Manchester United 0:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 December 2017

sunama

Baghdad Bob
There is nothing positive to say.
1, It was boring to watch.
2, We slipped to 3rd place.
3, we only got a point in a home game, against a relegation threatened team.
4, Lukaku injured and Ibra is not ready to play (as per Jose's comments in the post match interview).
5, 3 points out of 9 is a terrible return.
6, The only positive I guess is that Jose now knows that Miki is finished (but perhaps, this is a negative?).

As for Jose out....I am not a teenager who wants a manager sacked after we draw against Southampton or slip to 3rd place. For those who want him out, you need to consider that if he leaves, we won't win the league for at least 2-3 years. With Jose in charge we have a good chance of winning it as early as next season.
Although I am backing Jose, 100%, I will admit that Jose needs to do something fast and show us that he is one of the best managers in the World, because he has not covered himself in glory in the last 4 games (which includes a loss to a Championship side).

GiddyUp

Rashford needs to be dropped immediately, he has contributed nothing to our play for 3 months now. Mata, slowest player in the league. Pogba and Matic were fecking shite today. Mkhitarian, what can we say only he is done at this club, another Depay that the club were dupped in to signing.
I'm still relaxed but watching United from October onwards is frustrating and my level of disgust and these so called United players grows every week. Jose is right, over the next couple of seasons this club need to spend hundreds of millions to be anywhere close to league or champions league contenders. Smalling, Young, Lingard, Mata, Darmian, Shaw, Blind, Fellaini are just not good enough and I would seriously question Rashford and Martials quality in this league. Potential yes but at this point I would take Giroud of Arsenal before them two as its goals we need and they are not providing it. Hyperbole I know but feck it, if we don't improve we will not be a top four club for too long. Another thing I would like to see is Jose change his back room staff, they have gone stale in this league.

dmode

A goal would have made all the comments here invalid you know... we are tired and very unlucky in terms of injuries, penalties, etc.

I still keep my belief in Mourinho and I still believe we have more than decent lads. We lick our wounds and we throw the kitchen sink at it like the old times, at least I wish.

Sing you a song

We were drifting towards mediocrity, now we're on a collision course to it. I think a new signing will definitely reinvigorate the team, but at this point I would be hard put to identify anyone who could be both willing to join, and have the potential to become a definite asset to this team. For one thing, I'm not sure if having a less than reliable defensive line means that Mourinho has to rein it his attacking ardours, or whether he would choose to play with this system even if he had the right players. What I mean to say is, would it matter bringing in the best players we can find if this is how they're set up?

In his last title-winning season at Chelsea, Mourinho's team managed to have one of the highest number of chances created, and yet concede the least amount of goals. The difference is that Hazard isn't around this time. But even more crucially, Chelsea's back line looked solid at that time, whereas ours simply doesn't. This meant that both Oscar and Fabregas could operate further up the pitch and prod for errors in the opposition's defense while Hazard did his thing, all in safe knowledge that they weren't going to get sucker punched if things go wrong. Threats on to the opposition's defense could come from a variety of sources, and they certainly did. I had thought that strengthening the team defensively was the solution to unleash Pogba, and Matic's presence in the team, while beneficial hasn't exactly done that. Maybe it has, and it's just that Pogba is just not up to it at the moment. Who knows, though: a defensive leader could drastically alter the dynamics of this team.

A player with flair could be the answer. I'm afraid that this system just doesn't seem to get the best of Mata and Mkhi, and Rashford's form isn't exactly scintillating in his current role. Lingard is good but only when he can use his speed and positional sense to create chances for himself, and I thus see him more as a late-game impact player.

There is no question in my mind whether Mourinho needs players. The real question is, just how many?[/QUOTE

Mahrez

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Do you really think that Jose is here for the long haul? If not then what's the difference starting again next season or the season after when his contract is up?
Because you can't keep firing managers if they have a bad month.
You need to give them time and ensure that there is progression.
Up until a month ago, there was certainly progression and we were in a strong 2nd place.
Unfortunately, this last month has been poor and should not be used as a basis to hit the reset button.
When the reset button is pressed, it must be done so because there is absolutely no alternative.

Acole9

Outstanding
That was a rather boring match, 90 minutes I'm never going to get back. Hate to be pessimistic but I can't see us getting anything vs Everton. We just look so toothless in our attacking play.

Shimo

Horrid game and result. It's amazing how as a team we can't make crisp passes, even the short ones are so lethargic and little things like that leads to limp displays like today. It's like we think we can just show up and win because we are Man United. And now Everton away, which I would have thought would be a very winnable game now makes me dread playing them. There needs to be a "player meeting" or something and call out some of these pathetic attempts. We don't always have to play well but, putting on that shirt, it should never ever be the case where the team has no desire and that looked like a game where majority had none.

The match going fans were worse than the team today.
My first match in person. And I am not putting down any of the regulars but, I truly was shocked. I was in N3426 and was going crazy with every call and every give away, jumped out of my seat on the couple early chances and the handball but, it was dead around me. Every time the small section of fans - opposite site of Stretford end - started to sing, I would try join in and clap but, absolutely zero around bothered. One lady kept turning around looking at me as though I was ruining a nice play or something. I really thought there would be at least more pockets of effort by the general fans even if it wasn't for the whole game but, there was nothing until the last maybe 8 minutes or so of regulation. Same as the players on the field, that's when they felt any urgency.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This is what many of us were saying back then. Why clip the wings of the players in mid flight? It wasn't broke so why try to fix it? I agree the rot started then.

Back then we were called fickle moaners who should have been glad of a point at Anfield , but now we aren't looking quite so stupid after all.
I remember after a month of poor results equalling our equally good month at the th
I don't post much in the Post match threads. Possibly done around five or six times this season.
I was just pointing out that your three words described most of our season perfectly so far.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The last 8 minutes of the game were the hardest that United tried today. It was very sad to see because it really confirmed it in my head that they had 0 interest in putting that much effort from minute 60-85. They looked completely satisfied with the idea that they were not going to win the league. Deflated.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Because you can't keep firing managers if they have a bad month.
You need to give them time and ensure that there is progression.
Up until a month ago, there was certainly progression and we were in a strong 2nd place.
Unfortunately, this last month has been poor and should not be used as a basis to hit the reset button.
When the reset button is pressed, it must be done so because there is absolutely no alternative.
It's crazy to wish for Jose to be gone. He's one of the top five managers around and none of the others are available. Anyway it's much more likely that he will blow himself up without any outside help. We just need to hope that it happens later or never, rather than sooner.

Tosicsleftpeg

Honestly that was proper déjà vu, seen it dozens of times in the past 4 years. Lethargic play with no urgency and players making the wrong decisions constantly.

Even the basic things were not happening, For example Shaw ran down the wing and drew a defender out then Miki instead of busting a gut behind him into space just stood there like a lemon. Movement is honestly terrible out there and the build up play is woeful. The amount of times where we had the ball out wide and instead of playing a clever ball into the side between full back and center back allowing a player to get the ball to get inside the area we simply crossed it to no one.

I coach at a crap level and even I was picking up so many mistakes going forward, obviously the time and pressure on the ball is hard to measure from the stands but you expect better.

You can feel the mood is simply dead around the club which is worrying. We are desperate for positivity.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Had to think pretty hard after that game about whether it was as bad as what we served up at times under LVG, or actually even worse.

- Our strongest spell of the game was the 6 minutes when we couldn't feck anything up, because the game had stopped for Lukaku to be treated.

- Mhikitaryan was terrible and looked like he'd been training with Bebe, but to be honest, at least he was trying and putting a shift in. He was making himself available every time and if there was a lose ball in his area of the pitch he was making sure he was there first. If a loose ball ended up in Pogba or Matic's area of the pitch, a Southampton player would still have gotten to it first if their entire team had turned up at the Etihad by mistake.

- I have no idea at this point why Rashford would be getting picked or coming on ahead of any of our other attacking players. He has offered absolutely nothing for months other than poncing about like a terrible Ronaldo impersonator, and on top of that he's become really fecking lazy. Only makes runs when it's of direct benefit to him and not the team as a whole, slows the game down whenever he gets the ball. Gives up and just stands there like a plank whenever he loses the ball or it doesn't get to him. One moment of semi quality per game (if you're lucky) doesn't come close to justifing this kind of shite. Needs to go back to playing like the player who got in the team because the other reserve striker got injured, but suspect wont until Jose actually shows that he's willing to drop him.

- Matic was either injured or drunk. Either way, sub him off. Yes he is better than Herrera. Yes he has been consistently good this season, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to leave him on the pitch when he is playing with the energy and ability of a 100 year old man attending his own funeral.

- How many times did Shaw get the ball and just lazily boot it into the defender rather than look for a passing option or try and make room to put a cross in? Is this acceptable now? Just ge tthe ball and feck it, do whatever means you don't have to move?

- Rashford is STILL taking some of our fecking corners. Why? HE IS SHITE AT THEM!!! How fecking stupid is everyone in our team and coaching staff for this to still be a thing at this point? "The last 500 times I touched the electric fence I got an electric shock, but I reckon on the 501st time I'll be fine"

- Pogba is another who ony seems to be interested in the game when it suits him (i.e. when he can show off). He'll get angry and sulk or wave his arms around in frustration, but he wont actually do or try anything extra to you know, help win the game. I keep saying this, but you have to keep reminding yourself this guy is in his mid 20s, because he plays like someone with the mental age of a 10 year old. All the ability in the world but zero ability to know how to win.

- I have nothing positive to say. That was pathtic.

- Getting to the point where it's no longer panicking agenda nonsense to start questioning Jose. The performances have been poor for some time and it's the same mistakes and problems game after game. I still don't even see a team that's willing to fight or work it's way out of a corner, and that's the bare minimum requirement of a title challenging side. Today looked like a 90 minute sulk. There's half the season left yet and our players have given up? I mean, it's not like any stat or performance you can fiind suggests they were working their socks off to begin with.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
A goal would have made all the comments here invalid you know... we are tired and very unlucky in terms of injuries, penalties, etc.

I still keep my belief in Mourinho and I still believe we have more than decent lads. We lick our wounds and we throw the kitchen sink at it like the old times, at least I wish.
Any more excuses you want to roll off?

Of course a goal would have made all the comments invalid. Let's also give ourselves wins in all the matches we've dropped points in. It's looking really rosy now.

The Purley King

Positives: shaw, Lingard, the defence.
Atrocious: everyone else.
Lingard is a necessity at this stage the only player with any semblance of movement.
Shaw did well but regrettably had mhiki trying to connect with him.
Pobga way too deep.

The concerning issue is that there was 0 structure to our attacking play. That lack of structure has been there for a while. That needs to get unfecked asap. Problem is I don’t see Jose as the man to do it.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Positives: shaw, Lingard, the defence.
Atrocious: everyone else.
Lingard is a necessity at this stage the only player with any semblance of movement.
Shaw did well but regrettably had mhiki trying to connect with him.
Pobga way too deep.

The concerning issue is that there was 0 structure to our attacking play. That lack of structure has been there for a while. That needs to get unfecked asap. Problem is I don’t see Jose as the man to do it.
Sorry Shaw, couldn’t cross past the first man and lingard constantly gave the ball away and did his usual passing behind a runner and missing a sitter. There were no positives. None.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I think you should have had a penalty and both Rashford and Lukaku could have scored from crosses yet failed to hit the target.
Lingard is looking like he will become a good player yet I think Rashford needs to go out on loan, too long playing wide in an unnatural position has hindered his chances at CF.

Still not sure about Pogba and doubt he is a JM signing and for me more a board signing for merchandise or TV coverage abroad.

The Purley King

Sorry Shaw, couldn’t cross past the first man and lingard constantly gave the ball away and did his usual passing behind a runner and missing a sitter. There were no positives. None.
I’m sorry if you can’t see what Lingard brings to the team then I’m not sure I can help you.
We are SO fecking static it beggars belief.
Him and mata at a push are the only players that are on the move. Lots of the rest could be marked by traffic cones.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I’m sorry if you can’t see what Lingard brings to the team then I’m not sure I can help you.
We are SO fecking static it beggars belief.
Him and mata at a push are the only players that are on the move. Lots of the rest could be marked by traffic cones.
Yes they do both move well, the difference is when mata gets the ball he uses it well and doesn’t just give the ball to the opposition. Lingard was utter crap today and our poor attack is as much down to him as Mkhitaryan and Rashford.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Honestly think that Mkhitaryan showing may have been the worse performance I’ve ever seen from a United player. Trying to think of worse and just can’t. It’s almost as though he was bribed. He’s completely lost it.

Toad

Had 6 good chances, 1 was shooting through a crowd of players, 3 were crosses, 1 was a cross from a set piece and 1 was a free kick on the edge of the box.

- There is absolutely no one in our team except Martial who can dribble past the defence to create an opening on goal.

- Nobody got in behind to create a clear chance on goal.

- Nobody managed to thread the ball through to create a chance.

- The team didn’t create any space for themselves in the final third.

It may just be the tactics or it may be the players themselves but I think it is a mixture of both. The three behind the striker today - Mkhitaryan, Mata and Lingard obviously cannot create space for each other, pick a good pass or dribble past a player.

Granted, Lingard has recently got his shooting boots and has got pretty good movement. Mata can play good passes now and again. Mkhitaryan can dribble past a player WHEN he is in some sort of form but it’s just not good enough to have 3 players that have 1 good attribute out of 3 each.

We need players behind the striker that have all 3 of those attributes. Without trying to turn this into a City post they have De Bruyne, he can dribble past players, play great passes and has great movement. Silva the same. Sanchez. Salah. Coutinho. Hazard. William. Sane. Alli. Christ even Sterling and Zaha manage to get past there man, create chances and find space.

If we are only crossing to create chances and can’t do anything else then it really says a lot about how shocking our 3 behind/either side of the striker really are. Enough of being bias towards our players, the fact is they are not good enough to have in our starting lineup week in week out.

Lingard and Mata have grabbed goals recently but it’s so inconsistent yet still we all think they are world class and deserve never to be out of the starting lineup just because they have scored.

Lingard seems to be in some sort of form so he should play, only because he is the best we have at the moment and not because he is the best we should have.

We need a massive rebuild up top it obvious. A right sided player, a proper number 10. Martial and Rashford rotating on the left is good.

The only players that deserve to be in the first team and should be part of a title winning side are De Gea, probably any CB’s because hey have all done good jobs, Maybe Ashley young, Pogba, Matic, Martial, not so much Rashford at the moment but need to remember he is still young, then Lukaku considering if he had the service he would bang them in.

/rant

Revaulx

Had to think pretty hard after that game about whether it was as bad as what we served up at times under LVG, or actually even worse.

- Our strongest spell of the game was the 6 minutes when we couldn't feck anything up, because the game had stopped for Lukaku to be treated.

- Mhikitaryan was terrible and looked like he'd been training with Bebe, but to be honest, at least he was trying and putting a shift in. He was making himself available every time and if there was a lose ball in his area of the pitch he was making sure he was there first. If a loose ball ended up in Pogba or Matic's area of the pitch, a Southampton player would still have gotten to it first if their entire team had turned up at the Etihad by mistake.

- I have no idea at this point why Rashford would be getting picked or coming on ahead of any of our other attacking players. He has offered absolutely nothing for months other than poncing about like a terrible Ronaldo impersonator, and on top of that he's become really fecking lazy. Only makes runs when it's of direct benefit to him and not the team as a whole, slows the game down whenever he gets the ball. Gives up and just stands there like a plank whenever he loses the ball or it doesn't get to him. One moment of semi quality per game (if you're lucky) doesn't come close to justifing this kind of shite. Needs to go back to playing like the player who got in the team because the other reserve striker got injured, but suspect wont until Jose actually shows that he's willing to drop him.

- Matic was either injured or drunk. Either way, sub him off. Yes he is better than Herrera. Yes he has been consistently good this season, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to leave him on the pitch when he is playing with the energy and ability of a 100 year old man attending his own funeral.

- How many times did Shaw get the ball and just lazily boot it into the defender rather than look for a passing option or try and make room to put a cross in? Is this acceptable now? Just ge tthe ball and feck it, do whatever means you don't have to move?

- Rashford is STILL taking some of our fecking corners. Why? HE IS SHITE AT THEM!!! How fecking stupid is everyone in our team and coaching staff for this to still be a thing at this point? "The last 500 times I touched the electric fence I got an electric shock, but I reckon on the 501st time I'll be fine"

- Pogba is another who ony seems to be interested in the game when it suits him (i.e. when he can show off). He'll get angry and sulk or wave his arms around in frustration, but he wont actually do or try anything extra to you know, help win the game. I keep saying this, but you have to keep reminding yourself this guy is in his mid 20s, because he plays like someone with the mental age of a 10 year old. All the ability in the world but zero ability to know how to win.

- I have nothing positive to say. That was pathtic.

- Getting to the point where it's no longer panicking agenda nonsense to start questioning Jose. The performances have been poor for some time and it's the same mistakes and problems game after game. I still don't even see a team that's willing to fight or work it's way out of a corner, and that's the bare minimum requirement of a title challenging side. Today looked like a 90 minute sulk. There's half the season left yet and our players have given up? I mean, it's not like any stat or performance you can fiind suggests they were working their socks off to begin with.
What this guy says. All spot on. I just can’t see how things are going to change for the better.

I expected the worst the moment it was announced that Pogba was captain. Has the armband ever been worn by anyone less deserving?

Cloud7

What are you all complaining about? We’re still in second place. Once Pogba comes back from injury and we spend 500 million on full backs we’ll be able to dispatch teams like Bristol and Southampton

ManUSarge

It's broke. Fix it. Slow passing. Calmly jogging around the pitch not really looking to get open. Very few runs in behind. Few of the team play with much desire. Few on the team work hard going forward. Is that by design or player choice? Mata has the heart but not the pace. Lingard has the heart but lacks the technical ability. Martial has all the technical ability but is pretty lethargic most of the time. Lukaku wants it and works hard...just comes up a bit short. Miki...oh dear. Shaw doesn't realize that his cross will be blocked if a bloke is standing in front of him. We have no ability to break down teams. We seem to do best on counters but possess the ball the most against weaker teams....and cannot do anything with it. Pretty dire stuff.

meamth

What frustrated me the most was that Rashford substitution..why not put Martial at the center?

Mikhi need games to build his confidence but if I'm the manager, this is not the time to build your confidence.

minoo-utd

Okay it's pretty obvious players lost of hope after realizing that they will not win the league again but that is not an excuse they should immediately set a new challenge which is finishing second at least and now if second is beyond reach they will let us drop even lower, it's so unprofessional from them so un experienced unfortunately some of them will never be up to United standards under any manager.
Rashford has to be dropped I'm really fed up with him really can't see him playing for us again just a negative low mentality kind of player.
Mkhitaryan oh wow what can I say everyone knows he has to be off so soon, what a waste of money.
The likes of Darmian, Blind, Ibra, Young, Shwa, Smalling, Mata well some of them need to go and some are just finished and got old might be a backup but overall not good enough and not up to our standards, and that put us IMO in a very difficult situation which is we need to spend and spend big bringing like 5 6 players over the next 2 windows and get rid of at least 5 it won't be an easy job.
And first of all we need to renew our trust in the manager the board has to support Jose.

Chillosophy

One of the worst United performances I can remember, and i've seen pretty much every single game for the past 5 years bar a few League cup ones..

minoo-utd

What frustrated me the most was that Rashford substitution..why not put Martial at the center?

Mikhi need games to build his confidence but if I'm the manager, this is not the time to build your confidence.
Mikhi didn't get even one cross right it was always a heavy ball in or a miss pass he is so poor and need to be gone surely.
Rashford if we have to keep him because he is an academy player and so then he only can be used as a sub IMO.

Foxbatt

No one is talking about one of the most open chances that could have been. It came from the Mikhi over hit cross. Mata picked it up on the right and all he had to do was to pass it to Young who was alone inside their box without an opposing player near him. Mata refused and took the ball inside as he usually does and the chance was gone.

Pscholes18

Excuses that are used week in, week out....all teams are tired, have injuries and dont always get the calls to go their way.

Tmac1090

I honestly don't know what to feel.I used to believe that Mourinho could bring us back to the glory land, but the performances we've had the last games is diabolical and his tacitcs seems extremely outdated. United should steamroll many of the lesser teams, but we're not even close. I for one think United should go all in for Pochettino. Mou seems just out of it and should consider the portugal NT.

crazylegz

it feels like deja vu, i swear last season we started of really well, looking like potential title challengers for a couple of months but then team started to really go off the boil around the xmas period and carried it on for a majority of the season and were saved by the europa cup competition?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
3 successive draws. Pathetic. Rashford was way too selfish today and Pogba really should be doing better for being a 90 mil signing.

Klopp_De_Klown

Hate to say it but Liverpool are better than us.
That's pretty much agreed at this point... :(
Lads its actually worse than that. We have feckin turned into liverpool.

Anybody remember the cup match in 98/99, think they were top or second at the time and we were just on the climb back towards the top after a shaky start. We won with a stoppage-time winner. Point being they never recorvered. Their season went down hill from that.
Remind you of anybody lately?

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton