EL L Europa League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Sevilla 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 April 2023

Chairman Steve

Saw this result coming a mile off sadly. We’re missing Bruno, Varane and Martinez. Three absolutely integral players. Shaw and Rashford also integral but only half fit rushed on in the second half to salvage it.

We still have to depend on some duds from the Jose/Ole days.

Martial, Maguire, Sancho ideally need selling. DDG probably should be replaced. For every amazing feat he does, he does something horribly dumb to counter it.

Crimson King

Absolute horrorshow from De Gea but the rest weren't much better.

I am... weary. We might make top 4. But does anyone believe we can get recruitment right? That next season and the one after that will be about anything other than yet another struggle for top 4? I don't.
Feels like we're limping over the line again. Parasitic owners still hanging about like a bad smell. Starting to feel quite drained, and just want the season to end.

It's quite sad though. In January we were in 3 cups and even on the outskirts of a title race. A serious club with ambitious owners would have signed a couple of players to really push on in the second half of the new season. Capitalise on the momentum the new manager had created.

Instead we signed Wout Weghorst and Sabitzer on loan.

The-Mezzala

A lot of deadwood in this squad needs shifting. Time to be ruthless like Fergie was and get the weak ones out

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I can’t say that I’m particularly bothered to be honest. It’s a Micky Mouse cup anyway. Bring on the CL next season.
It is the affect it has on confidence going out like this. I would forfeit the semi on Sunday and just go for the Top 4. A walloping on Sunday could make it seriously implode.

Salfordlad70

Too many players in the side tonight with no bravery at all. Imagine playing for United and getting spooked by a crowd. Just unbelievable.
Players I’d move on?
Jones
DDG
AWB
Maguire
Lindelof
Fred
Martial
Weghorst
Sancho
Elanga
McSauce
DVB
Seeing the offenders listed like this makes me wanna cry

I would keep AWB as a squad player. We might not be able to give the others away though…

siw2007

Quite a number of players didn’t cover themselves in glory tonight. Not overly concerned about being knocked out but more the manner of the defeat as it feels like 4 of the goals we’ve shipped over the two legs we have gifted them.

It’s not news but a lot of us won’t be displeased to see the back of a few of these players come the summer. However, that’s some months away and we still have to finish the job in the league. We must avoid performances like tonight in order to secure 3rd/4th place.

Edwards6

Embarrassment of a performance, so annoying when you see players pulling out of tackles and being too fecking lazy to at least work hard even if you're playing shit

The Irish Connection

I’ve given up on De Gea after tonight.
Maguire a shambles.

But I do think ten Hag deserves criticism. His subs in the first leg and expecting Maguire to pass well out from the back on the turn, especially in the first ten minutes of the match when they would be pressing like mad men was a bad decision.
Its becoming a bit of a trend now these shambolic capitulations.

Castia

Exactly the same performance that we put in against Liverpool that, if Sevilla were a better side they’re netting 7

I can take losing but why do these absolute dog shit performances keep happening? We can’t even make simple passes and look completely clueless

Unam333

Too many performances like that this season. A lot of our players aren’t good enough but half of them have either been given new deals or are getting offered new ones on ‘reduced wages’

Sevilla fantastic, fair play to them. We gifted them a lot of goals but they looked massively more comfortable on the ball and the competition will probably be better with them in it than us.
Sevilla was fantastic today. Wish United had that spirit, believe, urgency and focus. You're absolutely right. There are stronger teams still in it, like Roma and even Feyenoord. In our current state, even if we'd miraculously won today, there was a high chance we were going to lose against our next opponents.

Irwin99

Worst performance of the season for me. In the 7-0 vs the scousers we had a decent first half and against City in the 6-3 we showed a bit of fight. This was against a gutsy but not very good opponent: I don't give a crap about all that 'It's their competition' nonsense, we shouldn't be beaten by them.

• De gea and Maguire- what more is there left to say?
  • Sancho- I'm tempted to say it's his attitude but I genuinely think he's just not a very good athlete. I mean, he did at least try and sprint back once but ran out of energy.
  • AWB and Dalot were chasing shadows, Shaw was shite when he came on and it looked as if he could have done more for the corner prevention on the second goal
  • Casemiro and Eriksen got dominated in the middle of the park. Can't help but wonder why Fred didn't start.
Just so disappointing :( Not looking forward to Sunday

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
I don't understand why the whole team collapses when one or two players makes those gaffes.
Real, Bayern and a whole dozen others go on fighting.
ManUtd it's like the team gets a halo effect when someone fcks up.
Very negative perception for viewers.

Barnslig

Seville were so up for that. Passion, desire, fight..
we were nervous, off the pace, lacked any desire. Looked disinterested.
The Passing was awful.
Never seen so many shocking schoolboy errors.
one things for sure the back up players are no where near good enough.

maguire has to go. i still remember a mate who supports Leicester pissing his self when we paid £80mil for him.
I honestly just wish we could see this from our team more often, a little bit of passion and desire. Even when we win it's mostly cause the opposition is rubbish, not because we actually look up for it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
UpaMaguire.
Maguircano.

If De Gea, Maguire and Martial are getting any meaningful minutes, this is how our seasons will go.

A striker, CB and CM are imperative this summer. Starting striker, rotation CB with Varane and someone who makes us not miss Eriksen/Casemiro when they don't play in midfield please.

I'm no Wan Bissaka fan, but if the budget doesn't stretch this summer, he can be the back up RB for another season. The other positions are way more important.

Manny

Grammar Police
Same old players putting in calamitous performances.

hobbers

De Gea, Maguire, Martial and Sancho must have all cemented their futures as only lying elsewhere today. If ETH thinks any differently he won't be in the job much longer than next season.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It’s no surprise with the players on the pitch. We still have a good few head droppers, without Varane, Martinez and Bruno we have no leaders.

with our first XI we are decent, a few injuries and we are an awful side with no fight as no one takes it by the scruff of the neck

redcucumber

As bad as anything we saw last august. And theres been plenty like that since league cup win. We haven't come on as much as some pretend and there's still a major overhaul needed. Ten hag the man to do it but overall on course for an average season
3rd place, league cup win, minimum FA Cup semi, and Europa League quarters is much better than anyone anticipated at the start of the season. SO, definitely not average.

Rustyspider13

We bottled it. We play subpar, incompetent players who can't make it at this level and we simply capitulate. It started with Varane's injury and has ended with this shambles. Without Varane and Licha we can't defend, without Bruno we can't create and without Rashford we can't score. It has been shown repeatedly this season, unless we play our first choice XI, we can't play any semblance of football. Our backups are actually bottom half PL level.

Taken this match into isolation, Casemiro and Eriksen massively disappointed today. Their long balls were not accurate enough to pose any threat. And even when they found their target in Sancho, he did feck all with it. With Wout coming on, we lost any hope of actually keeping the ball in high areas. Attack simply didn't function. The less said about the defense the better. I don;t want to pop a blood vessel.

It's a disgraceful exit from the EL about having one of the best ties against Barcelona. I'll take one last opportunity to moan about refs against Spanish sides with those ridiculous decisions against Licha which caused us to be second in our group and against Bruno which made him miss this game. Hope we don't have to play in this competition for a long time.

Ricky Spanish

Shit performance, but I'm honestly not losing that much sleep over going out of this competition. We've had too many games and it's been causing fatigue and injuries. Focus on the FA Cup.
:lol: Brighton will beat us, and that's better than City beating us 5-0 at Wembley

sevenxl

The club or even better the players need to make a decision and fully refund the fans that travelled out there.

Thrillho

Sancho, Martial, Maguire, De Gea straight in the bin please.

Major reinforcements needed in the summer.

theatreofdreams777

We lost this tie last week when we refused to score and missed chance after chance. They were there for the taking but we didn't capitalise and that's your punishment when you get complacent.

This match had only one thing positive about it : It showed that why Maguire & Lindelöf and some other mentally weak players should not be at this club anymore. We literally sabotaged ourselves in both games and deserved to go out.

Gfooty

Case looked gassed, like completely. Looks like he needs a 3mnth holiday. Maguire should really be gone. Not even as a backup player, let alone captain. Martial really making a new definition of injury prone.

stevoc

We lost this tie last week with those arrogant subs when they were there for the taking. Bringing on Weghorst and Elanga allowed them to push out. Had we waited until it was 3-0 this tie would have been over.

mark_a

Well, the positive has to be that Maguire, Martial, Sancho (for starters) have to go. Unless we get serious about shipping out and recruiting properly, we'll be here again this time next year.
Even if we go out of the FA Cup, as long as we get top 4 Erik will have over-achieved and turned things around. But, we need to make serious decisions to backing him.

That was a mad game across 2 legs. 5 gifts, including 2 own goals did for us. And our thin tired squad was exposed. I'm only surprised that we managed to deal with Forest in the PL in the interim!

We've got a great chance of building on Erik's first season, hopefully we'll cement top 4 and even win the FA Cup, but we're a few good signings (and a few backup signings) off a title challenge.

Banana Republic

We may have been shite all over the pitch, but De Gea was directly responsible for all 3 goals.

Martial proved his fragility a few seasons ago. Should have been sold long before now.

Casemiro struggled for almost all the match.
He was all over the place with his loose passing and poor defensive display.
What happened to that mercurial rock?

Had Shaw been dragged out of bed before he came on?

Fabio Rochemback

Weghorst is the worst player to get significant minutes of Man United in the last 25 years. Am I wrong?

Player Ratings

3.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd