LC W League Cup Third Round

Manchester United 1:1 Rochdale

Post-match discussion

Wed, 25 September 2019

In Rainbows

Our U21's are a team that are used to playing together and are not under the pressure this senior side is right now, you can feel the tension at Old Trafford through the TV screen, that's not a great environment for young players and the senior ones are a waste of time in large, the context of the situation needs to be taken into account.
The context is that the side that faced Rochdale was superior to the one that beat Rotherham. You're arguing in favor of Mellor, Laird, Gomes, Garner, Levitt, Bernard, Kovar are superior to Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Pogba, Fred, Lingard, AWB, Pereira, and Romero.

Sure there was pressure, but there was also more eyes watching those Rochdale players than they're used to with way more fans on United's side.

Denis79

I didn't think it was as bad as some are making out, I'm not sure what people are expecting from this squad, we are fielding half an under 23 side and relying on a 17 year old striker.

Fred and Pogba were clearly told to try and give us more tempo and get the ball forward quickly, which led to them forcing it and a number of misplaced passes, but it was the right idea for me and we did create some chances.

it wasn't great but I think we have to be real about how poor this squad is and look for the positives which were a couple of decent performances from 2 of our best young players, that'll do for tonight.
It has come to a point where we shouldn't expect anything against any opposition with any eleven we field from our squad. We struggle to break teams like Astana and Rochdale. Always some excuse why it isn't working out for us. We missed Pogba vs West Ham, well he played tonight, wasn't very good tbh. He's rusty, he's played out of position, his hair is the wrong colour. But if Martial played we would have won by 3-4 goals? But the xG says we are fantastic!

I'm happy our youngsters got some playing time, I'm pleasantly surprised by a few of them but tonight was a dreadful display by the team not individuals. It's looking bleak and I fear we haven't even come close to the dissapointment this season will bring. I want Ole to be given time but I also expect him to deliver atleast something to hold on to. Sacking him now would do more damage than good but seeing him completely distraught on the bench, without any fire angers me and it will anger me even more when he walks out at the next press-conference with a big grin saying how good the lads were and how unlucky we are having gone to penalties against a midtable League One team. Bad results will come, they have with every manager we have had but theese current performances are sub par, even for a weakened squad like ours.

Devil may care

The context is that the side that faced Rochdale was superior to the one that beat Rotherham. You're arguing in favor of Mellor, Laird, Gomes, Garner, Levitt, Bernard, Kovar are superior to Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Pogba, Fred, Lingard, AWB, Pereira, and Romero.

Sure there was pressure, but there was also more eyes watching those Rochdale players than they're used to with way more fans on United's side.
I'm arguing that they play as a team and our team tonight were a bunch of individuals that have not played as a unit for any length of time to build up some team understanding, it was a disjointed mix of massively inexperienced players and overpaid, bang average senior players and one who doesn't want to be here.

The eyes on Rochdale didn't matter to them though, it was an occassion for them, the biggest match a lot of them will ever have in their careers, and they had nothing to lose. Meanwhile our fans were on edge by half time and that translated to the pitch, that's when the amount of fans can have the reverse effect, I mean am I mistaken or did Lingard get booed off?

Gator Nate

What I took from that, strangely, was feeling happy for that 16 year old right back. Got away with a sneaky pull on Pogba right at the end, but really had a great game.
[Cut]
... and Pogba played at 20%.

This team doesn't want it.
Had it been anyone but Pogba, I'd have been upset for the no-call, but given Pogba's "performance," my only thought was, "Good for him!" Plucky thing for a 16-year-old League One player to drag down a World Cup winner in his own house. And that kid went 90 minutes plus!

As for the team not wanting it, I disagree. But too much of the team don't want it, and too much of the team don't have it. Dan James went out there with his heart on his sleeve. And Mason Greenwood is a cold-blooded killer!

ship50

No matter how I try to look at it, I can't find anything good about this performance. There is something fundamentally wrong here. Or maybe everything. Disappointing.

Devil may care

It has come to a point where we shouldn't expect anything against any opposition with any eleven we field from our squad. We struggle to break teams like Astana and Rochdale. Always some excuse why it isn't working out for us. We missed Pogba vs West Ham, well he played tonight, wasn't very good tbh. He's rusty, he's played out of position, his hair is the wrong colour. But if Martial played we would have won by 3-4 goals? But the xG says we are fantastic!

I'm happy our youngsters got some playing time, I'm pleasantly surprised by a few of them but tonight was a dreadful display by the team not individuals. It's looking bleak and I fear we haven't even come close to the dissapointment this season will bring. I want Ole to be given time but I also expect him to deliver atleast something to hold on to. Sacking him now would do more damage than good but seeing him completely distraught on the bench, without any fire angers me and it will anger me even more when he walks out at the next press-conference with a big grin saying how good the lads were and how unlucky we are having gone to penalties against a midtable League One team. Bad results will come, they have with every manager we have had but theese current performances are sub par, even for a weakened squad like ours.
The overall performances are bad I agree, the squad is lacking in depth and quality, and I've reached the point where like you I no longer know where to look for the blame, something is broken at the club mentality-wise and the fact we refuse to restructure the club to the modern game remains a big reason we are floundering overall.

I knew we were screwed the moment the transfer window closed, we have made our bed so for now I think we need to lie in it, so I'm just interested in the progress of the young players as they are the only bright spot and the only hope to build on.

Denis79

The overall performances are bad I agree, the squad is lacking in depth and quality, and I've reached the point where like you I no longer know where to look for the blame, something is broken at the club mentality-wise and the fact we refuse to restructure the club to the modern game remains a big reason we are floundering overall.

I knew we were screwed the moment the transfer window closed, we have made our bed so for now I think we need to lie in it, so I'm just interested in the progress of the young players as they are the only bright spot and the only hope to build on.
How I feel in a nutshell.

He'sRaldo

Yes they are. If you are trying to say that team we put out was league 1 level you've got to be kidding me.
Aside from a few players, I don't think our attackers have the individual skill to break down buses. That's the problem.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The same players starting to down tools again under a different manager? But no, people will continue to want a managerial merry go round instead of clearing up the shit and bang average players we have.

downunder red

I'm arguing that they play as a team and our team tonight were a bunch of individuals that have not played as a unit for any length of time to build up some team understanding, it was a disjointed mix of massively inexperienced players and overpaid, bang average senior players and one who doesn't want to be here.

The eyes on Rochdale didn't matter to them though, it was an occassion for them, the biggest match a lot of them will ever have in their careers, and they had nothing to lose. Meanwhile our fans were on edge by half time and that translated to the pitch, that's when the amount of fans can have the reverse effect, I mean am I mistaken or did Lingard get booed off?
There was definately booing while he was coming off which I do not agree with. For the life of me though I watched him all game and he runs a lot but into nowhere places where he can not even receive a pass. This is one thing I can not agree with Ole; not giving Gomes a chance instead of him.

haram

The same players starting to down tools again under a different manager? But no, people will continue to want a managerial merry go round instead of clearing up the shit and bang average players we have.
Well he got rid of players. You talk about bang average players but Ole himself is bang average if not worse. Why would any of those players respect someone who has only managed Cardiff and Molde anyway.

haram

Aside from a few players, I don't think our attackers have the individual skill to break down buses. That's the problem.
Teams came to OT and parked the bus in Jose’s second season. The forward line was Lukaku, Lingard behind, Rashford on the left and Mata on the right. Please tell me how our record at home was so good that year? Lukaku, Lingard, Rashford and Mata had jobs and a plan set for them by the manager. Ole is just clueless.

Devil may care

There was definately booing while he was coming off which I do not agree with. For the life of me though I watched him all game and he runs a lot but into nowhere places where he can not even receive a pass. This is one thing I can not agree with Ole; not giving Gomes a chance instead of him.
I had forgtten he was on for most of the game, he seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Apparently Gomes is injured, not sure I fully believed that though.

AndyMUFC

It's not even a surprise that we found it a struggle. That's the worrying thing. Oh well, getting used to it now!

He'sRaldo

Teams came to OT and parked the bus in Jose’s second season. The forward line was Lukaku, Lingard behind, Rashford on the left and Mata on the right. Please tell me how our record at home was so good that year? Lukaku, Lingard, Rashford and Mata had jobs and a plan set for them by the manager. Ole is just clueless.
If I remember correctly, we didn't score a lot of goals at home (or in general). So while it was a decent record, I wouldn't call it a really good one. And that was with better personnel than now, where we're relying on quite a few youngsters to step up.

IMO Ole hasn't shown anything tactically, so don't get me wrong there. I'm just saying watching the players, a lot of them don't show elite ability, and thus will struggle against buses regardless of the manager. A better manager will probably win more though.

Last edited:

minh_loc_xoay

The post-match comment section is much more entertaining than the match itself. Talk about the CAF standards! :drool:

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Well he got rid of players. You talk about bang average players but Ole himself is bang average if not worse. Why would any of those players respect someone who has only managed Cardiff and Molde anyway.
Because he's their manager?

Players have disrespected Moyes, van Gaal, Mourinho and now Ole. At some point they have to start acting like professionals or take the blame.

oz insomniac

How the heck does the CEO/DOF off one of the largest clubs in the world, build a team with a weak midfield and without a minimum 20 goals per season striker. Underlining the crap build of the club, negotiating transfers of players out with little effort into replacing them.

There only one person in the known football universe that has undertaken an effort, Teflon Ed Woodward . Let that sink in, then understand why performances are so dire, why the club overpays for players they could have signed earlier , and then to pit out a statement saying players are not signed for social media reasons and we have ambition , wtf.

Blaming managers for all their woes when there is a common denominator, the club is run by a merchant banker on behalf of shopping centre owners.

Welcome to the Manchester Buccaneers, that's not far from what is happening.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How the heck does the CEO/DOF off one of the largest clubs in the world, build a team with a weak midfield and without a minimum 20 goals per season striker. Underlining the crap build of the club, negotiating transfers of players out with little effort into replacing them.

There only one person in the known football universe that has undertaken an effort, Teflon Ed Woodward . Let that sink in, then understand why performances are so dire, why the club overpays for players they could have signed earlier , and then to pit out a statement saying players are not signed for social media reasons and we have ambition , wtf.

Blaming managers for all their woes when there is a common denominator, the club is run by a merchant banker on behalf of shopping centre owners.

Yep. Bring back the Glazer's out campaign. Milkers. Doesn't one of the daughters get paid in excess of 1m for I don't know what?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I didn't think it was as bad as some are making out, I'm not sure what people are expecting from this squad, we are fielding half an under 23 side and relying on a 17 year old striker.

Fred and Pogba were clearly told to try and give us more tempo and get the ball forward quickly, which led to them forcing it and a number of misplaced passes, but it was the right idea for me and we did create some chances.

it wasn't great but I think we have to be real about how poor this squad is and look for the positives which were a couple of decent performances from 2 of our best young players, that'll do for tonight.
Oh come on. We had just 3 kids playing at first team, 1 of which is rated as the second coming of the Christ while tuanzebe had been on loan for quite some time

The rest were internationals. AWB, Jones, Andreas, Romero, Fred, Pogba, Jesse. Petersbrough defeated these lot 6-0. Surely we should have won comfortably against these lot at home

Ole is being outsmarted week after week. He should resign

Last edited:

Hughes35

Really disappointed about the performance. Had a few quid on Rochdale to qualify. We can't even do that right.

We are dreadful.

Rake

We didn't play well but we still had our chances to score a few goals, which we didn't... They had only 2-3 opportunities to create something and scored one of them.

There is distinct lack of movement and flair when trying to break down defending teams, which has been a persisting issue over the past few seasons.

Few players had a decent game but Pereira and Chong continue to not impress, to say the least. I dare say that Chong is the least ready to play for the first team.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Few players had a decent game but Pereira and Chong continue to not impress, to say the least. I dare say that Chong is the least ready to play for the first team.
That’s because neither Perreira or Chong are actually very good. I’ve always found it strange when fans have gone all frothy mouthed over Chong.

Greenwood however has potential to be a wicked forward.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Those players certainly respected Mourinho who’s managed the big teams. It’s time to stop pinning blame on managers and start looking at the cnuts who are on the pitch.

Rake

That’s because neither Perreira or Chong are actually very good. I’ve always found it strange when fans have gone all frothy mouthed over Chong.

Greenwood however has potential to be a wicked forward.
Personally, I haven't seen people raving about him the way they do Greenwood or Gomez, nor have I watched the reserves/youth matches to be able to judge. Also, I`m not saying that we should discard him, but, from what he has shown, if the 3 academy lads are on the bench, he is the least likely to be trusted to turn the tide of the game.

I`m pretty confident he will get the least playing time of the three.

Godfather

And there was me thinking the "our squad is shit" arguement would be dead after drawing to fecking Rochdale.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Personally, I haven't seen people raving about him the way they do Greenwood or Gomez, nor have I watched the reserves/youth matches to be able to judge. Also, I`m not saying that we should discard him, but, from what he has shown, if the 3 academy lads are on the bench, he is the least likely to be trusted to turn the tide of the game.

I`m pretty confident he will get the least playing time of the three.
I’m not saying we should discard him yet but he should still be in the reserves or be loaned out. Lots and lots of development still needed. He should be nowhere near our squad yet and is just more proof on how woefully inadequate our squad is.

Crustanoid

Ah well, just seen the draw for the next round and we’re definitely out now anyway which renders out penalty win over the mighty Rochdale meaningless

Withnail

If I remember correctly, we didn't score a lot of goals at home (or in general). So while it was a decent record, I wouldn't call it a really good one. And that was with better personnel than now, where we're relying on quite a few youngsters to step up.

IMO Ole hasn't shown anything tactically, so don't get me wrong there. I'm just saying watching the players, a lot of them don't show elite ability, and thus will struggle against buses regardless of the manager. A better manager will probably win more though.
You're right, we struggled in attack under Jose too. One of the main gripes during his tenure was that there was no cohesive attacking plan and it was just left up to the players to do whatever they saw fit, which is always going to be hit and miss against modern organised defenses.

Nothing much seems to have changed in that regard under Ole. We're creating some chances but they're mostly low quality.

Strelok

Still fully support Ole but must say our performance was awful.

tombombadil

Have I ever told you that I love you? :lol::lol:

My fav post today. Nail on head Spot on. Especially the merchant banker, Shopping center owner bits.

jackal&hyde

We created chances but we can't finish to save our lives. Same story as Wolves, Palace and Southampton.

The positive is that Tuanzebe and Greenwood are taking their chances. Not so much for Chong though.

Uncle Pat

This might sound odd, but one of the biggest issues for me last night wasn't what was going on on the pitch. It was the matchgoing fans. Rather than trying to get the team going, they seemed to just be cycling through our repertoire of songs. Whenever we needed a goal in the old days we used to get behind the lads and gee them up. We don't seem to do that anymore and seem far too focused on having a good day out and getting over the latest song about X player.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 294 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Rochdale win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:0 Rochdale
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Rochdale