PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Mon, 13 July 2020

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Leicester are fecking awful right now and are down to the bare bones defensively.
Leicester are shit atm but you just know they Will play some WC football against us on the final day. Vardy on steriods, maybe Evans nick a goal. Who knows.. we are the team everyone wants to beat that’s for sure.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Leicester are shit atm but you just know they Will play some WC football against us on the final day. Vardy on steriods, maybe Evans nick a goal. Who knows.. we are the team everyone wants to beat that’s for sure.
If anything Evans will do his service and score an own goal.

ArjenIsM3

Leicester are fecking crap
Yes. Lately at least. But we weren't good against Villa and we were worse today. You can see our energy levels are dropping. That means we're going to have to rotate. If we rotate, our quality takes a huge hit. We might also be without both our left backs for the remaining league games. Today was a bad day for us and it might impact morale too.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
The tone of this forum has gone from 'we don't need to rotate, we'll just sub after an hour when the games are done' to 'bunch of bottlers. No chance of CL now, its done'. Because we drew a game.

I wish it was genuine discussion instead of people just smashing their keyboards. If this was a meeting about a project that went shite, then this forum is the written equivalent of those people throwing themselves out of the window.
That's what happens when we let it go down to the wire. We had barely any room for mistakes before, and have none left now.

It's worrying now though, with games coming up thick and fast and our players getting tired. I'm also not that convinced that our earlier great performances weren't more down to our opponents being poor than us being great. We'll see what we're really made of in the remaining games.

GenZRed

Well I suppose if you have very very low expectations then the only way is up!
Whenever I do get any expectations I end up disappointed and bitter. Might as well just sack football off. I didn't miss it when it was off because of the pandemic.

Dudu

Had we won tonight, a draw at Leicester could have been enough for CL. Now we'll almost certainly need to win, if we're still in contention by then.
You really expect Leicester and Chelsea to not drop points?! The same teams that got battered by Bornemouth and Sheffield just the other day.

We just need to concentrate on winning the next 2 and see then what needs to be done on the last game - if anything at all.

DevilRed

fecking hell. The negativity on here is depressing
Can you blame us? Its year after year of shitting the bed. Same thing happened last season. EXACTLY the same.

Wish they would let the fans into the dressing room and have a go at the players to wake up.

I trust Ole to continue the rebuild, but I don't trust some of these lads to get us over the line. Hopefully the summer will bring in one or two more strong characters that can improve our team and make the difference between grinding out 3 points and throwing it away at the last minute.

AKDevil

It's also worrying that we were unable to control the game even when they were on the pitch. Any pressing and we're in trouble.
haha, fair. We should have wised up and adapted on the fly. Too much play in central areas, Matic and Pogba holding onto ball too long. Ah well. Live and learn. Onto the next. Tricky in that have to rest players before semi but zero confidence in what’s in reserve.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Last 10-15 minutes was a tough watch. The goal you felt was coming. Tired legs and chances coming.

I know you like playing your inform players, but tiredness comes into play here too unfortunately. Then changes made then meant we just couldn’t hold the ball or dictate the play.

Wheato

There's no point in digging out any players on here tonight. As a collective we were all off from the word go. They were way more up for it than anyone expected. They were buzzing around us like wasps, cutting out passes, doubling up on target men, not giving anyone a second on the ball. Pogba was highlighted for being too slow in their goal, but it was happening all over the pitch, everyone was getting dispossessed. I had a concern that we would run out of steam with the way we have been playing, but just didn't know when. Well done to Southampton, they got it spot on tonight, and we just could put them away. I think an ice bath for everyone tonight and as much rest as possible. Fred, McTominay and James to start the next game. We need to rest some players. This is still in our hands. Win our remaining games and we are 4th. Win the Europa and we also get into the CL. Plenty more legs in this season yet.

Duncan the Great

What do they do in training????????? Why isn't De Gea dealing with that ball or Maguire heading it? That's why we bought him, after all he can't do anything else, too slow on the ball and definitely cannot pass a ball unless it's back to De Gea or square to l Lindelöf, should have gone for Mings when we brought back Tuanzebe bloody sure they'd be better than these two carthorses. We're definitely going nowhere with Ole at the helm, has anyone any idea what system or tactics he is coaching? So unbalanced from back to front, getting results from moments of individual skill and you don't win trophies at this level with this sort of performance.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We looked tired - mentally and physically. The subs may have been necessary, fitness wise, but made us worse. We didn't make a lot of chances, but we did make and miss a couple of good ones. Williams injury was the top hat on it really, we went from bumbling to clueless in added time.

Southampton played to their strengths, and even got away with a few things which the ref could have caught. In the end though, hard to claim that the equaliser was a surprise.

Tough night.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Can you blame us? Its year after year of shitting the bed. Same thing happened last season. EXACTLY the same.

Wish they would let the fans into the dressing room and have a go at the players to wake up.

I trust Ole to continue the rebuild, but I don't trust some of these lads to get us over the line. Hopefully the summer will bring in one or two more strong characters that can improve our team and make the difference between grinding out 3 points and throwing it away at the last minute.
Yes, it’s knee jerk reactions and it’s over the top. We could’ve easily won tonight against a good side and everything would’ve been hunky dory.

It wasn’t a bottle job performance, it was disappointing yes, but if Martial takes one of the two good chances he has, or they don’t make that block on rashford, we get three points. If shaw AND Williams don’t get injured, we probably get the three points.

We might not get top 4, but the chances are that we probably will, because we’ve not lost for 18 games and going unbeaten for the next 3 will more than likely be enough

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You have to understand that we have absolutely no room or margin for error though.

Home matches are supposed to be won. Especially when you're 2-1 up with only a minute to go. Call it bad luck. Call it lack of bottle.

We just can't seem to get over the line with this team. Its a mental thing.
Its not though really. We showed great character to get in front after a goal that we (Pogba) handed to them on a plate. Then we were more unlucky than anything else.

We were very comfortable. Then we lose our left-back. Then we lose his replacement (who we are not allowed to replace), and lo and behold we concede from the far post from a corner from the right. The football gods were against us tonight

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The most annoying thing is if you had to sum up the past 7 years in one game then tonight would probably be it. We still start slow as shit and we seem to concede last minute goals when it is vital that we don't.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The performance and result were depressing. The negativity is an inevitable consequence.
The performance wasn’t that bad. Result was disappointing I agree. But people are going off like that’s the end of any top 4 hopes

Icemav

Whenever I do get any expectations I end up disappointed and bitter. Might as well just sack football off. I didn't miss it when it was off because of the pandemic.
I did more than I thought I would. And we have been incredibly entertaining and all around awesome since coming back. But as they say in psychology, the pain of a loss is much greater/longer than the pleasure of a victory. Chin up. If life was certain then football would be boring.

In the name of excitement, why not hope we need win on the final day and the boys deliver something to have us screaming and jumping around.

Machine Elements

This was our 11-12 Everton at home moment. Only difference is we were going for title then and are trying to get top 4 now.

You know what they say; a team resemble it's manager. I knew we were dropping points today after both Chelsea & Leicester were beaten. We already failed to capitalize on our rival's dropped points god knows how many times last season and there's absolutely nothing new this year either. It was easy to blame De Gea as he made some individual mistakes in the last part of the season last year but it was the team's not good enough mentality that cost us the top 4. It's the same all over. We don't have the right mentality and it's on the manager.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Has a goal ever been more inevitable? That Southampton equaliser could be seen coming ten miles away, never mind one.

Abysmal.
Right up there with the Fulham equaliser in the famous game of a million crosses :mad:

DevilRed

Its not though really. We showed great character to get in front after a goal that we (Pogba) handed to them on a plate. Then we were more unlucky than anything else.

We were very comfortable. Then we lose our left-back. Then we lose his replacement (who we are not allowed to replace), and lo and behold we concede from the far post from a corner from the right. The football gods were against us tonight
Yes. I've been saying this for a while now. OGS was unbelievably lucky as a player. As a manager, I've never seen so much bad luck regarding untimely injuries and missing key players for large swathes of the season.

Then of course something like today happened. Chalk it down to luck or lack of bottle (if you're more cynical). I'm just tired of it though. I wish we had some leaders like Vidic and Ferdinand to drag us through and get the 3 points. Instead we have victor lindelof who can't even stand infront of a substitute striker because he is too weak.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
If anything Evans will do his service and score an own goal.
:lol: He certainly know a thing or two about own goals.
Last post of the day. Dont feel inspired at all after tonights shit show.
Take care man, see u in betting thread.

RuudTom83

You can’t expect silky football every match, especially when the starting 11 are being asked to play every couple of days.

It’s 2 points dropped but we only have to wait until Thursday to get back to winning ways.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Poor result, I don’t think the performance was that bad? Should have scored at least two more goals, on another day we win 4-2.

Two full backs get injured and we go to sleep on a corner and unfortunately we drop the points. It is what it is, you can’t win them all.

A real wake up call for the lads, I was ready to wax lyrical about the side coming through a really tough game and seeing it out.

GenZRed

This was our 11-12 Everton at home moment. Only difference is we were going for title then and are trying to get top 4 now.

You know what they say; a team resemble it's manager. I knew we were dropping points today after both Chelsea & Leicester were beaten. We already failed to capitalize on our rival's dropped points god knows how many times last season and there's absolutely nothing new this year either. It was easy to blame De Gea as he made some individual mistakes in the last part of the season last year but it was the team's not good enough mentality that cost us the top 4. It's the same all over. We don't have the right mentality and it's on the manager.
Enough said.

Also, don't blame the manager for DDG being a spineless wimp. He is the best manager we have had since Fergie. He is astute in the transfer market, unlike LvG and Jose who spunked money up the wall.

DevilRed

Yes, it’s knee jerk reactions and it’s over the top. We could’ve easily won tonight against a good side and everything would’ve been hunky dory.

It wasn’t a bottle job performance, it was disappointing yes, but if Martial takes one of the two good chances he has, or they don’t make that block on rashford, we get three points. If shaw AND Williams don’t get injured, we probably get the three points.

We might not get top 4, but the chances are that we probably will, because we’ve not lost for 18 games and going unbeaten for the next 3 will more than likely be enough
It reminds me of the end of season run last year.

Lets be real. We are yet again running out of gas at the wrong time.

We should have finished off soton several times. I agree! But we didn't and thats down to the likes of Rashford and Martial not being clinical enough. Especially Rashford, who many have been criticising for wasting numerous chances througout this run. Its finally cost us.

Sancho and a centreback are imperative this summer. Hopefully we can bring in a decent central midfielder too, so we don't have to rely on 31 year old Matic for two matches in a week.

What do they do in training????????? Why isn't De Gea dealing with that ball or Maguire heading it? That's why we bought him, after all he can't do anything else, too slow on the ball and definitely cannot pass a ball unless it's back to De Gea or square to l Lindelöf, should have gone for Mings when we brought back Tuanzebe bloody sure they'd be better than these two carthorses. We're definitely going nowhere with Ole at the helm, has anyone any idea what system or tactics he is coaching? So unbalanced from back to front, getting results from moments of individual skill and you don't win trophies at this level with this sort of performance.
:lol: Wow. The most reactionary post of the night. We drew against against a Southampton side, who are one of the best away teams in the league, who also should’ve most certainly been down to ten men. This means Ole out all over again after all the good work we’ve done since January? Jesus.

Infra-red

The performance wasn’t that bad. Result was disappointing I agree. But people are going off like that’s the end of any top 4 hopes
We're still in the hunt for top 4, of course.

The result (and the obvious legginess of some of the players) does however call in to question our ability to get wins away at Palace and Leicester, which we are now quite likely to need to do.

Teja

Wow, you all need a chill pill. I know it hurts but it doesn't justify the amount of negativity or question marks being thrown that the team in this thread.

I'm still happy with what we saw out there and barring that freak collision we probably would've gotten the 3 pts.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Poor result, I don’t think the performance was that bad? Should have scored at least two more goals, on another day we win 4-2.

Two full backs get injured and we go to sleep on a corner and unfortunately we drop the points. It is what it is, you can’t win them all.

A real wake up call for the lads, I was ready to wax lyrical about the side coming through a really tough game and seeing it out.
Is Southampton at home that difficult? Fair enough if we were all over them and they got a fluke on a set piece but we didn’t touch the ball for the final 20 minutes of the game.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

Very odd to blame the manager's mentality? If anything I would posit that the manager hasn't developed or drilled a sufficiently robust possession game in our team.

Ash_G

Really frustrating that we haven't capitalised on the position we were in but clearly not as doom and gloom as some are saying. It's still in our hands.

I thought today we showed a lot of naivety both in the players on the pitch who frequently gave the ball away cheaply, but also tactically. We were clearly struggling to play the ball out from the back and a lot of players looked tired but I don't think we reacted until it was too late, in particular I thought we could have brought in another player to sit deep with Matic earlier or maybe go to the 532 that we've used well previously.

Of course we were unlucky to go down to 10 men which may have made the difference but in reality we just weren't quite up for it which is a bit surprising given we clearly have something to play for compared to Southampton.

Hopefully a wake up call for the players. Win our last 3 PL games and we're in the top 4 and they're all winnable but we have to stay focussed.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Is Southampton at home that difficult? Fair enough if we were all over them and they got a fluke on a set piece but we didn’t touch the ball for the final 20 minutes of the game.
Oh yeah the last 20 mins were awful, but it felt like we were trying to hit them on the break, Southampton weren’t creating an awful lot.

Lost bear

Don't you dare come in here with your reasonable post. You should know that if United don't win you're not allowed to be positive, or even reasonable.
Ah yes, silly of me..
I should add, though, for the benefit of those ‘venting’ - I fecking hate Southampton too!

croadyman

Hopefully tonight has shown the board that Ole needs better bench options and what was Dan James thinking giving away that free kick in the corner

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 3:1 Southampton