PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 February 2022

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I feel numb to United results again this season at this stage as I guess many do.

I am currently sat in the 'acceptance' part of the 7 stages of grief.

Watching this team is like a Saw movie, you know a gory and bloody death is coming, you hope they escape but you know they are not the main character of the movie so they are definitely dead, you hope to god you are wrong and then yeah you are right, they are dead.
Disturbing as analogies go but I can't logic behind it.

Likey.

redmanx

I’m annoyed but not as fecked off as I should be as I expected it. We aren’t shit, we are just painfully average in most departments and being thick as pigshit seems to be contagious in our squad.

Atwell is fecking clueless along with most of the PL refs. The standard of officiating is in the gutter.
Wasnt Atwell the guy on VAR when we played Burnley and VAR disallowed us a couple of goals? The way he was throwing yellow cards at our players today while turning his back on the Southampton players fouls was mind boggling.

croadyman

Ronaldo needs to be dropped, but we haven't exactly got an abundance of options in that area. And I'm praying for the day a manager comes into this club and has the stones to drop Maguire.
The captaincy is giving him too much leeway

croadyman

A terrible week could get worse in Tuesday against another well organised team.

Champions league football next season has gone and that will have an effect on the players we bring in.
Yeah look elsewhere would be my advice to any of our transfer targets this summer

NZT-One

Think the draw is a deserved result. But boy do I wish that we could play the way the team in yellow did today. Look at how comfortable they are handling the ball in tight situations. Respect to Southhampton. Making us look like the away side in our own stadium.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
God help us against Liverpool and City away.

It's going to be another massacre!
The Liverpool game is just after the Atletico Madrid one too, meaning we've no doubt had a right old running off the pitch in that one first as prep.

croadyman

In reality we're a few players off which is tough to take given the investment.

A manager needs to be given time and be allowed to release/sell Ronaldo, Maguire and Shaw.

We can't have 3 or 4 luxury players who don't defend.

First teamers we need to keep are De Gea, Varane, Dalot, Telles, Pogba, McTominay, Fernandes, Sancho, Rashford and Elanga.

We simply can't start 3 or 4 players who aren't disciplined. Need more mobile hard workers in the team.

If Pogba goes we need Tchouameni. When Ronaldo and Cavani are let go we need a Haaland.

Martial
Lingard
Ronaldo
Cavani
Shaw
Maguire

All have to go ASAP.

Replace them with a striker, winger who can defend, CDM, CB and LB. Only then do we stand a chance of winning anything.
Sorry these yankee leeches won't allow us to spend on 5 players so same old shit situation

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Think the draw is a deserved result. But boy do I wish that we could play the way the team in yellow did today. Look at how comfortable they are handling the ball in tight situations. Respect to Southhampton. Making us look like the away side in our own stadium.
They weren't as good today as they were against Tottenham, but they're the classic example of a manager making a great system out of fairly average players.

You wonder what we could do with a good system with star players!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sorry these yankee leeches won't allow us to spend on 5 players so same old shit situation
They would if we didn't boot such high wad into the 3 players :lol:

I'm no Glazers fan but these sort of posts make me laugh.

Which club in world football buys these 5 players each window, all at 50-80m each?

Heinzesight

Wasnt Atwell the guy on VAR when we played Burnley and VAR disallowed us a couple of goals? The way he was throwing yellow cards at our players today while turning his back on the Southampton players fouls was mind boggling.
Yeah, that’s the prick. I genuinely don’t think he’s anti-United. He’s just terrible at his job.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah, that’s the prick. I genuinely don’t think he’s anti-United. He’s just terrible at his job.
He was also the VAR that allowed the Boro handball goal. I’m not even joking.

arthurka

Fergie would use far worse players to change things in games... You could bring on Telles early to change things down that left, bring on Lindelof to play out balls from the back instead of whatever Maguire was doing, bring on Elanga earlier, bring on Mejbri in the centre of the park, bring on Mata instead of fecking "I couldn't give a shit" Lingard.

Changing games doesn't just mean having to bring on attackers.... and yeah our squad isn't great, but I mean, we chose to let VdB and Martial go, so now use the feckin' players we have an actually do something, instead of watching the eleven on the pitch stagnate.

This "we don't have any players" excuse is just that... an excuse.
Yeah so he should have taken Harry off because Southampton had 0.71xG. Elanga should have been on earlier and not for Rashford, Ronaldo should have been off. But come on this is just something, Motionless Mata isn't an option anymore. Nothing really there to do much or to have any impact.

But let's be clear this team isn't even close to anything Fergie ever had, he had teams with spirit and confidence this team is lacking everything that makes teams good and that has little to do with Ralf. With 600m invested there is sadly not much quality here.

Moriarty

He was the ref at Stamford Bridge who refused to overturn his own decision not to award a penalty to us even after VAR told him to do so. If memory serves, Shaw blew the gaff on that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah so he should have taken Harry off because Southampton had 0.71xG. Elanga should have been on earlier and not for Rashford, Ronaldo should have been off. But come on this is just something, Motionless Mata isn't an option anymore. Nothing really there to do much or to have any impact.

But let's be clear this team isn't even close to anything Fergie ever had, he had teams with spirit and confidence this team is lacking everything that makes teams good and that has little to do with Ralf. With 600m invested there is sadly not much quality here.
Yes it's just something... but it IS something, it's actually trying to win a game then just hoping the XI on the pitch randomly sort it out. You say Mata isn't an option anymore... but he's on the bench, so he should be an option. Certainly ahead of bloody Lingard anyway. Hell he came on against Boro and actually made more of an impact then either Elanga or Fred, yet isn't in contention, despite the fact that he can still control and pass a ball (skills we often lack) even if he can't move all that much (but then neither can our bloody number 9)

Fergie had often had some bang average players (sometimes less then bang average) but he would enthuse them with confidence and belief and trust them to go change a game...and if not them he'd trust a random youngster to do it... because he appreciated that you very often need to change games to win games.

NZT-One

They weren't as good today as they were against Tottenham, but they're the classic example of a manager making a great system out of fairly average players.

You wonder what we could do with a good system with star players!
Yeah absolutely. Although, to be perfectly honest, I am really starting to get nervous. A) because I actually expected RR to get a little more in place by now. Not 2009 Barca or 2018 Liverpool but have a really great game once in a while... and B) because I am starting to think, that our supposed star players only live off their reputation. I mean, except for Bruno in 1,5 years ago, which one of our players should be considered a star player based on performances? Is there anyone?

(Just watched the game, wasn't able to watch when it was played. Still pretty hotheaded...)

croadyman

They would if we didn't boot such high wad into the 3 players :lol:

I'm no Glazers fan but these sort of posts make me laugh.

Which club in world football buys these 5 players each window, all at 50-80m each?
Properly run clubs don't need such a level of investment whereas because we haven't addressed previous problems we need so much more than others

Laurencio

How many new players do we actually need :lol: ?
Ideally five. Replace Maguirre and Shaw, a DM, a midfielder to replace Pogba when he leaves and a striker.

Of course it could all change drastically with a proper systems manager who changes the mentality of some of these players, but at this point that seems to be wishful thinking.

But I think realistically we might get two this summer, a DM and a striker - relying on Mejbri to take over for Pogba. A striker is a must given the Greenwood situation though - we might go for Darwin Núñez while everyone in the CL fights for Haaland?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ideally five. Replace Maguirre and Shaw, a DM, a midfielder to replace Pogba when he leaves and a striker.

Of course it could all change drastically with a proper systems manager who changes the mentality of some of these players, but at this point that seems to be wishful thinking.

But I think realistically we might get two this summer, a DM and a striker - relying on Mejbri to take over for Pogba. A striker is a must given the Greenwood situation though - we might go for Darwin Núñez while everyone in the CL fights for Haaland?
2 strikers no ? Since Cavani will leave and Ronaldo might too

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Rangnick was a terrible choice for caretaker manager.
But who could have guessed that Moscow Locomotiv level would be insufficient for EPL top 4 and Champions League?

croadyman

We will just never catch up with the top teams. We can’t improve quickly enough. By the time we sort the midfield and CF another part of the team will need attention.
Absolutely nailed it in a nutshell

Laurencio

2 strikers no ? Since Cavani will leave and Ronaldo might too
Good point. I'd love for us to go for Adeymi as the second option, young and with bags of potential. I don't realistically see us signing two strikers in one window though, we'll probably carry on with Martial as the second option.

AndySmith1990

Always painful to see oppo managers talk about our team's faults as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. Pep's analysis against a few months back was pretty brutal to hear too
However much we like to question them, these managers aren't fools. If we can see the problems with our team you can bet every manager in the league can, and in far greater detail.

croadyman

The reaction here and you’d think Ole was still managing the team.

When in reality we are a much better team and look coached. Problem is we cannot score. Which in itself is a huge problem but it’s better than where we have been.

If we’d had won the last 3 games 1-0 and not drew 1-1, it would be a lot different in here that’s for sure
Jeez get some bloody standards FFS

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Feel we’re gonna be very disappointed about this in Summer. We’re notorious for keeping shite on, as it means the Glazers don’t have to fork out for a complete reset when the new manager arrives, which we’ve needed since day 1 of Moyes really.

If we don’t get 2 new CM, our biggest weakness, along with what I’d say is 4 additional players (2 at the front and 2 at the back), expect the same next season. Have we ever signed 6 players/half a first team? I won’t hold my breath.
I completely agree.
Just like this season, next season shall also be a write-off.
We are ALWAYS a team which will produce results in a few years and unfortunately, fans believe that nonsense.
4th place is the aim, nothing more, nothing less and this team is just about capable of getting 4th place.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Yeah look elsewhere would be my advice to any of our transfer targets this summer
Depends on a manager we get. If Rangnick remains we are fecked. If Poch comes maybe we get Kane, but I doubt even that.

If Ten Haag comes we may buy some hungry lesser known names, and that may actually be what we need, but I dont believe they will bring him or allow him tranafers he would want

wolvored

He could have sent Maguire off for stomping on the Southamptons players leg

rooney2009

We actually played ok today
We just need to be able to drop Ronaldo
He is not doing anything right now to the detriment of the team
He has to drop or sub him if he is not playing well
Maguire and Rashford were poor again but they were not the problem today
It’s amazing how everyone can see the problem but the ronaldo fanboys are too scared to talk about it and would rather blame other players(fans and pundits alike)
Im still amazed we let Martial go without replacing him and are now stuck with 2 elderly strikes
Cavani was injured today so out of form Ronaldo had to play 90mins
Legends need to know when to retire and not destroy their legacies

OmarUnited4ever

which one of our players should be considered a star player based on performances? Is there anyone?
Aside from Ronaldo's heroics in UCL, and maybe Pogba's first 2/3 games where he registered 7 assists, no player in this squad this season had any star player like performance.

I'll also accept if you say neither Ronaldo nor Pogba had star player like performances this season.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It’s amazing how everyone can see the problem but the ronaldo fanboys are too scared to talk about it and would rather blame other players(fans and pundits alike)
Im still amazed we let Martial go without replacing him and are now stuck with 2 elderly strikes
Do legends walk alone?

NZT-One

Aside from Ronaldo's heroics in UCL, and maybe Pogba's first 2/3 games where he registered 7 assists, no player in this squad this season had any star player like performance.

I'll also accept if you say neither Ronaldo nor Pogba had star player like performances this season.
Yeah that is pretty precise. And that is a big part of our problems over the years. Even though we go for bigger names to buy at least a bit of a success guarantee, it never works. All purchases look worse for United than they looked before. Just emphasizes our need, and I mean essential to the bones need for plan which can work as an alignment tool for academy, recruiting and manager selection.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 69% of 204 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw