PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 September 2017

Will Absolute

Quite a horror show! First match since Jose took over I've turned off before the end. If this cowardly, confused mess is what half a billion buys you.....?

On the plus side, if we can get 3 points from a game like this, anything is possible.

The Bloody-Nine

Quite a horror show! First match since Jose took over I've turned off before the end. If this cowardly, confused mess is what half a billion buys you.....?

On the plus side, if we can get 3 points from a game like this, anything is possible.
I really hope we up our game. We NEED supporters like you.

SirAF

Ageist
Not a good match, but the three points are always the only thing that matters. Forget about this match and move on to Moscow..

Akshay

Staff
I would have started with the three in midfield. Mata and Mhki were not both necessary today and neither played well. We got the win. In the past we have dropped points despite playing well. Sometimes you have to grind out results.
Agreed. Think we need to compensate in midfield for Pogba being absent too.

Win is absolutely what matters. I keep thinking of Rio's dressing room video; 'three points, three points'.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

The passion :devil::devil::devil:

...and people gotta stop with their whining Jesus Christ. We got the 3 points that's all that matters. Not going to win 4-0 convincingly every week. Sometimes you have to grind out a gruelling W every here and there and that's exactly what happened today. Games like this go a long ways for a teams morale, what a boost it must've been hearing the final whistle seeing the reactions of players such as Lukaku. You can tell they clawed.

And remember...offense wins games, defense wins championships. On to the next one.

ants7

Don't care that much about the performance. Away to Southampton was never going to be another 4:0 win. While some of the stuff on the second half was worrying, I'll take that kind of win and three points away from home everyday. Specially considering that Southampton are not that poor side.

As long as we don't perform like this at home against weaker sides...

Happy days.

Ace of Spades

We need to press a bit higher up the field, no idea why we give teams time to play out from the back.

The ref was also shit, could have got two penalties, and gave very little decisions to us.

UpWithRivers

Terrible to watch but ingenious tactics by Mourinho. Southampton were never looked like scoring. We shut up shop. Got 3 points. Job done.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It wasn't in anyway abysmal.

If you were around in the Moyes year, I wonder how you tried to explain those days!
The second half was and I stand by it.

Al-T

Three points where last year we'd have got one or none. Lukaku is proving to be a goal machine. Always delighted to beat Southampton however it's done.

fretless

I think if we learned anything from this game it's that Smalling and Jones should not be on the pitch at the same time. In the short time they shared the pitch they almost knocked each other out. It's like they are fated to injure each other.

SirAF

Ageist

...and people gotta stop with their whining Jesus Christ. We got the 3 points that's all that matters. Not going to win 4-0 convincingly every week. Sometimes you have to grind out a gruelling W every here and there and that's exactly what happened today. Games like this go a long ways for a teams morale, what a boost it must've been hearing the final whistle seeing the reactions of players such as Lukaku. You can tell they clawed.

And remember...offense wins games, defense wins championships. On to the next one.
This.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Playing stats:

Thanks for this. I love stats and numbers.

Daley Blind is the interesting one. Every time this guy plays a game, we win.
The only time we failed to win was against Stoke and Blind (and Fellaini) were both absent.
It will be interesting to see how the season develops, but Blind could be an important player for us this season.

Another interesting one: since Pogba went off injured, we won all 4 games!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Most club will defend a 1-0 lead around 75minutes, especially against tough opponent away from home.

3pts is in the bag, this is real football not fm. Psychologically player will drop deep and focusing on keeping the lead, keep it tight at the back and try to counter.

Nothing wrong with that. Some of you lot just love to complain for the sake of complaining. What if we keep on attacking and soton squueze in an equalizer??

SuperiorXI

Thought there would be no chance of 3 points after the Smalling sub but proven wrong. We are certainly mentally strong. The performance wasn't good at all but over a season you will have more than one game like this, taking 3 points when playing like this is important, doesn't matter how many defenders you have on. Mourinho just knows how to win and you can see the methods he uses clearly, it's all purely about getting the maximum points.

MJJ

I asked you to name a better player than Morata for his price and you named no one. Despite being asked half a dozen time by more than poster you refused to because you werent 'being paid to scout'.

Now you are smugly offering up a player who cost more than Morata as evidence?

But hey, 'no one else is going to pay 73mil for a benchwarmer', right?

The entire conversation was you telling everyone Morata was an unproven, backup striker and a waste of money for the quoted fee. On the back of him scoring a hattrick for Chelsea you thought it would be a good idea to bring that discussion back up and be smug about it? :lol:
So your whole argument that he costs more is based upon two millions? Morata fee from what I just Googled was close to 80m pounds so you would be wrong there as well.

And no, I am mocking your claim that we could not sign any other striker than morata even going so far as to call them unicorns. But hey, you never said that!

But we are off topic now so I will let you live in your delusion.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So your whole argument that he costs more is based upon two millions? Morata fee from what I just Googled was close to 80m pounds so you would be wrong there as well.

And no, I am mocking your claim that we could not sign any other striker than morata even going so far as to call them unicorns. But hey, you never said that!

But we are off topic now so I will let you live in your delusion.
'Not worth more than 50mil', 'no one will sign a benchwarmer', 'he's a back up striker'. Seems you were bang on about Morata. :lol: unbelievable you brought this thread back up on the day he bangs in a hattrick.

Yeah I'd give up if I was you as well. Enough embarrassment for one day.

shield

It is looking bad because it is only 1-0. If Herrera had taken his chance it would have been 2-0 and a professional performance. We still have the problem of not being clinical enough. We seem to mess up clutch shots. Lukaku had missed one against Stoke and Herrera missed one today.

Manchie

3 fecking points and that is the most important in times of poor performance

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It wasn't "abysmal" though was the point. It was ludicrous hyperbole when we'll play worse this season. Maybe in a game we actually lose!
What was it then? Your definition of abysmal might be slightly different than mine, because I thought that second half was very bad. Abysmal in fact. What did you make of it? Splitting hairs here over a very poor second half performance. Jesus Christ. :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
what was Jose sent off for?
The official line is, leaving the technical area. Pawson is a useless cnut but ended up doing us a favour. Southampton were about to take a corner but it broke the rhythm so ended 0-1.

I'll bet if Klopp or Conte did their best American Werewolf In London impression on the touchline, he wouldn't have sent them to the stands. It's utter bollocks

Dante

Average bang

That gif deserves to become iconic.

Klopp_De_Klown

Big big 3 points. Huge win

Sometimes you have to win ugly and snatch the 3 points n run and today was one of those days. We just never came out second half.

Unlike the stoke game today we held strong and the lads deserve a lot of credit for that. And the manager too.
Thought the ref was a pile of shite though and we got the lesser of the decisions and the sending to the stands was a total load of crap. "foot on the pitch" ave a word ref?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.

Good post. Lots of squarkish teenage angst type posts in this thread yet again.

We were the better side first half and were poor in the second but still didn't concede. In the past this would've been seen as a ground out 3 points from a tough away fixture.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We're a rubbish side to watch. We really, really are. Incredible that we're 2nd.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What was it then? Your definition of abysmal might be slightly different than mine, because I thought that second half was very bad. Abysmal in fact. What did you make of it? Splitting hairs here over a very poor second half performance. Jesus Christ. :lol:
Moyes - abysmal
Today - "underpar" :p

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We're a rubbish side to watch. We really, really are. Incredible that we're 2nd.
Didn't feel too rubbish when we were racking up 3 x 4-0 wins and a champs league 3-0 win by the end of September

Yagami

Good post resistant
Didn't feel too rubbish when we were racking up 3 x 4-0 wins and a champs league 3-0 win by the end of September
The scoreline wasn't but the performances weren't anything special either. Hopefully the goals don't dry up.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The official line is, leaving the technical area. Pawson is a useless cnut but ended up doing us a favour. Southampton were about to take a corner but it broke the rhythm so ended 0-1.

I'll bet if Klopp or Conte did their best American Werewolf In London impression on the touchline, he wouldn't have sent them to the stands. It's utter bollocks
What a load of utter bollocks!

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It was evident today more than ever just what Pogba offers the team. When he plays, he's the focal point of the midfield and everyone is positioned to get the best from him. Today, there was too much standing off.

Herrera shouldn't get gametime again for a while after that performance. @GifLord aroind the 63:10 mark rashford goes on a dribble, gets a lucky break and then Herrera comes in where he had a little bit of space and could have let the ball roll through him but he dribbled it back into the Southampton players. The man is constantly trying to play one dimensional and not catering to the needs of the team at all.
this?

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 536 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd