CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Sevilla 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 February 2018

Siorac

I don’t really get the benefit of blatantly try to not score away? We’re statistically more likely to go out now? Both a draw with goals and a loss will drop us out? Had we scored atleast one we’d have a «safety» goal that wouldn’t knock us out..
No. Unless by "statistically" you mean there are more potential results that would drop us out than not. But the actual statistics regarding teams that drew the first leg away from home 0-0 suggest we're much more likely to go through.

RedDevil@84

Many people over here wanted a 0-0 to take home. Looks like at least those people will be super happy

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
McTominay did a fairly good job - proud of him.

De Gea is one of the greatest goal keepers ever - just unbelievable.

Pogba perked up once Sanchez went off and Martial and Rash were on.

I hate to say this, but Sanchez has messed with our chemistry. He should have been slowly introduced into the team. Jose imho has made a mistake here, ruffling feathers where there was no need to and to our detriment.

Anyway, hope we can pull something out of the bag and win at home, though it's very dangerous as they now have the advantage of getting an away goal and our defence can't be counted on it doesn't seem. Let's hope Dave is in God mode once again to save us.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
Mourinho is happy he got what he wanted Sevilla ended the game with 0 goals.

lysglimt

Scout
Don't get me wrong - Sevilla are a good side. And 0-0 is a good result - but I just can't understand how Pogba, Lukaku, Mata, Matic and Sanchez can't create anything. McTominay deserve all kinds of credit though - he looks more and more like a first-team player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea - best in the world

Valencia - did pretty well, troubled at times, had his own good moments. Decent.
Smalling - Pretty good
lindelof - Best of our back 5 IMO
Young - Decent but I do get annoyed how he always seems to get caught out of position because he tries to play like the winger that he is, not a fullback.

McTominay - Did alright. Nothing special, kept his position and helped out defensively, but nothing bad either
Matic - Shite. So fecking slow, careless on the ball, and just does nothing. Need to improve on him.
Herrera - Our best player the opening 15 mins, then got injured.
Pogba - Did alright. Kept it simple and did his bit defensively so that was nice. Did better once the game got more stretched. Still very far from what I expect from him.

Mata - didn't do much
Lukaku - standard big game performance. Goes missing
Sanchez - Created the one chance brilliantly, dropped too deep otherwise and didn't do much

RedDevil@84

I am not able to understand why the team looks so disjoint. What do they do in training?

Turkleton

Match was there for the taking but we got another cowardly performance. Players look low on confidence.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Dont understand why we didnt throw on Rashford or Martial around the 60th minute to try and score. Whats the use of giving them just 10 minutes at the end?
Rashford is more of a mystery for me. I can see why Mata and Martial don't get selected to start due to the lack of tracking back/defensive application.
I can only assume that Rashford is just coming back from injury and therefore was a risk to starting him.

AndyMUFC

It's a decent result but I'm not being funny, the only reason we got it was because Sevilla are pretty toothless. We're not good at playing like this, especially with the ball where we are absolute dogshite at trying to keep possession and go forward.

Job done and will hopefully get the job done at OT but unless we get a lot of luck, we'll come unstuck against the first top side we face.

lewwoo

I find my attention wandering from the match watching Utd more and more these days. At one point I found myself reading about the dyaltov pass incident on my phone and completely forgot we were playing for about 15 mins .

RedDevil-85

God awful performance,as expected really.
De Gea the reason we didnt lose tonight.
Rest of the team and Mourinho really needs to up their game.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Ducker is a united fan and this tweet sims up what most of the united fans feel right now

GM K

My big worry is our inability to keep the ball, to string passes together, to attack.

Game after game, I watch us easily give the ball away.

iam_kramer

Really bad. I don't know what we're trying to do in attack. I don't know how the attack is trying to work with the midfield. The defence is ok. Only ok.

James Ducker: United may well get through to CL QF but they feel like a team going backwards not forwards at the moment. There’s just not a great deal to like. It’s joyless football. It’s not ultra defensive, it’s just a strange sort of inertia, a nothingness. Just all very underwhelming.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I normally like to find the positives in our performances so 0-0 away isn't a bad result. However oh my lord was that a boring game of football to watch.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yet another lethargic, unimaginitive and uninspiring performance - they have become all to familiar in recent weeks. We have many players out of form right now which is a real worry at this stage of the season. The lack of a leader on the pitch is all the more apparent in performances like this.

Lukaku done his job well but was lacking support due to the deensive setup. Mctominay gave a really solid performance from midfield, confident and assured throughout. Not much else to shout about in truth.

That save from DDG defied logic.

GM K

My big worry is our inability to keep the ball, to string passes together, to attack.

Game after game, I watch us easily give the ball away.

Bobski

Horrible match to watch, decent result. Typical Utd under Mou, we have too much talent to be this crap to watch.

Marcky411

The constant tapping it around at the back and passing back to de Gea to hoof it up the pitch is infuriating. No confidence on the ball to move it forward through the midfield. Just lump it over the top and hope Lukaku can bring it down... and, well, repeat after winning back possession, because nobody's supporting him anyway.

Valencia looked like he shit himself when he actually beat a man at one point, as if he had no idea what to do next.
No that wasn’t it, he got a fright because he was defying Jose’s instructions :lol:

redNATION

If we get through to the quarters, we'll get a lesson from one of the remaining teams (and that might be City or Liverpool). We have absolutely no cohesion as a team, I dont even know what the tactics are, and that's just unacceptable given Jose's been here almost 2 years and spent a fortune. He seems to be fed up and lost his mojo, unfortunately we have a habit of getting players and managers who are past their prime (Ibra, Schweinsteiger, LVG, now Jose).

Barnslig

No. Unless by "statistically" you mean there are more potential results that would drop us out than not. But the actual statistics regarding teams that drew the first leg away from home 0-0 suggest we're much more likely to go through.
That’s what I meant, I woke up at 5 watching this game, my brain is definately not awake yet, especially after watching that sleeping pill of a match :lol:

Betson

Decent result , but job far from over.

We are as exciting as watching paint dry most of the time but we should be good enough to finish this at home as Sevilla an an average enough side , we are not much better and hard to see us go any further than the QF.

But as long as you are still in there in the competition you have a chance.

Canagel

Isn't that literally his job? Like, isn't that written in his job description?

Found this on Wikipedia:
I'm not blaming him for doing his job. He was our MOTM by a country mile. I'm fuming at our defending and how we put him under pressure. There were opportunity to clear the ball before but we didn't.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Makes me laugh when people say shit like "We used to win 14 nil every game under SAF. Don't you remember?" Yes I'm talking to you Lance Uppercut. @The Bloody-Nine

Thing is, this happens way more, in fact nearly all the time when we play away. We shit the bed, defend, have no fluidity, or any plan apart from defend, defend, defend. You might be happy, but feck me it is shite init.

RedDevil@84

I agree with ducker here. It is not ultra defensive or negative football as such. I am not even sure I can point a finger at Jose. It is somehow as if the players find strange ways to run around like headless chickens

redom

A professional performance. Some may not like the fact that Jose has given Seville too much respect despite them having the 3rd best home record in La Liga.
Despite the rose-tinted glasses, but Fergie has done this many times especially after the 2000s. Get a pragmatic result in the 1st leg and then beat teams at OT.

More worryingly for me is how much better we looked once Alexis was subbed. Better flow, passing and basically, the players knew where everyone was going to be.
Jose will need the summer to figure out how to integrate Alexis into the attack.
Hopefully he at least tries him on the right at some point, with Martial on the left. We do look like a bunch of individuals a lot of the time, players don't seem to understand each others game or how to help each other, it's very disjointed.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
I quite understand the tactics and I wont blame Jose for that. He played a defensive unit for 80% of the game and to unleash his counter attack to snatch a late win. But the below are the real problems why I think it is not working for us

1. We cant keep possession by passing around the ball.

2. Off the ball movements of our players are dire. We are so static that it is amazing to watch we are actually second in the league.

3. We are playing against sevilla and not Against a team with clinical strikers. We could have deployed at least two players to attack.

4. Lukaku needs to improve his touches and off the ball movement. Sanchez could have played as second striker who links midfield with striker.

5. Defenders need to be less fancy with ball at the back. Keep possession and when pressed pass it to goal keeper. Dont attempt fancy tricks that may land the team in a vulnerable position.

6. De Gea is the God, but if he can improve his distribution, he can become the best goal keeper ever.

7. This is again redundant, but when we have the possession always stretch the field and move in triangles. This is basic, but I have never seen us move in a triangle. We are so static that sometimes we bump among each other with the ball.

8. If we need to sit so deep defending, the first line of defense atleast can try to mark their players rather than dropping deep and blocking vision of our defense and goal keeper.

A 6/10 performance as we did not loose. But the result was more due to lack of accuracy of the opponents rather than our tactics.

Josep Dowling

0-0 is not the worse results.

It’s just the manor at which it happened. This wasn’t a typical Champions League performance where we controlled the tempo. This was a game we could have lost 3-0 and created no clear chances.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 89% of 702 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw