EL L Europa League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Sevilla 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 April 2023

BorisManUtd

One good thing about this EL campaign - beating Barca. But playing so many games was always going to hurt us.

Tonight we were just not good enough.

2/3 games less in May is a positive for me.

spiriticon

I cannot believe how badly we threw this tie away after the first 30 min at home.

If I had my tin foil hat on, I'd investigate for match fixing

Blood Mage

We have nothing left in the tank. It's a case of hoping we can limp over the top 4 finish line now and hopefully begin a new prosperous era under owners who give a damn about the club in August.

SER19

As bad as anything we saw last august. And theres been plenty like that since league cup win. We haven't come on as much as some pretend and there's still a major overhaul needed. Ten hag the man to do it but overall on course for an average season

Mr Smith

Shit performance, but I'm honestly not losing that much sleep over going out of this competition. We've had too many games and it's been causing fatigue and injuries. Focus on the FA Cup.

Houdini

Could not care less about being out of this competitiion. We don't have the squad to be able to play in all competition. I preer top 4 and FA cup. The mentality is an issua and our second string players are mostly shite.
The Captain England - must go
Martial - feel sorry for the guy but he must go too
DDG - consider sell
Sancho - consider sell

CatsOfUlthar

Good luck to Sevilla.

Poor across the pitch.

Big test for Ten Hag, would be fascinating to be a fly on his office wall.

We can't do anything about it until Summer now, so we lose to Brighton on Sunday, and probably don't pick up many points in the league now either. Looking particularly at the Spurs and Villa fixtures, I think we should be ready to be further embarrassed.

I wonder what he does then.

We're clearly dependent not just on a few players, but on all of them playing together. We're like a FIFA video game team, meant to line up the same every week. Anyone out, especially two of probably the best defenders in the league, and we're a crock.

I'd say two Strikers, two central Defenders, a couple backup midfielders, and absolutely replace De Gea, as we should have a long while ago. At least his trial for a thirteenth place Spanish team went well...

Hester_manc

Too many players in the side tonight with no bravery at all. Imagine playing for United and getting spooked by a crowd. Just unbelievable.
Players I’d move on?
Jones
DDG
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Fred
Martial
Weghorst
Sancho
Elanga
McSauce
DVB
Would keep AWB, Sancho and McTominay. I agree on the rest of them and will add Dalot and Malacia to the list.

Jezpeza

Maybe knee jerk but we need to clean out 6-7 players in the summer.
Not at all. We are absolutely bang average past the first 11 and theres question marks over cm, rb, gk and striker in that. Sancho hasnt worked out tbh, we should move him on for a decent fee this summer with some others.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
To the bloke who mocked me for saying we needed to win by at least three at OT to have any chance of going though... you seem to have left the planet

antk

Somehow we had people talking about how we were better than Real (or any other CL QF team for that matter) just a few days ago.

eire-red

Maguire is such a destabilising presence in the squad, and him being a captain is just a farce. The entire team is nervous when he plays.

But it's not just him. De Gea, Sancho, Lindelof, Martial. They just wilt under pressure when things go wrong. Expect all out the door imminently, along with the cohort that just aren't good enough.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Reminds me of Liverpool under Klopp, early days. You can see the signs of a decent side, a style of play etc, but there’s a few players who aren’t up to it still. This was De Gea’s Karius moment. Just need to finish clearing out our Borini’s and Lallana’s. We’ll get there.

Gash tonight, mind.

RedIan

Seville were so up for that. Passion, desire, fight..
we were nervous, off the pace, lacked any desire. Looked disinterested.
The Passing was awful.
Never seen so many shocking schoolboy errors.
one things for sure the back up players are no where near good enough.

maguire has to go. i still remember a mate who supports Leicester pissing his self when we paid £80mil for him.

Chicharo

Yet another abysmal performance in Europe, and away from home in an important game.
We have too many players who simply either don't have the mentality of winners and tend to disappear in big games or are not good enough or both.
Ten years since SAF left. We can actually ask ourselves how much we have progressed during this time

CallyRed

We contributed to 4 of the 5 goals conceded over the 2 legs. You couldn't make it up.

HookedOnAPhelan

We have nothing left in the tank. It's a case of hoping we can limp over the top 4 finish line now and hopefully begin a new prosperous era under owners who give a damn about the club in August.
:lol: So fecking predictable. Which of the starting players today have a right to be exhausted? Antony? And he was one of our better players! (Not that that's saying much)

TheGodsInRed

In all honesty it’s what I expected after last weeks collapse.
It also shows exactly what we need in the summer, GK, CB, ST at the minimum.
We’ll never play true Ten Hag football with De Gea between the goal and the drop off when you take Varane and Martinez out of that defence is alarming
Agreed.
This team has a weak soft underbelly when things don't go their way. It's weak mentality.

always_hoping

Tie was basically lost by not finishing it off when 2-0 up in Old Trafford. Sevilla the worst La Liga side United have played this season but they love this competition and fully deserved all they got tonight as wanted it more and fought like tigers all night.

No problem with losing but what I want to see is at least making the opposition work hard to score. The 1st and 3rd goals total gifts that no serious or focus side concede goals like that.

Hard to see this flaky group of players lift it for the FA Cup semi final and even if they did would be better off not facing Man City in the final. Serious work in the transfer marker required this summer and that includes a number of those players that featured tonight are shipped out.

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
An absolute shambles.

I'm dreading Brighton, never mind City in a possible final. We need to close top four out, bank the league cup win and give ten Hag everything he needs (whether we get a buy-out or some sinister dickhead propping up the Glazers) to perform serious surgery on this squad in the summer. If we somehow get an FA Cup on top of that it's dreamland given we are so obviously lacking in quality, heart and temperament.

Cole9

I can’t say that I’m particularly bothered to be honest. It’s a Micky Mouse cup anyway. Bring on the CL next season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Could not care less about being out of this competitiion. We don't have the squad to be able to play in all competition. I preer top 4 and FA cup. The mentality is an issua and our second string players are mostly shite.
The Captain England - must go
Martial - feel sorry for the guy but he must go too
DDG - consider sell
Sancho - consider sell
DDG is out of contract in the summer and we should not be renewing. I hope ETH realises this and puts his foot down.

Player Ratings

3.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd