EL L Europa League Semi-Final

Sevilla 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 August 2020

unclefredo

Yep definitely missing that whole "throwing the kitchen sink at them" attitude towards the end of games. I suppose we'd need to bring back that fear factor teams had against us, and that starts with bolstering our squad.
I think this is the key point. Our bench can do a job against lower to mid table teams but when it really matters against the good team, it's not up to scratch. We simply have too many passengers that, if we want to get back to the top, we can't carry.

Overall though, I'm happy with the season - as I thought it was dead. For the first time in a long time, I actually enjoy most of what I'm seeing. As alot have posted though, it's key that season upon season we gradually increase the quality of the squad.

Craig Ward

Like us all - i'm gutted. Poor result after a performance good enough to win. Hugely frustrating.,
There were errors and we could pin-point individuals - but collectively - players coaches tactics were all a little suspect on times.,
I can think of at least 4 players who looked shattered at 60 mins - yet no subs. We seemed to play at the same intensity until the 90th minute as well.,
As usual with us though - we play decent but we cannot take our chances and get punished for individual defensive errors.,
i cant think of 1 player who could genuinely say "i left it all on the pitch - i gave 110%" Every single player could have done more to help us win. You cannot miss that many chances. Crazy we lost but we lost it - only ourselves to blame

Ricardo de la Vega

Really who cares. Its the mickey mouse cup. Only success for United is Champions League success and every year we fail to win that is a failure. Yes it would have been ok to win it, and better than losing for sure, but its not the end of the world.
What this tournament provided as an instructive lesson in what is needed for next year.

Member 113277

We were up against a strong outfit yesterday. Sevilla are top 4 PL easy. So on the whole we put in a very good performance imho. Williams had a difficult task from the beginning. Navas is top notch and the other guy on the right flank was pretty good too. To think William's young age, he can come out of that with his head up high imo. Mason is unique! So much talent!! Fernandes our best player! Still need strengthening in some areas. RB, MF (Fred just doesn't cut it for me), supporting CB alongside Maguire.
Don't disagree with most of the above, but I thought Fred played well and Pogba had a good game as well.

Member 113277

Really who cares. Its the mickey mouse cup. Only success for United is Champions League success and every year we fail to win that is a failure. Yes it would have been ok to win it, and better than losing for sure, but its not the end of the world.
What this tournament provided as an instructive lesson in what is needed for next year.
I don't think it is a mickey mouse cup, it's the League CUp compared to the FA Cup, second tier, but still good to win.

However, your last sentence is on the money.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
There was a lot to like about United yesterday but we lacked sharpness at the end of a long season with a relatively inexperienced bunch.

Get some rest now and look forward to more promising times, so long as the board doesn’t let us down.

Rooney24

After watching that game last night it seems to me rather than a Sancho type Player what we need is an out and out striker.

I`d bust the bank now and go and get Harry Kane. Move one of Martial, Rashford or Greenwood to the bench and we would be a lot stronger for it next Season.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Gutting to get beat in a game like that as we could easily have gone on to win the Europa League. That said last night will be a great experience for some of the younger players and it will certainly aid their development. It would have been a huge step to beat Sevilla who are traditionally strong in this tournament and with a more experienced 11 for sure. Fine margins though.

Overall the team propbably need to get back to Mcr and a few days break so they can go into the new Premiership season relatively fresh.

PieCrust

If we finish any of those chances, it still doesn't cover up the faults of the team, which is lapse of concentration at the back, lack of attack full backs and no squad depth. We need a lot more than just Sancho to continue improving. Lindelof needs to be replaced and we need FB's that can actually attack, win a 1 on 1 every once in awhile, and deliver a cross.

The lack of depth is just comical and was demonstrated in how we made zero substitutions while it still mattered. I like the progress that was made in the 2nd half of the season, namely Bruno's impact and continued development of Martial, Greenwood and Rashford, but it's not enough moving forward into next season.

Mike Smalling

Really disappointing loss, but we only really have ourselves to blame. The finishing was just not good enough. Martial was the biggest offender but Rashford and Greenwood also should have scored on their chances.
It was a decent performance though, and these types of games are bound to happen once in a while. We can just be happy that we didn't rely on this competition for CL next year. Hopefully this game has also served as an illustration of how much we need to reinforce. I wouldn't trust us to comfortably get top four next year without three good additions to the squad - preferably LB, CDM and RW.

Also, Sevilla were completely embarrassing throughout the game. Rolling around and screaming like they were shot at every foul or tackle. The referee completely failed to handle it as well.

crossy1686

career ending
As we lost we're now in pot 2 for the CL too, hopefully we avoid Bayern and PSG as they'd roast us.
we could do with it to be honest. I get the feeling that the people with their hands on the purse strings like to think we’re not that far away. A battering would force them to take positive action.

Russky14

Need to look at the game objectively. Yes better team & should have won so v disappointing.

Missed chances? Most of the misses were half chances at best. Only the Greenwood & Marital chances were real opportunities. Goalie got lucky on Masons & Martial put a little too much on the strike in 1st half.

All the others were at stretch & no the goalie did not have a blinder but the defence were v solid. The Copenhagen goalie did have a real blinder.

Issue for me Rashford screwing up the break away before half time. He does this too often & needs to be told to practice his control at pace.

Full backs an issue. AWB spider legs. Gives away a stupid free kick & then just lets the striker waltz past him for no reason. How old is he looked knackered for weeks. And the worst part he has multiple opportunities in games to take on last man or cross & he gives a pass inside. He needs to go into the reserves & learn both skills otherwise not up to it at the highest level.

William's been getting worse. The first goal could he have got a foot to it rather than let it run across him. Dehea was too slow on the strike & did not get across to it to at least get a hand on it

Basically defence needs sorting.& we need a better bench. We neex x3 quality additions for 50m each not sancho at 100m.

El Zoido

Another day we would have won this game, it was frustrating. If it’d been a two legged tie I think we’d have got through. Can’t make too many sweeping judgements based on the result, it’s the end of a long season and didn’t happen for us. Squad depth is a clear problem since it’s obvious Ole doesn’t trust anyone off the bench. Time to have a break, recharge our batteries, and hope the club support Ole in the transfer market.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Simples.

Watch the video of the last time we played Seville and compare the diff.

That's how far we have come.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Christ, you've had a couple of mares on here recently but this takes the cake :lol: yeah, the United players were the ones constantly play acting and diving :rolleyes: you're a WUM, clear as day. I'll be sure to keep you on ignore as I should after your shocker in the Tranfer Tweets thread.
He’s an insufferable twat. The forum would be a better place without these wumming opposition tossers.

pascell

we could do with it to be honest. I get the feeling that the people with their hands on the purse strings like to think we’re not that far away. A battering would force them to take positive action.
I get the same feeling also but that would be very naive of them to think so, I'd also question their knowledge of football if that's how they feel also.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We were the better team.

we didn’t take our chances and sloppy defending cost us.

We are a young team and the players will have to learn that you cannot let chances like that slip.

I Think people expected us to struggle a lot more against Sevilla so that’s a good sign. They frustratingly had 2 chances and scored 2 goals, it just wasn’t meant to be.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Regardless of performance, we absolutely deserved to lose for unnecessarily wearing our away kit entirely for marketing purposes...

::sonny::

Tonight you have seen the difference between a semipro coach (Solskjær) and a professional coach (Lopetegui)

croadyman

Please tell me there is no one blaming VAR missing that ball coming off Sevilla player in buildup to first goal as a reason we lost last night

RedStarUnited

After watching that game last night it seems to me rather than a Sancho type Player what we need is an out and out striker.

I`d bust the bank now and go and get Harry Kane. Move one of Martial, Rashford or Greenwood to the bench and we would be a lot stronger for it next Season.
Im so tired of this. Do people realise how unrealistic Harry Kane is? So Spurs will sell their best player, who is contracted for 4 more years at a realistic price? also, Spurs manager is Jose Mourinho. When has Jose ever sold a player he needs and has no issues with?

Unless you are saying you are happy with United spending 200m on Kane.

The Hilton

This is one that's gonna sting for a while, Sevilla robbed us like thieves in the night.

Gotta say though I can see the good a bit more clearly this morning - last time we lost to them it was a cowardly, spineless performance at home, where we didn't even try to win until we were 2 goals down, whereas this time we battered them at times, were clearly the better team, and with better finishing or less fortunate goalkeeping/defending on their part would have won comfortably.

Quality depth is our Achilles heel at the moment, a couple of high class options in the forward positions and we'll be right up there again.

Rooney24

Im so tired of this. Do people realise how unrealistic Harry Kane is? So Spurs will sell their best player, who is contracted for 4 more years at a realistic price? also, Spurs manager is Jose Mourinho. When has Jose ever sold a player he needs and has no issues with?

Unless you are saying you are happy with United spending 200m on Kane.
You are tired of this? My heart bleeds for you.

I offered an opinion. I didnt say it would be easy. The Phrase "bust the bank" would surely have gave you a clue to that. Do I mean we literally bust the bank? No.

Jog on.

crossy1686

career ending
We were the better team.

we didn’t take our chances and sloppy defending cost us.

We are a young team and the players will have to learn that you cannot let chances like that slip.

I Think people expected us to struggle a lot more against Sevilla so that’s a good sign. They frustratingly had 2 chances and scored 2 goals, it just wasn’t meant to be.
We had 3 1-on-1 situations and non of them ended with a goal.

They scored from two balls into the box.

We played well and we’re undoubtably the better team.

In isolation we’ve still made good progress this season.

It’s frustrating and annoying to bomb out like this but we’re not the only team that’s been surprised by ‘worse’ opposition this week.

Let’s get this summer right with recruitments and go again. We absolutely have to get the right players in now.

RashyForPM

I get the same feeling also but that would be very naive of them to think so, I'd also question their knowledge of football if that's how they feel also.
Woodward and Judge do not know shit about football. It’s blatantly obvious, and don’t even get me started on the Glazer twats.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The thing I'm most disappointed with is our reaction to conceding the second. We had 8 minutes left plus injury time but the team just got frustrated instead of being confident they could get back into it.

Especially with the amount of chances we'd made in the game, it was a bit odd but I think a step necessary to reach the mentality we want.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Tonight you have seen the difference between a semipro coach (Solskjær) and a professional coach (Lopetegui)
This stuff makes me weary. We dominated the game, created a pile of chances, played some lovely football, got done by 2 mistakes. Sevilla turned in a Mourinho like performance to snatch victory. Is that not the mindset we were looking to escape from? What would a 'professional' coach have done differently last night?

Slysi17

People have to stop obsessing with buying British players and being Brexit FC. Wan Bissika, Maguire, Rashford, and Williams were all crap. You could of got players in the other European leagues that could of done alot better. Manchester United have to stop with this obsession of buying British.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Man, if only we could have had Lopetegui, a man famous for falling upwards.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This stuff makes me weary. We dominated the game, created a pile of chances, played some lovely football, got done by 2 mistakes. Sevilla turned in a Mourinho like performance to snatch victory. Is that not the mindset we were looking to escape from? What would a 'professional' coach have done differently last night?
The way the Sevilla players were behaving Lopetegui must be a drama coach.

Strelok

The thing I'm most disappointed with is our reaction to conceding the second. We had 8 minutes left plus injury time but the team just got frustrated instead of being confident they could get back into it.

Especially with the amount of chances we'd made in the game, it was a bit odd but I think a step necessary to reach the mentality we want.
Our players are quite young/inexperienced, the only ones were able to keep their heads cool were Bruno, Pogba and Maguire I think. So it's understandable imo.

That kind of calmness/confidence would only come with age I think.

RedStarUnited

You are tired of this? My heart bleeds for you.

I offered an opinion. I didnt say it would be easy. The Phrase "bust the bank" would surely have gave you a clue to that. Do I mean we literally bust the bank? No.

Jog on.
It not just not easy, its nearly impossible and not a realistic solution.

Il get back to my jog.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We had 3 1-on-1 situations and non of them ended with a goal.

They scored from two balls into the box.

We played well and we’re undoubtably the better team.

In isolation we’ve still made good progress this season.

It’s frustrating and annoying to bomb out like this but we’re not the only team that’s been surprised by ‘worse’ opposition this week.

Let’s get this summer right with recruitments and go again. We absolutely have to get the right players in now.
Agreed, I hope they’ll take a good lesson from this. The best team doesn’t always win especially when you don’t capitalise.

anyway there was definitely some positives, we didn’t get battered like many expected, and at least we don’t get beaten by Sanchez, young and lukaku :lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Harry Kane has 1 goal more than Rashford and Martial this season. In a banging 2 and 3 fewer games respectively.

Harry Kane is going to cost more than £200m, a transfer fee in a covid world that has nothing to do with reality. Exactly how does Harry Kane massively improve us over Anthony Martial? Absolutely he's good for a handful more goals. Is a handful more goals worth £200m+?

Member 101269

This...

We played kids; had enough chances to bury them. They and Ole need to be more ruthless...

Have slept on it, I'm still angry about all those missed chances. The game should have been over early in the second half; then the defence went AWOL. You just knew we would regret all those chances. It's a massive opportunity blown.

The referee was terrible, but that isn't an excuse. When you miss so many clear opportunities in a semi final, you don't deserve to go through. Our own fault.

Rooney24

Harry Kane has 1 goal more than Rashford and Martial this season. In a banging 2 and 3 fewer games respectively.

Harry Kane is going to cost more than £200m, a transfer fee in a covid world that has nothing to do with reality. Exactly how does Harry Kane massively improve us over Anthony Martial? Absolutely he's good for a handful more goals. Is a handful more goals worth £200m+?
If you look at the league stats yes. If you look Overall it`s a different Story:

HK - 34 apps, 24 Goals
AM - 48 apps, 23 Goals
MR - 44 apps, 22 Goals

Throw in the fact Kane was out injured for a large part of the Season and the difference is clear.

Look Im not saying it will happen and dont want to turn this into a HK thread. But looking at our last two games with the amount of shots and only two Goals (both pens), he is looking more and more like the player we need.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd