be had, more in that first half I think. Should give ETH a lot to think about because there will be lots of games like this in the Prem, bad ref decisions included.

eire-red

Martinez is the heartbeat of this team. Maguire and Lindelof don't have a pulse between them.

Shocking decision for the penalty, but more evidence that ETH is doing the right thing in dropping the deadwood that was dragging us down last season.

DevilRed

Play the same shit birds and you get the same results.

Lindelof was a fecking travesty especially at right back. Maguire just so slow at progressing the ball.

Fred just takes the cake. Lost count how many times he gives the ball away and he is just absolutely shit on the ball. Should have been punted out this club years ago. Massive weak link in the team.

Ronaldo and Elanga poor too. Just no cutting edge and wasteful of chances.

I think ETH now understands we can’t play more than 1 of those legacy players that are so terribly shit.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Terrible decision on the penalty, but we didn't deserve anything from this.

Hard to really care about it. I just can't get excited about the Europa League.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Shocking performance. Couldn’t string two passes together, no speed, no creativity. Ronaldo should not be starting. Fred had an absolute howler and it was never a penalty. So much work to do.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We were poor in the last third but still shouldn’t have lost. Worst ref decision against us since that Rafael one v Leicester.

always_hoping

Would have been 0-0 just like the February encounter last year but for dodgy officials somehow awarded that penalty.

United didn't deserve to win or score tonight against mediocre Spanish opposition the lack of strength in depth and why United find themselves in the Europa league was clear to be seen in that game.

Red_Aaron

Wasn't a great performance but we were still the better side

Baffling penalty, genuinely baffled how that's given with VAR in operation

Not too bothered, good minutes for some fringe players.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not bad not good. I expected about this level of performance against a Spanish side.
A bit worrying we lost our heads in the last 20mins, they were for the taking.

theatreofdreams777

This felt like the derby game against Manchester City at OT in 07/08 season. It was the 50th anniversary of the Munich tragedy and the occasion had gotten to the players.

Even though we had the best team in the world at the time, we had lost that game. I don't know how much our players cared about the Queen's death, but it seemed like they were a bit effected & Old Trafford was so silent too in this game.

Also, I don't blame either of Maguire or Lindelöf for the defeat but seeing them in our back 4 feels awful I must say. Reminded me Ole era.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Irrational.

Feck this ref and VAR. Sociedad are a nothing team that did nothing all game. Absolutely screwed us out of getting anything. Bunch of cnuts and cowards.

Performance wasn’t great, but this is why this is our second string. We deserved at least a point if it wasn’t for these incompetent fecktards.

Things I have learnt:

Ronaldo is finished
Casemiro looks like Schweinsteiger Mk II which was our main concern this summer
Maguire and Lindelof still not good enough to start for us
We missed Rashford’s pace running in behind

RedIan

Poor lack lustre performance. Its clear a team with Ronaldo Maguire Lindelof and Fred doesnt have the bite and we slipped back to mediocrity.

PSV

Time to cut Old McRonald loose. Offers nothing. Completely unfazed.

It starts at the back as well. Spanish dynamite offers so much more than IKEA McFridge.

R'hllor

Refs not knowing rules it seems but overall this is our level in Europe, we aint for better.

Torbalan

Next time when we play with a proper striker and without Maguire we'll look much better. It was an experimental team, don't take this performance seriously.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Brought back to earth. Now people know why McT starts over Casemiro and why Dalot is so important to us. Totally killed the game.

Matt007a

Obviously the penalty decision was terrible but we really lacked any cutting edge. Didn’t look much like scoring at all. Ronaldo was so poor tonight and when Eriksen went off we got much worse. Martinez was brilliant again and to be fair we never looked much like conceding.

Still a work in progress.

BorisManUtd

Had a 0-0 written all over it but that shocking decision gave them the win.

5th time we're playing Europa since Fergie retired. Won it once, lost in final once and lost in semis once. Boring to play it yet again.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Rubbish. I'm not worried as changes were made but food for thought for Erik who may have been starting to think we have a decent squad before tonight. Scratch below and there's poor, out of form players.

OneUnited24

goal wasn’t his fault but maguire is so bad in possession. So many times he slows the game down trying to get it out of his feet. So poor.

Hopefully EtH sees how much better we play when he’s not in the team

FatTails

Didn’t watch the game unfortunately, but I predicted a draw. Just don’t trust our bench so any number of changes drop the quality pretty quickly.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I thought we were clearly better than them, our final ball/passing in the final third was poor, as was our finishing. Additionally, I thought we didn't use the middle enough going forward. RS left us plenty of space there which we didn't utilize as much as we could have.

Real Socieded disappointed me, they offered hardly anything and benefited from a horrific penalty decision. If you are gonna be that quick to call that a penalty, the foul on Ronaldo should've been one as well.

Casemiro disappointed me, at least when he had the ball at his feet.

I don't know if Ronaldo struggles to motivate himself or is just degressing but I felt in the past he would've buried one of those chances he had.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Horrible decision but we created nothing. Guess this defeat isnt that unearned

Lee565

Our record against Spanish sides is awful, highlights how technically inferior we have been for decades compared to the Spanish sides

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Real Sociedad
  • 24% Man Utd 2:1 Real Sociedad