PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 20 September 2015

Devil may care

Great 3 points, made it hard though with some sloppy defending at the end. We missed Shaw in that back 4 without a doubt, and I think we need to put the Schneiderlin/Carrick combination to bed, it's not a good combo.

Clinical finishing from Martial and Memphis had some promising moments while Smalling and Schweisnteiger added some composure and De Gea is just world class, so glad we still have him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm really surprised by the high ratings most players are getting. There are a few that should be a point down, at least. Fantastic result but Martial and De Gea carried us the entire game.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
De Gea and Martial - brilliant.

Huge 3 points. We have a tough string of fixtures but we've started fantastically with 6 points from 6 at the moment.
Lovely passing move for Mata's goal - it was a shame Memphis couldn't finish it after the skill.
Schweinsteiger came on again to dominate - he's incredible off the bench.

Performance on the whole could do some improving in areas, but I can't really complain when we bag 3 points away from home. Vital result.

Winrar

positives:
martial
de gea with another super performance at the end to keep the 3 points
character to come from behind
and of course, the win and catching up 3 points to city

negatives:
poor early on and towards the end
rooney was poor yet again, though could be down to injury right now

overall I am satisfied with how things went in this match, though we had to endure a last minute heart attack again. rooney is concerning though, as he's only had 1 good game this season so far (brugge away)

caid

I might have to create some kind of martial religion / philosophy / church ...

vodrake

I was surprised to see we have such a good away record against Southampton, they always seem to give us one of the most heart-in-mouth matches of the season

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
We made it more nervewracking at the end than we needed to though.
That made me mad at the referee, Van Dijk prevents the 1-4 with a cynical foul, and gets away with yellow. What does this ref want? Players who are through on goal getting fouled all the time because players rather have a yellow card than a goal scored against him?

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Martial and De Gea the obvious stand out performers. Really excited to see how well Martial progresses, but for now he's definitely earned his spot in the starting XI. Apart from Valencia and Schweinsteiger, the rest were between average and poor. In particular we seem to be developing a worrying trait of defending poorly from winning positions which has already cost us twice this season, and it was more down to Southampton allowing us space than us creating chances that brought us back into the game. Nevertheless, 3 points at St. Mary's is a fantastic result to cap off a great weekend for United.

siw2007

Fantastic win from United in what was a great game of football. We were very fortunate to beat Southampton today and they will feel aggrieved with the result but there is no doubting the superhuman abilities of De Gea and our huge prodigy and new fan favourite Martial.

It was a really poor start from us with Pelle and Mane giving Blind and co a right beating and they should have been 2 0 up within 25 min. We started to pen them back a little when the linesman made a mistake and Mata who was offside was able to feed Martial for the equaliser. Second half Southampton and a good go at us but we held firm and Yoshida (blind by the sun) played in Martial to help us take the lead. From here United were on top and were passing the opposition off the park before Mata smashed in a rebound off the post from Memphis's shot. We looked comfortable from here but we turned off for one second as Pelle scored to make it a nervy last 10 minutes in which De Gea made a series of great saves to push us over the line.

Was disappointed with Rooney and Schneiderlin today who at times were total passengers while Blind struggled with Mane and Pelle but hopefully he won't be up against players of that type all the time. Martial was hugely impressive as he gave Fonte and his partner the run around and also was ice cold in front of goal, almost as if he feels he is entitled to score goals, brilliant!

krazyrobus

Shit performance. 3 shots on target...1 offside goal, 1 freebie and 1 well crafted goal. Even our supposed strength, our defence was shit today.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Great game. So what if we had dodgy periods and didn't dominate throughout? This is the Premier League in 2015 - every team is capable of making the opposition look poor at times, that's just the competitive nature of the PL.
No, it's completely unacceptable. I watched Barcelona spank Getafe once (well, extended highlights, same thing) and we should be dominating every game with 90 minutes of amazing football like that. Anything less is a disgrace to the ghost of Duncan Edwards.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Shit performance. 3 shots on target...1 offside goal, 1 freebie and 1 well crafted goal. Even our supposed strength, our defence was shit today.
Dude, it was a messy performance. In games like these, the best teams will get a win. It won't be pretty, but we'll get the job done and move on.
A patchy performance BUT, its an away game which I thought we'd lose...and we won.
No complaints (except Rooney - this guy is not good enough to play for MUFC).

Sigma

Thankfully someone who sees it as it is.

MDFC Manager

No, it's completely unacceptable. I watched Barcelona spank Getafe once (well, extended highlights, same thing) and we should be dominating every game with 90 minutes of amazing football like that. Anything less is a disgrace to the ghost of Duncan Edwards.
I'm going to ask if you're actually serious.

These days it's really hard to tell.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We always have a ton of luck up there ever since they got promoted but you kind of need one of those moments to win these tight games. Their pressing put us in trouble and ours lead to that back pass so its not just something falling into our lap either.

AR87

Thought the entire team played much better after the break and especially after we subbed out Carrick for BFS. Rooney dropping deep actually worked well then as BFS often pushes up and fills in the space between the lines.

Rooney wasn't good, but he looked much better when he was able to get involved deeper without crowding our play. There's no attacking dynamism from midfield when we play Schneiderlin and Carrick together.

Reynoldo

Buzzing after that, great win. Martial is the ice man and turns out it was even more important then we thought to keep DDG now our defence is looking shaky again.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Good performance bar the first 20 mins. Delighted all in all considering they'll take points off the United's title/top four contenders.

marlowe78

It was by and large a good comeback. It looked like we would get slaughtered early on but we settled down, sured up the middle, and began to carry the game. Martial is already earning his pay and Mata, whom I was very critical of in the first half, was all over the pitch to keep play alive and scored a lovely goal. De Gea again excellent. Schweinsteiger was exceptional after he came on.

The negatives are pretty obvious. Rooney was once again godawful and IMO you can't blame the injury that much because he looked poor before this. This is another game where he did not a single thing of note and pretty much failed at everything. He even had a clear run for Memphis and fudged the pass forward, totally killed the attack. I would give him another 45 and drop him if this continues.

I am also concerned about Carrick. It's clear that he's in his last season with us but ATM he looks too slow and ponderous to really make a difference. He will need to play because BS and Schneiderlin can't play in every game but I'm really hoping that the wheels don't come off during the season and he's in a Gary Neville situation.

And isn't De Gea excellent?

...Oh, and I forgot, isn't De Gea excellent?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Just remembered - our left side looked weak in defence. Clearly missing Shaw big time. Mane made mince meat out of us a few times today.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
United move up into second after a thrilling 3:2 win at St. Mary's.

It didn't look good in the first 30 minutes as Pelle and Mane wrecked havoc for Southampton. Pelle netted the opening goal after 12 minutes and the home side could easily have scored a couple more.

United clawed their way back into it and equalised through Martial. They were well on top after that and the Frenchman struck again in the second-half to put United in front.

Southampton fought back and De Gea made a wonder save to deny Fonte and that proved crucial as Mata made it 3:1 to put United in control. But they nearly let it slip as Pelle scored again to set up a nervous final 10 minutes. De Gea had to make a few more saves to secure the three points.

Manchester City are only two points ahead now...
pretty good summary

markhrad

Great result. Good opportunistic goals by Martial and great goalkeeping. Only downside is that we were not really creative, Schneiderlin's through pass to Memphis which led to Mata's goal was probably the only exception.
Martial's goals remind me of RVP's against Southampton last season in that they were basically of his own making.
I am really tired of this apparent competition between Rooney and Mata to see who can do the most side and back passes. Mata does not even seem to want to get involved in build up play he strikes me as just wanting to get himself in scoring positions. Either play him as a No10 or not at all and please don't have Rooney and Mata on the field at the same time, they are hindering Memphis and Martial

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
3 extra points to winning the league. That'll do.

Franq

IMO first 30 minutes and last 10 were awful. Carrick and Rooney were really bad IMO. I thought they played way to many bad passes and showed a lack of movement and energy. Depay and Blind also did no play well. Depay only looks to be interested if he gets the ball. Naive defending almost cost us the match. Overall i feel we've been lucky. De Gea and Yoshida basically won us the match IMO... That being said, i thought there were appox 40 minutes during which we played really well. With Schweinsteiger we look much better - hope to see him more often in starting XI.

mu77

3 points away. a mile away from good football for too much of that match. rooney and memphis did little. rooney looks like he's spent like he did before the injury. left side at the back was battered by soton.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Strange game.

Before the equaliser maybe our worst away performance under LvG.

After the equaliser maybe our best away performance. Until they scored out of nowhere. That was sloppy.

Mixed bag but fantastic result at a tough ground. Sunderland at home up next in the league. Chance to turn the screw some more.

ThePlaymaker

Dude, it was a messy performance. In games like these, the best teams will get a win. It won't be pretty, but we'll get the job done and move on.
A patchy performance BUT, its an away game which I thought we'd lose...and we won.
No complaints (except Rooney - this guy is not good enough to play for MUFC).
Only because of massive luck with offside and individual error. Without those we'd have lost then we'd all be outraged, instead of calmly enjoying a win.

Kag

3 points at St. Mary's you take no questions asked.

One truly outstanding team goal and a brace from a young striker that looks very much the part.

There were negatives, certainly, but it's a tough league. Regardless, we're second in the league with early victories against Spurs, Liverpool and now Southampton.

It's not perfect, but it's by no means bad.

prath92

Only because of massive luck with offside and individual error. Without those we'd have lost then we'd all be outraged, instead of calmly enjoying a win.
We deserved the win. We played them off the park for an hour. They didn't know what to do.

Get In Scholesy

Delighted with the win and Martial scoring a brace. The move for the third goal was pleasant to see as well. We had a makeshift back line toward the end of the match, so I knew we needed more than 2 goals to win so thankfully we got that.

Overall, I choose not to complain too much about the game, but it is concerning how we drop back after we are winning, no matter what the score is.

Rezyuz

Absolutely disgusted with some of you here, looking at you in particular @krazyrobus and @Sigma

Its never good is it? A win when all our competition lost vs a very tough opponent, ye thats pathetic. Lets go online and bash LVG for taking home 3 points.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 65% of 1228 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1006 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw