PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Fri, 19 August 2016

AndyJ1985

You can see why Mourinho wanted to buy a new spine for our team. Bailly, Pogba, and Zlatan will transform us in to a strong, powerful, and confident team. Mkhitaryan will be immense once he starts regularly.

Having Shaw back has helped, and Valencia has been class. Fellaini deserves credit too. Just need Martial up get back to his form of last season, and Rooney to be phased out, then we'll look formidable.

I love how much more direct we are now.

Tiber

Very tidy performance against a decent side. Pogba is unreal, shaw is back to near his best, same with Valencia, Bailly and Zlatan both looking very strong.

I wonder how long its been since we didn't concede a corner?

Darkpulse

Getting the swagger back that we lost a few years ago.

Good performance again, not great but hardly any negatives really.

It's great having "power" individuals in Zlatan and Ibra - they are just in a league of their own.
Bailly and Blind were great again, so was Shaw and Valencia. The back 4 was fantastic today.

Fellaini did his job, no complaints. Recycled the ball well.
Rooney was dire until his assist - after that he just went invisible.
Martial grew into the game, just needs that bite back.
Doubly powerful

FujiVice

Everyone in our side looks about 7 foot tall on the pitch. We just clatter people if they get in the way. This has potential to be a frightening United side.

SamVimes

Southampton had more possession!!! Good game of football. Not perfect of course, no game ever is. We played good attacking football.

Robbie Boy

Very enjoyable. I actually would have watched another half of that instead of wishing the minutes away like I have most of our games over the past 3 seasons.

Irrational.

No longer am I filled with anxiety in the lead up to matches.

No longer do we have to wait until the 85th minute for our first shot on target.

No longer do we shit ourselves when the opposition come into our half.

No longer do we shit ourselves when we're defending a lead.

No longer do we play five at the back.

No longer are we forced to throw youngsters in at the deep end.

No longer do we play crab-ball.

No longer do we have a manager sat on his arse with a diary. And finally...

No longer will teams come to Old Trafford thinking they can get at us. The fear factor is returning.

This is a RAWKish post, but I don't care. Best I've felt about a team since we bought RvP. :drool:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Phenomenal. The players really grew as the game went on - something we haven't seen in recent years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Throughly enjoyed watching United tonight. Pogba, Shaw, Bailly, Fellaini and Ibra superb.

Mkhitaryan for Rooney and Rashford for Mata please.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I love that you're never really in doubt that we'll win these sort of matches.

What a difference the right mentality makes.

Von Mistelroum

We have that superstar feel again. I think we'd be considerably more fluid without Rooney, but he did ok mostly. Mata made some killer passes early on, but his defending was awful. Fellaini has surprised me with how good he's played lately and I voted for him as MotM for the first time ever! Bailly is raw but has massive potential, but we seem nervy in defence for some reason. Martial did some good things too, was unlucky at the end of a couple. Loving watching us now!

MaNNe-

Great performance! Most importantly it's fun to watch us play again. After the lvg tenure, it feels so much more fun to watch these games. A goal in the first half! Last year that was unheard of. Also I think Pogba will achieve great things for us, he just oozes quality.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Looked a bit shaky in defense, on the left side in the 1st and on the right in the 2nd.
After the 2nd goal our attack became very fluent when the space opened up. Great to see Martial finding his legs again and a really promising sub by Mhiky, can't wait to see more of him. Pogba is a beast.

I got excited just by watching the players hug it out after the game, massive grin on my face. Haven't felt that since 2008.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Finally i can watch United play without playing candy crush for entertainment.
So many cool technical details, good movement and passing in the last third, nice goals too.
I've been against Valencia and Fellaini, but both have improved alot this season.
I don't even mind seeing Fellaini start now, never thought i'd say this.

Pogba looked very rusty, some dodgy touched, will only get better when he gets match fit.
Love watching Zlatan giving instructions to everyone.

So optimistic right now!
We'll atleast be in the fight for the title, i'm sure!

Red Stone

Zlatan is a God. That is all.

When Pogba gets into his stride he will destroy this league. Started off a bit sloppy, but grew into it and was on a completely different level to everyone else about halfway through the second half when he really found himself.

Valencia was an absolute tank today. Looked to run it forward every time, his dribbling was on point, he cleaned up at the back and never looked like he'd get any trouble from anyone. Zlatan's two goals will take the MOTM awards from most, but I gave my vote to Tony V to spread the love a bit.

Fellaini and Mata have been brilliant so far. Who would've thought the two Moyes signings, which includes the player Mourinho quickly got rid of at Chelsea, would be serious contenders for a starting spot.

Mkhi needs to start. He will tie our attack together. Bailly is going to be tremendous here. Mourinho's buys all look like masterstrokes.

Another very important thing that needs to be mentioned is the buzz before the game. I've been looking forward to this since the end of the Bournemouth game, and I was jumping in my seat in the moments before the kick-off. I haven't felt the mood being like this around the club since SAF left. It really feels like we're back.

VanGaalEra

That was so so good!

Pogba is incredible, Zlatan, Fellaini, Shaw, Blind and even Mkhi looked very good when he came on! Everyone and everything was great.

DevilRed

Amazing performance. Especially the second half when we had a dominant spell with Martial, Pogba and Zlatan all combining at pace. Was amazing and soton were holding on for dear life.

Truely believe the fear factor is back now. Pogba is absolutely ridiculously skilled and athletic. He just adds a dimension to our midfield that we've never seen before. Heck, even Rooney looked half decent out there. Seems like his confidence is coming back and he tried to even take on a few players.

What more to say about Zlatan? Made for this league. Cant believe he was free. Mental.

Bailly just beasting people. Needs to improve positionaly but he really does look like a young Vidic. Im just curious as to how Smalling will make is way back into the team when Blind has been playing so well.

Mikhitaryan was literally taking the piss out there with his technique. Just nutmegging people left right and centre. Cant wait till we have Martial, Pogba and Mikhi all running on the break..its going to be amazing.

The fear factor is definately coming back to OT. This was a performance that could lead to Old Trafford becoming a fortress again. Typcial of Mourinho's title winning teams to barely ever lose at home.

RedCurry

There were no periods of squeaky bums. That's how to dominate a game.

montpelier

Dunno. Much better to watch tha a lot of the last 2 years, but still a bit scratchy - at least it looks ike there is more improvement there to be found.

Southampton not a good team, still finding some control / threat in that game for decent periods. Let's not get carried away here.

Valencia is transformed.

Hammerfell

I think the best thing about that match (besides the presence of, you know, entertainment) was the fact that all of them looked like absolute professionals. No panicking, just ruthlessness and confidence.

Clas Sified

Fellaini was excellent. He'll be overlooked by fans and pundits alike this season in favour of our star players, but it looks like he'll have a fantastic season.

Martial however, needs a goal for confidence. What's encouraging though, is that he's getting into the goal scoring opportunities, just needs to finish them kff now.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Fecking English commentators and tabloid journalists.

"Zlatan can cut it in the French league, but the PL is a different story" , "Stoke a wet cold monday night is quite different from Paris", "He is old and past it" , "can he cut it physically against the PL centrebacks?"

The lewls.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Pogba a beast all game.
Zlatan continuing making fun of good defenders.
Martial showing that he just needs a bit more time to hit form (he dribbles well and doesn't back down despite some bad luck or lack of form in the end of the pitch).
Bailly looking good (but not as safe today as the other games) still.
Fellaini playing really well along with most other players.

Don't want to be one of the knee-jerkers, but for a more balanced view and not just all hype, I have to mention that despite not being horrible, I still feel like Rooney leaves something to desire, but he might actually improve upon that. And if he doesn't, then Mkhitaryan is ready to step in.

Overall so many leaders on the pitch now that are vocal, in Zlatan, Pogba, Bailly, Blind & more that we don't have to worry about the team crumbling.

The amount of talent/quality in our squad now is unreal.
I truly believe we will fight for the title this year going by how we've done this early with such a shit pre-season.

Dinghy

Get Mkhi and Lingard in for Rooney and Mata and we are going to look mucher better in terms of pace and movement. Good game overall. Pogba is worth the money no doubt. Fellaini MOM.

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
Mkhitaryan looked good when he came on, some good interplay with Herrera. Looking forward to seeing him more.

Afroman was good again, thought he was one of our best players who allowed others to play their game. Can't believe how well he's been playing.

Pogba, great start to his career, shame he didn't score at the end.

Good game and result, definitely far better vibes/feelings after final whistle compared to last couple of seasons.

BIGbadBOO4

Who is this player wearing the number 27 shirt? When did we buy him and can we keep him?
Blind had a good game as well.
For me Miki at Rw and Pogba in Rooney's 10 position and Herrera in a midfield 3.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There is a swagger about this team I haven't seen for years. An air of confidence and self belief that a genuine title winning team must possess.

It's so on.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
FULL TIME STATS
Possession: United 45% Southampton 55%
Shots at goal: United 11 Southampton 11
Shots on target: United 5 Southampton 1
Corners: United 4 Southampton 0

Just need to stop the other team getting so many chances, someone more clinical may punish us. Yet following it on here, just got the impression that we were not really under threat. So are those stats lying?

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 988 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton
  • 21% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton