g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Stoke City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 January 2017

Tosicsleftpeg

We just need someone who has a knack for scoring, there are a few out there we just need to get one of them. On paper the team is full of goals miki and martial are both usually good In front of goal but it just seems to not be happening for them.

Mata is being singled out for being gash which is fair enough but usually he's got a good eye for goal.

Oneunited26

We just need someone who has a knack for scoring, there are a few out there we just need to get one of them. On paper the team is full of goals miki and martial are both usually good In front of goal but it just seems to not be happening for them.

Mata is being singled out for being gash which is fair enough but usually he's got a good eye for goal.
We need pace on the flanks if we going to hurt sides, to pick fellaini and mata a combination of slow and clumsiness where the former is has positional smart has trying to make a dog speak our language. The anchor man position much like the CB's, GK's and CF position cannot be used with average players, because has we see with players like bravo for city, if its not up to speed teams will struggle

Acole9

Outstanding
Very frustrating to watch, we should've won, another game where we've dropped points. We've drawn far too many games this season and it's going to be tough to finish in the top four now.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
You can divide the season into two. Before Christmas where Jose clearly did not know his best team, it took time to assert his style of play and we had various issues with new signings settling in. During this period we had something like 20 points from 14 games which is not good enough for top 4. After Christmas our form has been title-winning form. That bodes well for next season.
Oh man that is such bullshit

Mourinho has the same timeframe as any other manager to get his business in order over the course of a season. We are not the only team with new signings settling in and it is not an excuse for him to miss out on top 4. This season is not preparation for next year, he needs to deliver now and our form is not title winning for that he just has far too many draws that should be wins.

dcullivanio

Oh man that is such bullshit

Mourinho has the same timeframe as any other manager to get his business in order over the course of a season. We are not the only team with new signings settling in and it is not an excuse for him to miss out on top 4. This season is not preparation for next year, he needs to deliver now and our form is not title winning for that he just has far too many draws that should be wins.
Maybe we should just sack him and start again then.?..?

ti vu

Pochettino or Simeone

If we can't get either of them we go for Koeman and else we get Blanc
What if Poch and Simeone failed to get top 4 at their clubs?

Blanc is well known for not fancy intensely pressure job. Quite some rational thinking to give a guy like that one of the most pressure job in world football.

What has Koeman done to be qualified for United job? The guy couldn't win a league title outside Dutch league ffs, and is as old as Mourinho while also started coaching role probably around same time being part of LVG's backroom staffs back in the days. FSW is arguably a better manager than him.

Last edited:

LeftyBlaster

If he finishes outside the top 4 at the end of the season absolutley.
You're joking right? :houllier:

The first manager since Fergie who has instilled some form of resilience in the team and improved our football dramatically. Let's sack him despite progress shown and bring in someone else and have the players adapt to more new ideas and management after a single season.

legball

Some recurring problems.

1. Everything is too central, when you pick Ibra, Mata & Mkhitaryan, it will happen.
2. Our build up play can be very slow at times, Pogba holds on to the ball too often.
3. The team selection was poor, why did Fellaini start? It's a very tall team already.
4. There's still a mental block in the team, we lack that extra push to get things done when it matters most.
5. Finishing and decision making poor as always.

Martial was not injured, so, we could have played 4231 with him on the left, Mata centrally & Mhki on the right, but Jose went for Fellaini and it's very clear how that affected our fluency. Our attacking pattern is still very basic (notice how almost everything comes from the right, with Valencia at the heart of it), it's not very intricate, not enough incision, too many times the passing isn't quick enough, and it's not only against Stoke, it's been like this for a while, Jose has to do a lot of work there & start picking Martial, a player who can makes things happen.

Verbalkint

Does anyone know why Carrick wasn't picked? More concerned with an injury situation than anything else.

LR7

Still really frustrated about this result, given the gains we could have made on our top 4 rivals. Wasn't really able to enjoy the rest of the weekend's football.
I was super annoyed when I saw the line-up, but in hindsight it didn't stop us from creating a plethora of chances that we should have put away - so I don't blame the line-up for us not coming away with the three points. Our profligacy is hugely concerning though. I don't ever remember seeing such a wasteful United side, in front of goal. We seem to need 10 clear shots to score 1. We can't blame the manager for that. Mourinho has them creating plenty of chances and the players aren't putting them away.
I don't know what managers see in Fellaini - the result wasn't his fault - but he adds little and takes away a lot. I'd rather we had kept Schneiderlin.

Looking at the positives though, we are fairly solid. I don't remember the last time we conceded more than one. The wastefulness can't last forever though so I'm quite optimistic.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
In the grand scheme of things, a hard fought point away at Stoke is far from the end of the world. However in the context of many more needlessly dropped points recently, it was a game we needed to win.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We need pace on the flanks if we going to hurt sides, to pick fellaini and mata a combination of slow and clumsiness where the former is has positional smart has trying to make a dog speak our language. The anchor man position much like the CB's, GK's and CF position cannot be used with average players, because has we see with players like bravo for city, if its not up to speed teams will struggle
And yet, when we pick pace and play shite, we all say we need a bit more guile and cleverness in there.

Basically, we just need our players to play well and actually finish their chances. If Mata has a good game, and doesnt' decide to balloon over from 1 yard out, we win the game. If Mkhitaryan has a better game, we win the game.

Jinn

A draw away from home is hardly something to fret over.
It's the draws at OT we should be worrying about. Those results are coming back to haunt us.

Reiver

Still really frustrated about this result, given the gains we could have made on our top 4 rivals. Wasn't really able to enjoy the rest of the weekend's football.
I was super annoyed when I saw the line-up, but in hindsight it didn't stop us from creating a plethora of chances that we should have put away - so I don't blame the line-up for us not coming away with the three points. Our profligacy is hugely concerning though. I don't ever remember seeing such a wasteful United side, in front of goal. We seem to need 10 clear shots to score 1. We can't blame the manager for that. Mourinho has them creating plenty of chances and the players aren't putting them away.
I don't know what managers see in Fellaini - the result wasn't his fault - but he adds little and takes away a lot. I'd rather we had kept Schneiderlin

Looking at the positives though, we are fairly solid. I don't remember the last time we conceded more than one. The wastefulness can't last forever though so I'm quite optimistic.
I generally agree with you but when a team has had such a consistent problem, as we have had this season, then it must be up to the manager to try and sort it. Either through coaching, change of tactics or change of personnel.

Anyway, disappointing as the result was I'm still very hopeful of a top four finish.

Oneunited26

And yet, when we pick pace and play shite, we all say we need a bit more guile and cleverness in there.

Basically, we just need our players to play well and actually finish their chances. If Mata has a good game, and doesnt' decide to balloon over from 1 yard out, we win the game. If Mkhitaryan has a better game, we win the game.
did we? mata on the right is always going to be a problem in these kind of games, and it never helps dropping carrick for fellaini, yes that's true, but like I say when playing a fellaini instead of carrick is always giving teams a chance

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We bottled it once more. Also we didn't have the right attitude, we lacked fighting spirit and grit. We were shit, static and as usual unable to take our chances
We did not bottle anything.
After Mata scored the OG, we attacked them hard and absolutely dominated them. We created many chances, but could not finish.
Rooney then took matters into his own hands and got a us a point.

Bottling it would be going to their ground, doing nothing, then conceding a goal and continue to do nothing.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We did not bottle anything.
After Mata scored the OG, we attacked them hard and absolutely dominated them. We created many chances, but could not finish.
Rooney then took matters into his own hands and got a us a point.

Bottling it would be going to their ground, doing nothing, then conceding a goal and continue to do nothing.
Yes we did bottle it. We were not up for it and didn't win the game that was so important. And if you just fail to convert your chances for half a season, it has nothing to do with bad luck anymore

Suedesi

Mourinho fecked it up. Why was Martial omitted from the team? And why was Mata, the least physical of our players selected?

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Stoke 0:2 Man Utd
  • 24% Stoke 1:2 Man Utd