EL L Europa League Group E

Manchester United 0:1 Real Sociedad

Post-match discussion

Thu, 08 September 2022

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We were awful but the whole spine of the team was changed. Magurire and Lindelof were awful in CB. Fred was awful in MF/10 and ronaldo was awful as a striker. Dalot then wasnt trying.

Ronaldo is finished though.

captaincantona

To be expected with the changes. A few thoughts…

Maguire - slows everything down
Lindelof - was actually ok but slowed things down
Eriksen - was controlling things …lost control once he went off.
Bruno - played too high.
Ronaldo - Really just not up to it
Casemiro - unfit by the looks of things
Sancho - needs a slap
Antony - not fit and needs to toughen up
Fred - needs games

Martinez, Malacia, Elanga …grand

everyone looked knackered after half time

DevilRed

Disjointed performance yet again because these guys always look like strangers playing together for the first time unless they see given regular minutes.

So tired of shit like fred and victor lindelof. Such massive weak links in the team and sociedad had no issues pressing us all game and causing us to pass backwards. When Eriksen went off we were just incredibly shit. I hope we go and sign FDJ next summer.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Cashemiro had a bit of a stinker... not really that surprising though. After all, he's only here for the fat pay check he gets out of it. Oh well, he's only here for another 4-5 years

Siorac

The problem is that I don't think we played worse tonight than we did against Southampton or Leicester.

The moment we can't exploit a high line with pace, our attack looks utterly toothless still. Not surprising, considering the individuals there but it's a concern.

Loads of work to do on this team.

Member 125398

Really bad penalty but you make your own luck in games like this and we deserved to lose. Of the starters, Elanga and maguire deserve any credit. Antony tracked back well but not much more. Ronaldo's legs have gone.

We should send Sancho to Ukraine as his passivity could calm things down there.

I don't think we will see Fred start again barring injuries, shocking.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
There was some good huffing and puffing but really bad in the last third. Same shite like Fred getting shown up. I think there are some positives. We definitely shouldn’t have lost.

We’re going to have the same problems against lesser teams. Same as Ole. We can’t break them down when we lose the ball so easily.

A-man

Not playing great in first half, but we controlled it and created chances and defending with ease. Second half, don’t know what happened but we lost control totally.

Abraxas

Really it's just a poor game of football.

Early Europa intensity, hardly any decent chances from either side. A spawny pen wins it.

Problem is a crap game suited them whereas we needed to show more creativity at home. It just wasn't there tonight and we move on.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Not good enough. A draw would have been fair enough given their goal came from a penalty only the referee and the VAR person saw.

In the first half it looked like Eriksen was the only one really creating stuff. I get why he and Dalot was taken off but we just didn't create much at all in the second half.

Not too fussed to be honest, just annoyed really. And while it kinda looks like we have a lot of depth now looking at our squad, we don't have to play for long before you can see we still need to strengthen several positions.

Lee565

Playing ronaldo these days feels like we giving an old legend a charitable run out on old Trafford

CM

Not a great performance but joke of a decision for the penalty

crossy1686

career ending
There’s a reason the 5 lads that’s started tonight haven’t played in the PL. They weren’t fit or sharp enough to do much that game but it’s time to uo your game or get shipped out next summer. Casemiro looked rusty as hell but I’m confident he’ll come good.

youngrell

Seemed to be so little effort to get an equaliser it was weird.

Ronaldo looks like he can’t pull the trigger any longer and Maguire looks like a player on the way out, just went through the motions with no attempt to fight for his place.

Strange night all around.

Prodigy24

I'll most likely get banned if I write my true feelings about the idiot ref and the clowns on VAR, so I'll leave it at that.

Disappointing performance. New players getting a first start, some very unfit, some having a terrible game, and some are completely done. It's one of those, and it's always difficult against these bastard spanish teams. At least they got some minutes, that's the only positive pretty much.

I know that he probably came on quite late, but my God I was so irritated by Sancho playing like a coward and hardly taking anyone on, and not getting involved in the game.

Brazzos1

Very weak up front. We offered nothing in the final third.

stu_1992

Annoying result considering the joke of a decision that was that penalty. We didn't deserve to win, but we didn't deserve to win too. Flat performance which is not unexpected considering the changes for some unfit players and also perhaps a lack of desire due to the competition.

Not exactly terminal for our season and I'd rather get a wake up call here than in the league. The squad players should be fitter next time we see them. They'll be playing against even lesser opposition too.

My biggest concern was honestly Sancho and how he failed to make any impact when coming on. Casemiro had a poor showing if we're honest but I'm hoping that a sharpness thing.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Penalty and plethora of substitution and they added just 3 min. European refs are even worse. Entire VAR team should be sacked if they couldn’t see an issue with that ridiculous decision

PoTMS

Games like today show we would also be getting thumped 4-1 to middling European teams if we were playing in the Champions League.

DevilRed

I thought we were clearly better than them, our final ball/passing in the final third was poor, as was our finishing. Additionally, I thought we didn't use the middle enough going forward. RS left us plenty of space there which we didn't utilize as much as we could have.

Real Socieded disappointed me, they offered hardly anything and benefited from a horrific penalty decision. If you are gonna be that quick to call that a penalty, the foul on Ronaldo should've been one as well.

Casemiro disappointed me, at least when he had the ball at his feet.

I don't know if Ronaldo struggles to motivate himself or is just degressing but I felt in the past he would've buried one of those chances he had.
anybody that has to play with Fred in midfield looks shit. It’s a common denominator. We just needto replace crap like Fred and lindelof in the next two windows. Id rather give zidane a game.

joedirt87

You can't convince me Chelsea actually wanted Ronaldo and we refused to sell.

Belisarius

We were poor in the last third but still shouldn’t have lost. Worst ref decision against us since that Rafael one v Leicester.
There were two terrible decisions that game. The Rafael decision and they scored another goal after the ball had gone out of bounds and been played back in.

padzilla

Hipster
That has to be end of playing squad players. Not good enough. An outrageously ridiculous penalty but we weren't good enough at the other end.

RedDevilRoshi

I only watched the 1st half and switched off as it just felt like testimonial/local charity game. Atmosphere was subdued which was expected.

I’ve seen the penalty decision which is absolutely farcical but nothing new I suppose.

Redderp

I didn’t like the subs. It made sense before the match, but you have to look at how it played out and then be able to change the plans. Eriksen and Dalot was our two best players in the first half and so many other players struggled. Furthermore the upcoming weekend games will be postponed so we have extra time off.

The subs would make sense if the rest of the team played well, but they didn’t. So many disasterclass performances. On top of that we had zero help from the bench. So when Sociedad scored we couldn’t bring on anyone other than Sancho and youth.

I would at least have given Eriksen and Dalot some minutes in the second half with Bruno. Maybe we could have gone one up and then rested them. It kinda felt like we got worse and worse with the subs.

wangyu

I am incredibly disappointed by this performance. The first half was ok, not great but ok, we had good intentions, the ball got around, I was satisfied. The problem was that not everybody had a good half. Antony was invisible, Ronaldo‘s career should be over at this level and Fred was abysmal.
The second half however, holy crap that was terrible.
For some reason our best players Eriksen who,is the only one who can accurately and with pace kick a forward pass was taken off and not Fred.
Not surprisingly this terrible decision resulted into utd losing possession. Sociedad’s press also seemed enough to disrupt every movement with the ball we had.
I agreed with Bruno’s sub but not for Eriksen.
Individually Martinez played a terrific game, I’m not even blaming him the pentaly because in my eyes that was never a penalty.
All the others in attack and midfield were simply horrendous.
I want to highlight Sancho’s sub. It was completely pointless, a 90 million wide player who repeatedly not manages to dribble his direct opponent, today he even decided to hide, he was a ghost.

I did not expect this performance at all…

MonkeysMagic

I would like someone from Uefa to explain that penalty decision? Inexcusable that with technology, which is supposed to eradicate blunders, we are still talking about blunders.

No sooner we move to some sort AI system to take decision making away from idiotic humans the better!

But it can't also be denied that our passing game is just decades behind where ot needs to be, will I ever witness a Utd side pass the ball competently?

captaincantona

Mostly in control, did nothing with it. Second choice players did little to suggest they should be more than that. Terrible penalty call.

Still, growing pains I guess.
Not in control at all last 30 minutes. Possession in the first third of the pitch is not being in control. It was embarrassing by how easily RSO penned us in. No Eriksen and Bruno too high gave us no foothold. Casemiro really didn’t take responsibility as much as I’d hoped.

Dempsey19

Get that gobshite Fred out of the club. He was just a headless chicken. Some of his passes were atrocious. How can somebody be so bad at the basics ??

Special mention to Lindelof & Maguire who are our 56k dialup CBs, I'm sure they share the 1 brain between them, only explanation as to why they are so slow at everything and can't create from the back.

I think ETH knows now it has to be Dalot/Varane/Martinez/Malacia every single game. The drop in quality from those to anybody else is massive for the way he wants to play.

Lentwood

Ronaldo was terrible last season the majority of the time. Turned in the odd genuinely good performance (Spurs at home) but primarily the tap-ins masked the horrible performances and his effect on dragging the whole team down.

My post history will tell you im far from a Rashford fan but you've got to have legs upfront or a presence of some kind. Ronaldo is done and we shouldnt continue to humour him.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Fred and Ronaldo shocking, Casemeiro and Sancho poor. Anthony, Maguire and Lindelof pointless.
Martial needs to be back soon. New/substitute RB has to be a priority.

Martinez and Eriksen were good, but apparently not replaceable.

JustinC00

I was guessing it would be a draw after I saw the lineup and it should have been. Team isn't at the point where it can't rotate that many and not see a negative effect. Ronaldo just doesn't work in this style or he is washed. either way him being out there is like playing a man down. Martial or Rashford start tonight and this is probably 3 points.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Sancho was the biggest disappointment for me, truly an embarrassing cameo. 0 intensity, 0 fight. Unacceptable from a supposedly elite forward. He looked absolutely not arsed. Fecking annoyed me no end.
Why are we always signing such characters?

House Mkhitaryan

I thought most of the players played pretty well. Ronaldo, Fred and Casemiro absolutely terrible though. Antony pretty poor as well but you can see the danger he creates for opponents. Ref (and VAR) a joke.

MayfieldsFinest

I could not give one flying feck about this competition, the players, it seems are the exact same. Beat Palace next up and i'll be happy.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Real Sociedad
  • 24% Man Utd 2:1 Real Sociedad