CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Sevilla 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 February 2018

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Interestingly, we got the exact same scoreline in the away leg of a knock-out tie the last three times we got to a CL final.
I just wish a little perspective was shown on here. It’s like we lost 0-3 or something.

I get that we didn’t play well or that the match wasn’t too excited but most big games are. I hate to sound like an old man or something but the level of knee jerk that you mostly found in the twitter fan seems to be creeping more and more here.

I want us to do well and win everything but the reality is it’s impossible. The league is gone with this historic city side and no one on here would say we’re favorites for the CL.

I think we’ll go through and give whoever we face in the QF a tough match but it’s always going to be a flip of a coin match and I don’t see us getting blown out.

Acole9

Outstanding
It was a decent result but not a good one. I thought the defence as a unit were good again but there was a couple of individual moments of sloppiness, particularly from wide positions where their wingers were allowed to cut in far too easily at times. The midfield was solid and all done their jobs. The three in attack struggled to get into the game and were very scrappy.

If Sevilla had a striker in the mould of the striker their manager Montella was, they would've scored a couple without doubt. I think we got away with it at times.

I think Mourinho will definitely be happy with the result but ideally we needed that away goal to take back to Old Trafford. If Sevilla come out and go for it in the second leg and score, we could be in trouble. However I do think we'll do enough to go through, I've watched Sevilla a few times now and I don't think they're that good a team, despite the fact they won the Europa League three years in a row and they're in the Copa Del Rey final. They don't seem to have any clue in front of goal, Muriel was shocking. I don't get all the fuss about N Zonzi neither, didn't think much of him at Blackburn or Stoke and I don't now, looks average.

Giggsyking

2 years
Is this the kind of football we as fans expecting after 2 years under this manager? Im not talking about Seville. Newcastle, Hudersfield, Tottenham, Liverpool, city, Chelsea, Brighton, Southampton, etc etc.. games were we produced the worst kind of football. Our goalkeeper is up there with relegation teams keepers in the number of saves made in the EPL. It is a disgrace to a club in the size, prestige and the history of Manchester united.

tony54

But still had a great time in Seville, what a lovely place, wonderful weather and welcoming people, glad I stayed 3 nights
Nice one. Seville is one of the nicest cities Ive been to in Spain, very, young, clean and vibrant.

diplomat

2 years
Is this the kind of football we as fans expecting after 2 years under this manager? Im not talking about Seville. Newcastle, Hudersfield, Tottenham, Liverpool, city, Chelsea, Brighton, Southampton, etc etc.. games were we produced the worst kind of football. Our goalkeeper is up there with relegation teams keepers in the number of saves made in the EPL. It is a disgrace to a club in the size, prestige and the history of Manchester united.
Absolutely, but people will look for more excuses every day and will claim your are biased, you have an agenda, stats are manipulated or don't show the whole picture. In fact, everything is visible to the naked eye but some posters want to maintain the "top red" persona at all times and some just have a hard-on for Jose.

Turkleton

@Giggsyking I couldn't agree more. The football is very close to LVG levels of unbearable. I've heard every excuse under the sun for why it's not Mourinho's fault. Even heard some fans say we play good football! The cult of Mourinho is too powerful.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
No game plan, no confidence in our play, safe and slow. This has been issues for months now yet Jose does not change a thing. He refuses to change something, same for some of the players who keep starting games

C'est Moi Cantona

It was alarming how content Jose looked with it all, is that the extent of our ambition in games like this, where just containing them is enough, I won't try and convince myself that this was a good game or result by us personally.

singhters

0-0 is a poor result if they score 1 at OT i can't see how utd will score 2 or even 1 for that matter, dangerous situation.

If we are going to win we need to on the front foot from the start and try and get at least 2 goals and keep going.

desmondisback

@Giggsyking I couldn't agree more. The football is very close to LVG levels of unbearable. I've heard every excuse under the sun for why it's not Mourinho's fault. Even heard some fans say we play good football! The cult of Mourinho is too powerful.

Yes , it does make you wonder if he wasn't called "Mourinho" but he was some unknown called Morazzio then would we stand for it or think he was right for us as a club?

You can't survive on reputation only. I don't care what he did before or even last season. I want to feel proud of being a United fan again and that doesn't mean necessarily winning everything , it just means wanting your team grow a pair of balls for a change.

Jaap

In the knockout stages?
Edit: If there were some earlier it doesn't change the 3 out of 17 in the years that you quoted. 3 out of 17 doesn't speak to me of a team playing for 0-0 in every away CL knockout fixture.
My bad, some of those were during the group stages.

Fully agree wuth the bold part. Fergie had a plan & that was executed perfectly (most of the time). With Mourinho, you feel that not everyone is behind his plans & is not willing to go the extra mile for him.

Jaap

But still had a great time in Seville, what a lovely place, wonderful weather and welcoming people, glad I stayed 3 nights
Even if you hadn't watched the game, you'd be saying that, right?

Had a blast in Basel last November as well - didn't get tickets, but the weather was brilliant, the drinks were great.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I think one of the things here is Mourinho really wanted a low intensity game, since we have less a day's rest than Chelsea. In that sense, it worked. And, perhaps without Herrera's injury, he would've been allowed to put Lingard also and we could've gone for the late goal.

Turkleton

I think one of the things here is Mourinho really wanted a low intensity game
We have covered the least distance of any team in the league (could have changed since mid January) despite our massive squad, I think we've had enough low intensity games.

dogwithabone

Away in Europe is such a boring watch as a united fan. Admittedly I’d had a hard day at work on Wednesday but I nodded off in last 15 minutes and had to look up the final result. It wasn’t as though it was much different under Fergie, some of his away days were tedious to watch.

Surely we have enough talent in that squad to have gone at Sevilla and risked conceding one in order to bag a goal or two ourselves. 1-1 would have been far more preferable to 0-0. It’s one reason why I think English teams sometimes come up short in the latter stages because we play right into the hands of European teams. We slow the game down rather than a more ‘up and at ‘em’ approach which mirrors our week to week football in PL.

kiristao

I agree, Expectations really have changed, 0-0 used to be a good result away from home in Europe
There is no doubt, 0-0 is a good result away from home. I don't think the result is the problem. The performance definitely is. For a team with the likes of Pogba, Sanchez, Mata & Lukaku in the 11 and 2 wingers playing as full backs, we showed nothing going forward. Literally 1 good chance was created all game.

And its not like it was a defensive masterclass. Our full backs got caught way too often 1v1 in spite of the team defending so deep. They had 26 attempts on goal with at least 4 really good chances to score.

And if it was a one off people would have ignored it. We have been putting in rather disjointed performances for a while now.

cyril C

It was a decent result but not a good one. I thought the defence as a unit were good again but there was a couple of individual moments of sloppiness, particularly from wide positions where their wingers were allowed to cut in far too easily at times. The midfield was solid and all done their jobs. The three in attack struggled to get into the game and were very scrappy.

If Sevilla had a striker in the mould of the striker their manager Montella was, they would've scored a couple without doubt. I think we got away with it at times.

I think Mourinho will definitely be happy with the result but ideally we needed that away goal to take back to Old Trafford. If Sevilla come out and go for it in the second leg and score, we could be in trouble. However I do think we'll do enough to go through, I've watched Sevilla a few times now and I don't think they're that good a team, despite the fact they won the Europa League three years in a row and they're in the Copa Del Rey final. They don't seem to have any clue in front of goal, Muriel was shocking. I don't get all the fuss about N Zonzi neither, didn't think much of him at Blackburn or Stoke and I don't now, looks average.

0-0 is never a wonderful result but a decent result, always better than losing. In fact I prefer 00 rather than 11 because I don't want our team to sit back and wait for counter-attack on the home game.

Sevilla is a decent team but not a great team, our weakness on the flank only highlight the problem with Young and Valencia. While they are great on overlapping attack, they are not even a decent defender. Using experienced wingers as fullback only work against weaker team but not against the best attackers in the world. Too late for this season now while we also have other priorities, really need Shaw in his best prospect and a RB much better than Darmian/Valencia.

oldhand

0-0 is a poor result if they score 1 at OT i can't see how utd will score 2 or even 1 for that matter, dangerous situation.

If we are going to win we need to on the front foot from the start and try and get at least 2 goals and keep going.
Playing Seville who have one of the best home win percentages in the champions league it wasn't that bad a result. Ok they got a draw at Anfield, but they don't travel well in the champions league. The United performance was ghastly, much worse than Basel

Hasawi Red

People defending this performance don't get that the frustration is not down to this game only !! The performances against most semi decent sides were the same throughout the season.

I dont really get all those stats being put up for comparison to justify the performance. If it was a one off i get it but its not.

Somthings is seroisly wrong with how the team plays since the promising start and its all on Jose im afraid.

Red Warrior 84

I think this is the worst result you can get in the away match, any goal at home will leave us under pressure for a whole 90min. We literally didn’t work on the opposite team weaknesses which had a poor defence and goalkeeper we played with our strength which is our defensive system which we weren’t even good at it and if it hadn’t been for De Gea we would be talking about our loss and how bad the game was.

I hope we can do better next match with clear tactic and offensive choices we need bailly we need Pogba to be at his top we need Matic and Lukaku and Alexis and martial to be at their maximum focus and strength, I hope we win by 3 goals ahead to keep our united reputation as a contender and a delegate for the cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 89% of 702 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win