PL D FA Premier League

Stoke City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 September 2017

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Stoke played well. We weren't great. Shit happens. Especially after an inter-lull. I've no major worries after that performance. Just a bit gutted Lukaku missed that chance. If he'd scored the winner the whole narrative would be completely different. Title-winning mentality against our bogey team. Blah blah blah. Ho hum. Fine margins.

Deleted member 101472

we are back to playing slow shit football...

We need to railroad teams. They exposed our pushed on fullbacks all day.

But its good to get a bit of a knock, hopefully this will remind them we are far from the finished article yet
and they will need to work a lot harder than this and more clever with and without the ball.

In fact feck them, we demand and deserve better than this
Wondering if you even bothered to watch the game if you think both our fullbacks were pushed on all day.

Lentwood

It was OK, sluggish in parts, sloppy in parts but Stoke are a decent side and we know they will take points off top sides.

Lukaku missed that sitter at 2-2 and they scored from the two chances they created - both were very avoidable

I think every single player was slightly below par and this just led to us being a little off it

Martial is just a better player than Rashford. I don't think its even close.

PTSTSL

Any sort of midweek comment from the manager regarding Phil Jones results in Saturday 'shit the bed' type performance from him, it seems like every time. Bailly was as bad and was ball watching for the first goal, very poor at this level.

We should have won and it is a tough place to play but not too bad for the first game back from the int break.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Stoke played well. We weren't great. Shit happens. Especially after an inter-lull. I've no major worries after that performance. Just a bit gutted Lukaku missed that chance. If he'd scored the winner the whole narrative would be completely different. Title-winning mentality against our bogey team. Blah blah blah. Ho hum. Fine margins.
What this bloke said.

Top of the league with 34 games left. Long way to go.

MrSingh2002

Fullbacks can't attack, Herrera wasn't the world beater the Cafe makes him out to be and he added nothing.

Rashford and Lukaku missed chances they should score.

Probably would have been better if we'd named the same lineup as the last game. With Blind and Martial on the left and Mata in a 4231. Brave decision to change it and we lost. This ones on Jose.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Imagine the reaction from some of these posters when we actually lose.
Think I might stay out that day. The problem is that some went overboard when we won the first three games so easily. There was always a chance this game would be the hardest as Stoke always seem to have our number and have for a number of years. We just have to make sure we get a good result on Tuesday and then wallop Everton so it doesn't develop into something else.

Deleted member 101472

2-2 away against a team that contains;

England's number 1 keeper

A Chelsea player and France international

2 former united players (1 captained us a few times)

1 former inter player and his countries best player

1 former Real Madrid player

And the rest full internationals. Stoke are a team of players who are just in the level below what it takes to play for a champions league aspiring club. Those players gel together and they'll continue to take points off teams.

Good result for us in the grand scheme of things after a tough international breaks. I'm satisfied there were no apparent injuries and now we can enjoy our CL game.

Ace of Spades

I think I can see why we got Lindelof at CB, every other choice at CB sucks with the ball at their feet. Always take forever to play a simple pass forward, annoyed me to know end. We needed a faster tempo and these daft idiots kept slowing it down to snail's pace.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Think I might stay out that day. The problem is that some went overboard when we won the first three games so easily. There was always a chance this game would be the hardest as Stoke always seem to have our number and have for a number of years. We just have to make sure we get a good result on Tuesday and then wallop Everton so it doesn't develop into something else.
This.

Deleted member 101472

Fullbacks can't attack, Herrera wasn't the world beater the Cafe makes him out to be and he added nothing.

Rashford and Lukaku missed chances they should score.

Probably would have been better if we'd named the same lineup as the last game. With Blind and Martial on the left and Mata in a 4231. Brave decision to change it and we lost. This ones on Jose.
Honesty, we drew

Deleted member 101472

Dunno about that but we need another dimension to our attack, only Lukaku cannot win United titles.
Not sure what you mean but we have the 4 possible dimensions of attack. We play one striker up top and 3 attacking midfielders who all interchange between left right and centre.

NJM78

I'm really gutted we didn't win today as I thought we would but even if we did I'd be still thinking this team will come up short again this season. I'm sticking with my 4th place finish which I predicted before season started as we really miss quality delivery from the flanks or from set pieces and we can still become slow and predictable in our play. Our full backs are hugely disappointing for me also and I believe this is our weakest area of the squad which needed addressing this summer. However I do think we are not that far away from being a very good title challenging team again, maybe one or two more quality additions. As for today we didn't deserve to win and this was our worst performance so far but we didn't lose so on to Everton next, with how shit they have been we really need to win that game otherwise this place will be fun!

Klopp_De_Klown

Other teams have the right to play well and earn points too you know. Why do we never give other teams credit
Because its too easy to say

• Stoke played well
  • Stoke is always a tough away game
  • We had the international break hangover
  • 2 errors cost us 2 goals today
All of which are true, no arguements. But too often we were out fought today in them little 1 on 1 battles and that says they were more up for it. And there is no excuses for that. Yes we dominated for long periods but with no end product. And to that end it was that slow stuff from last year and with an almost identical result. Add to that a worldy save form DDG and it could of been much worse.

As i already said we laud them when we win and rightly so but this is the sharp end of the wedge. You dont win the questions need to be asked and improvements found so we can avoid this sort of thing. As for the hangover, spurs had a tough away fixtrue too and got the 3 points, the bar was set earlier today. We needed to get our 3 points too.

We were not at it today(100%) and do you think SAF would have stood for that? Would he feck. He'd demand a reaction and so should we, its the culture he laid down. Its that standard what we are trying to get back to.

Deleted member 101472

Because its too easy to say

• Stoke played well
  • Stoke is always a tough away game
  • We had the international break hangover
  • 2 errors cost us 2 goals today
All of which are true, no arguements. But too often we were out fought today in them little 1 on 1 battles and that says they were more up for it. And there is no excuses for that. Yes we dominated for long periods but with no end product. And to that end it was that slow stuff from last year and with an almost identical result. Add to that a worldy save form DDG and it could of been much worse.

As i already said we laud them when we win and rightly so but this is the sharp end of the wedge. You dont win the questions need to be asked and improvements found so we can avoid this sort of thing. As for the hangover, spurs had a tough away fixtrue too and got the 3 points, the bar was set earlier today. We needed to get our 3 points too.

We were not at it today(100%) and do you think SAF would have stood for that? Would he feck. He'd demand a reaction and so should we, its the culture he laid down. Its that standard what we are trying to get back to.
I'm convinced youre non united fan and a wum

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Frustrating game where we didn't create enough. Too many flat sideways passes or hopeful long balls down the channels. Stoke's attackers did really well and made a mockery of our defensive record this season.

Jones made costly mistakes for both goals. Although I think Valencia was the only defender not at fault for their first.
Matic had his worst game for us so far. Lukaku scored but should have had a second from a beautiful cross from Martial.

And then towards the end Butland seemed on a one-man mission to eat up as much time as possible. Not that it mattered too much, because we could have played another 45 minutes and Stoke were just as likely to win as we were.

Overall, we just didn't have enough control or creativity on or off the ball.
Thanks mate! Sounds frustrating...

Marcky411

Fellaini is injured mate, get a grip.

If you don't even know that one has to wonder if you even watch football let alone this match
Watch football, watched the match (very poor) and saw no thrust at the end. Knew Fellaini was injured it was more the point of a plan B as Fellaini gets used as a plan B, we had no plan B and no final push. That was the point I was trying to get across but you missed it, pity.

The Bloody-Nine

Watch football, watched the match (very poor) and saw no thrust at the end. Knew Fellaini was injured it was more the point of a plan B as Fellaini gets used as a plan B, we had no plan B and no final push. That was the point I was trying to get across but you missed it, pity.
Except that you said:

and where was Fellaini in the last 10 min for the final push from United in the closing stages of the game?
He was injured, not in the squad, and you had no idea.

Mike09

He had an awkward fall and then lapse of concentration for the goal , but elas he was decent.
I think the first minute of Stoke's chance was also his fault for losing his man easily. So they weren't just two bad moments, he had a bad game today. Being out of position so many times, all over the place when we are under attack and lack concentration to anticipate.

ManUtd1999

Mourinho said after the match: "This was a game for Fellaini and then on the set-pieces we would be more dominant than we were, we didn't have much time after the 2-1 to kill the game because if we have a little bit more minutes with the result at 2-1 I think they have more pace for us and we kill the game. And then they come back for that compact block and they defended with everything they have, so credit to them."

My reading of this, which could be wrong, is that he was thinking about Fellaini as a starter today. But his plans changed due to the injury. He could do nothing with that.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/man-utd-news-marouane-fellaini-13597314

van Nistelrooy

A draw was a fair result. We were sloppy all over the field, but ultimately, Bailly and Jones cost us with their calamitous defending.

We always knew it would be a difficult game in a fixture we usually struggle in, so a point is not a bad result at all. It is just frustrating to be leading twice and surrender it with such poor defensive errors.

el3mel

A draw was a fair result. We were sloppy all over the field, but ultimately, Bailly and Jones cost us with their calamitous defending.

We always knew it would be a difficult game in a fixture we usually struggle in, so a point is not a bad result at all. It is just frustrating to be leading twice and surrender it with such poor defensive errors.
Once.

Klopp_De_Klown

Yea agree. Its all about the next game.

I'm convinced youre non united fan and a wum
Not really bothered what you think.

But for the record seeing as you put it out there.

We play sloppily bad and drop 2 points and because I demand improvement and a better performance, its me who is the non-United fan? Really?

You sir have a big wooden spoon and are moving it in a circular motion.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 548 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Stoke 0:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Stoke 1:2 Man Utd