PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 February 2022

Cantonagotmehere

I guess I’m the only one who’s not too bothered. Yeah I’d like CL footie, who wouldn’t, but you can see the reeducation of the players. Everything about our play, except our finishing and our ability to maintain shape for 90 mins, is vastly improved. We are evolving a style, gaining more control. You really don’t want to do a transition like this mid season, but here we are. I like the direction we are heading in. Feels like we have a real football man in Rangnick.

I appreciate this won’t be a popular opinion, but I’ve seen too many false dawns to get excited by one now. I prefer the slow methodical development. It feels like it has substance to it.
Yes, totally agree. Bummed about the 1-1 today, but I look forward to the matches and the way we playing for the most part. We are so damn lazy, it wont change over night.

We are f#cked with these owners, we just need to hope Ralf and who ever comes next can fight through the muck and make us competitive again.

Roane

So much going wrong in the goal
And de gea is what you pick up on?
great finish
No keeper is saving it
Disagree with that. He got in a good position and then basically sat down and stuck out a leg.

Any other keeper dives forward for that.

Foxbatt

I have no idea what is going on. The love I have for this club is fading away. Not during our time in the second division has got me so despondent.
I have a lot of respect for RR. But I don't know what is going on. This is not the way RR played. Maybe what RH said was what happened. Our players ran out of gas. But we didn't create much in the first half either. People blame Ronaldo but there is no other options for RR now. Maybe play Bruno as a false 9 and bring in Lingard into midfield? Or Hannibal? Surely he needs to change.

Dash247

Glad i stopped watching our games since the last few weeks. I love the team and will always do but Its just frustrating at this point.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Glad i stopped watching our games since the last few weeks. I love the team and will always do but Its just frustrating at this point.
Have to say that while I continue to watch them, it is very frustrating and disappointing.
We keep hearing that we are a side of highly talented individuals.
But while true, these highly talented individuals are not playing anything like well enough to justify their reputations.
United are a pretty mediocre team. And the table doesn't lie.

Gopher Brown

For what feels like the 50th time this season we were out worked by the opposition which is totally unacceptable. In the second half it’s like they had 3 extra players on the pitch - every time our player got the ball he had 3 Southampton players tearing after it.

We then didn’t do the same because their players actually know how to play football and pass or dribble their way out of trouble.

It’s an utter shambles at the moment and I’m starting to wonder if any of these players are good enough.

We’ve trained all the dynamism out of Rashford. Sancho and Elanga will follow. Maguire just can’t play football any more. McTominay is never in the right place defensively. Dalot can’t cross. Shaw can’t cross. 10 more years of utter mediocrity

Hammondo

Sancho and Pogba were tidy and the rest were fecking useless!
Rashford plays like a kid on the playground trying tricks for the first time and nothing works, his general play is disgraceful!
Pogba should be dictating player, tidy is not close to enough.

Stig

I wish people wouldn’t quote Hassenhuttl as though he’s some kind of insightful genius. Yes, yes, we’re not fit and we don’t track back. We lose our shape when we concede. I remember him smugly saying AWB is not that comfortable on the ball, and that’s how Hassenhuttl knew they could beat us, which was a bit cnutish.
The Match of the Day experts said it was low that Hassenhuttl criticized the other team; but interestingly they both said what he said was true and showed:-
  1. Players not running to make space
  2. Players not tracking back
  3. Players, all of them, just standing still.
So it might not be polite but they 100% agreed with him and had the clips to show it, and said 'this is on the players not the manager'

I thought it was one of their better pieces of analysis.

ti vu

The Match of the Day experts said it was low that Hassenhuttl criticized the other team; but interestingly they both said what he said was true and showed:-
So it might not be polite but they 100% agreed with him and had the clips to show it, and said 'this is on the players not the manager'

In this case it can be both.

What I meant the team was not prepared fitness wise for this prolong intensity of high pressing, and high line front foot defending.

Hassenhuttl was honest when he said we were not used to this and after 30 or 40 minutes, our level dropped.

So the players don't make the most of the good period, and make tactical errors... Rangnick is idealist and not having a plan B (understandably for this type of coach), but the issue really lies with previous regime, not preparing the team with tactical foundation, high fitness level, lacking the right personnels because building the squad not with cohesive plan in mind.

Stig

In this case it can be both.

What I meant the team was not prepared fitness wise for this prolong intensity of high pressing, and high line front foot defending.

Hassenhuttl was honest when he said we were not used to this and after 30 or 40 minutes, our level dropped.

So the players don't make the most of the good period, and make tactical errors... Rangnick is idealist and not having a plan B (understandably for this type of coach), but the issue really lies with previous regime, not preparing the team with tactical foundation, high fitness level, lacking the right personnels because building the squad not with cohesive plan in mind.
I don't understand how professional footballers don't track back or run off the ball; I simply don't understand it.

OrcaFat

I agreed with him as well but what annoyed me was him saying it and then being held up as insightful. It’s blinking obvious. But I agree the MOTD analysis was a good illustration of the problems.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I guess I’m the only one who’s not too bothered. Yeah I’d like CL footie, who wouldn’t, but you can see the reeducation of the players. Everything about our play, except our finishing and our ability to maintain shape for 90 mins, is vastly improved. We are evolving a style, gaining more control. You really don’t want to do a transition like this mid season, but here we are. I like the direction we are heading in. Feels like we have a real football man in Rangnick.

I appreciate this won’t be a popular opinion, but I’ve seen too many false dawns to get excited by one now. I prefer the slow methodical development. It feels like it has substance to it.
Fully agree. Good post. It's weird that this should be considered an unpopular opinion

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Still doesn't mean you leave your man. Just like on Tuesday when Varane left Rodriguez. He was too busy ball watching and ball chasing. But he's not part of the agenda right now so nobody bothers. Bottom line, look at the unbiased stats. Whoscored had Maguire above Varane today. Don't get me wrong. I like Varane and think he's good. I just don't think Maguire is anywhere near as bad as people are making him out to be, and with a little support, I think he could be a lot better. But as a fan base, when a player is lacking confidence rather than trying to lift them, we keep trying to knock them down even further...

Harry Maguire Match Statistics (whoscored.com)

Raphaël Varane Match Statistics (whoscored.com)
Nah, mate. Maguire is absolute trash. You are right, however that Varane is pretty bad, as well and nobody mentions it.

That said, the goal with Southhampton is almost entirely on Rashford. He didn't track back, Dalot had to commit way high up to block the guy Rashford left, and in turn Dalot left his guy free, which ended up being the guy who scored the goal. Questionable play from Dalot but Rashford being a lazy passenger allowed Southhampton to overwhelm our defense and have advantage in numbers.

Fts 74

It's open season on us at the moment with other mangers (Wolves,Southampton,Brentford) and players (De Bryne with his training tactics dig)having a pop and sticking the boot in.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Nah, mate. Maguire is absolute trash. You are right, however that Varane is pretty bad, as well and nobody mentions it.

That said, the goal with Southhampton is almost entirely on Rashford. He didn't track back, Dalot had to commit way high up to block the guy Rashford left, and in turn Dalot left his guy free, which ended up being the guy who scored the goal. Questionable play from Dalot but Rashford being a lazy passenger allowed Southhampton to overwhelm our defense and have advantage in numbers.

That is poor isn't it? I wonder whether Rashford knows/admits it.

mk7

Spot on. The first half was entertaining, you could see that those tedious 11vs.11s pay off in the sense that we have an attacking structure and not just "go out and do your thing"-tactics.

The worrying thing or actually the teething problems of this change are visible when something goes wrong players revert to type and all of the drilled in patterns are forgotton and we are back to Hollywood-passes, cutting inside and shooting etc. etc.

RatPack

Fully agree on Rashford and Dalot do not have cover, he should have held back and not push forward. And Varane did not cover the inside pass. he should also have tracked backwards.
But Rashford and Dalot to blame for this goal.

Maniron

Were we not a better second half team under Ole? Are we not a better first half team under Ralf?

Is it half time team talks that have got worse or fitness levels, or is he simply playing a system the players aren't suited to?

Either way we need a better manager, and I am not sure Ralf will be wanted or needed by the pedigree of manager that we need. If they require hand holding or mentoring by RR they will be the wrong appointment (yet again)

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We still have a chance for 4th. These are the points from each teams' last 5 matches:

Wol 12
Ars 10
MU 9
WU 7
Tot 6
Chel 6

Granted, we probably played the easier schedule. I doubt Wolves can continue this form and no one is looking very consistent.

justsomebloke

We still have a chance for 4th. These are the points from each teams' last 5 matches:

Wol 12
Ars 10
MU 9
WU 7
Tot 6
Chel 6

Granted, we probably played the easier schedule. I doubt Wolves can continue this form and no one is looking very consistent.
True. But if we don't pick up consistency, all it takes is for one of the others to do so, and it's EL or worse for us.

Stig

Wol 12
Ars 10
MU 9
WU 7
Tot 6
Chel 6

Those are interesting stats. You always think we are rubbish and everyone else is doing better. But apparently it is not quite so.

Stig

Marcus and Jadon looked good.
Go and watch the MOTD analysis, they both get called out for being lazy - with Rashford's laziness costing us a goal and 2 points, but it could just as well have been Sancho.

copen1945

Go and watch the MOTD analysis, they both get called out for being lazy - with Rashford's laziness costing us a goal and 2 points, but it could just as well have been Sancho.
Those two were an improvement over Ronaldo and Cavani. They were much more dynamic and offered pace as a solution to the moribund and disjointed offensive play. Of course, they, like all other United players, lack the workrate. A little bit of silver lining over a disappointing match and a disappointing season.

Guapa

Rashford and Bruno not performing to their expected level and that's why we're struggling.
Bruno can turn it around,he's that good,but Rashford is vastly overrated and his attitude stinks,re his sulk when subbed.F*ck him off asap while he still has value,he's already peaked as a footballer.Cash in now.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 69% of 204 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw