Manchester United 2:0 Sunderland

Post-match discussion

Sat, 28 February 2015

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
United up into third...for now... :nervous:

Empire

Good performance, it wasn't going to be smooth sailing as the lack of team cohesion means the team will need a few matches in this shape and with these players to develop a better understanding.

Typical philosophy, be patient for the first hour, dominate the game, try to get a goal but if not make sure we're level, tire the opposition out and then come the hour mark start moving the ball around at a higher tempo and punish the inevitable errors that a tired Sunderland would make.

The only criticism is that I think we could have done more to get a 3rd goal, that goal difference point could be very important come the end of the season.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Great to see us finally play with some width. Rooney has to stay up front. Januzaj was very good.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
fecking jubilant. Great performance if you ask me. Manger made the right sub at half time and won us the game.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Awful first half, decent second one when we were man up. Thank feck for this win as SOTON dropped points, Liverpool might drop them tomorrow as well and fingers crossed for their Bluenose friends from Liverpool to stop Arsenal as well.

Kazi

Would like to see Adnan and Young start as wingers in our next match - we were at our best with them two running down the wings - needed more support from our full-backs though. Rooney up front on his own with Di Maria in behind.

Raw

We dominated the whole game but it took a red card to actually start creating chances.

Januzaj and Young were fantastic.

adamwest

Januzaj changed the game. Very good second half, all things considered.

Bojan11

Job done. Januzaj, Young and Smalling our best players.

Crashoutcassius

Similar performance to most of our home matches vs poor opposition, we were fine but not inspiring and we laboured too much to get the first goal. Onl thing that separated us from a 0-0 draw today was one brilliant bit from falcao, one of the best moments we've seen from him.

Januzaj looking a bit more confident is nice

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I'll have that, slow out the blocks but we grew into the game. Brave decision to take off Di Maria at HT and it was a correct decision. Good day at the office.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Felt it was a far better approach, the intent to play the right way was there, after the last few games, that's all I can ask for.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
That was the exact same as every other game this season. Boss possession, create nothing, make it nervy at times with our defenders. But I'm thankful for a deserved win.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Job done. Individually too many poor performances still. Ignoring the Rooney headlines tomorrow. He was up there as one of the worst on the pitch and definitely below average. Fortune favoured him though and he scored a penalty and a rebound header from 5 yards.

If anyone doubted it, today Chris Smalling cemented himself as our best centre back mind.

It's goals that matter though so I'd take 11 players playing terribly and 3 points. Onto the next one.

Kag

Three points, job done. Plenty to improve on but I thought the team was a lot more balanced today. We always play best with some semblance of width.

The striking problem still exists, however.

the hea

We actually looked like a team in the second half. Very happy with that performance and hopefully this means we continue with wingers from here on.

Hed Zitin

The ref :houllier:.

Amazing what some width can bring. Put Shaw with Young and it's even better. Januzaj played his typical quality game against them.

Smalling, Rooney and Herrera played well.

Wasn't amazing overall, but it'll do compared some of the dross we've seen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good subs, good tempo, the right kind of control on the game. Rooney coming into form upfront will be vital.

Raw

Full time in the Southampton game, 4 points ahead of them now.

Now do us a favour City and Everton, could really be a fantastic weekend.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Performance wasn't amazing but it was still a well deserved win. Wore them down, which I guess is the whole point of our possession game.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Should've scored one in the first half to open it up a bit.

Rooney will never come out of a game having done so little to get two goals. Wasn't bad, but really didn't help us much before the red.

The Januzaj sub was bang on. But the timing of the Fellaini and Mata introductions was...weird, and in my opinion the wrong way around in a game against Sunderland.

Still managed to gift Sunderland breaks despite them not coming to attack. Smalling looked good, but we were under absolutely no pressure. Give me that performance against a team who try to score please.

Take way too long to attempt to open teams up once we're in the final third. Obviously became easier once they were a man down.

Di Maria :(

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We grew with confidence a lot as the game went on... Di Maria and Falcao were poor, the rest were good IMO. Herrera, Rooney, Valencia, Young our best players probably.

Notable difference in our ability to create chances though when we use width. Think we had around 30 shots in the game. Vital we beat Newcastle now and go on a run.

Dion

Telling that we scored from the first time Falcao or Rooney actually did something in the box with the ball and forced an error. Wasn't a wonder-cross, wasn't put on a plate, Falcao just actually did something that wasn't **** for once. More of that and less of the ball bouncing off them making it look like we're afraid of the box.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Had my doubts about Evans pre-match, but he played really, really well. Only outdone by Smalling who looked great on the ball.

Honestly, only thing to complain about is Di Maria's fairly poor first half. Everyone else was very good.

Mainoldo

What was our possession stats? The more I watch us the more continental we seem... We have to be the best team in the league at ball possession same we have no attacking cohesion.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Are people happier now? A nice comfortable performance playing decent stuff, I'll take it for now.

Can't really complain about anyone other than Falcao and Di Maria. Young had a great game, Smalling too and Rooney scoring. I just hope we stick with the way we played today and try to create some rhythm. Hopefully then, in time, we'll start to see us really bossing teams.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
3 points. Improved performance and LvG finally showed his famous big balls by pulling off a big name. Adnan, Smalling, Young and Herrera were good.

Rooney improved.

Good day out.

Super Nani

Massive three points, great to see Januzaj come on and put in a good display. Di Maria needs to rediscover his form asap cos the difference when Januzaj came on was massive and he's not the player with the British record transfer fee who needs to start justifying it.

Man of the Match

Wayne Rooney image Wayne Rooney 26% of 715 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sunderland win
  • Draw