g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 January 2019

crossy1686

career ending
They also stopped giving the ball away so cheaply (which led to the goal), and had more impetus on pinning us back with better attacking. They obviously needed that pep talk hence the result.

How do you do that during the half? Message on a piece of paper?
As I said, they have surely worked on more than one plan and one formation during the lead up to the game. Suggesting that they needed the half time break to change to something they've been working on doesn't make sense. If you have a plan and it's not working, you don't continue with the same plan because we have to stick to the plan, it's suicide.

If they did only work on one plan then I'd be very concerned.

Anyway, we'll see how great they are without Kane.

Ekeke

As I said, they have surely worked on more than one plan and one formation during the lead up to the game. Suggesting that they needed the half time break to change to something they've been working on doesn't make sense. If you have a plan and it's not working, you don't continue with the same plan because we have to stick to the plan, it's suicide.

If they did only work on one plan then I'd be very concerned.

Anyway, we'll see how great they are without Kane.
They didnt know we were going to use Martial and Rashford as split strikers with Lingard at the head of a diamond (on paper) and play long balls in behind the defense for them to chase. Thats a new direct approach for us and different way of us using Rashford and Martial and clearly their CBs couldnt cope with it.

Ibrahimorich

Agree that the Spurs bench is light, which ultimately stops them from competing with Liverpool and City. However, I'd say we were in control for about an hour, not just 45 minutes and Spurs had to grow into a home game at some point. We looked knackered in the last half an hour which I think had the biggest impact on Spurs having more control in the game and us looking out of it.
I meant we (United) have nothing on the bench. Who were we going to bring on to give us control back? Fred? Sanchez would've been useful for his workrate but we had nobody else you can trust in a big game to bring on

OldPop

Some pessimists, or those who have made little for hasty conclusions and find it difficult to change, seem to think we must apologize when we have the luck on our side, or because we have the world's best goalkeeper who saves us sometimes.

I don't think we need to do that, we should just enjoy it and instead support all players and coaches who have already shown that together they can perform more than any of us, if we are completely honest, dared to believe just a month ago .

rpg

They didnt know we were going to use Martial and Rashford as split strikers with Lingard at the head of a diamond (on paper) and play long balls in behind the defense for them to chase. Thats a new direct approach for us and different way of us using Rashford and Martial and clearly their CBs couldnt cope with it.
I did remember France did the same with Pogba and Mbappe. Pogba and a fast striker will do against a high defence line. Mourinho didnt realise this.

Ynnad

He dropped into DCM instead of ACM at half time, that saw him getting more time on the ball and being able to pick his passes better. My concern with Pochettino is that the change was only made at half time when they had time to consolidate and discuss as a team what wasn't working. Dare I say it, Mourinho would have seen that and made that change about 25 minutes in and turned the game on it's head, with a substitution if needed also.
Now go wash your mouth! :D

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He said so himself that it was the best performance he had seen from a Spurs side in 4 and a half years of being there. They did look great at times.
Wow. He said that?
If so, then we beat a Spurs side, at their very best. It makes the victory, even more sweet.

Rolaholic

Yea I can't get hung up on too many negatives from the game when Poch himself claimed that the 2nd half was the best he's seen his side play under him and we still managed to secure the 3 points on the road...

6 wins on the bounce is literally the best possible scenario we could've dreamed up a month ago when the toxic one was let go,long may our rejuvenation under Ole continue

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yea I can't get hung up on too many negatives from the game when Poch himself claimed that the 2nd half was the best he's seen his side play under him and we still managed to secure the 3 points on the road...

6 wins on the bounce is literally the best possible scenario we could've dreamed up a month ago when the toxic one was let go,long may our rejuvenation under Ole continue
6 straigth win is something we never expected. I think most of us where just happy to see a bit of an improvement, some happy faces and that's it. It has been so much better and the game against Spurs (especially first half) showed how far Ole has come already. It is still a long way to go but so far, so good

StrettyEnder07

Buzzing, brilliant result, thought first half Ole got it tactically superb, they were lost and we should and maybe could have gone in two up. First 10/15 minutes of the second half we were looking good, Pogba had 2/3 chances to put the game to bed and then we were hanging on. To their credit Spurs were superb for that last 30 minutes, brilliant but I loved the desire and will to throw bodies on the line, some of the blocks, challenges, last ditch interceptions were brilliant.

I will be the first to admit I did not think Lindelof was good enough, how he has proved me wrong, the bloke is an absolute Trojan, he was everywhere and that tackle when chasing one of their attackers was brilliant.

6 out of 6, victory against Spurs away, what more could you want. Any negative comments, take your head for a wobble UTFR

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I honestly thought we looked nervy at the back. Tottenham always seemed to have a man free on the edge of our area. At the start of the second half it looked like 10 energetic collies herding 10 red sheep inside the white lines of our own box.

Was an exciting game of football and it's been a while since I've felt my heart race and my nerves rise like that though. Loved it! Lindleof and Ander quickly becoming my favourite players.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I honestly thought we looked nervy at the back. Tottenham always seemed to have a man free on the edge of our area. At the start of the second half it looked like 10 energetic collies herding 10 red sheep inside the white lines of our own box.

Was an exciting game of football and it's been a while since I've felt my heart race and my nerves rise like that though. Loved it! Lindleof and Ander quickly becoming my favourite players.
However, the sheep had a mind of their own and decided not to follow the script....there's always one that does what it wants( De Gea)

GJNJ

Spurs are 3rd in the table and at home so they are obviously going to push hard in the last 3rd of the game.

It's a game of taking chances and Spurs' total XG was only 1.8 dispite all the shots, roughly the same as what Huddersfield got when we played them.

We should be delighted, we could have taken one of our earlier chances to close the game out or with that failing we should maybe have kept the ball better or broke the flow of the game in another way in the last 3rd of the game to not invite so much pressure, but these things take time, it only been a month still plenty of room for improvement which is exciting.

chicha14

I really enjoyed how Ole , after the game , kept mentioning how we are 7 points behind spurs now, he wants that top 3 finish!

Feels good to be enjoying football again, onward and upward!

Zlatattack

I really enjoyed how Ole , after the game , kept mentioning how we are 7 points behind spurs now, he wants that top 3 finish!

Feels good to be enjoying football again, onward and upward!
Finally the ambition is back. It sounds daft because 3rd place isn't ambitious at all really - the only ambition this club should have is 1st place, but to think less than a month ago, we were talking about whether it would we better if we didn't qualify for the Europa or not.

Jonno

I think Shaw looked fairly limited and exposed, to be fair Martial not tracking back didn't help him, they tried to address it by switching Rashford out there.

Jones is incredibly limited as a defender, Young at times was very poor with his positioning. Lindelof looks absolutely solid.

When you think how limited we are in defence I think it shows how great of a result that was to beat Spurs. We tore them apart in the 1st half and hung on for dear life in the 2nd.

Give Ole a couple of world class defenders and watch him fly.

Mr PG

I have seen so much exaggeration especially from Spurs who are loath to admit defeat. Watched the game again and we had their number for 75-80 minutes when Pogba missed a few chances Vs Loris. Spurs basically dominated the last 15 minutes when our fatigue kicked in.

We need upgrade on both fullback positions as well as CB.

Danillaco

Amazing performance! Especially in the first half, we were composed and very agressive!

After in the De Gea half, we lacked hard, but had the best GK in the world.

Somethings stand out:

*Jones is horrible. Awful. Lost Kane at all times, with a propor CB we would have cut that shit in half.

*Pogba let Erikssen run the game on the second half, he should've sticked together and press him a bit, but he's such a brilliant attacking footballer, so it's less problematic. He should've scored at a least once more, that Martial pass was amazing.

Rashford is lethal, and Lingard work on the pitch is underrated. He was immense on the first half.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
@SquishyMcSquish I told you we'll win this game. We're unstoppable under Ole, fighting spirit is back and I back us to beat anyone till end of season.

Yesterday, if Tottenham had equalised, we'd have been all over them chasing for 2nd goal.
Imagine acting like you're the messiah because we finished poorly and De Gea had a 10/10 game.

I said there was a chance you could win, but that I didn't think it was likely. The fact that you required a keeper having the best game of his season to keep the 3 points shows I was right about that, this could happen to anybody. Unstoppable under Ole? You got played with in the second half, we carved out key chance after key chance but couldn't put them away. That's on us, the finishing was erratic.

The rest is just speculation. It's far more likely that if we get the equaliser the momentum shifts even more in our favour and we get a second. Just enjoy your win without the hyperbole and gloating, there was no unstoppable team playing yesterday, just one side who could not get the ball in the back of the net.

United played well first half, got their goal and then fair play you have a quality keeper and took advantage of our failings in front of goal.

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly, is there only me that is can't see where we're going to drop points next? Barring Liverpool, City and PSG away from home, we could win every game. Surely teams are going to start raising their game again when they realise our renaissance is happening?

crossy1686

career ending

Under Mourinho, I was convinced we needed about 6 new signings, now I feel like we only need a CB, a RB and competition for LB, excluding any sales that is. We could end up being a very strong side next year. Title anyone?

Rajma

He said so himself that it was the best performance he had seen from a Spurs side in 4 and a half years of being there. They did look great at times.
Exactly and yet they still lost to us which is a testament to how far we've progressed as a team in the last few weeks while taking into account that our whole defense (bar Victor) that played yesterday needs replacing.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Looking at the game id say a draw was a fair result on the balance of play. But this is football.

First half Spurs were lethargic. Sloppy pass by Trippier turned over possession and Rashford was clinical. But Spurs certainly came to life in the second half and DDG heroics secured us 3 points.

crossy1686

career ending
Exactly and yet they still lost to us which is a testament to how far we've progressed as a team in the last few weeks while taking into account that our whole defense (bar Victor) that played yesterday needs replacing.
Exactly, even a World Class CB would have halved the amount of shots De Gea had to make yesterday.

Craig Ward

There will always be fans who nitpick at certain things but there isn't a lot at fault here.

DDG getting the plaudits - he is amazing but that's what he's there for. High volume of saves but none particularly difficult.

Rashford is thriving.

People slating Jones/Rom/Shaw - have a word. Jones may not be the best CB ever but he gives his all, and that's what results like this needs - 100% commitment and effort.

Lukaku is currently our impact sub due to Rashfors form. Look at how many goals he has scored in the prem - having Lukaku to come on is no bad things.

If we keep on like this with Ole - no reason to not appoint him

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Pochettino was just providing a morale boost to the team. The players would have been kicking themselves after missing chances, they know they are responsible so Pochettino wants to give them a boost. It wasn't our best performance in four years or whatever, that's hyperbolic .. it's just a manager trying to get his players back up after a sickening defeat. He knows Kane and Alli won't have slept much last night.

He's said similar things in the past, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. We played very well in the second half yesterday but we've had better performances this season alone (vs Chelsea in the league for sure).

BlueHaze

Last time we beat Tottenham away was 2012. Ole deserves big credit for that. However we wouldn't have won that without De Gea and it's worrying to me that he hasn't renewed.

crossy1686

career ending
Last time we beat Tottenham away was 2012. Ole deserves big credit for that. However we wouldn't have won that without De Gea and it's worrying to me that he hasn't renewed.
I think most players will hold of renewing until they know who the next perm manager is, I certainly would anyway.

StrettyEnder07

Imagine acting like you're the messiah because we finished poorly and De Gea had a 10/10 game.

I said there was a chance you could win, but that I didn't think it was likely. The fact that you required a keeper having the best game of his season to keep the 3 points shows I was right about that, this could happen to anybody. Unstoppable under Ole? You got played with in the second half, we carved out key chance after key chance but couldn't put them away. That's on us, the finishing was erratic.

The rest is just speculation. It's far more likely that if we get the equaliser the momentum shifts even more in our favour and we get a second. Just enjoy your win without the hyperbole and gloating, there was no unstoppable team playing yesterday, just one side who could not get the ball in the back of the net.

United played well first half, got their goal and then fair play you have a quality keeper and took advantage of our failings in front of goal.
A bit like you got "played with" in the first half yeah? We should have gone in more than a goal up with the break away chances created, Pogba had what 3 key chances in the first 15 minutes of the second half to finis the game off, so before you go around slapping yourself on the back, wind it in a bit.

The last 30 minutes Spurs were absolutely class, high energy bombing forward, created 4/5 good chances in the space of 20 minutes the other shots De Gea stopped were either from distance or comfortable so pipe down a tad.

Ole tactics first half were brilliant, no one not even the great Poch saw that coming, as I say we could have been out of sight after an hour and easily could have lost it towards the end.

Loved the fact we were throwing bodies in front of everything, Lindelof, Herrera were class.

Twice on the bounce at Wembley now, FA Cup Semi and yesterday, not to bad for a side that get toyed with hey.

LoveFootball

You forgot that before the 11 saves De Gea had to make, Pogba could have added 2 or 3 more goals?
We had game like this one under SAF too where we had to defend the lead in the last minutes of a game and our fighting spirit is what made the difference between a win/draw or a defeat.

Cantonagotmehere

It wasn’t the entirety of the second half. We made a good start in the second with Lloris denying Pogba with 3 great saves. Only really the last 30 when Tottenham started to box us in. Think you’re being a touch unfair suggesting the bus was parked.
Agreed, for sure the whole second half was not poor.

The Irish Connection

2nd half our intensity dropped as much as anything. Spurs were winning way more second balls. If Fred was more experienced in the league for us he would have been good to bring on as Matic looked a bit leggy in the last half hour.
We needed someone to cover more ground in the middle, keep possession and increase the intensity. Hopefully Fred can keep improving. A Matic replacement is needed in the next year or two.
Erickson got on the ball too much.

I suppose it’s natural enough for a team playing away to an excellent side to drop off a bit when they are sitting on a good result, but also, there was possibly a bit of Mourinho muscle memory in there too.

Anyway, hopefully we can learn from the 2nd half and come up with better tactical solutions in future. Nonetheless, class result and run we’re on. Keep it going United!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
the one thing that worried me about the game was that Ole either didn't have the know-how to adapt when Spurs changed things in the second half or we didn't have the players to make those changes -- or both. It's why I won't a more experienced manager: Max Allegri being my first choice right now

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You forgot that before the 11 saves De Gea had to make, Pogba could have added 2 or 3 more goals?
We had game like this one under SAF too where we had to defend the lead in the last minutes of a game and our fighting spirit is what made the difference between a win/draw or a defeat.
to be fair we did it under Jose too: at Arsenal last season

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Wtf? 3 goals? He had 2 chances, only one of which was 'clear'.

How is it showing fighting spirit to allow your opponent through on goal multiple times, free shots inside the box etc .. etc. De Gea was heroic and our finishing was not clever enough (gave him a chance with all of it), there's no need to conjure up a different narrative, you got three points.

Also, you weren't defending the lead for the last few minutes. We were the better team for the vast majority of the second half, Kane was through on goal midway through it, Alli not that long afterwards. We were sieging you for a long time and got the chances as a result, our only failing was in the finishing department, anybody could see that. On another day we can easily score 4 or 5 .. I mean Kane's through on goal, then he's got a free shot in the box, Alli's through and then later got the whole goal to aim at etc.

If you want to put your win down to the return of SAF style fighting spirit, then whatever, suit yourself.

ArjenIsM3

Shaw needs replacing? Thought he did fine yesterday, after Lindelof he was our best defender.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 95% of 969 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 776 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw