EL L Europa League Semi-Final

Sevilla 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 August 2020

manuchamp88

Rashford has been off the boil since the restart, everyone's energy have just seemed to fade away and it's normal when Ole is stuck playing the 1st 11 cos the quality in depth (or lack thereof) is abysmal. We should be stuffing these Europa League fan boys. The finishing was atrocious, defending even worse...Lindeloef has some bloody nerve swearing at Fernandes. The whole defend was on another planet for that goal. Fernandes is more of a captain than Maguire, too.

lex talionis

We were a bit lacking in maturity but a match like this will help the players take that next step. So much to say about each player but we’ve got plenty of time for that.

For the moment, I hope management now understands that Sancho is necessary, not luxury, signing.

SwedishFish

We had Mata and Matic on the bench. Both have been proven capable of changing the game.
Matic is a DM, Mata can do it against minions. If we want to be at the level of Man City and Liverpool we have to get better pieces. It's very simple.

Heinzesight

Tell me what was so bad about it.

He was quite easily our best player tonight in my view.
I didn’t say it was bad. Save that for Rashford.

It was average and he did things any competent midfielder can do. He’s done the minimum you’d expect. What I don’t see is this ‘fantastic’ performance. What did he do that was World Class then? He’s a fraud.

newgiz

Disappointed with the loss.I thought we played well. We just didn't convert the chances we created. part of me thinks that these players are exhausted and need a break to refresh considering the number of minutes they have played.

it's clear that Ole doesn't trust his options on the bench. If there's one criticism this season that we could level against him, that would be it. It's a bit ironic though considering that he's the best super sub there has ever been.

Having said the above I wouldn't put too much blame.on him. I think it's important that we make the right signings to.take us to the next level. We need quality additions especially at CB and RW along with couple of options at LB and CM.

it's now for Woodward and the board to deliver and I hope they don't disappoint us.

Onwards and Upwards!!!

Squeaky Bumtime

Composure was non existent. Pogba and Fred were firing those passes to front players. Rashford looked lost and was again doing pointless dribbles which weren't working. Martial and Greenwood missed so many chances. To be fair to Martial he made them also and was unlucky but still you need to take those chances.

Less said about our Defence the better it is.

Also Bruno overall play leaves lot to be desired. I know his stat is isane but since West Ham game, he has been awful. Not sure how much it is down to fatigue
Bruno was good tonight.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Someone on here made a comment this week that stuck with me. It was something around wanting to use this game as a barometer for whether United have moved up to that level required for Champions League football. It stuck with me because I think it was spot on.

We lost the game, but we were far the better team IMO and thats encouraging against a pretty good and very resiliant Sevilla side. We win this game 8 out of 10 times with the chances both sides had, and sometimes it just doesn't go for you.

Obviously this place will be awash with dull and predictable comments from the agenda posters, but for me this has been a very good season with clear signs of progress in the team, but we have a real issue that needs to be addressed over the summer because we simply don't have enough quality available behind the first XI.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Thought the same...

I've read constant messages about how Martial is a better all around striker than the likes of Harry Kane, but...you kind of need your striker to be able to bury those chances. I've seen Kane miss the odd one, but never multiple in a row like that. Dribbling and pace is great but you kind of need the finishing ability...
In a crucial game too, you rely on your strikers to put chances away and they were on a plate.

arthurka

I'm going to make an unpopular post to cut through the inevitable bullshit. A couple of years ago Sevilla played us off the park, today we lost to them but no one who knows anything about football can say we deserved to lose. The progress is very very clear. For 15 minutes they looked like they didn't belong on the same pitch as us and they are a very decent team. For the first time since Fergie we have made clear progress and actually look like a proper side at times. We all know we are 3 or 4 players short and hopefully we get them in, our sub options for instance are horrible. The fact is that the progress made and the signings under Ole have been mostly positive and I think it's honestly the first time in ages to be positive about the future of the club.

I was terrified before tonight that we were going to be given another footballing lesson by a technical Spanish side but the reality is that we've lost a game that we were more than comfortable in and were clearly the better side. Painful yes, but the bigger picture is that we have plenty of reason for optimism. Let's hope the right signings are brought in and progress even further. It's a marathon not a sprint.
Well said

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
End of the day, it’s really disappointing and as others have alluded to you need to take chances at the highest level or you get punished. I hope that fires a rocket up their arses and learn a heavy lesson.

eire-red

I think you answered you own question before you asked it?
So the manager should always wait until we've actually lost control of the match before making changes?

No point in trying to change the avenue of attack or giving the opposition something different to deal with while we're on top then?

You could see us lose belief in ourselves from 60 mins onwards, he shouldn't have waited until the last 10 to bring on Fosu Mensah, Ighalo and Mata. That was just desperation.

What I was trying to say, which I don't think you caught up on, was that Ole should have changed the pattern of the match when we were on top, had a bit of structure to our play, but just needed something different.

Steven-UK

I thought Pogba was okay. Fred had a decent game too, by his standards. Rashford was very out of sorts and has been since he started spending all his spare time as a dinner lady.
Pogba did absolutely nothing, what were you even watching. He was a complete passenger.

mattsville

We were the better team but we wasted so many attacking opportunities, they defended well in fairness, but the likes of Rashford in particular is just so clueless with decision making, we also made a lot of inaccurate passes that stopped potentially good attacks, they created a few good quality pieces of play from scraps and they won, no complaint on that, we need to get our shit together up front, every time Rashford gets on the ball, and this is not new, I look for who is covering because the majority of time he loses possession.

pauldyson1uk

Decent enough game against a well organised team, we had more chances and should have scored but for an outstanding display by there keeper, we lost because out defence was shocking, Lindelof and AWB were dreadful and 100% at fault for both goals.
Would have been nice to get to the Final and win the trophy, but was not to be.
Next season and the CL will be beyond this team if we don't get rid of the dead wood and replace, we need a minimum 2-3 players, but doubt we will get them.
Pogba had a one of his better games.
Sancho if we get him and I doubt we will is not the only player we need.
Glad this season is finally over, 3 semi's lost.
3rd was enough to get CL , but we were lucky to get that, next season is going to be tough.
Is Ole good enough ? I am on the fence about him, get rid now or give him another season, I just don't know.

Godfather

Should have won that game jn fairness. Fred and Pogba were class in the middle. Bruno was very good too. Martial apart from his finishing, and Greenwood were decent as well.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I am very worried because were pretty much only going to have the next month off, and reality maybe 2 weeks before preseason and then its matches twice a week until lets say Feb.

We will have to rotate much much more but we just dont have the depth...

united for life

Poor poor defending. Williams was poor, lindelof was terrible. Very shaky, always risky partnership with maguire (not good enough). Bruno should be captain!
The lack of depth cost us the game.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Another semi bites the dust. Disappointed in yet another second half slowdown not actionon from the bench.

As much as missing those chances were criminal - Ole not being proactive and only reactive is on the same level.

Weak bench or not, you can’t leave your players struggling out there. It’s piss poor squad management at times.

We will always fall short in crunch games like that if we keep hoping tired and out of sort players will keep producing the goods. Ole needs to grow a serious set of balls.

Swearing Budgie

Pogba did absolutely nothing, what were you even watching. He was a complete passenger.
I was watching Sevilla v Man Utd. It was just on. Quite a good game to watch tbf. Pogba was solid if unspectacular in a more defensive midfield role.

Do you only rate midfielders based on goals and assists? Bit of a simplistic way of looking at it.

Falcow

Hard to win when you have Rashford on current form (for the last 8 or 9 games) in your team. He should not have started and his atrocious performance is proof os that. Ole needs to show some balls and drop players.

Berbasbullet

Someone on here made a comment this week that stuck with me. It was something around wanting to use this game as a barometer for whether United have moved up to that level required for Champions League football. It stuck with me because I think it was spot on.

We lost the game, but we were far the better team IMO and thats encouraging against a pretty good and very resiliant Sevilla side. We win this game 8 out of 10 times with the chances both sides had, and sometimes it just doesn't go for you.

Obviously this place will be awash with dull and predictable comments from the agenda posters, but for me this has been a very good season with clear signs of progress in the team, but we have a real issue that needs to be addressed over the summer because we simply don't have enough quality available behind the first XI.
Yep! I thought before hand that this was almost a free hit to see where we are.

I didn’t expect us to play as well as we did and lost the game to our own issues that we will fix.

cyberman

Feck the trophy, the way we lose is enough to make my blood boil. Lose normally or get outplayed and I'll be mentally prepared, but to fully dominate the match, miss ton of easy chances that we'll score literally every day else then concede like this and get out, it's enough to make me angry. I hate losing this way.
Really? Im the opposite. I think this is the best way to lose. We have plenty of positives to build off of.
For example, Fred seems to have helped stop the press from killing our forward play theough the middle. Its a small sample size but its really encouraging.
Id rather this than watching Sevilla dominate the game and send us out ala Chelsea

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
No point tying Matic to a 3-year contract if you do not bring him on (let alone start him) in important games where we do not have a majority of possession.

Fred did well, as did Pogba and Bruno, but he would have arguably helped keep the game under control at 1-1. With our front three's profligacy getting worse, and all of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood being competent strikers, switching to a diamond midfield behind two forwards might have made a difference.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
When you produce 8 big scoring chances and shots on goal, plus 7 outside the net, I have a hard time blaming the manager of all people for the result

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Matic is a DM, Mata can do it against minions. If we want to be at the level of Man City and Liverpool we have to get better pieces. It's very simple.
So you think just because Matic is a DM, he couldn't help our attack? Hah..

We just wanted to beat Sevilla. Who were on the Sevilla bench that we could use? But their manager wasn't afraid of making much much earlier changes. And it worked.

DavidDeSchmikes

Disappointing end to the season. But considering where we were after that Burnley defeat at OT in January,they has been some progress. We need to address the quality of the depth in our squad and push on for next season

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I cannot understand how VAR could not have overturned Sevillas first goal given it was meant to be our throw. You would think that it would be obvious.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Brandon Williams does not have the quality currently to be a reliable left back. Consistently allows them in to cross. I know he's young, but he needs significant improvement.

AndyMUFC

Very unlucky to lose that, have to be more clinical and need some more options to call on from the bench.

Hopefully we can go a step further and win a trophy next season.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I'm going to make an unpopular post to cut through the inevitable bullshit. A couple of years ago Sevilla played us off the park, today we lost to them but no one who knows anything about football can say we deserved to lose. The progress is very very clear. For 15 minutes they looked like they didn't belong on the same pitch as us and they are a very decent team. For the first time since Fergie we have made clear progress and actually look like a proper side at times. We all know we are 3 or 4 players short and hopefully we get them in, our sub options for instance are horrible. The fact is that the progress made and the signings under Ole have been mostly positive and I think it's honestly the first time in ages to be positive about the future of the club.

I was terrified before tonight that we were going to be given another footballing lesson by a technical Spanish side but the reality is that we've lost a game that we were more than comfortable in and were clearly the better side. Painful yes, but the bigger picture is that we have plenty of reason for optimism. Let's hope the right signings are brought in and progress even further. It's a marathon not a sprint.
Good post.

We’re in the position Liverpool were in before they got VVD and Allison and kicked on. The onus was on the players to turn up tonight and they weren’t up to it. The club needs serious quality bringing in, whether it be Sancho or anyone else who is up to it.
the subs as others have pointed out were handled poorly, but the quality off the bench is none-existent.
we have what is it four weeks now? To bring in players of genuine quality, if we don’t we can look forward to fighting for the top four and getting knocked out of every cup we meet a decent team in again.
Let’s see if the club is as ambitious as it’s fan base.
I think we need to get to a CL final to call ourselves worth of that position - we're where Klopp was the year before and bought Mane, Matip and Wijnaldum. We need the board to help Ole out here with signings of a similar ilk.

Berbasbullet

When you produce 8 big scoring chances and shots on goal, plus 7 outside the net, I have a hard time blaming the manager of all people for the result
True, worrying that our finishing is so bad.

tjb

We have a lot of questions that stop us from being very good to great. Solving one or two might make us certain challengers for the league. The question we have is, what do we spend on now as opposed to next season? In my opinion, looking at the present team, I don't see too many gaps in attack. I'm not sure we need Sancho and I feel like Grealish can cover the gap left by Greenwood and Rashford in consistent performances. Best of all, it give us additional depth, as one of Greenwood, Rashford, Martial and Grealish would be on the bench, therefore allowing us to rotate and have some quality on the bench in attack ( solving the depth issue we have there). Matic still has legs on him and with Fred proving that he can provide some quality to the role when called upon, we can have a stable rotation there till next season. Defensively, I don't trust Shaw, Tuanzebe or Bailly to stay fit...and neither Lindelof or Williams are that reliable. In fact, I feel that despite our initial attacking flaws last season, at the end of the season, our attack was close to perfect at times. What hurt us most in our games were the lapses in concentration in defence and set pieces. The window gives us the chance to sign an offensive full back that can circumvent for AWB's development in attack.

Crashoutcassius

its usually the agenda posters who keep saying every big game is the real test haha. they will jump on this one alright. i'd agree with you word for word though... if woodward can't see the lack of depth needs to be acted on... at the same time, i hope we don't look too desperate because city can get a winger for 20m that will cost us 60m if our summer goes as it usually does.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Really? Im the opposite. I think this is the best way to lose. We have plenty of positives to build off of.
For example, Fred seems to have helped stop the press from killing our forward play theough the middle. Its a small sample size but its really encouraging.
Id rather this than watching Sevilla dominate the game and send us out ala Chelsea
We lost against Chelsea in rather similar fashion; stupid goals when there didn’t appear to be a threat. It’s encouraging that we’ve improved attack wise but worrying that our defence appears solid then stops concentrating for a few seconds. Remember what SAF said that goals can come off someone’’s bum. A lot of potential there but lacking something

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd