PL D FA Premier League

Sunderland 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 August 2014

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I think we could've played 10 hours and we still wouldn't have scored.

Just no tempo, movement and confidence at all in our team at all.

Our passing and pressing needs a lot and I mean I lot of work.

Leg-End

This no quick fix here, I think people need to start facing that reality.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Our three defenders looked in the second half and that's the only positive out of the whole match. Can't believe Danny is allowed to leave, looked our best attacker.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
infuriating how many times we had the ball on the edge of their box and no one risked either a shot or a forward pass.
Utter pony today, but then we're trying a new system, with loads of players out.

By next weekend, hopefully we'll have some of the injured mob back, Rojo available, and possibly new signings.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Unless players come back from injury, or we sign a CM, then Fketcher and Cleverley will still be our only CMs. So it won't be much better next week.
Horrible to drop points against poor teams. Sunderland are quite poor.

If we do sign ADM, and have him next week, then playing Rooney in central midfield needs to considered.
Need to get the win at Burney, then after the international break should have a lot of the injured players back. Combined with new signings, prospects will hopefully be transformed.

Blackett is the rare positive yet again.

Last edited:

El Zoido

The idea of us putting in a great performance and picking up an easy win seems like a fantasy.

And I know I shouldn't hate on our own players but I will honestly throw a celebratory party when Ashley Young leaves the club.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Too predictable, flat in midfield, lack of flair and pace - no vision, no service for our strikers. I'm not sure a few class signings will help, we need a general change of attitude from the players, especially going forward.

Sunderland gonna Sunderland.

They defended well and flooded their box at times, made it awkward for us. It's situations like this that the United of old would have worked to unlock, rather than trying the same flat approach time and again.

What we wouldn't give for a 25 year old Paul Scholes right now.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
For a captain, Rooney's performance was disgraceful.

Mata, Jones and Blackett were decent.

But to put some perspective into it, no Shaw, Herrera, Rafael, Carrick, Rojo and only a not fully fit RVP to pick from.

Raw

Absolutely rubbish. Di Maria wouldn't solve this problem.

It's clear now that the Swansea game wasn't a blip, we genuinely have some terrible players.

With a midfield of Cleverley and Fletcher, the best we could have hoped for was a draw.

Danny Boi

That performance was an absolute disgrace.Jones is the only player who can hold is head high after that game.We have so many problems I can't even begin to suggest a solution.

Richard Cranium

Sunderland were shocking defensively but we were just spineless. The amount of times our best attacking players had two yards of space on the edge of their box and didn't even fancy a shot. No confidence in this team.

Sunderland fans are proper cnuts though. It seems they cheered more for a Cleverley shot off target than they did for their team scoring. Bizarre 'supporters'.

pseudo_canadian

Zero confidence in the passing, movement, and everything else.

Devoid of creativity in the final third and for the most part, everyone looks so nervous.

Will have to buckle in for a rough ride because this isn't getting better anytime soon.

acnumber9

Playing a formation designed to get the best from your best players is a bit useless when it doesn't get close to their best and renders the rest of the team useless.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The only positive is that we did not loose. Still not convinced with Rooney and Van Persie upfront together. They did not look in sync with each other. We play with Rooney and Welbeck/Januzaj and we win. On another point, I will say it again...our midfield is the worst in the league and they will struggle to get into some championship side.

Mister_Stubbs

Pathetic performance, void of any urgency and real quality despite having all our best attackers on the pitch.

I really can't get in to this formation either, I know it allows both RVP and Rooney to play but it doesn't look like it's going to work in this league given how we've played against two, let's be honest not quality sides.

Massive week coming up, we still need more than 2/3 players in my opinion.

Aporkalypse

Gutless performance. The lack of a competent midfield puts additional pressure on a weakened defence.

DevilRed

Players just seem scared to make a forward pass. Nobody wants to take responsibility for potentially losing the ball so its sideways sideways sideways.

I think we really need the new signings to bed in quickly and give us an extra boost. There is absolutely no precision in attack. We just can't afford to have Young and Cleverley etc. in the team if we want to get results.

I really hope we can go back to a proper 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 because the backline is just a shambles. Teams pretty much sense our vulnerability and eat us alive.

saivet

We looked like we didn't even want to get a winner.

I didn't think Sunderland even played that well. They created feck all. Shocking, shocking game of football.

Ash_G

If our players could pass the ball as well as they pass the buck we might get somewhere.

Personally I think the system doesn't suit the players who are fit and available. In attack its too reliant on the passing being quality and in defence we don't have the players for it in terms of wing backs and experience. Blackett to be fair continues to impress and Jones looks better too.

I get that we want to find a way to fit all 3 of RVP/Rooney and Mata in but I just don't think there's enough behind them to make it work, certainly not now which is why I don' think we should be playing this way until more players are fit.

Again I thought LVG made an odd sub. Get Januzaj on sure but not in cm where he was too far away to use his best assets. Don't get why Young stayed on, could easily have gone 4411 again.

the hea

I don't think there is any other team in the PL were Cleverley would get to play 90 minutes, Championship level player at best. Young and Valencia are pointless they can't get past a defender they can't get a cross in and they can't pass.

Phil

Sack/sell/loan Cleverley, Young and Valencia.

Robbie Boy

I would say maybe 5 to 6 players out there today are absolutely nowhere near being United quality and wouldn't get near any other big club.

Agent Red

Think Neville made a good point in his commentary when he said everyone is happy to pass the responsibility somewhere else. All of our crosses and passes are so aimless. We start a good counter run and then someone slows it down so all the others can catch up, allowing all the opposition's players to catch up in the meantime as well. It seems the players are all scared of putting their neck on the line so the only goals we end up scoring are set pieces or a scramble in the box, because anyone could get on the end of it then rather than someone making their own runs and shots and taking the risk of it possibly going wrong. It's like a terrible accidental version of of tika taka.

Deleted member 78215

Unless players come back from injury, or we sign a CM, then Fketcher and Cleverley will still be our only CMs. So it won't be much better next week.
Horrible to drop points against poor teams. Sunderland are quite poor.

If we do sign ADM, and have him next week, then playing Rooney in central midfield needs to considered.

Blackett is the rare positive yet again.
No, it doesn't. He's awful there. Like Cleverley awful. His entire MO, when in midfield, is just to spike it out to Valencia. Which is his thing when he's playing as a striker, but when he's in midfield he gets the ball more often, and it becomes even more infuriating.

Smores

Omnishamble!!! Its actually painful how bad we are, LvG needs to ditch the formation if he can't even get us to look like a top half team.

Dylan94

F*ck me that was so bad and so painful to watch it's unbelievable. Every other team in the league is more organised and plays better football than we currently do. We need to bid double the asking price of all the players we need to buy this week. That's how bad things are right now.

Moonred

Good game from Mata, Jones and Welbeck when he came one was our best player on the pitch. The team as a whole looks ridiculously unbalanced and the midfield is just gash. Cleverley and Young are terrible footballers, Every pass of Cleverley is a no look pass as he completely lacks any kind of vision whatsoever. We couldn't even threaten a opposition like Sunderland.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 459 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sunderland win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Sunderland 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Sunderland 1:3 Man Utd