EL L Europa League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Sevilla 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 April 2023

Hampshire Rec

I don't want to get into the negative posts and singling out specific players all I can say is collectively the whole lot last night were utter gash!

Far too many, if not all off the pace last night and for me I would suggest that at least 5 maybe 6 of the starting line up should be looking for a new club by June this year!

Last edited:

Gopher Brown

And people are mocking Rangnick for saying we needed ten new players over a couple of seasons.
I don’t think anyone was mocking him for saying that. I think the vast majority of people on here agreed with his assessment,

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don’t think anyone was mocking him for saying that. I think the vast majority of people on here agreed with his assessment,
Just go through Rangnick thread and read the posts there. Everyone was shitting on him when we had a great patch of form

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The whole "it's ok to lose/ trophies don't matter" mentality instilled by the previous regime is still visible among so many of the players. The only way to detox is to get rid of those players who were leading a happy/comfy life under the previous manager.

croadyman

Won't happen but hope this was the signal to sell De Gea,Maguire,Dalot,Sancho and Martial

zenith

No need to overreact to this game. We were without 5 key starters which included our 2 best defensive and offensive players in a tough away game.

We already know the players which are utter gash and need getting rid of including Maguire, martial and possibly Sancho etc.

Only unexpected performance was from ddg, who had an absolute mare. God knows what got into him

ayushreddevil9

The whole "it's ok to lose/ trophies don't matter" mentality instilled by the previous regime is still visible among so many of the players. The only way to detox is to get rid of those players who were leading a happy/comfy life under the previous manager.
They are incapable of selling or even letting go. They see it as too much work. We don't even have any money this summer so there will be an excuse to renew contracts of these underperformers.

captaincantona

Everyone looked unfit…like they were exhausted from 10 minutes in. Midfield so slow, no energy no bite. I wonder if Fred slept with Eriks daughter? Is that why he has been exiled?

Hopefully Bruno, Shaw, Malacia, Rashford, Fred all in against Brighton - I hope he doesn’t try play the same team to prove a point! - oh …and Martial has burned me too many times…I’m done with him too.

ayushreddevil9

No need to overreact to this game. We were without 5 key starters which included our 2 best defensive and offensive players in a tough away game.

We already know the players which are utter gash and need getting rid of including Maguire, martial and possibly Sancho etc.

Only unexpected performance was from ddg, who had an absolute mare. God knows what got into him
Sevilla are 13th in La Liga. We had 6-7 first team players playing. Can't string passes together, can't shoe any passion, can't be arsed. No excuses. Overreaction is justified.

keithsingleton

That game along with the scouser fookers the worse games of our season. Not going to let it ruin what I think beers a decent season when you compare us under Ole.
ETH still the man for the future and even though I can’t see us winning the FA Cup with new additions it will be another step in the right direction. Long way to go before we can catch the noisy neighbours but I’ve had more smiles on my face watching United this year than I have the last 5/6 years.
COYR

Gopher Brown

ayushreddevil9

ManRed

I don’t know. Could be his own limitations, or could be instructions to play it to the nearest man. I agree it’s a risky pass, but not uncommon amongst top teams.
Top teams? I have seen that pass by bottom team keepers against us to beat the press. I think its his limitation/confidence and not an instruction issue.

Red_Aaron

When we fall we really fall hard.

I do think this season has shown a lot of positive signs but we're so fragile it's unbelievable. Bad mistakes happen to all teams, even the very best but what the best teams do is not panic, they hang in there and find a foothold somewhere. It's a cliche but it only takes a second to score and as bad as we were yesterday if we'd just battened down the hatches, put our bodies on the line, scrapped and got to those last 15 mins at 1-0 suddenly the pressure is on sevilla to defend with the finish line in sight. Instead we compound the mistakes with even more of them, we try to force the issue, we don't stick together, we panic.

It was an absolute shambles yesterday and displayed a complete lack of nous and intelligence and character. No one is exempt, it is unacceptable at this level

Clearly we have players we need to move on and gaps in the squad we need to fill but ETH simply has to get hold of this mentality issue because if we can't play under pressure we'll never win the big prizes

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Sick of:

DDG
Maguire
Martial
Sancho
Sabitzer
Wout

They all need shipping out, even if it’s on the cheap. No team can carry those players and expect to win anything!
What's Sabitzer done wrong?
He's been solid for us. He's also a loan, so listing him and Wout is abit weird, they're gone regardless.

Josep Dowling

Surely has to be the final straw for De Gea, Maguire and Lindelof. That CB pairing comes back into the team and suddenly we are a mess defensively again. They’re not even good back up options.

De Gea causes as many problems as he saves for me. It’s no coincidence our last Europa League win Romero was in goal the entire tournament. He has world class saves in him but some of the basics he’s absolutely shocking. We know he can’t play out from the back. His kicking and distribution is the worse part of his game. Pep immediately got rid of Hart because of it. We need to do the same. But I know we won’t as United can never accept cutting their loses.

I’m loving my life

This is so on the money

We know Ten Hag has a winning mentality-he has to work with some of the dross from the previous regime, but time has told they are dragging us down. He gave them a chance. They threw it back in our faces. We don’t want these overpaid wasters to contaminate our new start. God knows our losing mentality comes from our owners who will hopefully feck off too soon to help matters

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
What an absolute shocker. However what we seen last night was Maguire, DeGea (who I normally defend) disaster class.
With Varane and Martinez out we go back to that poor defence of last season. We have to sell Maguire and replace. It doesn’t matter if we only get 30m, he has to go. De Gea had the worst performance of his life. I’m not going to mention Sancho he doesn’t even put a shift in.
It’s also really clear Martial is done, he has the resilience of a 5 year old.
I would be stunned if we get 30m. No one is paying money for Maguire, a loan is the only realistic option.

Baneofthegame

Slept on it, whole team was atrocious, the lack of intensity everywhere on the pitch was shambolic, just as bad as the second half vs Liverpool.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Amy post match interview by any of the players?
Eriksen:

“A lot of things happened. We didn't really give them a game from the first minute and we gave them a lot of opportunities to finish us off.

"We lost a bit of our coolness, we made more mistakes than we do usually and the whole team could not catch up with mistakes our team-mates made.

"If you give away goals like we did, you lose, it's nothing to do with the atmosphere. Our own game was not strong enough. It's football, sometimes you have good days, sometimes you have bad days and it was a bad day. Luckily we have a game in four days.

"Every football player makes mistakes, they punished us straight away. It's how we bounce back and today we were not strong enough to bounce back from the mistakes.

"The mentality has to change, we know it will be a completely different opponent and different style so from tomorrow we will be focusing on Brighton."

Maguire was one of the first players off the pitch. No interview. Captain material that.

SteveCoppellFan

I can see why DDG and Maguire are getting it this morning but the midfield and forwards did absolutely nothing in this game either.

Still need about 6 decent additions this summer.

The Siege

Frankly, I'm all right giving youth team defenders a chance ahead of the likes of Maguire. That jittery energy he brings into the team is more damaging than his actual gaffes, it goes through all the players on the pitch and makes them less confident.

Other than that, I'm not very angry about yesterday, we were missing 3/4 key defenders, our main creative force and our main finisher, either completely or nowhere near full fitness. It was always going to be difficult to win a key european tie with a patchwork squad whose quality dips steeply from the starting XI. Injuries have taken us out, hopefully we can hold onto 4th in the league.

Thrillho

Thought I’d cool off overnight but still fuming. Worst performance of the season so far. Yes, even worse than the Liverpool game. At least we were still in it for most of the first half there, and there was some fortune on Liverpool’s side.

Last night though up front we couldn’t hit a cow’s backside with a banjo. Midfield was non-existent. Defence calamitous.

Martial, Sancho, Maguire and De Gea stinking the place up so badly I could smell them from my living room. De Gea at fault for all 3 goals, including the second, where he had the opportunity to shift his body back to tip the ball over the bar but didn’t for some reason. None of those four should be involved on Sunday but I suspect most of them will.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
An awful display from us against a mediocre team and we made them look like world beaters.
The reality is that we cannot play against high pressing and high tempo teams away from home. We just can't keep cool and we can't keep the ball as ETH wants to. Also we can't counter.
Pointing out our worst performers is understandable, but where was Maguire, Lindelof or Sancho against Liverpool or Newcastle when we've played in a similar manner?

AlPistacho

Top teams? I have seen that pass by bottom team keepers against us to beat the press. I think its his limitation/confidence and not an instruction issue.
I’m talking about the pass that DDG did, not the one he was supposed to do.

Matson

Kind of crazy when you think about it. All of there goals where 2 OGs and 3 defensive howlers. Better just to wipe this game from memory.

LegenDario23

And to think there were messages on Tuesday and Wednesday saying Man Utd would beat Real Madrid on two games…

IRN-BRUno

Overall performance was the worst of the season. Just awful from everyone except Antony who at least looked up for it and Elanga, primarily because he wasn't on the pitch long enough and at least managed a shot on target in that time.

We have managed to bounce back well from these kind of results so far this season but Brighton on Sunday is going to need a huge improvement for any chance of winning that game.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yet another shite performance from De Gea against a Spanish team. I think he needs to see a psychologist.

Really disappointed with the effort yesterday. They acted beaten the moment that first goal went in. Was basically a foregone conclusion at that point. Weirdly I thought Weghorst was ok when he came on (by his very low standards).

Zico1982

This was abysmal. Ridicuclous. Unworthy. De Gea and Maguire were like elephants playing in a porcelain store. Sancho played as if he was the porcelain in that same store. I will let DDG and HM off for now. Enough bad things have already been said in the last couple of hours about their performances. I will just leave it at "Disasterclass of the season". They were not alone though.

AWB was bad. Dalot was bad. Casemiro was bad. Eriksen was bad. Sabitzer was bad. Martial, Rashford and Shaw were really bad. Wout was just Wout. That leaves Lindelöf and Fred, who were both okay, and Antony, who was good, and very lonely.

Wait. I did not forget about Sancho.

I am worried about him. We all know, that he has had issues this season. They are not gone. He should never have played yesterday. He pulled out of every tackle and he avoided doing runs, making him unavailable for passes. Eriksen did pass him a few times where he could have taken a player on, but he just stopped the attack. Every time. When he got the ball, he always opted to play the fastest and simplest pass possible, and he never took a man on. In short. He was scared as hell of making mistakes, and choosing the obvious solution to avoid them. Trying not to get on the ball. Hiding. This has been going on for weeks now, but yesterday was the pinnacle. He was'nt the worst player on the pitch. He was'nt playing at all.

I don't write this to be mean. Sancho was undeniable a world class player at Dortmund, doing fantastic things on a weekly basis. It was'nt a stupid idea to buy him at the time. On the contrary. He was the real deal. This is no longer the case. Now he just looks like a young man in a deep deep hole. I wish for him to get out of it, but I really don't want him to be playing right now. For his, and for our sake.

Going on. We have a lot of players missing, injured or coming back from injuries at the moment. This would never had happened with Varane, Martinez and Bruno in the team. Playing with a not 100 % fit Rashford, Shaw and Martial/Eriksen not up to speed does'nt help getting results either. That is surely a part of the explanation. It is nowhere near an excuse for what happened yesterday though.

Enough has been said about the defense and DDG. I thought Lindelöf did ok. Everyone else was playing Little League.

At the other end of the pitch we were actually even worse. Three of the front four players were simply hiding, Antony being the exception. Martial, Sabitzer and Sancho made just about zero runs and Rashford can not have been ready. He did not improve anything coming on. Wout worked hard as usual, but he is to slow to get on the ball when making runs. Making runs are "the basics" for attackers. Without runs, the midfield can't create a thing. If you are not fit or too scared to want the ball, you should not be on the pitch. Period. EtH is also not innocent here.

That leaves the midfield. Sabitzer was a mistake at 10 in a game like yesterday. It should have been Casemiro and Fred behind Eriksen. We were overrun all the time, and that happened because of several things. 1: Harry and Lindelöf are too slow at playing out from defense. Same goes for AWB. That made it easy for Sevilla to dog our midfield the second they received the ball. (Martinez, Shaw and Varane are much better at this.) 2: Casemiro was left with way too much ground to cover. The centerbacks stood too deep and Sabitzer often too high, forcing Eriksen to drop too deep. Casemiros passing and tackling was'nt up to his standards as well, loosing lots of 50/50-challenges that he normally wins. 3: Eriksen. This match was a nightmare-scenario for the dane. Forced to drop deep because of the slow motion build-up from behind, and with noone but Antony making runs. That robs him of all his strengths, leaving him to defend, which is not a reason for starting him over Fred. I have seldom seen or heard him as frustrated as yesterday. He was really pissed at what was going on. 4: Sabitzer. The austrian is not Bruno. His strengths are aggression, playing fast and pressing the hell out of his opponents, shooting at every possibility. That is the Rangnick-Game, implemented with great success at RB Leipzig, where Sabitzer was a great player. That does'nt really work at Bayern or here. We don't have the players for it, and it's not our game. Other Leipzig players has had the same problems when transferred to other clubs and systems. Werner is a great example of that. As of now, Sabitzer is a hybrid, playing well at 6, 8 or 10, but only if we are standing high. With space between the lines, Sabitzer goes missing in Limbo. That's where he went yesterday.

Enough for now. Let's make the Top Four and beat the shit out of Brighton.

Last edited:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I don't want to get into the negative posts and singling out specific players all I can say is collectively the whole lot last night were utter gash!

Far too many, if not all off the pace last night and for me I would suggest that at least 5 maybe 6 of the starting line up should be looking for a new club by June this year!
Yes, virtually all that team underperformed last night, so you could be right that half of them could be on their way in the summer, but it's amazing how a couple of players coming into that side would probably transform them into a decent team.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We really do have a great knack of losing spectacularly when we do lose. It would be an admirable trait if it wasn't totally soul destroying.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Has Luke Shaw spoken to BT yet about how it’s not acceptable, they need to do better and he doesn’t know what went wrong?
What are they supposed to say? It was a crap performance

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The same players fail again. To move forward we have to rid ourselves of those players. It's not just Maguire, but he should lead the way out the doir

AFC NimbleThumb

The same players fail again. To move forward we have to rid ourselves of those players. It's not just Maguire, but he should lead the way out the doir
Exactly this.

Go over the last 3-4 years & look at the record breaking losses upon losses. One constant are certain players.

You can’t foster a winning mentality amongst players that know they can lose 3-0 last night but will be forgiven for a 2-0 win against a Forest etc.

We’ll be here again next season.

Player Ratings

3.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd