EL L Europa League Semi-Final

Sevilla 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 August 2020

SwedishFish

Dan James has barely played in 2020. Despite not necessarily offering much on paper compared to Rashford, his energy would have worried Sevilla's right side. Rashford was static on and off the ball, and he was easy to contain for the most part. There were a couple of moments where he went past 1-2 players, but beyond that, he'd give the ball away for the most part and rarely get into goalscoring positions. On a hot day like this, I didn't expect Rashford to offer much more. Dan James, however, could have made more runs past the defensive line rather than waiting for the ball to come to his feet. Dragging away Jesus Navas/Kounde would have made more space for Martial & Bruno to do more damage.

Alternatively, we could have brought on Ighalo to add more of a presence in the box and move Martial to the left wing.
Dan James cannot control the ball let alone score or provide an assist. He showed that very clearly against LASK. Getting in people that is only good at running won't help much when finishing is needed.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dan James has barely played in 2020. Despite not necessarily offering much on paper compared to Rashford, his energy would have worried Sevilla's right side. Rashford was static on and off the ball, and he was easy to contain for the most part. There were a couple of moments where he went past 1-2 players, but beyond that, he'd give the ball away for the most part and rarely get into goalscoring positions. On a hot day like this, I didn't expect Rashford to offer much more. Dan James, however, could have made more runs past the defensive line rather than waiting for the ball to come to his feet. Dragging away Jesus Navas/Kounde would have made more space for Martial & Bruno to do more damage.

Alternatively, we could have brought on Ighalo to add more of a presence in the box and move Martial to the left wing.
Dan James can't control, pass or dribble a football, and he's a low IQ player. He was the last person we needed. Lingard would have offered more.

Heinzesight

We should get some more of these competent midfielders.

I was wondering how long you’d take to show us the stats. Listen, he got better second half but he was very average first half. Created nothing. Gave the ball away. He started playing better once Sevilla retreated a bit and we had them on the ropes a bit but it’s not World Class or even top level stuff from him. There were players worse than him tonight but he is supposed to be our main man. Time to cash in. World class players step up when they need to. He doesn’t.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Dan James cannot control the ball let alone score or provide an assist. He showed that very clearly against LASK. Getting in people that is only good at running won't help much when finishing is needed.
Yeah, you wouldn't expect much based on what we saw previously, and that'd understandable, but I didn't expect Munir to assist Luuk (and Luuk score as a result) either. Personally, I'd have taken that chance, whilst Ole (plus you and several others) wouldn't have.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Over reaction.
Nah it’s not. Apart from odd moments this season it’s not been great. Fernandes gave a lift but he needs help. I don’t know what’s happened to Rashford but he’s been terrible since the restart. Martial is hot and cold. The defence makes too many mistakes at this level. The shining light is Greenwood. Hopefully a few signings will turn things around.

Mihai

We win some VAR decisions and lose others.
Doesn’t take away the shocking defending
That's a throw in. The ball either touched the Sevilla player or it didn't. And the replays clearly showed that it did. It's not a foul susceptible to different interpretation.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Sad. Our once great club is now mired hopelessly in mediocrity with no end in sight.
Tonight was just the latest confirmation of this truth.
The ongoing saga over the Sancho transfer is another.

MrBest

Incredibly unlucky. Not our night. Just objectively not Ole's fault.

Back him in the market.

The end.
AWB, 50M spent, brilliant defender but cannot attack to save his life. Looks awkward with the ball, bad decision making and even worse delivery. I potentially could see him at CB but I would question his ariel ability and positioning in the middle.

Maguire, 80m spent, decent player, shows some leadership but is consistently prone to school boy errors. I like him but I do not think we should build a squad around him, mot entirely convinced that he should be our captain, is incredibly slow and has agility like a tank and needs someone fast next to him to cover up his mistakes.

James, great start to his career, got found out quick. Needs space to run into, which he will not get at the top level. Very poor decision making at times, average delivery and is very selfish a she prefers to shoot rather than find the right pass to someone in a much better position. I think he was massively overplayed due to the lack of quality this squad has, i think year two is big for him.

Obsession with Lingard and Andreas led to the loss of one of the best youth players we have had in a while, Gomes. Imagine your are bossing the reserves and under 18s, you did well in pre-season and then request a loan move to progress. Then Imagine your manager says no. I dont blame the boy for leaving.

Ole has done good with Greenwood, his management of him has been exceptional but I am concerned that since restart, his ego is growing and he is getting too comfortable starting. He will be an incredible player and I believe Ole has been a major part of that.

Tactical failures, very often does not use his subs, does not change tactics, played Pogba deep for months as a holding midfielder and in two semifinals, instead of going for it, made his subs at 85 mins. I do not trust Ole to change a game, this is not football manager.

I want to see him backed but i really do not have faith in his execution. Saying that, he has shown some balls innthe last 18months but he is 100%, not a top club manager.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Is it just me that was watching thinking I wouldn't actually change anything? Apart from maybe taking Rashford off and putting one of our painfully average subs on earlier.

Our bench offers nothing.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Is it just me that was watching thinking I wouldn't actually change anything? Apart from maybe taking Rashford off and putting one of our painfully average subs on earlier.

Our bench offers nothing.
Difficult one isn’t it, the game was becoming fractured before they scored with both teams becoming disjointed so we needed to make a change then ideally, but you’re right, outside Ighalo who can we rely on?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
This is literally Sevilla competition. They just know how to win it it seems.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Was always going to be a tough game but I thought we would sneak through. Puts to shame lots ignorant posters on here this week writing Sevilla off as a pub side because some had the audacity to suggest Sevilla are a good side.
Not really. They wernt great. No better than the The team we faced with Mourinho team 2 years ago.

OGS for his tactics right, simply our forwards were not clinical enough and we had one moment of horrible defensive organisation.

Reality is we threw this opportunity away.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Difficult one isn’t it, the game was becoming fractured before they scored with both teams becoming disjointed so we needed to make a change then ideally, but you’re right, outside Ighalo who can we rely on?
It is. I was thinking James for Rashford but I can't say I'd have expected anything from it.
With Ighalo it's not like we were providing a lot to get on the end of, our chances were coming from playing through Martial. Ighalo isn't a big lump target man anyway. It didn't feel like a game for Mata.

We have no left footed wide player for left back to stretch play. No attacking right back or true right winger. We need quality options.

croadyman

Poor finishing and awful defending done for us.

3rd semi final defeat this season , we have our excuses for each of them but the fact is we just a rung below what is needed quality wise to win stuff.

You can't miss that many chances and complain afterwards , we got what we deserved out of it.
Yeah just like City we got what we deserved for sloppy finishing

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Why does Ole hate making subs?
I mentioned this in the Lampard thread. He has become terrified to make decisions more and more as the season goes on whether it be to rotate a player here or there or to make a sub before he is either forced to do it as a last resort or can do it without consequence when 3 or 4 nil up.

As I said Lampard has made some really poor calls at big moments in the season that have cost us points and nearly lost us a place in the top 4 for which we should have been cruising to but there is nothing more damning about a manager than lacking the conviction to even make decisions.

Robbie Boy

Not really. They wernt great. No better than the The team we faced with Mourinho team 2 years ago.

OGS for his tactics right, simply our forwards were not clinical enough and we had one moment of horrible defensive organisation.

Reality is we threw this opportunity away.
So we lost? So the fans making out we would walk all over them were talking shit? Yes.

Don't be so ignorant, they're clearly a good side. They weren't great tonight but who said they were? Makes it worse that we went out to them. As I said, I was confident we would beat them but expected a tough game.

BestRed

Gutted to lose that, played some great stuff at times, but just didn't finish it off. But you can't win games with that kind of defending on the second goal.

But overall Ole's building a very exciting team here, can't wait to see the progress continue on next season.

Red00012

Ole saying in the post match we dont have the squad depth...
It’s clear to see he doesn’t rate any of his bench .
86 mins he decided to bring on a sub .
And we’ve champs league next season where we can’t rotate like we could this season.

If we don’t strengthen we are in for a difficult season

Le Red

Can we focus on the good side? This match clearly showed that, albeit being a good team, we still lack cutting edge and squad depth, hopefully the board will understand that and act on the market accordingly.
Still, such an overreaction, we created so many chances and in a better day would have scored a couple more goals. The defensive system worked well in preventing the creation of chances, they had almost none. The worrying part is that they actually scored the few chances they had, and this had to be addressed seriously.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So we lost? So the fans making out we would walk all over them were talking shit? Yes.

Don't be so ignorant, they're clearly a good side. They weren't great tonight but who said they were? Makes it worse that we went out to them. As I said, I was confident we would beat them but expected a tough game.
Result says they won. The details show we allowed them to win through our own tardy and untidy habits.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We obviously should’ve won that, but if we continually can’t make ANY substitutions in ANY games, because we’re terrified of replacing any of our “Good XI” players...it doesnt really say an awful lot positive about our tactical acumen or coaching potential. I doubt we’ll be rushing into the market to buy any of their players, and yet they managed to make subs that won them the game...

Upgrading our second string is only half the battle if we haven’t got a reliable and consistent way of using them outside of simply “being good players”

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I am afraid the board is going to let down another manager who fulfilled his goals for the season.

croadyman

I get Ole doesn't rate that bench but what was the harm in throwing Ighalo on earlier than the 92nd minute, he just did not have anywhere near enough time on that pitch to make an impact.

Robbie Boy

Result says they won. The details show we allowed them to win through our own tardy and untidy habits.
I don't know what your point is? The post you quoted insinuated that I said they played well? They had more possession but didn't really create much in the final third.

I think you completely - maybe purposely - missed the point of the post you quoted. There was an arrogance from some on here making out that Sevilla are a nothing side and we shouldn't be worried about playing them. Fact is, the La Liga watchers said they were a good side and would be tough to play against. They have inferior players to us but are clearly coached well. I expected us to beat them but I also expected a tough game. You're stating the reasons we lost but I've never delved into that.

Can7onA

All our own fault, we did plenty to be out of sight.

Credit to Sevilla though, they're a tidy team man.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Ole saying in the post match we dont have the squad depth...

I get Ole doesn't rate that bench but what was the harm in throwing Ighalo on earlier than the 92nd minute, he just did not have anywhere near enough time on that pitch to make an impact.
It's really dumb to leave yourself with no options to change a game in a one off cup semi final. If that's the case he should have benched Greenwood who to be honest seems to have dipped in the last few games anyway and at least given himself an option he was happy with to bring on to try and have an impact on the game if and when needed.

(there is some depth in the squad not great but certainly better than how he has used it, the fact is none of the depth are sharp enough even if given a chance because he has basically killed them all dead by lack of action while at the same time running the same 11 players into the ground by giving them zero rest)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some shocking diving and play acting from some United players tonight too, Williams in particular.
Christ, you've had a couple of mares on here recently but this takes the cake :lol: yeah, the United players were the ones constantly play acting and diving :rolleyes: you're a WUM, clear as day. I'll be sure to keep you on ignore as I should after your shocker in the Tranfer Tweets thread.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't know what your point is? The post you quoted insinuated that I said they played well? They had more possession but didn't really create much in the final third.

I think you completely - maybe purposely - missed the point of the post you quoted. There was an arrogance from some on here making out that Sevilla are a nothing side and we shouldn't be worried about playing them. Fact is, the La Liga watchers said they were a good side and would be tough to play against. They have inferior players to us but are clearly coached well. I expected us to beat them but I also expected a tough game. You're stating the reasons we lost but I've never delved into that.
Just my opinion but I don’t think they are a very good side. They are Wolves level.

Whilst I’m not one who thinks we should be winning the league and am very happy with OGS and our teams evolution, post Bruno, we should beat teams like this. They are at the top end of ordinary but Nothing More.

shahzy

Just watched it, honestly we were unlucky. We made way more chances and should have atleast scored 2 or 3 goals. Sevilla got 2 chances and scored twice. That's luck on their part too. Us being unlucky and Sevilla being lucky and you get this result. Fair enough. Had we been outplayed i'd have been annoyed about that.

K_Ash

to lift the fans back up right way, Sancho's fee agreement must be announced before noon (Monday)

manunited1919

I'll be honest, there were moments where I thought that we'd have been better off with a more creative right winger. The positions where Greenwood picked up the ball would have been positions where a creative player like Sancho or Douglas Costa could have done more. I'm thinking that a creative winger would take 2-3 touches before putting quick cross in or playing a quick pass vs. Greenwood who took double that number of touches before playing a short pass out to someone else.
What we really need is a RB who can also provide a threat. And defend well without constantly lunging.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd