EL L Europa League Semi-Final

Sevilla 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 August 2020

Schmeichel=God

Reasons for the loss, in order:

1: Officiating, consciously and indirectly. Carlos red card, at least 1 other penalty, and so much more wrong. I would have put it at 2, but it was that bad it squeaks into first.

2: Extremely wasteful finishing. Unfortunate at times, but ultimately wasteful.

3: FBs lack of awareness in CB positional covering requirements.

4: Ole and subs

It is not possible to prevail given the sheer amount of things going against our cause in one match.

Give it one more year of building and the team will have more confidence, more composure, and greater experience in these situations.

DevilRed

Well you could look it as being 1.5 years into a 26 year managerial tenure. Because all that really seems to matter at this club.
The performance was generally good too. We made mistakes (lindelof mainly) and they cost us dearly. A bit of a smash and grab from sevilla. We did dominate most of the game and had numerous chances to put them away. Unfortunately our frontline has been misfiring for the last few weeks dating back to west ham at home probably.

Important thing now is to have a big summer to reinforce the squad. Also clear out our logjam of centrebacks and hopefully being a top class one in to partner maguire if ole isn’t sold on Tuanzebe.

SirAnderson

What would your words be after that game?
We were not good enough, and deserved to be knocked out. We gave away 2 poor goals and didn't managed to finish our chances when we were on the top.

No of this, "losing is unacceptable for this club" every club loses, its part of football. It's how we lose and when that matters and to say we were the better team, well the score tells a different story. Our lack of finishing chances doesn't make us better, when they actually took the 2 of the few chances they did have.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I’m ready to get attacked for this but, you need a striker. Martial is a very good player and has impressed this season but you’d be in a cup final had those chances been put away it was ridiculously wasteful.

edit: martial shouldn’t be the scapegoat btw
Thought the same...

I've read constant messages about how Martial is a better all around striker than the likes of Harry Kane, but...you kind of need your striker to be able to bury those chances. I've seen Kane miss the odd one, but never multiple in a row like that. Dribbling and pace is great but you kind of need the finishing ability...

shazzmufc

Surely we need to sign better defenders
Yes, I daresay we definitely do. Not downplaying how we attacked tonight because we certainly were all over them at times, but it's clear that Ole isn't happy with our depth (hence waiting until the 87th minute to make our first sub). Sancho coming in to the squad adds the right kind of competitive pressure amongst our forwards. Idk, maybe I'm just gutted after missing so many chances and/or reeling from Rashy's performances lately.

But as you said, there are defensive issues that do need addressing. I am a fan of Lindelof, but I do always feel as though he has a mistake in him (especially in the air, and just concentration-wise). I'm not sure he should be the main starter, so I do agree.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Firstly that would have felt a lot worse had we not got top four. Secondly the ref and the Seville players are twats.

However I agree with Savage, we only have ourselves to blame for not progressing. The finishing was not good enough, the defending for their goals was very shabby and I have to say I think Ole's decision-making with subs leaves a lot to be desired, granted the bench was hardly stocked with options for him. Why not give Ighalo and even James on the righthand more time to affect the game? The drop in class is fairly marked but when you've got Rashy on a yellow looking like a fed-up kid being dragged around the supermarket, tired and frustrated, and we'd missed big chances throughout the game surely Ighalo deserves 25/30 mins to try and bury one?

The way the PL season finished, with this scheduled a bit later, I always saw it as a bit of a bonus free-hit at the end of a long season. I'm not devastated to have lost it but I can't shake feeling we've got in our own way tonight.

TheGodsInRed

Finally play a CL team in Europe and we get beat. We need to strengthen for next year‘s CL.

Sancho, a decent CB and maybe some depth in midfield and we can do well.

Toddler

Pretty scary performance by our defence which is supposed to be good. Defence lost it for us hundred percent. They had two chances, they scored two. Ridiculous.

Martial again best of the front three but should have scored. Rashford has lost his confidence.

All in all we were the better team and should have won.

Frustrated af.

Suedesi

Reasons for the loss, in order:

1: Officiating, consciously and indirectly. Carlos red card, at least 1 other penalty, and so much more wrong. I would have put it at 2, but it was that bad it squeaks into first.

2: Extremely wasteful finishing. Unfortunate at times, but ultimately wasteful.

3: FBs lack of awareness in CB positional covering requirements.

4: Ole and subs

It is not possible to prevail given the sheer amount of things going against our cause in one match.

Give it one more year of building and the team will have more confidence, more composure, and greater experience in these situations.
Enough with the officiating. It was the Norwegian's game management that doomed us, along with Bissaka/Lindeloff cockup for their goal

Darlington Padgett

We should've won, bad shooting day for Martial. Some horrible defending but that first goal should've been overturned by VAR.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Not sure how that's possible, but okay.
It's a tongue-in-cheek comment to him having a go at stacking on more individual players to blame. My point is that you can only go so far to blame the same individual players who then put in better performances in other matches.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's true. Because he'd have left him whilst he was jogging back 20 yards further up the pitch.
Nah, he’d never have been that far up the pitch:)

Point is, we should never have LBs who aren’t genuine LBs. Williams would never get a contract like that at an elite European club nor would he be selected. Shaw has been badly missed

dogwithabone

We really aren’t too far away and three semi finals and third place suggest a good level of consistency but just short of that next step. A good transfer window and I’ll be really looking forward to next season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Need to work on our play acting and diving for next year's CL. Seems like a much needed talent especially facing La Liga teams.

Disappointed by our forwards, especially Martial, who seemed to be in form and supposed to have a much sane, cool head.
Anyways, hope the players can finally get some good rest and be refreshed for the next season.
Posters like me tend to get pelters when pointing out that the likes of Martial and Rashford let you down when it really matters. They have improved but are still way too streaky.

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
Thought we played well, better than last few games in league and fa cup. Missing shooting boots cost us, as we should have been a few up before their second.

Fred was very good, Williams is young so can forgive him, Greenwood looked knackered, Rashford needs a break. Pogba was mainly good.

Ole should have made subs earlier but we are weak in our depth, Ighalo should have been on for Rashford for something different.

Ref was something else, should have had a second pen, their first came from wrong throw in call, Martial cleaned out by player on yellow and should have seen second card, then they scored not long after.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sevilla had a bench capable of beating us. We've had the same players playing every single game since March because Ole doesn't trust the bench. It's pretty simple.
We had Mata and Matic on the bench. Both have been proven capable of changing the game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We were not good enough, and deserved to be knocked out. We gave away 2 poor goals and didn't managed to finish our chances when we were on the top.

No of this, "losing is unacceptable for this club" every club loses, its part of football. It's how we lose and when that matters and to say we were the better team, well the score tells a different story. Our lack of finishing chances doesn't make us better, when they actually took the 2 of the few chances they did have.
I think I'll stick with his take if it's all the same.

fergosaurus

Was a far better performance than I had expected given recent form. We were the better team and second half sevilla barely created an opening nevermind a scoring chance.

Such poor defending for the winner, so disappointing as they'd been solid
Ball watching and lax from practically the entire back four - not good enough all round

Deserved better today but you get punished at this level. Real shame for Ole as no doubt the morons on this board will pile in on him
That's the way I saw it too. I thought we played okay overall but at this level you need to be ruthless and clinical which we weren't. Hopefully the board get the message by Ole not bringing on subs earlier. I know James was brought in by Ole but he needs to be properly backed this window so we have options to rotate and have a competent bench.

Swearing Budgie

I thought Pogba was okay. Fred had a decent game too, by his standards. Rashford was very out of sorts and has been since he started spending all his spare time as a dinner lady.

Ace of Spades

Disappointed with the result, but we gave it a go. The defence does need to be looked at, two poor goals to concede.

We created some good chances, but their keeper was having a superb game.

Our FBs need to do so much better in attack, but especially AWB who is poor even in the build up much less the final ball.

In the end, the defending cost us. Can't be giving away such poor goals.

Kopral Jono

The better team lost. Difference between the two sides was they scored with their only decent chances and we couldn't finish our tea, we had about 40 shots these last two games with only 2 goals, it's just not good enough. It was a very frustrating game, I'm sure many will be quick to laud Sevilla but we bossed them for the most part. This game reflects that Ajax game where we beat them in the final, they were arguably the better team during the game but we were just much more experienced that night and it showed, same with Sevilla tonight.

I know Williams will probably take a lot of grief for his performance but he had absolutely no help from Rashford whatsoever, that said he's looked a bit out of his depth these last few matches, with Shaw in the team I don't think we lose. Rashford's form since the restart and showed why we need depth in attack so badly, he's obviously not been at the races but because of how low quality our squad is we can't really afford to take him out of the team.

I did think Pogba and Fred were good tonight, Fred does seem to be playing his way back into form, he had some exceptional moments. I was surprised to see criticism of Greenwood in the match day thread, I think he again showed today why he's so revered, he was quality on the ball and dropped back to help Wan-Bissaka out which I really appreciated.

A bitter end to a very, very long season, with 3 semi-finals with a bit more luck on our side who knows what might have been. That's where we're at presently, a top 3 team and semi-finalists, if we want to push on we're going to have to spend, that's the reality we're faced with. We've come a long, long way this season, it's had ups and downs but get 3 good signings in and we're laughing. I'm going into next season with a mind full of optimism.
Good post. Like I said earlier, on another day we'd have done our job in front of goal and we'd be laughing our way to the final, which would've been a very nice ending to a very long season.

Onwards and upwards.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Composure was non existent. Pogba and Fred were firing those passes to front players. Rashford looked lost and was again doing pointless dribbles which weren't working. Martial and Greenwood missed so many chances. To be fair to Martial he made them also and was unlucky but still you need to take those chances.

Less said about our Defence the better it is.

Also Bruno overall play leaves lot to be desired. I know his stat is isane but since West Ham game, he has been awful. Not sure how much it is down to fatigue

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Posters like me tend to get pelters when pointing out that the likes of Martial and Rashford let you down when it really matters. They have improved but are still way too streaky.
Martial had a really odd performance tonight, he did pretty much everything well until he had to put the ball in the back of the net, he missed a few 1 on 1s against Copenhagen too. Solskjaer needs to put them into a finishing bootcamp.

adam118

Disappointed, really expected Sevilla to dominate however we were the dominate team and wasted a great chance to win a trophy. It might give Ed a kick up the arse

The Hilton

Ok, we didn't capitalize on our assault in the first 20 minutes of the second half.

Do we have a plan B? Or C? Or any plan at all?

Maybe put Ighalo in the middle, get Martial on the left, take out Williams, get a crosser on, maybe Mata? I don't know ffs, im not the coach!!

Ole is! And he's doing feck all! Change something for fecks sake! Ok, we didn't score, fine. Change something! Maybe keep the ball, maybe cross more often....football isn't one dimensional. You can train your teams to do multiple formations, multiple attacking options.

Feck!
I know mate I'm gutted too, sometimes these things happen, the best team by a mile lost.

Better options on the bench would have made the difference tonight.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Should be 5:2 United. It wasn't really a super hard match but team loves to overcomlicate things what should be simple pass or a strike.

Defense have still too much wankery in it.

el3mel

Be
Because EL is all about Champions League. As soon as we got it this cup became maningless to me.
Look, if we played like shit I would be fuming funnily enough but we were sensational for the second half onwards v Copenhagen and tonight against a quality side. I came out of this tonight excited about the future.
Fred playing deep could be a game changer for us. He freed up Pogba at times and was press resistent and mobile across the pitch.
Stuff like that excites me going forward.
I also dont think this seasons cup conpetitions hold much stock. 2 legs and we beat Sevilla.
Again, it just feels all pre season to me. It really looked as if extra time fecked us
Feck the trophy, the way we lose is enough to make my blood boil. Lose normally or get outplayed and I'll be mentally prepared, but to fully dominate the match, miss ton of easy chances that we'll score literally every day else then concede like this and get out, it's enough to make me angry. I hate losing this way.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd