PL D FA Premier League

Sheffield United 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 November 2019

Drifter

American
Thing that stood out in the game,was how unprepared we were against Sheff.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
One positive: this young team have fight. They’re going to mature into a proper resilient never die united team. They were even without their captain Scott today

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Just show how pathetic we are. We have been battered by a promoted team in every aspect of the game.

We have absolutely no game plan, nothing.

Martial was shocking, as much as his attitude. In this kind of game, Martial is totally useless. No activity, nothing... A team with so many average players

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Poor Ole.

He’s got a tough away match against a professional, gutty side. His midfield is decimated by injuries, and he has to play two sub par options in Fred and Andreas. Thinking Maguire can step forward and help dictate play as the 3rd CB, he goes with a 3-4-3. It was a disaster. Lucky to go into halftime down only 1-0, frankly. Sheffield United punched us in the mouth, the refereeing was very poor and we didn’t respond.

Switches to 4-3-3 and we start to play better, but Pereira gives the ball away. Goal. Desperate, we then go on to score 3 in 7 minutes against a side that has given up 9 goals all year. What heart! This is what we have been waiting for, a side that fights when down.

Then he gets criticized for bringing on Tuanzebe. I don’t think people realize that every top manager makes that change. We were essentially playing 5 forwards.

VAR goes against us, it was a clear handball. Furthermore, the first SHU goal was a shoulder charge, a clear foul, but since the fat referee was so far away and the linesman was blind/inexperienced, it isn’t whistled.

I literally have seen 6-7 posts from different Neandrathals blaming Ole for picking Pereira and Fred. Who is Ole supposed to play?? Juan Mata? Mata is the last player you want on that pitch against those bruisers. Matic is injured I believe. He’s got nobody to play a midfield 3, and has to trot out Lingard who should never be a part of a midfield 3.

I know the Ole Out faction in the Caf giggles with glee every time we are scored against or we can’t seem to find the goals to win. Sooner we get him out, the better, they say.

I see progress. I see fight and determination. We need two more transfer windows to continue the rebuild. I’m willing to give these kids a chance. One thing Ole has done is changed the culture. We came up short at times today, but the effort was there.
I don't think bringing Axel on was the problem it was the speed he did it. If you watch the clip of Rashford's goal you can see Ole and the coaching staff in a huddle discussing things. When he made such a quick change it put the idea in Sheffield's head that we were not going to carry on pinning them back and they could come out more. Axel would have been a time wasting sub for me a couple of minutes from time. Even though we still went forward the change gave the other side a bit more confidence that they could get something. Of course this is hindsight talking.

Judas

Open to offers
Not only is it well known how Sheffield United play, we had two weeks to prepare at least with some of the squad, or for the management to have a plan very much mapped out. Failed.

Jonno

Complete disregard to preparation for this game. All they had to do was watch how Sheffield United play and be ready to scrap for our lives.

We turned up, wanted to play nice football - the type that Pereira likes to play, where nobody gets in his face and smashes him off the ball. Where Martial doesn't get time or space on the ball so he just goes in his shell after 20 mins and stops trying off the ball, and the type of play where our CB's are completely exposed due to playing wingbacks that are told to play as midfielders, so Jones is getting targeted for 1 on 1's down his side and he's incapable of making sensible decisions (like putting the ball into the stand for a throw-in).

We were not as fit, not as quick, not as disciplined, not as strong and we didn't want it was much as them. Our tactics were all wrong, granted he didn't have much to choose from in terms of midfielders, but he had all frigging week to plan for this game and the best he can come up with is "oh, well just not play a midfield,we'll just play 5 defenders and see what happens".

Not good enough from the players, terrible tactics from the management and we were lucky to get a point.

I'm watching Fred and Pereira failing to make 10 yard passes, Jones is a championship defender on his arse for half the game in our backline, Martial turning up when he wants, his hot and cold temperment is why he's scored 37 goals in 121 Premier League games. He's got the talent and ability, but he doesn't have the determination or drive to take him to the very elite level of World Class, the level we are striving for in our strikers.

We need better players to come in, and a better manager. Most people on here are saying its either the players or the manager. It's quite clear it's both that are at a nice, decent standard for 8th or 9th but not anywhere near the level for top 2 which is where we used to be not so long ago.

I hear all these noises about Ole changing the culture of the club, changing the mentality - We're midtable fodder putting gutless, spineless performances like that every 2 or 3 weeks.

It's not good enough.

montpelier

I don't think bringing Axel on was the problem it was the speed he did it. If you watch the clip of Rashford's goal you can see Ole and the coaching staff in a huddle discussing things. When he made such a quick change it put the idea in Sheffield's head that we were not going to carry on pinning them back and they could come out more. Axel would have been a time wasting sub for me a couple of minutes from time. Even though we still went forward the change gave the other side a bit more confidence that they could get something. Of course this is hindsight talking.
I didn't like it, as soon as he did it. Only based on how we'd been. And then finding 3 goals from nowhere. Why immediately change what appears to work all of a sudden? Apart from that they all nearly always do and fear of getting vast amounts of stick for throwing it away by not defending the lead.

Momentum and trust though, and it's a message to both sides like has been said.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Neville says that the Sheffield United manager wouldh't swap his two strikers for Rashford and Martial.

Esquire

Subbing Axel on was the absolute correct decision. You could say we had the momentum but Martial was the logical candidate to come off since we were nursing the game out, had 5 attackers on the pitch at the time and Martial was his usual lethargic self (aside from that great pass which released Dan James). Ole played the percentages and 9 out of 10 managers would have done it. I am slowly reaching the view that Ole is tactically deficient but on this sub decision alone it was the logical and correct move to make.

Judas

Open to offers
Neville says that the Sheffield United manager wouldh't swap his two strikers for Rashford and Martial.
He said that when we were looking absolutely terrible to be fair. Neville has a habit of being over the top because he simply cares too much, a bit like a lot of us on here really.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Complete disregard to preparation for this game. All they had to do was watch how Sheffield United play and be ready to scrap for our lives.

We turned up, wanted to play nice football - the type that Pereira likes to play, where nobody gets in his face and smashes him off the ball. Where Martial doesn't get time or space on the ball so he just goes in his shell after 20 mins and stops trying off the ball, and the type of play where our CB's are completely exposed due to playing wingbacks that are told to play as midfielders, so Jones is getting targeted for 1 on 1's down his side and he's incapable of making sensible decisions (like putting the ball into the stand for a throw-in).

We were not as fit, not as quick, not as disciplined, not as strong and we didn't want it was much as them. Our tactics were all wrong, granted he didn't have much to choose from in terms of midfielders, but he had all frigging week to plan for this game and the best he can come up with is "oh, well just not play a midfield,we'll just play 5 defenders and see what happens".

Not good enough from the players, terrible tactics from the management and we were lucky to get a point.

I'm watching Fred and Pereira failing to make 10 yard passes, Jones is a championship defender on his arse for half the game in our backline, Martial turning up when he wants, his hot and cold temperment is why he's scored 37 goals in 121 Premier League games. He's got the talent and ability, but he doesn't have the determination or drive to take him to the very elite level of World Class, the level we are striving for in our strikers.

We need better players to come in, and a better manager. Most people on here are saying its either the players or the manager. It's quite clear it's both that are at a nice, decent standard for 8th or 9th but not anywhere near the level for top 2 which is where we used to be not so long ago.

I hear all these noises about Ole changing the culture of the club, changing the mentality - We're midtable fodder putting gutless, spineless performances like that every 2 or 3 weeks.

It's not good enough.
It is certainly not good enough. Quite unlike your accurate assessment which identifies the main problems clearly and succinctly.
Shame no one takes any notice.

Tarrou

First half was one of the worst performances for years, they completely outplayed us.

Credit is due for the come-back but why on earth did we go back to the original formation at the end? Makes zero sense.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Some killer paras from Jonathan Wilson on yesterday’s debacle:

Sheffield United, for their part, fielded a reserve-team keeper who had not played a league game in 18 months and a 37-year-old centre-back who has started four league games in the past two seasons, yet Solskjær’s side still could not lay a glove on them for three-quarters of the game. Injuries offer some mitigation but only some. Other teams also have absentees and Sheffield United in their entire history have spent less on players than United spent on two defenders last summer.

What, anyway, does it say for the state of the modern Manchester United that Scott McTominay’s absence is so sorely felt? His qualities are unflashiness and consistently doing the basics well and yet he has become the straw that binds the brick and, when he is not there, all that remains is a muddy splodge. Nothing can be built from that.

Solskjær seemed delighted his side did not give up but that surely is the bare minimum requirement. A third of the way through the season United are 20 points behind the leaders. If the foundations of a glorious future are being built, they are very well disguised.

DomesticTadpole

Subbing Axel on was the absolute correct decision. You could say we had the momentum but Martial was the logical candidate to come off since we were nursing the game out, had 5 attackers on the pitch at the time and Martial was his usual lethargic self (aside from that great pass which released Dan James). Ole played the percentages and 9 out of 10 managers would have done it. I am slowly reaching the view that Ole is tactically deficient but on this sub decision alone it was the logical and correct move to make.
It was more the timing for me. About being tactically deficient, maybe as it is his tactics that dug us into a hole in the first place. He seems quite happy to want praise for going 3-2 up, but not the brickbats for going 2-0 down.

TRUERED89

The reason to keep coming back is because this place needs a balance in opinion, and right now the fans that I consider to be toxic are taking over the place.

I have no issue with anyone thinking Ole should leave. None whatsoever. The issue is with people who refuse to have an impartial opinion. Praise the good and the bad or you're just toxic IMO.

I'm certain there are a few fans on here who were pleased to see the equalizer so they could spend the evening spewing all over the forum.

This is a long term project to sort out this football club. What happened today doesnt make a difference really. The squad is being rebuilt, it needs to be rebuilt and patience is required otherwise we just continue to go round in circles as a football club
I was over the moon personally at 2-3. Reality came and slapped us all in the face about 10 mins later! A win would have been great for confidence going forward I suppose, but ultimately it would just be papering over the cracks. Having a non existent midfield and Ole’s shite 3 at the back formation doesn’t help. McT was sorely missed though.

DoomSlayer

I was devastated at FT after thinking we won the game with an amazing comeback. Haven't felt so dejected in a long time actually as I've had to tone down the amount of emotional stress from our results that I put on myself due to real life issues that take a toll on my health. :(

DomesticTadpole

I was devastated at FT after thinking we won the game with an amazing comeback. Haven't felt so dejected in a long time actually as I've had to tone down the amount of emotional stress from our results that I put on myself due to real life issues that take a toll on my health. :(
You take care of yourself. :(

TRUERED89

Who thought it was hand ball then ? I don’t think the replays were conclusive so VAR had to give the goal imo.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yet G Nev reckoned we'd win the league before Liverpool a few months back!

arthurka

Who thought it was hand ball then ? I don’t think the replays were conclusive so VAR had to give the goal imo.
Not clear and obvious, correct decision. But as soon as Ole changed us back to 3-4-3/5-4-1 I knew we would be in trouble.

Eric's Seagull

Gutted to lose that game. Felt terrible to be 2-0. A positive was that we went in front after being 2-0 down. Amazing finish from Brandon Williams. Beautiful ball from Rashford for Greenwood's goal, which he took well. Good ball from James to set up Rashford for decent finish. Disappointed to draw in the end.

TRUERED89

Not clear and obvious, correct decision. But as soon as Ole changed us back to 3-4-3/5-4-1 I knew we would be in trouble.
Yep I mentioned it earlier, taking Martial off for Tuanzebe pretty much told the opposition we’re going to sit back now.

POF

The system change was to 4-3-3 with Tuanzebe in midfield between Lingard and Fred.

Amazing how he gets no credit for the switch to 4-2-3-1 at HT or the change to 4-4-2 at 2-1 down that drove the turnaround but he's deemed tactically inept for the last change.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Is it possible to feel worse at 3-3 than it is to be at 2-0 down?? Have reflected on the game and still feel gutted. Haven't felt this gutted in a long time.

This could have been a real 'turn the corner' moment, opportunity to get to 5th, a chance to continue the upturn in form, a chance to really enjoy the Arsenal result, a chance to take some of the gloss off the Spurs win etc., etc.

Really frustrated by the result. :(

Kevzter

Definition of handball according to FIFA: "A ball can be handled with any part of the arm, from the tips of a player’s fingers right up to the shoulder.'' So definitely handball for me as shoulder is included as part of the arm, it shouldn't be but those are the rules.

The three at the back didn't work out and in the first half we looked more like the championship side from the two. Starting the game with Calamity Jones was a mistake after 6 months out. Once we started to play our style with 4 at the back we got hold of the game and were able to take shots at their goal and get 3 goals in 7 minutes!!

This game reminded me of United of old as I remember SAF throwing in the kitchen sink and bringing 4 strikers on in some games in which united were trailing. Back then most games were won in the last 15 mins as we would pile on wave after wave of pressure and win these games more often than not. However this is a huge gamble as you could always concede when playing this way and in hindsight I understand why Ole made the change, other managers would have done the same...even SAF, if he had any subs left to make.

Last edited:

RoyH1

Is it possible to feel worse at 3-3 than it is to be at 2-0 down?? Have reflected on the game and still feel gutted. Haven't felt this gutted in a long time.

This could have been a real 'turn the corner' moment, opportunity to get to 5th, a chance to continue the upturn in form, a chance to really enjoy the Arsenal result, a chance to take some of the gloss off the Spurs win etc., etc.

Really frustrated by the result. :(
The team showed a lot of heart in the second half. If we'd been Liverpool, VAR would have negated their third goal and we'd have the 3 points.
That said, we're not playing quality football and although I'm in the don't fire Ole yet camp, I've yet to see anything from him that make me think he can be our Guardiola/Zidane, heck even Frank Lampard is doing much better with his Chelsea squad.

DickDastardly

As clear and obvious as can be.

If this - https://ibb.co/2W0QxyT isn't clear and obvious, then i can't see the point of VAR.

You slow it down as much as you can..........you see the ball hitting his thigh, going uuuuup in the aiiiir, he makes like a bird and flaaaaaps his aaaarm as much as he can.....the ball hits his biceps...goes down....volley in to the net.

Speed it back up. No goal. End of. 3 points.

RedWat

before the game based on the number of goals both sides have scored and conceded (which is low and low). I was expecting a hard fought 0-0 or 1-1 draw, which I may have preferred, to being outplayed for 3/4 of the game then for 15 minutes show our attacking instincts. This inconsistency is just getting worse.

DarkRed

Reminds a bit the first PSG game last year, when he made two subs on 45th minute just before the break and gave them time to plan how to use this with every pundit in every country saying: wow! that is a very inexperienced move... but he will learn in time...

TRUERED89

If this - https://ibb.co/2W0QxyT isn't clear and obvious, then i can't see the point of VAR.

You slow it down as much as you can..........you see the ball hitting his thigh, going uuuuup in the aiiiir, he makes like a bird and flaaaaaps his aaaarm as much as he can.....the ball hits his biceps...goes down....volley in to the net.

Wow that’s quite a telling pic.. fecking VAR I actually thought it was inconclusive at the time..

arthurka

Sadly that's not how VAR works in England, it wasn't clear or obvious by any stretch of the imagination so VAR couldn't change it.

dev1l

To rub salt in the wounds there was a clear foul on Jones in the first goal incident. I know he was crap all game but that was a foul. 15 minutes later Rashford pushed one of theur defenders in a similar fashion and the ref gave SU the foul.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 314 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Sheffield Utd 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Sheffield Utd 0:2 Man Utd