EL W Europa League Group E

Manchester United 3:0 Sheriff Tiraspol

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 October 2022

TheReligion

Abusive
I guess the Sociedad away match will be a good test for the manager and players to play with a bit of pressure in a mock second leg scenario. Gonna be tough to win there by two, when they are a similar level side to us currently, and one that has had better results than us this season.
What is similar about them to us? And why have their results been better?

RedIan

A good night really, got the result against a defensive wall. Plus got players back from injury and got them minutes.
Harry looked sharp and DVB impressed in his 15 minutes.
Garnacho did very well and is a very good prospect.

Dempsey19

The poster you quoted with your serious nonsense response was taking the piss
My nonsense? You actually think we can beat Real Sociedad away by 2 goals or more? You're an embarrassment. Feel free to quote me next week when we probably lose or draw 0-0.

prateik

If we had scored 1 more goal somewhere, we wouldve just needed a win in Spain..
we have been wasteful.. lets hope we can get the result next week

TheReligion

Abusive
My nonsense? You actually think we can beat Real Sociedad away by 2 goals or more? You're an embarrassment. Feel free to quote me next week when we probably lose or draw 0-0.
I’m an embarrassment for supporting the club? What are on even talking about you odd ball.

Boondog

He's an embarrassment because he thinks our team is going to win by 2 goals or more? You need to check your ego and overinflated sense of self worth.

siw2007

Job done in what was a very easy game for us. They never really threatened us and we dominated the game and should have scored more. Garnacho was excellent, Eriksen was heavily involved, Rashford and Shaw were great off the bench. Also glad to see Donny and Harry back from injury, hopefully they can play a good part in the run in to the World Cup.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What is similar about them to us? And why have their results been better?
They have won their other four Europa games like us, but also won at Old Trafford. They are 7-1-3 in the league, whilst we are 6-2-3. Their underlying performances have been better too in terms of expected data so far in the league. Feel free to scoff, but they are a very consistent side making the absolute most of their squad.

Winning there by two goals is probably one of our toughest tests of the season, maybe second toughest after trying to get any sort of win versus City. Maybe beating Liverpool at home is comparable.

Elcabron

If we had scored just one more... now we need to beat Real Sociedad by two.
Cuts the goal difference to -3 behind Real Sociedad which gives us a legit chance to overtake them provided we don't start Ronaldo.
Should be scoring more against such a terrible side. We aren't winning in Spain by 2.
Correct me if I’m wrong but we only need to be that shit Spanish team by 2 regardless of our score tonight because of head to head?
As far as I know we just need to beat them 1-2 and we are through.
I think it comes down to most goals scored in head to head....not 100% sure though.

Edit - no that wouldn't work.

RedOrange

Correct me if I’m wrong but we only need to be that shit Spanish team by 2 regardless of our score tonight because of head to head?
You are correct. Goal difference in head to head matches is the 2nd tiebreaker (with no difference between home and away goals), goal difference in all matches is the 3rd tiebreaker. A 7-0 win would have meant us going ahead of Real Sociedad with a win by 1 goal.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Bookies have Sociedad 4/9 and United 13/8 to top group, so that’s implied probability of around 34-35% after accounting for their margin.

Edit: calculated probability wrong

Last edited:

Siorac

You are correct. Goal difference in head to head matches is the 2nd tiebreaker (with no difference between home and away goals), goal difference in all matches is the 3rd tiebreaker. A 7-0 win would have meant us going ahead of Real Sociedad with a win by 1 goal.
4-0 would have been enough: with that, a one-goal win in Spain would have put us top on more goals scored.

RedDevilRoshi

A good night really, got the result against a defensive wall. Plus got players back from injury and got them minutes.
Harry looked sharp and DVB impressed in his 15 minutes.
Garnacho did very well and is a very good prospect.
I agree. Very comfortable evening in the end. I don’t know how this lot beat Real Madrid last season at the Bernabeu as they looked like a group of strangers that had never played a game of football in their lives.

Our 2nd goal was brilliant, the passing, movement and the final delivery into the box.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I agree. Very comfortable evening in the end. I don’t know how this lot beat Real Madrid last season at the Bernabeu as they looked like a group of strangers that had never played a game of football in their lives.
It’s essentially an entire different team and manager. Their former manager is now in the Ukrainian army and they lost a lot of players who didn’t want to live in a potential conflict zone. It was also much harder to attract new players who had any sort of option to play elsewhere.

TheReligion

Abusive
They have won their other four Europa games like us, but also won at Old Trafford. They are 7-1-3 in the league, whilst we are 6-2-3. Their underlying performances have been better too in terms of expected data so far in the league. Feel free to scoff, but they are a very consistent side making the absolute most of their squad.

Winning there by two goals is probably one of our toughest tests of the season, maybe second toughest after trying to get any sort of win versus City. Maybe beating Liverpool at home is comparable.
United dominated them didn’t they and they won against the run of play by that ridiculous penalty decision for handball against Martinez? And all whilst we were much further behind in our evolution?

Any euro away is tough but you’re going massively over the top. Data obsessed!

RedDevilRoshi

It’s essentially an entire different team and manager. Their former manager is now in the Ukrainian army and they lost a lot of players who didn’t want to live in a potential conflict zone. It was also much harder to attract new players who had any sort of option to play elsewhere.
Ahh that makes sense now

Gordon S

Weird game. Felt like Sheriff were there on a guided tour of the stadium more than to compete. Rushed back to defend with 10 man behind the ball even when 2 goals down.
We play well, but we need more creativity around the box. Those high balls in towards one player is just to easy to defend against.

Rashford looks good at the moment, we need him in good form this season.

Will Singh

We bossed it from start to finish, even with Maguire and Lindelof I still felt confident which was a first for me. On to the next one!

I'd be very surprised if we even win that game, let alone by 2. Think we just need to accept we are going to playing a big strong team that dropped out of CL. I hope to christ it's not Atletico Madrid. Cannot deal with those clowns.
We are definitely drawing Atletico.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
United dominated them didn’t they and they won against the run of play by that ridiculous penalty decision for handball against Martinez? And all whilst we were much further behind in our evolution?

Any euro away is tough but you’re going massively over the top. Data obsessed!
I don’t doubt we can dominate possession. That’s insufficient though.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 184 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheriff Tiraspol win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 44% Man Utd 3:0 Sheriff Tiraspol
  • 22% Man Utd 2:0 Sheriff Tiraspol