g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Sheffield United 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 October 2023

Gordon S

Christ, when will things start to improve? When will EtHs masterplan kick in?
If you would make a combined 11 out of the 2 available squads tonight you would probably have 10 or 11 players from our team, still, we are grinding out another close win against relegation fodder. Our go to idea in attack is lift it long and hope that a defender slips so we can maybe have a 1v1 out of the blue.

PoTMS

AndyMUFC

Weren't great but got better as it wore on, particularly after the subs.

Say what you want about his shortcomings off the ball but we cannot control anything without Eriksen.

Fts 74

Much better second half deserved the win although it wasn't particularly pretty.

A win for Sir Bobby so I'm happy.

paulscholes18

we Won, poor performance, hopefully we will win one game by more than 1 goal this season.

Earth Wind and McGuire

Absolutely brutal. Stealing a win from the worst team in the league. Our shape looks terrible to the point the lads look like they have never played together. Rashford definitely needs dropped. Possibly Bruno too. Both their wages probably pays the full Sheffield team.

We were rancid and about as interesting as watching a snail cross the street. Really shit time to be a United fan right now.

Strelok

I think we were unlucky not to score more, that Garnacho chance, Hojlund could've had a couple and hitting the woodwork twice.
Agree. We hit the woodwork twice and had quite some good chances. We're still very poor though. Sheffield won't survive imo. Anyway a win is a win.

FerociousCorgis

They couldn’t get out of their own box for 90 percent of that second half. I’m not sure how much we could do apart from the final act of scoring a goal
And yet we created pretty much nothing in that second half. Besides the dalot goal there wasn't really much to worry about. We played a fecking team with 1 point who has been absolute trash all season and for anyone watching that didn't know it was Manchester united they prob thought it was two relegation candidates battling it out for points

Smudgers

Absolute dog , we’re getting worse , can’t pass unless it’s between the back four , no movement upfront , apart from Rasmus feel sorry for the lad , Antony ha how does he start in front of Garnacho or Pellestri is beyond me , tough watch so frustrating

Unam333

I think if we step up a gear and keep that intensity up then we are too hot to handle for most teams. Instead our play is too slow and our opponents can keep up with us.

I think how we tried to keep the ball in the end and kill off the game was very professional. Satisfied with the scoreline, we could and should have scored at least three today, but 3 points in the bag and that's all what matters.

MadMike

Not sure why people are saying "dreadful", "abysmal", "horrible" and other such nonsense. Have words lost all meaning? If this is dreadful what would losing 4-0 be?

Our attacking pattern is still... a bit chaotic to be called pattern, but otherwise today was a very improved performance. We scored 2 goals, had 3 big chances (Hojlund x 2 and Garnacho) and we hit the bar twice. We should have scored 3 or 4 if anything. We were unlucky. Oh and we defended much better than we have done so far this season.

Natener

This feels like a big 3pts for a midtable team. Not that we’ve extended the lead at the top, or kept us close to the leaders. No, not even top 4. That’s an important win to keep us at 8th place.

AnotherLondonManc

Surprisingly positive performances from Maguire and Onana today. Onana nearly made a clanger from the Brewster shot, but otherwise looked great.

I actually think Rashford played well today too. Didn't come off for him but played with purpose and was working hard.

Hojlund was fantastic in a dire first half.

Not a great performance overall against a very depleted Sheffield but positives nonetheless

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That was forgettable and gave me no reason to look forward to the next match. Such a dreary season so far.

- Amrabat grew into the match
- Hojlund looks so strong and a smart player. Wish we could get the ball to him more.
- Bruno gave away the ball 7 times with poor passes in the 1st half. None in the 2nd half. I guess ETH spoke with him.
- Maguire looked solid

Nothing else of note.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
It's the sign of a good team that play badly and win apparently. We must be world class then.

MonkeysMagic

Expecting this team to play with a style becoming of a Utd team of yesteryear is now just a pipe dream. I have no joy watching these bunch of players trudge thru 90 min game after game with dogshit performances.

I had a modicum of hope that new owners may change something but now its just more of the same.

fps

Never in doubt, you can’t be giving Dalot that kind of space from *checks notes* 25 yards out.

philippexyz

We are overachieving on the PL table right now, don't deserve to be as high as 8th. 12-14th place would be more appropriate - just safe from relegation.

Maguire man of the match, really good performance.

Red Royal

That was forgettable and gave me no reason to look forward to the next match. Such a dreary season so far.

- Amrabat grew into the match
- Hojlund looks so strong and a smart player. Wish we could get the ball to him more.
- Bruno gave away the ball 7 times with poor passes in the 1st half. None in the 2nd half. I guess ETH spoke with him.
- Maguire looked solid

Nothing else of note.
Good summary, I would add Garnacho is a good sub to bring on.

OT1214

I look forward to the day when our attackers finally start converting those chances.

Rustyspider13

A win is a win. The state of our defense means that every point is a blessing. But I just can't ignore the way we're playing this season. The lack of tactics, cohesion and athleticism is apparent throughout the team. I'll give credit to the manager for getting the subs right, but our passing and movement is bad. Not sub par or average, just bad.

We were much better second half though. But I'm not sure if it was because Sheffield were tired or we decided to wake up. If it's the former then our performance looks worse. If it's the latter, then we have to ask why we can't start games like that.

But again, a win is a win, We probably won't win the next league game, so I choose to savor this one.

RedIan

Up to 8th, dont get a nose bleed… 1pt behind 5th place Newcastle who are playing well and we are not at all … and we have so many key injuries in defence.

cyberman

And yet we created pretty much nothing in that second half. Besides the dalot goal there wasn't really much to worry about. We played a fecking team with 1 point who has been absolute trash all season and for anyone watching that didn't know it was Manchester united they prob thought it was two relegation candidates battling it out for points
This is how they’ve played against Spurs and City who have been better than us this season though and lost both 2-1.
I genuinely don’t know what game you’ve watched. How it took to the 75th odd minute to score the winner was insane, matter of inches robbed us of 2/3 more goals but it’s something to build on.
Shockingly we’re now 6 points off top. Nobody bar Spurs really are playing consistently well this season for some reason

cj_sparky

Wins a win, little bit better in the second half. Should've probably scored 2 or 3 more, but against a sorry Sheffield United was still poor.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's nice to see we are capable of holding a lead for longer than 5 minutes. Honestly, was fully expecting a Sheffield United equaliser within 5 minutes of Dalot putting us 2-1 up.

Not the best performance, not a springboard for a big week. Nonetheless, better than dropping more points.

Oranges038

Expecting this team to play with a style becoming of a Utd team of yesteryear is now just a pipe dream. I have no joy watching these bunch of players trudge thru 90 min game after game with dogshit performances.

I had a modicum of hope that new owners may change something but now its just more of the same.
New owners won't make these average players play with more effort, intensity and brains. They look all look slow and make too many bad decisions on and off the ball.

The last 5 mins alone, 2 stupid offsides and at least one stupid pass played to nowhere under no pressure. You're winning 2-1, just try and play smart and keep the fecking ball.

Rockets Redglare

I didn't watch the second half so I'll have to take your word for it. I thought Sheffield United were comfortably better than us in the first half.
Aye we were miles better second half. I agree with you about the first half, we were woeful.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We won but this and the Burnley aways are just about the easiest away games in the league.

We need to up the levels if we are not to be 7-0'd again this season.

Maureen-yo

Agreed. To be honest, he's better coming from the bench. Just can't do it for 90 minutes I don't think. Anyway, did really well coming on today and in the last game.
He’s the only midfielder we have that consistently plays through the lines, we really miss and need that. City have silva, Kovaciv. Arsenal have Odegaard/Jorginho.
gkad for the win, wins breed confidence but desperately need to see a “style” or system soon. It’s all so disjointed, no player can really thrive in that environment.

Todd

Anything less than 3 points would have been an embarrassment, but whatever. On to the next one.

Church o Choccy

Surprised by how many people think we played terribly. It wasn't a vintage performance but at a weird kick off time with no recognised left back on the pitch and all of our back 4 and first choice defensive midfielder missing we... deservedly won a game of football?

I think because we started so slowly people's characterisation of the entire game gets skewed. United looked pretty disjointed and awkward for about the first 30 minutes - we were on the back foot and it felt a bit shit. But from the time they equalised we started to dominate possession and basically ground out half a dozen decent chances in the last two thirds of the match and one of them went in to put us ahead.

It wasn't spectacular football but it wasn't woeful either. We started slow, got better and given the circumstances I'm pretty happy with the win.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 219 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Sheffield Utd 0:2 Man Utd
  • 22% Sheffield Utd 1:2 Man Utd