EL W Europa League Group E

Manchester United 3:0 Sheriff Tiraspol

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 October 2022

Real Name

The first tiebreaker is points won in games between the tied teams. The second tiebreaker is the most goals in the matches between the tied teams. The third tiebreaker is the most away goals in the matches between the tied teams.

So we don’t actually have to win by 2 clear goals, a 2-1 win will do. The important thing is scoring at least twice
Are you sure? Even ETH mentioned how we need to win by 2.

Tony247

How come Sheriff had 25% possession! I thought they barely had the ball.

jackal&hyde

We are looking very, very good in most aspects of play. Garnacho looked super comfortable in dribbling past his opponent; he has a future in top level football for sure.

Some of our squad players looked decent. That boy Ronaldo could get some more minutes too.

brian017

2-1 would put us level on the tie break, but then the other criteria come in which we are behind on, so yes we need to win by two clear goals.
You're right. I got the information from this article https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5070114/champions-league-rules-head-to-head-goal-difference/

Which mentions:
4. Away goals scored in head-to-head matches among tied teams;
But it seems from other sources that UEFA have binned that criteria and that article was poorly researched. It's the last time I'll believe anything I read on the internet

Uniquim

You're right. I got the information from this article https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5070114/champions-league-rules-head-to-head-goal-difference/

Which mentions:

But it seems from other sources that UEFA have binned that criteria and that article was poorly researched. It's the last time I'll believe anything I read on the internet
Think you just need to avoid the Sun tbh.

Yeah it was abolished alongside the other away goals rule: https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/med...way-goals-rule-in-all-uefa-club-competitions/

1. Points head-2-head >> We need to win, since La Real won the first game.
2. Goal difference head-2-head >> 1-0 loss in the first game, need at least 1-0 to tie this one, 2-goal win to go ahead.
3. Goals scored in head-2-head >> 1-goal win would tie this one. Winning by 2 goals would see us go ahead.
4. This one is only for more than 2 teams tied.
5. Goal difference in all games >> 10-1 (+8) (La Real), 9-3 (+6) (Utd). So a 1-0 win means we lose +7 v +8, 2-goal win means we win +8 v +7
6-11 won't be applicable.

wangyu

We need to top the group because I want us to go far in Europe. I hope along the way Barca meets Arsenal because I am not too confident we could beat them over two games yet.
Facing any Spanish side or the likes of Ajax doesn't strike me with huge confidence either.

Our record versus Spanish teams is just embarrassingly bad, even if we take away the real and Barca games I think we still got knocked out more often than that we progressed.

But since we seem to be playing a different game under Ten Hag (more proactive) things might just be different this time around.

PS it is written in the stars we will face Ajax this season

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Absolutely acceptable performance, professional job done... but not much else. We still give the ball away far too easily, the likes of Bruno still trying for worldies and at times the build-up is still a bit slow - we often let them get back into shape, no that they came out of defence very much.

Garnacho impressed me, as I though he might. He definitely deserves more game time and I'd even think of starting him on Sunday (now I'd like to see McNeil get some game time so we can see if we have a goal scorer at the club.

Eriksen was calm and composed, I thought Ronaldo was pretty good for the team without setting the world alight. Lindelof faultless yet again.

But that X factor, which can take us to the next level, is still missing...

Maticmaker

It was a comfortable win last night, but let's not get carried away, Antony doing his 'showboating' demonstrated how 'easy it really was. We should have had a hat full of goals (7-0 at half time by my reckoning) and be going into next week's game simply needing a win.

Still, a clean sheet, some good performances especially Eriksen and Garnacho, and a reward of a goal for Dalot for his continuing improvement.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Is ETH thinking Rashford might be an AM? He played there for a while and Bruno was on the right wing. He did pretty good, I'm not sure he is a great passer of the ball to be excellent there. However, he is probably better there than CF because he just is not a natural goal scorer.

- Dalot was excellent again, he is turning into a good footballer.
- I hope Ronaldo accepts his role in the team.
- Garnacho looked good. I could see him and Antony being our main wingers for years to come pretty soon.
- If only Antony made a good pass after his 720 move. Oh well.

We are going to score a lot of goals in a match soon, maybe it will be against Sociedad.

croadyman

It's a joy watching us control teams like that. Under Ole we had good results too but we never looked in full control.
Yeah there is no doubt our counter attack wins against scousers & Arsenal were very different to the controlled one over Spurs

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 184 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheriff Tiraspol win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 44% Man Utd 3:0 Sheriff Tiraspol
  • 22% Man Utd 2:0 Sheriff Tiraspol