EL W Europa League Group E

Manchester United 3:0 Sheriff Tiraspol

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 October 2022

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Huh? I said we dominated the game and we were much further behind in our evolution under Ten Hag then.
Sure. I fully expect we will dominate them next week too, having the majority of possession and territorial advantage, but whether we will win by two goals is far less certain.

Reddevildans

Christ, you'd think we are playing Pep's Barca next the way people are talking about Real Sociedad.

Get a grip
The sociedad game was wierd. In a wierd atmosphere. Apart from keeping possession well like all Spanish sides do they were not that impressive. And they won by a very dubious penalty. However, we must be more clinical in attack aswell as direct, especially our wingers who are cutting back far too much. I fancy our chances to get a result.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sure. I fully expect we will dominate them next week too, having the majority of possession and territorial advantage, but whether we will win by two goals is far less certain.
You did just say we are similar level teams though? I’m confused.!

Valencia Shin Crosses

The sociedad game was wierd. In a wierd atmosphere. Apart from keeping possession well like all Spanish sides do they were not that impressive. And they won by a very dubious penalty. However, we must be more clinical in attack aswell as direct, especially our wingers who are cutting back far too much. I fancy our chances to get a result.
Yeah I'm not saying it's not tricky or we'll smash them, but I'm seeing people say there's no chance we beat them by 2 next week when they are just a decent Spanish side in a really down year for La Liga.

Robertd0803

Get in there. Oh and Viva Ronaldo.

Should have won by more.

Delighted to see Garnacho start and do well.

RedfromIreland

Good result and some nice play.
Still missing some great chances, though I’d be more disappointed if we weren’t creating.
The goals will flow eventually.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You did just say we are similar level teams though? I’m confused.!
You can be similar level teams in terms of quality and therefore your expected results, but with entirely different styles, or a different ability to keep the ball. Sociedad are effective at defending in the manner they do.

We know Barcelona will likely have more possession against Real Madrid, playing the game in Madrid’s half, but it doesn’t mean they are a better team more likely to win in that match, or the average opposition. There’s multiple ways to approach winning football matches.

A-man

Not one site has them recorded as having a shot from what I can see
I checked the official stats from the game and the person who took notes was probably asleep as there were plenty of things missing. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few shots were missing as well.

TheReligion

Abusive
You can be similar level teams in terms of quality and therefore your expected results, but with entirely different styles, or a different ability to keep the ball. Sociedad are effective at defending in the manner they do.

We know Barcelona will likely have more possession against Real Madrid, playing the game in Madrid’s half, but it doesn’t mean they are a better team more likely to win in that match, or the average opposition. There’s multiple ways to approach winning football matches.
You’re good at waffling I’ll give you that :lol:

AndyMUFC

Job done and another dominant performance. Kept the Sociedad game interesting and won't be easy to win by two goals but we'll give it a go.

Fitchett

That was a ridiculous unjustified booking for Harry Maguire. No surprise really, seeing as the referee was Greek. Will he get a fair trial there next year?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
So we can't beat Real Sociedad badly enough to make up GD and beating them at all is too much effort to be honest so, we are finishing on 2nd this group no matter what and hear me out:

Play as many of our young players as possible!!! Do it!

NewYorkRed

We need to win by 2, not 3
I mean does it matter that much who wins the group? There are some serious sides dropping into the EL, we’re gonna have to face them at some point so I’m not really concerned if we finish second tbh.

That said, we should of course try to top the group.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean does it matter that much who wins the group? There are some serious sides dropping into the EL, we’re gonna have to face them at some point so I’m not really concerned if we finish second tbh.

I’m not that fussed who we play but some folk here seem to be obsessing over it and panicking about Sociedad.

As you say if we want to win the thing we’ll have to play the best teams so who cares.

RuudTom83

Coming second in the group means an extra round of games.

The extra game is more of a concern rather than the potential opposition.

Abraxas

Good performance. Sheriff are shite. But still, keeping any team at this level to no shots and winning comfortably is good reward for the manager.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We had a dominating game and fair result, 75% possession and 24 shots vs 0.

Ronaldo and Rashford have also finally got their goals, that would do good for their confidence.

Garnacho has a nice start and looks lively, hopefully we would see more of that.

Now we just need 2 goals win at Spain to top the group, its achievable if we keep that up.

scottser

We could get Barca and FdJ. Now that would be properly funny seeing big mctom elbow the face off him for 90 mins.

bringbackbebe

A rare game where our best chances and goals came from headers and aerial threat. Pity we couldn't score more.

croadyman

Pleased with the result, would have been nice to have seen Iqbal instead of Mctominay.

croadyman

There will be times we need to break down these kind of teams quicker,however I believe this can happen given more games like this.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
An excellent performance. Alright, it's managerless Sheriff, but still - it'll be a while before you see a more one-sided game. Stand out performers for me - Garnacho (great timing by ETH to give him a start - was always a threat), Eriksen and Casemiro. Massive game against Sociedad next week - on current form we win that game.

Shimo

Same with google, didn’t the Cedric guy have one and de gea saved it early in the first half?
2nd half - it was a break after some real sloppy play - it was a tame shot around Lindelof straight at DDG, Lindelof did lose his head at allowing of the break. Weirdly a little after that they showed a 21-0 shot graphic but, they did have a shot.

bosskeano

interesting comments by ETH about Garnacho and what has led to him not playing and what led to him playing today

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 184 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheriff Tiraspol win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 44% Man Utd 3:0 Sheriff Tiraspol
  • 22% Man Utd 2:0 Sheriff Tiraspol